• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake |OT| Welcome back stranger! What are you RE-buyin'

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Holy shit what is this difficult spike on the shed section with Luis? I can't for the love of good pass through this.. And I'm playing on normal. The amount of enemies is insane. And ammo and health are pretty fucking scarse.

Last edited:
Holy shit what is this difficult spike on the shed section with Luis? I can't for the love of good pass through this.. And I'm playing on normal. The amount of enemies is insane. And ammo and health are pretty fucking scarse.
knife parries and melee; the game is testing you there if you paid attention to the mechanics.

Just finished on Hardcore as my first playthrough.

Most surprising part of the update for me was that Luis and Ashley end up being strong, LIKEABLE characters in the remake compared to walking sleaze cartoon and grating shriekbox, respectively, in the OG.

I never played RE2 OG, but love RE4 OG. Now I feel like I get why so many people praised RE2 Remake to the high heavens whereas I thought it was good-not-perfect. RE4 remake is a strong game in its own right, but I think you'll appreciate it more having played the OG upon its release.

Now onto New Game+!

BbMajor7th

The new take on Ramon Salazar is an absolute design car crash, eh? A strong contender for one of the worst bosses in the series' history - and there have been some stinkers. How does that even happen?

Last edited:

Doom85

Managed to clear it, but hot damn, I don't remember being it this hard on normal years ago. Must have used most of my stock items.

I lowered to Assisted to clear it finally, but this was also when I felt the game was telling me I need to value the Bolt Thrower, you will ultimately save a ton of ammo by using it.

Banned
His attacks clip straight through geometry and most of them stagger you for way too long. You spend your whole time looking up trying to track the teleporting bastard (because he can straight one shot you), so they litter the floor with mines... that also stagger you. Get fucked.

yeah, and he wasn't even hard, just annoying as fuck to fight.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
The new take on Ramon Salazar is an absolute design car crash, eh? A strong contender for one of the worst bosses in the series' history - and there have been some stinkers. How does that even happen?

While I definitely prefer his ridiculous, OG plant form, I actually really enjoyed that fight. Everything about it sounds horrible on paper ('mines' that stagger, a one-hit kill grab move, super fast movement speed, etc.) but none of it is as bad it seems.

The mines just teach you not to run while looking backwards with the camera, the one-hit kill is beyond telegraphed (both visually and audio wise), and his speed is mitigated by the fact that he fucking stands still when doing most of his attacks (plus he lingers for a bit after the attack as well). I did the fight without getting hit on my third try, after I figured out that I wasn't supposed to be running away from, but that I should be chasing him and baiting attacks in places where I can strafe easily or hide beyond a column. Then just wait for the attack to finish and unload in his face twice.

Basically, you're doing it wrong if you're trying to shoot him while he's zipping around.

I actually want to fight him again, LOL. It's a really fun, videogamey fight.

The main Krauser fight, now that's been butchered to hell and back, IMHO. Not a patch on the excellent knife fight that comes earlier.

Last edited:
Hey guys I keep getting Fatal D3D error.
Anyone know how to fix that?
My setting always in Yellow stage and I even lower it to White stage but still got that error.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
My setting always in Yellow stage and I even lower it to White stage but still got that error.
%D0%BA%D1%83%D0%BA%D1%83-%D0%BA%D1%83.gif

Depending on which GPU you're using:

RT - Off
Shadows - High
Textures - High (2 or 3GBs)

Also update GPU drivers.

I've 3070, almost everything truned on up to max except Shadows (High), RT (off), Textures (6GB), 1440p +130% render scale, latest NVIDIA drivers. Zero crashes.

Last edited:
%D0%BA%D1%83%D0%BA%D1%83-%D0%BA%D1%83.gif

Depending on which GPU you're using:

RT - Off
Shadows - High
Textures - High (2 or 3GBs)

Also update GPU drivers.

I've 3070, almost everything truned on up to max except Shadows (High), RT (off), Textures (6GB), 1440p +130% render scale. Zero crashes.
I've 3070 too. And already updated GPU drivers. Like I said I even lower setting to White stage but sometime still got that error.

Mozzarella

Just finished Chapter 9 and i think the Castle is the peak of the game, anybody else agrees with me? so far it has been my favorite section, the remake did it wonders.

drotahorror

Probably not the best stats hah, but it's my first playthrough since OG release.

I explored the fuck out of everything.

Such a great game. Not sure if I'll jump right back in so soon but I hope to eventually.

Hardest part in the game was the Cabin with Luis imo. I also never upgraded any weapons until the Castle, maybe that would have helped.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Turn off RT. Increase textures to 8GB. Enjoy.

