• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 5 Demo up on US Marketplace.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
C- Warrior said:
I wish the game controlled like Dead Space (innovative comment no? -- but all the more true).

I don't care about shooting and walking at the same time, nor do the menu/inventory set-up bothers me.

What gets to me is how I constantly have to switch between the run button and the right analog. Why in the hell don't they just include the run/walk function into the left analog stick like 100% of other games out there, letting you freely turn, move rotate via the right analog.

Despite this the game is still fun though.
clicking down on the left stick = run ;)

calder

Teknoman said:
Did you have any problems with the contrast getting all weird after sending out an invite?
No, nothing weird happened at all. I almost expected something to gimp up, because I downloaded the Biohazard demo from the JPN Store last night and my brother downloaded the NA demo today.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Gigante fight looks great, I'm glad they're not just recycling the exact same mechanics as the RE4 one.

18 hour (probably somewhere between 10-15 for me) single player game with varied environments!?

Fuck yeah.

What a clusterfuck of a demo. It looks now-gen, but the gameplay feels archaic. It's fun, but it's also frustrating. I don't know what to think of it.

Where are the guys who were having the friend invite issues. I redownloaded the demo and it didn't fix anything. Then I decided to try it out on some of my other accounts, and it worked.

So why would it work on my other accounts and not my main one. The only thing I can think of that is really different is the amount of friends on my friend list. So to those with the same issue, how many friends do you have.

Shouta

Linkzg said:
I compared the 360 verison to the PS3 version, and while the 360 verison looks much better because of different demo builds (or something else), the one odd thing is that the contract and black levels of the PS3 version were much better on my TV. It could either be just the demo, which is what I'm basically asking, or the fact that my PS3 is hooked up through HDMI while 360 is component. So is it just the demo or is does the HDMI make that big of a difference?

Graphics aside, the PS3 version had more enemies it seemed to me.

Anyway, on the graphics, I actually kind of like the look of the PS3 version. It doesn't have some of the neat effects but it seemed a lot more prominent, for lack of a better word.

Shouta said:

Anyway, on the graphics, I actually kind of like the look of the PS3 version. It doesn't have some of the neat effects but it seemed a lot more prominent, for lack of a better word.

I think I know what you're talking about, but I just attributed to how the console displayed black colors and all that. That's what it comes off as most to me.

In the end I will get the game for 360, but It still confuses me why it's so different with this one game. I wish I could take pictures to illustrate exactly what I'm talking about.

At first I was like fuck these control suck, even though I loved RE4.

Now I can't fucking wait. All the complaining about the controls washes away after you just learn how to use them. I had to relearn, I guess, but it's all good. As long as all the levels aren't as claustrophobic as the demo, totally buying.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Linkzg said:
I think I know what you're talking about, but I just attributed to how the console displayed black colors and all that. That's what it comes off as most to me.

In the end I will get the game for 360, but It still confuses me why it's so different with this one game. I wish I could take pictures to illustrate exactly what I'm talking about.
I know what you mean. My 360 is plugged up through component cables and my PS3 through HDMI. My PS3 gets much better blacks as well.

I always just assumed it was the connections.

My friend and I keep getting "The game session has been cancelled" when we try to setup a 'partner' co-op game. Is anyone else getting this tonight? I hope this is a temporary connection issue...

Sectus

Comp10-00-00-00.jpg

Comp10-00-46-29.jpg

Comp10-01-07-25.jpg

Comp10-02-53-25.jpg

Comp10-02-55-08.jpg

Comp10-02-58-13.jpg

Comp10-05-15-11.jpg

Comp10-05-48-16.jpg

Comp10-06-23-18.jpg

Comp10-07-00-25.jpg

Comp10-02-23-23.jpg

Comp10-02-24-08.jpg

That anyone could hate on this awesomeness makes me sad.

No puzzles?! Oh dear, looks like it may really be just a straight shooter like GOW after all :(

RE4 was great because you had plenty of puzzles and tasks which broke up the main action, I do hope that RE5 follows in the same suit!

If not, then Capcom really have forgotten the old RE :(

Nuclear Muffin said:
No puzzles?! Oh dear, looks like it may really be just a straight shooter like GOW after all :(

RE4 was great because you had plenty of puzzles and tasks which broke up the main action, I do hope that RE5 follows in the same suit!

If not, then Capcom really have forgotten the old RE :(

RE4 didn't really have much in terms of puzzles. It was nothing more than buying some time for a minute at most. The 95% percent of the time was kicking ass in sweet situations though.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
RE4 had puzzles?

I mean, you sorta had to find things to continue, and vaguely recall where to use them, but they used themselves, and combining key items was dead simple.

Don't make RE4 out to be something it wasn't. There was no mental stressing in it at all.

Which is fine.

Sectus

ssoass said:
Graphics aren't everything.

