• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 5 Demo up on US Marketplace.

i tried and i tried... played single player demo, played a couple of co-op levels...and came to the awefull conclusion that this game is not a MUST buy for me.. I still MIGHT buy it, but only if there is nothing more appealing to me in that period.... It's just the way it is...

RE4 was the game of last gen for me though,...

Teknoman

RE5 will be/is awesome, but im sure the same RE fans that didnt like RE4...wont be swayed by RE5. Either way, i'll be available as a PS3 and 360 demo co-op partner, but going 360 for retail.

Davey Cakes

Two things:

A hyped game like RE5 can't get less than 90% in more than a couple of reviews. It's just impossible.

The first reviews of hyped games are usually always high.

Sectus

[Nintex] said:
I think this game will surprise us just like RE4 did, I'm wondering what the other locales are. I don't want to know about them before the release though... :(
Yeah, I'm really curious about all of the areas and bosses in the game, but I want it to remain a surprise. I knew basically nothing about RE4 before I played it, and it was nice to be continously surprised by what the game threw at me. If there's going to be more and more stuff revealed from the game I think I'll just avoid any RE threads and forums until release.

Teknoman said:
RE5 will be/is awesome, but im sure the same RE fans that didnt like RE4...wont be swayed by RE5. Either way, i'll be available as a PS3 and 360 demo co-op partner, but going 360 for retail.

I cannot understand how anyone that loved RE4 could not like this game. Its going to be a great fantastic game. As mindblowing as RE4 was at the time, no way. But it clearly offers that same type of intense gameplay.

Volcynika

Teknoman said:

:(

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Wow...so...I think the lack of puzzles might piss me off more than anything else.

And that better only be part of the boss fight....

Capcom...wtf...

Teknoman

Volcynika said:

Well I haven't committed yet. Now that i've got the official Playstation headset...I might go PS3. Dunno yet.

I will be going 360 for Street Fighter IV though. PSN made me mad with SSFIITHDR.

Oldschoolgamer said:
Wow...so...I think the lack of puzzles might piss me off more than anything else.

And that better only be part of the boss fight....

Capcom...wtf...

If you liked RE4, lack of puzzles should be no problem...even though I wanted co-op puzzles :lol

Davey Cakes

You know what would be nice? If this game would just come out already.

I'm just tired of speculation, judging the demo, judging screenshots, and I'm especially not keen on reading reviews. I just want to play.

The "no puzzles" comment confirmed the only aspect of RE5 that I really wanted clarity on. Now I know the co-op in RE5 won't be used in the cool, puzzle-solving ways that it was in RE0 (which is a little disappointing), but rather for pure action purposes. Any other news I couldn't care less about.

[Nintex]

Rash said:

I'm just tired of speculation, judging the demo, judging screenshots, and I'm especially not keen on reading reviews. I just want to play.

The "no puzzles" comment confirmed the only aspect of RE5 that I really wanted clarity on. Now I know the co-op in RE5 won't be used in the cool, puzzle-solving ways that it was in RE0 (which is a little disappointing), but rather for pure action purposes. Any other news I couldn't care less about.
I think they accelerated the hype train a bit too soon, Street Fighter IV isn't out yet to keep us busy and this demo only makes the wait harder :(

Teknoman

NA demo for PS3 doesnt seem to have any framerate hiccups so far. Just at the Axecutioner cutscene before the rush.

Moving on.

FightyF

Banned
I ran a Halo 3 LAN party at a community center just recently, and after it was all said and done we decided to play Castle Crashers and stuff. We were playing on a projector pulled back so the screen was 5m wide.

We also tried the RE5 demo, and playing on that massive screen...looked freaking gorgeous! I had a friend who played RE4 quite a bit play the demo, and it was great as we had a small crowd of people left over watching and everyone was totally into it. So many close calls, so many times where he was getting ambushed...when in the hands of a capable player the game looked real exciting.

I would be buying this game if I weren't picking up SFIV with a stick and a pad. Now I gotta budget for it.

Teknoman

Wow PS3 controls do feel a little better. Small framerate dips are noticeable though. Its not game breaking, but definitely there for the demo.

USD

Wow, the shotgun has ridiculously long range. You can shoot at enemies from a hundred feet away (though obviously with little damage), and it always grounds them.

Teknoman

USD said:
Wow, the shotgun has ridiculously long range. You can shoot at enemies from a hundred feet away (though obviously with little damage), and it always grounds them.

So the BSAA borrowed COG equipment? Nice :lol

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Teknoman said:
If you liked RE4, lack of puzzles should be no problem...even though I wanted co-op puzzles :lol

I'm hoping they mean that it's like RE4, in that sense. For one, I thought most of the puzzles in the old RE games were stupid as shit. I mean...why do I need to find a sun, moon, an emerald, a painting, a toenail of a tyrant, the right testicle from Doctor Birkin, to combine it to make a key...when I have this huge fucking gun that can shoot out the lock and let me walk the fuck in. RE4 faked it, to an extent. I guess that quote needs more context.