Doesnt matter if you stay within the VRAM limit, RT mode adds way more stuff to vram and it crashes every time it goes over. On 10 GB cards, it is recommended to go with 2GB textures if you want RT on so on your card you will have to go with medium textures which is just a big waste of your GPU.

RT reflections are awful in this game and 99% of the time they arent even in the areas you are in but the data stays in the vram anyway. Just turn off RT and increase textures to max or 6GB if you see performance issues and have fun.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I've 3070 too. And already updated GPU drivers. Like I said I even lower setting to White stage but sometime still got that error.
Well, fuck...
giphy.gif

I guess you have to wait for the fix for this BS then, like pretty much the rest of us.

RE2 and RE3 in their original launch form didn't had these issues and anyone could play them maxed out without any crashes related to VRAM, and then they've updated them with awful af RT and just like RE4 they have the same VRAM crashes now, unless you'll restore original launch versions via properties. I honestly don't think they'll fix this as RE2 and RE3 was abandoned since RT update.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I saw that today lol. There's actually so many exploits that are actually built into the game for speedrun. I love that extra attention to detail from devs.

Last run I managed to killed the Armored El Gigante, and when Luis came running back with the Dynamite he was like "Eh? What happened?"
yeah, i just love replaying RE games because the devs understand that we want to replay their games. there are no walking and talking sections. you can skip all cutscenes and bullshit comms dialogue. every level feels tight and has no long treks just to get to the next chapter. every room serves a purpose.

i just sat down to play my second run, and within an hour i had completely chapter 3 without skipping a single encounter or enemy. Every developer, especially sony developers need to learn from these games. you dont need to make 50 hour games. just make a 20 hour game i can replay over and over again.

Puscifer

From what I understand, this was made by the RE 2 Remake team. Not sure I get the Platinum comparison, doesn’t feel like one of their games to me.
RE:3make had a lot of workers who split from Platinum. The reason I say this is because the Dodge and parry mechanics feel like a platinum game and therefore I'm wondering how much of that staff worked on this one

bender

What time is it?
Rolled credits. It's a great remake but I still prefer the original. I only have a handful of niggles about the game. The balance changes to accommodate being able to move and shoot work for the most part with the exception of the Regenerators. I don't mind the cut content so much, but somehow this game clocked in at a similar length than the original which could be argued dragged on a bit. That's mostly due to the increased amount of treasures, side quests and the new spinel system which often requires backtracking or at the very least slowing down. I don't see those as positive additions but I wouldn't say they are negative either. I prefer the campy tone of the original but that's obviously is a matter of preference. I do kind of hate the knife degradation system. I get wanting to balance out the parry system and knife counters once grappled, but it really feels like it is there to suck up Peseta and the secondary knifes eat up inventory space. I'd have preferred some type of stamina or cooldown system instead (and yes I know you can unlock a knife with unlimited durability). I'm also not terribly found of the crafting system with parts and gunpowder. It just feels like something else to eat up inventory space. All and all, those are fairly minor gripes.

yeah, i just love replaying RE games because the devs understand that we want to replay their games. there are no walking and talking sections. you can skip all cutscenes and bullshit comms dialogue. every level feels tight and has no long treks just to get to the next chapter. every room serves a purpose.

i just sat down to play my second run, and within an hour i had completely chapter 3 without skipping a single encounter or enemy. Every developer, especially sony developers need to learn from these games. you dont need to make 50 hour games. just make a 20 hour game i can replay over and over again.

Just thinking of the walk n talk slog of TLOU2 or Uncharted 4 makes me cringe

Couldn’t replay either of them despite being great first playthroughs

RE has a much better balance

Last edited:

SCB3

Ada looks stupid hot. They did a good job on her. Still on the island. I forgot how big this section is.
Shame about the VO, I don't think shes bad per se, the recording sounds off like she was recorded in a different studio than everyone else or over Zoom or something

GymWolf

Ada is basically videogame kristin kreuk, and i'm all for it, she make look cute ashley like a toothless crack addict in comparison.

The exchanges between her and leon are super cringe tho:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Edit: lol of course the purple weirdos opened a topic about ashley being a furry rat, you can't make this shit up:lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:
I would have preferred to have more action and less puzzles. I found having to solve one after another took away the momentum considerably. Like, not long after completing the puzzle outside the church, I had another one inside of it.

The ones in the lab where you have to restore the power were not too tricky, once I got the hang of them.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Finished last night. Overall great though there's still aspects of the original I prefer. Still think something weird happened to the controls on console between RE2 and this, something felt off the whole time that I don't remember with RE2. Too sluggish for the kind of game that it is, I might just be blaming my own inability on it, but the aiming at times was really frustrating in a way that wasn't fun. Gonna retry on PC another day and see if that helps, it felt pretty good in the demo.

