• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 - Xbox 360 vs PS3 Demos Comparison

JB1981

Nuclear Muffin said:
QAA will make the PS3 version look blurry in screenshots, you wont see it in motion really. The only real difference is that the PS3 version has Vsync and chugs a bit, while the 360 version tears like a bastard and runs smoothly.

You see it in motion. Really.

neorej said:
Here's my comparison:

360-version: plays like crap
PS3-version: plays like crap

I went looking for a "Make the game fun"-checkbox in the options, but no such luck.

In other words, you want a Wii-Version :lol

Well let's see what Santa Svensson has in his bag...

LM4sure

Banned
The 360 version looks quite a bit better. You can't really tell when playing the two versions, but in still shots, you can obviously see it. I'm still getting the PS3 version though. ;)

burgerdog said:
I probably went out of line by saying it doesn't look good, but hdmi does look better, let me know if you ever get the chance.

okay. well, i'd like to see. though it's the machine that makes the difference. And HDMI has the advantage of being better suited for digital to digital, so there might be a difference. .

though i'm afraid that if there is a significant difference i might buy me an elite :S...

Replicant

Huh, they look identical to me. There are times when there are more details on the PS3 version and there are times when more details on the 360 one.

I'm more concerned about the control and wish they'd let me use the right stick to aim my gun.

SonComet

Replicant said:
Huh, they look identical to me. There are times when there are more details on the PS3 version and there are times when more details on the 360 one.

I'm more concerned about the control and wish they'd let me use the right stick to aim my gun.
Actually there are always more details on the 360 version due to the fact it doesn't use QAA. The PS3 version still looks great, but if you play them back to back you should definitely see the difference in sharpness. The frame rate is also locked on the PS3, so though it doesn't have the very minor screen tear of the 360 it noticeably chugs a little too often while rotating the screen. The other minor differences outlined when the japanese demo came out appear to remain. Like slightly lower quality regular/self shadows and less robust dust and smoke on the PS3. Though that's very hard to spot unless the areas to look have been called to your attention.

Truant

Replicant said:

I use the right stick for aiming, using the default setup.

nightez

Banned
Rez>You said:
The 360 has some sort of patented tech that downloads and installs at the same time. Or so I've heard.
No you dont need to install at all, you can play the 360 version on a disc.

nightez

Banned
burgerdog said:
If you think 360 looks good with component(which I don't think it does, personally), wait until you see it with hdmi. I've used component with both consoles as well as HDMI and the latter is just much better.
VGA is superior to HDMI. HDMI is just an excuse for DRM.

Truant

Honestly, the only difference between HDMI and component for me can be compensated for by adjusting picture settings on my TV.

Crisco

Banned
The thing is that you get free AA with Xbox360, something you dont with PS3.

lol, are people still using the "free AA" line? Guys, there is no such thing as "free" anything in computing. This is on the level of "blast processing", don't be stupid.

nightez

Banned
burgerdog said:
:lol :lol :lol Awesome. That just tells me that you've never compared vga with dvi/hdmi.
I've compared don't buy into the HDMI marketing crap. CNET hooked up a PC to the 32" Samsung LCD.
C: With analog sources delivered via the VGA input the Samsung performed very well, resolving every detail of the 1,360x768 signal according to DisplayMate and delivering crisp, sharp text and other on-screen details. Surprisingly, HDMI tested far worse. The set didn't handle all of the detail of the source, and edges looked blockier and softer as a result.

The reason being you get the same 1920x1080 pixels with 32-bit color precision on VGA, with no inherent difference in quality and both at zero loss. If you get a 'worser' VGA picture on your TV-set, its because your set has poor analog to digital conversion. VGA is better for gaming because it has less input lag - The reason for that isn't down to the signal itself, but because manufacturers treat the VGA input as a Computer input and typically bypass silly video processing (colour "enhancers" etc) which mess things up. And yes, that's despite the analogue to digital conversion.

Crisco said:
lol, are people still using the "free AA" line? Guys, there is no such thing as "free" anything in computing. This is on the level of "blast processing", don't be stupid.

Well he can get all technical and say "the 360 has the benefit of AA that isn't Quincux or whatever and doesn't tax the hardware due to its 10 meg edram or whatever the fuck technical jargon" or he can say "360 has free AA". Just like you could say "X game runs better on Genesis because of it's faster 68000 motorola processor" or you can say "Blast Processing FTW!!"

Crisco

Banned
Arpharmd B said:
Well he can get all technical and say "the 360 has the benefit of AA that isn't Quincux or whatever and doesn't tax the hardware due to its 10 meg edram or whatever the fuck technical jargon" or he can say "360 has free AA". Just like you could say "X game runs better on Genesis because of it's faster 68000 motorola processor" or you can say "Blast Processing FTW!!"

Except that's wrong, it does tax the hardware. Why are there 360 games with no AA if it doesn't tax the hardware (Dead Space and PoP are recent examples). Using AA on the 360 means you aren't using that extra ram or gpu cycles for something else. It's a trade off, just like any other hardware. Just look at every PC GPU that has tried to tout free 2X or 4X AA. It holds true for a while, but once the next big game gets released, AA is one of the first things you need to disable to get to a playable framerate. It's no different with a console.