Co-op puzzles would have been lovely.

Zenith

Banned
USD said:

That's actually how shotguns behave in real life.

Teknoman

Oldschoolgamer said:
I'm hoping they mean that it's like RE4, in that sense. For one, I thought most of the puzzles in the old RE games were stupid as shit. I mean...why do I need to find a sun, moon, an emerald, a painting, a toenail of a tyrant, the right testicle from Doctor Birkin, to combine it to make a key...when I have this huge fucking gun that can shoot out the lock and let me walk the fuck in. RE4 faked it, to an extent. I guess that quote needs more context.

Co-op puzzles would have been lovely.

Yeah, they probably mean classic RE puzzles. I dont think Capcom would destroy small stuff like the right oil filling combo or finding keys etc.

Sectus

Teknoman said:
Well I haven't committed yet. Now that i've got the official Playstation headset...I might go PS3. Dunno yet.
You know what the right choice is... get both 360 and PS3 copies :p

Rash said:

Well, the puzzles they had in RE0 wouldn't really work with a human player anyway. All the puzzles are either completely singleplayer, or one player is stuck while waiting for the other.

The only real coop puzzle I can remember is on the train where one character has to run back to solve a quick math puzzle, and after that the other character does something similar in another part of the train. That puzzle could have been done in realtime with 2 players, but on the other hand... imagine if one player was bad at math and you'd had to keep re-doing that sequence over and over.

I am disappointed there's no puzzles, but well, it's designed for coop with human players so I can understand why they didn't add any.

Type D would have been awesome if I could actually aim with the left stick instead of the right one.

Type A would've been just like RE4 if only X and [] would be switched.

Dammit Crapcom!

Erebus

the_zombie_luke said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-vEW3Fj7tU
At 1:30 this Capcom guy says there will be an option to move while shooting. Maybe the final game will have more control options? I kind of hope they do, but I'm getting the game regardless.

It has been posted like a million times already. The OPM UK and the German GAMEPRO reviews don't mention anything about it.

EDIT: Beaten

Tom Penny

Does watching a Blu-Ray movie affect downloading the demo? It's going to take so damn long I figure I'm hoping I can watch a movie while I wait.

BigBoss

Tom Penny said:
Does watching a Blu-Ray movie affect downloading the demo? It's going to take so damn long I figure I'm hoping I can watch a movie while I wait.

Your download will be stopped while you watch A DVD or BluRay movie.

Erebus

Tom Penny said:

I think watching a Blu-Ray movie actually disconnects you from the PSN. I'm not sure though.

Morts

In between my first playthrough of the demo and my second I bought my first LCD tv. I no longer have any gripes with the controls.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Yeah, at this point I'm fine with the controls.

The problem now is how enemies move and react to being shot at the same way they did in RE4. Shooting the "zombies" feels so...banal (really, the only word that came to mind). And banality is not fun.

Zzoram

I tried the demo. I can't stand it, because the last game I played was Dead Space.

RE5 looks great, the way items drop and most of the design is fine, but the controls are ass. If only you could walk slowly while aiming like in Dead Space, it would make things much less frustrating. You don't have to be able to run, just walking really slowly is good.

The zombies come too fast, and there are too many of them, for you to be able to enjoy this game when you can't even very slowly move while aiming.

I compared the 360 verison to the PS3 version, and while the 360 verison looks much better because of different demo builds (or something else), the one odd thing is that the contract and black levels of the PS3 version were much better on my TV. It could either be just the demo, which is what I'm basically asking, or the fact that my PS3 is hooked up through HDMI while 360 is component. So is it just the demo or is does the HDMI make that big of a difference?

outsidah

Well I tried it now a couple of times.. first solo and just now online.

I must say I enjoyed it more as I learned the controls and got my head out of GOW2 and the like.. I had the best time online with a nameless partner who didnt talk at all but was more fun than playing with the AI.

I think it could be fun with the right partner.

Zzoram

Linkzg said:
I compared the 360 verison to the PS3 version, and while the 360 verison looks much better because of different demo builds (or something else), the one odd thing is that the contract and black levels of the PS3 version were much better on my TV. It could either be just the demo, which is what I'm basically asking, or the fact that my PS3 is hooked up through HDMI while 360 is component. So is it just the demo or is does the HDMI make that big of a difference?

I doubt it's the HDMI, but it's possible. Did you try adjusting contrast?

Teknoman

Zzoram said:
I tried the demo. I can't stand it, because the last game I played was Dead Space.