Prefer the original's campy tone but this was fine, I actually didn't hate Ashley at all, some of the new VO is good, especially Leon. Ramon got nerfed. Found it funny that the final boss battle was easier than the opening village for me but I guess by that point I had 8 magnum rounds left to blow. Not super interested in doing all the side stuff, skipped a lot of it and gave up the shooting galleries after the first two because the prize system is so shit. I got near worthless keychains 6 times using gold/silver tokens.

Hasn't blown me away as much as the 2 remake did but again, 4 barely needed updating. I suppose (ending spoilers) the 5 remake is next up given one of the credits scenes. Should be interesting.

Fallen below the Dead Space remake for me this year which was a flat-out improvement across the board and still more than just a facelift. Hi-Fi Rush still GOTY thus far but it's a long year. This game did make me want to immediately replay REmake 2 and/or try out the original 4 in VR, might be an RE-heavy April for me!

Last edited:
Well, fuck...
giphy.gif

I guess you have to wait for the fix for this BS then, like pretty much the rest of us.

RE2 and RE3 in their original launch form didn't had these issues and anyone could play them maxed out without any crashes related to VRAM, and then they've updated them with awful af RT and just like RE4 they have the same VRAM crashes now, unless you'll restore original launch versions via properties. I honestly don't think they'll fix this as RE2 and RE3 was abandoned since RT update.
Turn off RT. Increase textures to 8GB. Enjoy.

Doesnt matter if you stay within the VRAM limit, RT mode adds way more stuff to vram and it crashes every time it goes over. On 10 GB cards, it is recommended to go with 2GB textures if you want RT on so on your card you will have to go with medium textures which is just a big waste of your GPU.

RT reflections are awful in this game and 99% of the time they arent even in the areas you are in but the data stays in the vram anyway. Just turn off RT and increase textures to max or 6GB if you see performance issues and have fun.

Oh righttt. I think it's RT . I turned it off and even go beyond the Vram usage and have no crash at all.
Thanks guys.

Last edited:
yeah the salazar fight is fine, you don't even really have to full keep track of him, just kinda look where the tentacles shoot out to, and you can hear him charging up for that heavy slam attack; it will never hit you if you are moving away from it.

Madflavor

I always knew the OG RE4 was campy, but now that I have the Remake to compare it to, it really cements just how outright goofy that game was at times. I think I clearly don't have as much love for OG Salazar as some people here do. The Original game was one of the spookiest and most atmospheric games of it's time, until you get to the Castle. The moment you meet Salazar is the point where the game's tone completely shifts into full campy territory. The Castle is so bright and well lit, and Salazar is mocking you every step of the way like a Saturday morning cartoon villain. I like what they did with him in the Remake. The background lore they gave him works. I think with the tone the Remake was going for, if they tried to put OG Salazar in there with his "EEEEEEHAHAHAHAAHA! Mr. Scott Kennedaaaaay!" it wouldn't have worked and would've been a worse tonal whiplash than the original.

Looking back on it, he might be the goofiest villain in the series, which is saying considering because Alfred Ashford was a thing.
10778_resident-evil-4-prev.png

I give them huge props for not Naughty-Dog-ifying this remake, same with Dead Space. They both show you can absolutely do "modern" without constantly wresting control away from the player. Like when you fight, what's his name Big Cheese, in the burning house. The cutscene after escaping the house seems like it sets itself up for walk & talk but instead Leon goes "no time for that let's move" and I was back in full control like 10 seconds in. Fucking beautiful, this is what I want. World building absolutely is not sacrificed by letting players just play, that shit is nonsense.

Mind you I'm saying that as a huge fan of TLoU2 for example but the Naughty-Dog-ification of every damn franchise has been insufferable to me. I'm probably just old but I don't care, if a game rips control away from me for longer than like 10 seconds, I get pissed. Actual cutscenes are different imo, you can skip those. But slow walk & talk segments are the absolute worst shit in modern gaming to me.

I feel like I live in opposite world with this one. I'm five hours in and I just don't see anything wildly great here and I think this game has quite the issues. I really like the original but I'm not a rabid fanboy or anything so a remake was welcome by me. It's just that I feel like ultimately the combat changes here don't really improve encounters in any meaningful way and the comically shitty character movement and controls make combat in general feel markedly worse. Am I a fan of tank controls? No. But at least the encounters and controls in OG feel like they work in tandem. Remake feels like I'm trying to maneuver a popsicle stick in a jar of peanut butter around a bunch of rabid dogs. There's something fundamentally unsatisfactory to me about how Leon moves vs. how nimble and agile villagers feel in comparison.