Crisco said:
Except that's wrong, it does tax the hardware. Why are there 360 games with no AA if it doesn't tax the hardware (Dead Space and PoP are recent examples).
As I understand it, it's because if you want the free AA you have to use a very specific rendering method... which not all devs want to. If you choose to use tile based rendering then the AA really is free. Absolutely no overhead.

[Edit - Don't take that as gospel, I'm just sure someone that knows the situation better will be along shortly.]

AndresON777

shooting blanks
burgerdog said:
If you think 360 looks good with component(which I don't think it does, personally), wait until you see it with hdmi. I've used component with both consoles as well as HDMI and the latter is just much better.

It looks so much better, I just got a new arcade and Fallout looks so nice now

Just the options you can do with the blacks in the settings makes a HUGE difference

mintylurb

I spent some quality time last night playing both versions at the same time. It's really no contest in my opinion. 360 version, except for some minor tearing issue, pretty much wins hands down. It has cleaner IQ, better AA, richer colour and runs more smoothly.

I do hope for ps3 only owners sake that the ps3 demo is from a really really old build because it's really not even close when you play them side by side.

Originally thought the 360 version was shown first and was vehemently surprised -- then I realized I read that thread wrong. This makes sense. 360 versions of multiplat games have always been a touch better looking than their PS3 counterparts. Killzone definitely gives RE5 a run for it's money though.

FrankT

Just as we expected, the german GamePro indeed is the first magazine on earth to completely review Resident Evil 5. Unlike the previous reviews from magazines like OPM US, GamePro was able to play through the whole game and therefore is world-exclusively reviewing Resident Evil 5. The playthrough happened at the secret event in Hamburg I mentioned in a previous news post.

Here are a few details (minor spoilers included):

- GamePro could only make their own screenshots of the first three chapters. The later ones, they had to use Capcom's images due to an embargo

- It is all about the Progenitor virus

- Resident Evil 5 changes locations more often than Resident Evil 4 and the pace moves on immensly, especially after the first 10 minutes.

- The game is about 18 hours long.

- There's no location that is as big as the castle area in Resident Evil 4.

- The game is divided in 6 big chapters, each of them again divided into 3-4 areas.

- After the refinery, the game goes more for darkness (pyramids)

- GamePro counted 1 (!!!) real puzzle in Resident Evil 5.

- The emphasis is clearly on Co-Op. When a character is investigating something alone it usually deals with finding a key or moving something. GamePro says that these are the most intriguing situations as you wish your partner would be with you and help you fight the hordes of enemies.

- A few classic enemies are indeed in Resident Evil 5 (like the Licker)

- GamePro found the fights with Wesker very cool. They are absolutely dramatic and stunning.

- The visuals and audio are top notch.

- The PS3 version suffers a few glitches here and there, but they are not heavy.

- Resident Evil is gone, long live Resident Evil.

- They describe the game as an extremely entertaining, quick Tour de France with less horror.

- The overall review score is 93% for both PS3 and Xbox360 versions. Added to the PS3 graphics score was a note that the PS3 version suffers minor issues. GamePro's usual, separate multiplayer score for the game is 10/10.

- After completion of the game graphic filters, unlimited ammo, alternate costumes and an "arcade mode" among other things become available.

PS: I love how GamePro made it very clear that this is not Survival Horror, instead labeled it "Terror-Action-Game" or just "Action-Game"

http://www.rehorror.net/v20/first-real-resident-evil-5-review

This is the full details of the German Gamepro review with the review build. They had scans up earlier on, but GP asked them to remove them and they did.

Thrakier

ChrisGoldstein said:
Just the options you can do with the blacks in the settings makes a HUGE difference

If you play with those options you screw with your black level. And then, your IQ is gone. Sure, you have a very strong contrast, but every grey is black. So enjoy it till you get annoyed. ;)

I'm still going to reserve judegement until more details surface...I mean the demo was decent in parts, sans horrible controls...but it really did give me a bit of a last gen feeling...especially having played games such as gears and uncharted...also, the game is in no way a horror, gears has monsters etc, doesn't make it a horror either...its just a TPS (tank person shooter)

Cday

Banned
YuriLowell said:
So no mercenaries mode?

- After completion of the game graphic filters, unlimited ammo, alternate costumes and an "arcade mode" among other things become available.

Sounds like they're trying not to give it away.

If it's just you go through campaign with a score, than that would really piss me off. Could be since this game feels rushed to me.

masterkajo

well, after my finale exam I could finally test out both demos and I am a bit confused. First I get occasionl slowdowns on PS3 (I'd rather not have them) and then I get tearing like the picture was put in one of those machines that get rid of documentes on the xbox360. I figured this was due to me using VGA on 360 (because I got only one HDMI port on my TV <-- old) with a resolution of 1280x768. When I put it to 1280x720 the tearing is almost gone but I am missing about 1 to 2 cm on the left side of the screen...ARGH!
In the end, I figured out that the way to go is using the HDMI on the 360 plus the adapter for optical sound at 1280x720.