RE5 looks great, the way items drop and most of the design is fine, but the controls are ass. If only you could walk slowly while aiming like in Dead Space, it would make things much less frustrating. You don't have to be able to run, just walking really slowly is good.

The zombies come too fast, and there are too many of them, for you to be able to enjoy this game when you can't even very slowly move while aiming.

I'll post the same thing I posted in the PS3 topic:

Umm jump out of the window and run away, collecting stuff along the way. Afterwards take out what you can while surviving? Block the windows with shelves to stock up on what you can. Hold your ground till Axexcutioner comes through, lure him into the building (he'll bust through anyway), then book it to the other side of the area/higher ground.

Its not that hard, and the axe dude is pretty easy to dodge. Also you gotta use your melee attacks (punches, flip kicks, uppercuts, etc) and know when to kill something or when to just down/stagger it.

Sometimes you arent supposed to kill everything.

calder

Control type D really is the only way this game is even playable. After just *hating* it my first playthrough, I tried the co-op with my brother online. Worked fine, and talking shit while playing did make it pretty fun. Will still pick it up, but if not for co-op (and a few friends who want to play it online) I would definitely give it a pass.

Joining/creating online sessions on PS3 was a bit cumbersome at first as the screen just says "invite friend" but doesn't actually mention going to the XMB, but it always connected and never dropped. No lag or any network problems I could see, but my brother and I are in the same city and use the same ISP so you'd hope it would be smooth.

dfyb

Banned
played SP on 360 a few days ago. played co-op on PS3 today. personally i don't see what all the hype is about (note: it's not necessarily my cup of tea -- i didn't love RE4 (got bored never finished)). i mean... i just can't think of anything the game does great. visuals are nice when looking at components individually, but when the game is in motion everything is so robotic that it breaks any graphical immersion going on. AI was about as dumb as gears AI (gets stuck on things etc), but slower and very predictable. the combat isn't fun. it basically felt like an unfinished game that still needs to severely smooth out the gameplay.

Crisis

Banned
Linkzg said:

It's just the demo and probably the difference between builds that accounts for both differences.

Zzoram said:
I doubt it's the HDMI, but it's possible. Did you try adjusting contrast?

I messed around with the settings on my TV but couldn't get the same look. It was either too dark or too washed out/bright. I have my 360 on black level extended (tbh I don't know what it does, assume it's full range like on the PS3. Besides, my PS3 and 360 have the same tv settings between them, the only difference being the cables used to connect them.

Crisis said:
It's just the demo and probably the difference between builds that accounts for both differences.

I'm hoping that's the case, but it's still weird to me that the PS3 version would be aliased like crazy, have slowdown, etc. while just the contrast and blacks looked better. I'm thinking it's just the demo or something since no other game have I noticed this.

calder

Tom Penny said:
Yeah I wish they'd change it to, initially you were not logged out of the network while watching disc-based movies but when ppl were watching blu-rays if someone on your friends list logged on or sent you a message the movie would pause for a second even though you wouldn't see the message or anything (as you shouldn't). To fix it Sony just made the PS3 log off the network while playing DVD or blu-rays, which was probably the easiest best fix at the time but a couple of years later I'd have thought one of the firmware updates would have introduced a more elegant solution.

Teknoman

calder said:
Control type D really is the only way this game is even playable. After just *hating* it my first playthrough, I tried the co-op with my brother online. Worked fine, and talking shit while playing did make it pretty fun. Will still pick it up, but if not for co-op (and a few friends who want to play it online) I would definitely give it a pass.

Joining/creating online sessions on PS3 was a bit cumbersome at first as the screen just says "invite friend" but doesn't actually mention going to the XMB, but it always connected and never dropped. No lag or any network problems I could see, but my brother and I are in the same city and use the same ISP so you'd hope it would be smooth.

Did you have any problems with the contrast getting all weird after sending out an invite?

I wish the game controlled like Dead Space (innovative comment no? -- but all the more true).

I don't care about shooting and walking at the same time, nor do the menu/inventory set-up bothers me.

What gets to me is how I constantly have to switch between the run button and the right analog. Why in the hell don't they just include the run/walk function into the left analog stick like 100% of other games out there, letting you freely turn, move rotate via the right analog.

Despite this the game is still fun though.

Crisis

Banned
Linkzg said:
I'm hoping that's the case, but it's still weird to me that the PS3 version would be aliased like crazy, have slowdown, etc. while just the contrast and blacks looked better. I'm thinking it's just the demo or something since no other game have I noticed this.

I can't tell you when exactly the 360 demo build was finished but the demo that is on PSN is at the very minimum almost two months old because someone in this thread said that it's the same as the one going around in Japan on a disc.

Top Bottom