I feel like they tried to spruce up the Survival Horror in this to get it more in line with the remakes thus far and it just isn't working for me. I love that concept in theory but seemingly purposefully making Leon control like a heavy smoker trapped in a tar pit isn't more Survival Horror to me, it just makes the combat feel unwieldy, imprecise and obnoxious. The knife parry addition is absolutely cool and I like it quite a lot but then we have an addition like the absolutely garbage magnetic grabs that seem to have no cooldown nor limit. Take the Abandoned Factory cliffs set piece for example. On Hardcore, I can't tell how often I got stunlocked into a grab > dynamite > grab routine. It seems like for every positive I get a negative that outweighs the positive greatly. I think the reason people still love RE4 is the shockingly good balancing and encounter design they achieved and I'm not feeling that here.

I like the new coat of paint a lot but I'm really surprised by the amount of glowing reviews. It's doubly absurd to me considering Dead Space Remake just sharpened the original game's actual gameplay and level design as close to perfection as it can get and I saw a lot of criticism about it not doing enough somehow. Meanwhile I feel like 4R does the opposite and introduces things just to do something different and in the process messes up the delicate balance of what was great about the original to begin with. And also, I absolutely loved RE2R and also think Dead Space Remake is vastly better than the original so I'm not having a nostalgia fit.

PS: I also dislike the overall new tone I admit. Something is lost in this wishy-washy "not ultra grimdark but not campy anymore" and it comes out feeling a bit dull and gray overall. In trying to make everyone more serious, they just kind of come off as simply more dull to me.
I will gladly tell my past self that I've warmed up to the game quite a bit more and I stand behind this message any longer.

-this message is approved by TerribleAtThisOpinion

SlimySnake

I give them huge props for not Naughty-Dog-ifying this remake, same with Dead Space. They both show you can absolutely do "modern" without constantly wresting control away from the player. Like when you fight, what's his name Big Cheese, in the burning house. The cutscene after escaping the house seems like it sets itself up for walk & talk but instead Leon goes "no time for that let's move" and I was back in full control like 10 seconds in. Fucking beautiful, this is what I want. World building absolutely is not sacrificed by letting players just play, that shit is nonsense.

Mind you I'm saying that as a huge fan of TLoU2 for example but the Naughty-Dog-ification of every damn franchise has been insufferable to me. I'm probably just old but I don't care, if a game rips control away from me for longer than like 10 seconds, I get pissed. Actual cutscenes are different imo, you can skip those. But slow walk & talk segments are the absolute worst shit in modern gaming to me.
Oh yeah. God of War Ragnorak was so much worse than TLOU2 in this regard. I played that game 3 times back to back and it broke me. Everyone talks about the ironwood level, but the entire game was like this.. I was playing it on the hardest difficulty and the hardest thing was the constant walking sections with atreus, with kratos and his wife, and unskippable fucking cutscenes.

The worst thing were loading realm sections that have long 1 minute dialogues to mask PS4s long load times but on PS5, it loads in seconds so you would just have wait for the dialogue to end before the realm door appeared. I was shocked to see almost instant loading times in the loading realm after the game ended and I had exhausted all the dialogues.

Just thinking of the walk n talk slog of TLOU2 or Uncharted 4 makes me cringe

Couldn’t replay either of them despite being great first playthroughs

RE has a much better balance
God of war is even worse. See above.

Oh yeah. God of War Ragnorak was so much worse than TLOU2 in this regard. I played that game 3 times back to back and it broke me. Everyone talks about the ironwood level, but the entire game was like this.. I was playing it on the hardest difficulty and the hardest thing was the constant walking sections with atreus, with kratos and his wife, and unskippable fucking cutscenes.

The worst thing were loading realm sections that have long 1 minute dialogues to mask PS4s long load times but on PS5, it loads in seconds so you would just have wait for the dialogue to end before the realm door appeared. I was shocked to see almost instant loading times in the loading realm after the game ended and I had exhausted all the dialogues.
I fully admit that I didn't buy Ragnarok because of this. My friend, who is way more tolerant of this stuff, raged about the "constant movie shit" in our group chat and I was like yeah, nah I'm good. I already hated the amount of constant babbling in the original and Ragnarok sounds way worse.

And with TLoU2 I do think that ND actually struck a better balance than the original. That game is way more gameplay-heavy and less restrictive than the original. Also when the gameplay is fucking sublime urban guerilla warfare simulator, I can put up with some of its silly Hollywood-isms.

Funny people mentioning RE4R not going TLOU, but there is a scene towards the end that I would bet $100 was influenced by TLOU: nearly-dead Leon carrying nearly-dead Ashley to Luis' lab. It was fine and effective on a first playthrough, but it'll be a 3-minute slog on replays.

SCB3

Just finished Chapter 9 and i think the Castle is the peak of the game, anybody else agrees with me? so far it has been my favorite section, the remake did it wonders.
Yea just finished that myself, so creepy and thrill inducing, only died once due to my own mistake however

Top Bottom