But why does VGA at 1280x720 robe me of some cm?

-Winnie-

- The overall review score is 93% for both PS3 and Xbox360 versions. Added to the PS3 graphics score was a note that the PS3 version suffers minor issues. GamePro's usual, separate multiplayer score for the game is 10/10.

:<

That's really a pity. I thought DMC4 proved that Capcom's engine could make almost perfect ports to both 360 and PS3.

zoukka

FFChris said:
It's a real shame that they've scrapped the survival horror aspect in favor of a straight up action game.

It's not a horror game per se, but you will get scared I'm pretty sure. I know I was during RE4 and I play a shitload of horror games.

codecow

Crisco said:
Except that's wrong, it does tax the hardware. Why are there 360 games with no AA if it doesn't tax the hardware (Dead Space and PoP are recent examples). Using AA on the 360 means you aren't using that extra ram or gpu cycles for something else. It's a trade off, just like any other hardware. Just look at every PC GPU that has tried to tout free 2X or 4X AA. It holds true for a while, but once the next big game gets released, AA is one of the first things you need to disable to get to a playable framerate. It's no different with a console.

You can't ship on Xbox 360 without AA, it's a certification requirement. With that said, you're right that a lot of games do not use 2x or 4x FSAA but they are required to have at least some.

codecow

Psychotext said:
As I understand it, it's because if you want the free AA you have to use a very specific rendering method... which not all devs want to. If you choose to use tile based rendering then the AA really is free. Absolutely no overhead.

[Edit - Don't take that as gospel, I'm just sure someone that knows the situation better will be along shortly.]

You're wrong, there is a large cost in that you're rendering 2x or 4x the number of pixels in those passes even though you do not run the pixel shader 2x or 4x.

burgerdog

codecow said:
You can't ship on Xbox 360 without AA, it's a certification requirement. With that said, you're right that a lot of games do not use 2x or 4x FSAA but they are required to have at least some.

Lies, 360 has plenty of jaggy games and its best selling title, as much as I love it, is a jaggy mess; Halo 3.

codecow

burgerdog said:
Lies, 360 has plenty of jaggy games and its best selling title, as much as I love it, is a jaggy mess; Halo 3.

It's not a lie, although since it is a first party title they may have been able to get a waiver from cert. Note that the requirement is to have some AA, not MSAA.

Banned
A Capcom multiplatform game that looks/runs better on 360&#8253; I am shocked!

Dot50Cal said:
People with a keen eye might have noticed that the AA turns off at times in the PS3 demo. Some folks at B3D speculated that the engine probably does this so it doesn't drop frames. Anyway, I caught a shot of this and managed to come away with a near identical frame set with AA on and off. You can see how the QAA blurs SOMEWHAT, but its not really super bad. The real culprit (I assume, since these arent HD) is the capture method used for these shots. Its either S-Video, or Component. Both of which use the analog out on PS3, which is really terrible compared to the 360.

QAA on: http://pici.se/pictures/NpsjlnCkk.jpg
QAA off: http://pici.se/pictures/bXcjipchY.jpg

Interesting—both in the way that it seems to dynamically turn AA on/off, but also to see just how much of an effect QAA has on the image.

It does a decent job smoothing out edges, but really seems to affect high-frequency detail as well.

Frankly, I'm not sure if I prefer it on or off. Edges look good with it on, but the image does start looking blurred rather than anti-aliased.

burgerdog said:
:lol :lol :lol Awesome. That just tells me that you've never compared vga with dvi/hdmi.
It depends on the display. Quite a lot of HDTVs out there have "hidden" processing going on in the background even with HDMI inputs, and VGA generally bypasses this.

VGA should also guarantee you zero overscan, whereas that may not be the case with HDMI, especially if you are outputting 720p.

Jaruru

"- Resident Evil is gone, long live Resident Evil."
= ???

ad-hoc mode sounds like an arcade mode, with strategy battle and leader board scoring? this will be fun

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
A Capcom multiplatform game that looks/runs better on 360&#8253; I am shocked!
DMC4 ran faster on PS3 (by just a hair) and Lost Planet was ported by a 3rd party. It could have gone either way with RE5.

Also, while it is a completely different engine, Bionic Commando Rearmed performed smoother on PS3 (faster loading and less slowdown).

I played both demos the past few days and I cant really find major differences between the two. The 360 version does look sharper overall but in some spots that isnt really a good thing. The framerate and tearing issues that people have mentioned are so minor they arent really worth mentioning. Both demos are solid and I enjoyed both. The controls are a little annoying though. I havent decided if im gonna get the game or not. If I do then I will probably just flip a coin on which one to get.

rezuth

dark10x said:
DMC4 ran faster on PS3 (by just a hair) and Lost Planet was ported by a 3rd party. It could have gone either way with RE5.

Also, while it is a completely different engine, Bionic Commando Rearmed performed smoother on PS3 (faster loading and less slowdown).
Bionic Commando Rearmed is GRIN thou, only Capcom publishing.

Edit: DMC4 ran faster on PS3? I thought they were both capped at 60FPS and from the screens I saw it looked awful on PS3.

Top Bottom