Though I haven't played the demo, just saying.
Oh, I don't mean to imply graphics is the only reason I like the demo. Awesome gameplay + awesome graphics = a nice amount of awesomeness.

Ploid 3.0

I spent some time with this game, and it feels like I'm wrestling a oiled up smooth skin giant alligator. I tried quite a few of the control schemes. The one where the right analog is to look around, while having the left do all of the navigational controls works best I guess. But man why couldn't they have just made the enemies more lethal and less hesitant to hit you, and given us the option to control like deadspace. I didn't play RE4 so I had no experience with this control set. The other RE games did some auto aim iirc (lime MGS1 and the socom gun).

I tried to co op with a friend but my screen would turn dark gray and I can't see anything with it like that.

72rlub.jpg

The game looks very pretty though. Will see if capcom add a new control scheme or something. Maybe I'll give the game some more tries. I can walk all over that little room full of enemies and that axe dude, and it seemed like they hardly touch me if I keep moving. I have to save computer character though. It took me a while before I found out that I didn't have to stay in that room.

Ploid 3.0

Maybe a dlc on psn/xbla that adds Deadspace controls. Move slow when you are aiming, and increase the ability of the enemies. Make them more deadly, more likely to attack you when in range or have longer range attacks (spit, tongue lash, leaps). They can call it something like the megaman pack.

I think the controls issue is amplified for me because I quit after Code Veronica, and went straight to Deadspace. This stop pivot stuff is confusing the mess out of me. I get my knife out and I want to inch up a bit more but I have to lower my weapon. It reminds me of something I did in saints row with the AI. This AI was trying to attack me with a knife but I was walking away slowly. They'd move up get in range then swing, but miss because I'd then be out of range. I walked all over just laughing at them for not being able to slash me while I was walking. Now here I am seeing how that AI was feeling.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If there is uproar enough, I reckon we'll see moving and shooting (with adjusted AI) as an option in the PC version, and maybe a console patch at that time.

But I really doubt it, Capcom PR has been flat-out saying no to patching the moving and shooting controls in in the future.

Ploid 3.0

They can't avoid it for RE6 then. I don't have a gaming PC. I'd rather DLC, and free ; ; (yea right). But if it adds enough to that game I'd pay $5 for it. I could push through the game like it is now though, I just have to adjust to it. It looks so perdy.

Truant

Shouta said:

It begins :lol

Aaron

Ploid 3.0 said:
They can't avoid it for RE6 then. I don't have a gaming PC. I'd rather DLC, and free ; ; (yea right). But if it adds enough to that game I'd pay $5 for it. I could push through the game like it is now though, I just have to adjust to it. It looks so perdy.
Unless the sales of RE5 tank, they can most certainly avoid it. Just because you want something doesn't mean the majority does.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Aaron said:
Unless the sales of RE5 tank, they can most certainly avoid it. Just because you want something doesn't mean the majority does.
I think it's a very safe bet, at the moment, that moving while shooting controls will at the very least be an option in RE6.

And I'm all for it, honestly. Anything to stop the whining. =p

Yagharek

How the hell do you kill the chainsaw guy in the second level? I reckon he took 4 barrels, two grenades and a few clips of 9mm and he still didnt go down.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RandomVince said:
How the hell do you kill the chainsaw guy in the second level? I reckon he took 4 barrels, two grenades and a few clips of 9mm and he still didnt go down.
Aiming for the head is the most important thing. Two pistol shots usually stun him (assuming he's not already in his mad laughter "I'm gonna swing this thing and kill ya" animation. When he is stunned, run up and melee him. Also, like you were doing, grenades and barrels really help.

Yagharek

Rez>You said:
Aiming for the head is the most important thing. Two pistol shots usually stun him (assuming he's not already in his mad laughter "I'm gonna swing this thing and kill ya" animation. When he is stunned, run up and melee him. Also, like you were doing, grenades and barrels really help.

Rightyo, thanks. I think I was trying to shoot his legs to slow him down, thinking his head was a bit protected by bag + chains.

edit: my 2c on the controls. Scheme A/Resi 4 style is what I use. Never had any problems with RE4, although I prefered the Wii edn controls. Never got really good at either version though, but that is aside from the controls. Got stuck into other games at the same time.

RE5 controls are fine for my liking. Kind of a pain when you need to make room between yourself and a dangerous enemy or crowd, but I guess it adds to the overwhelming aspect of the game.

I dont really like the trend today of all dual analog games having the same scheme in everything or fps controls being 100% identical in all similar games. It makes me feel as if Im playing the same game with a different graphics filter. RE4-style or tank controls make me feel like Im playing an RE game. To me they aren't outdated, just different.

bomb_jack

I know this is all based on the demo but the two 'bosses' seem really cheap compared to the chainsaw guys from RE4. In RE4 they seemed to react better to being shot.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Type A all the way. I might try out some more Type C later, but I hate having to move my thumb from the stick to the run button. I need to test out the whole clicking the stick to run thing.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I've just decided to preorder it for my shiny new Jasper Arcade. I've never really bothered to buy live so my friendlist is empty. But I will for RE5. Gamertag is kamorra. Come on be my friend! ;)

Dever

Banned
The controls(D) are fine imo, I can see why they don't want you to move while shooting. Dying is extremely frustrating in this demo though, since you have to fo all the way back to the beginning because of a slight mistake against one of the bosses. For example just now I had a perfectly lined up headshot awaiting the chainsaw guy only to notice that my clip was empty as I pulled the trigger. Chris started to reload which a) takes fucking forever b) can't be interrupted c)immobilizes you, making you a sitting duck. So yeah I got cut in half. Not a real complaint since it was really my fault for not reloading before.

Overall the game is pretty intense, and I like co-operating with Sheva. It's a shame that I can't see myself ever being scared in a game like this. The zombie AI needs some improving, too.. Haven't tried any form of co-op yet. Oh and the inventory is shitty.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
C- Warrior said:
I wish the game controlled like Dead Space (innovative comment no? -- but all the more true).
I think the same controls like in Dead Space wouldn't work for RE5. The gameplay-mechanic is totally different since you have to cut bodyparts. That makes aiming much more easy.

Can't stand this game.

Yeah it might be ok if you want to play co-op but as a single player game it sucks. Can't stand having to look after that fucking ammo-stealing bitch all the time - why can't I just go off on my own!??

Is the whole game like that?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Twicenightly said:
Can't stand this game.

Yeah it might be ok if you want to play co-op but as a single player game it sucks. Can't stand having to look after that fucking ammo-stealing bitch all the time - why can't I just go off on my own!??

Yes, the whole game is co-op. If you can't get past learning some simple mechanics in order to make the AI a non-issue, then you probably won't enjoy the game.

Captain N

Twicenightly said:
Can't stand this game.

she'll be with you the whole time.

Aaron

Rez>You said:
I think it's a very safe bet, at the moment, that moving while shooting controls will at the very least be an option in RE6.
I don't think it will, for the same reason Final Fantasy is going back to menu based battles. A fundamental change like that would alter the whole structure of RE, and I really don't see Capcom doing that with a main franchise. For all the differences Street Fighter 4 has from the previous games, it's still definitely a Street Fighter game. No one is going to mistake it for King of Fighters, and no one is going to mistake RE6 for Gears of War.

Thanks guys, won't be buying this then. I get nagged enough at home and if when I take some time out to play a game I don't want to get nagged by this cow telling me what to do all the time - fuck off! Let me enjoy the game bitch! :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Aaron said:
I don't think it will, for the same reason Final Fantasy is going back to menu based battles. A fundamental change like that would alter the whole structure of RE, and I really don't see Capcom doing that with a main franchise. For all the differences Street Fighter 4 has from the previous games, it's still definitely a Street Fighter game. No one is going to mistake it for King of Fighters, and no one is going to mistake RE6 for Gears of War.
Whether or not not being able to move and shoot belongs in an RE game is a bit of a messy issue for me. I can see both arguments. ;)

Put it this way, I have no problems with the controls either way, however, if the game gets heavily criticised for the lack of movement whilst shooting, I can't see Capcom ignoring it.

Aaron

Rez>You said:
Whether or not not being able to move and shoot belongs in an RE game is a bit of a messy issue for me. I can see both arguments. ;)

Put it this way, I have no problems with the controls either way, however, if the game gets heavily criticised for the lack of movement whilst shooting, I can't see Capcom ignoring it.
I think you have a very skewed notion in how closely Capcom follows criticisms. Before you use Dead Rising as an example, it's clear to me the Wii version was dumbed down to support their perception of that console, not people chafing over the time limit. I don't recall anyone complaining about the ability to jump or carry more than one melee weapon in that game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Aaron said:
I think you have a very skewed notion in how closely Capcom follows criticisms. Before you use Dead Rising as an example, it's clear to me the Wii version was dumbed down to support their perception of that console, not people chafing over the time limit. I don't recall anyone complaining about the ability to jump or carry more than one melee weapon in that game.
I remember hearing a quote from Takeuchi (RE5 producer) saying that they were listening closely to what the fans had to say about past games, and changing things in subsequent games as a result (he wasn't referring to RE5 specifically, but the series in general).

But yeah, it could've just been PR fluff. :)

*shrug*

Brakara

Aaron said:
and no one is going to mistake RE6 for Gears of War.

Well, no one is mistaking Dead Space for Gears of War. Adding the ability to walk (very slowly) while aiming wouldn't alter much of the structure of RE at all.

Top Bottom