• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 - Xbox 360 vs PS3 Demos Comparison

Pimpbaa

sprocket said:
you realize int he same post you quote he says the game dynamically changes resolution. :/ seriously now. Fanboys are getting out of hand.

PS3 games can do that. Wipeout HD does it.

sprocket

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
So basically, the guy determined this from compressed videos?

yeah its BS post. for some reason .. some people think anyone who farts out any kind of post at B3d is 100% factual.

I personally think the attention to detail is a little bit better on the 360 version and also sharper, however its not even far enough apart to warrant a comparison thread. Both versions look amazing, overall every gamer wins.

I'm still hung up on the awful-looking feet.

Instead of getting decapitated or disemboweled or whatever just show Chris dying from getting those nasty feet rubbed all over his face.

Of all things to take screenshots of...ughhhhh

burgerdog

If that post is bullshit then that's absolutely fine with me, the closer the ports the better for both sides. The game does seem to lack AA, though.

ruliweb_sf4kors_26.jpg

burgerdog said:
If that post is bullshit then that's absolutely fine with me, the closer the ports the better for both sides. The game does seem to lack AA, though.

ruliweb_sf4kors_26.jpg

So does the arcade. The arcade is supposedly based on a 7900, so the ps3 should have no problems, but the 360 will probably have added anti-aliasing.

As for Re5, It's been proven that this is an old build, and that the games performance is much better now.....so I would wait until they actually release to make comparisons.

FightyF

Banned
sprocket said:
you realize int he same post you quote he says the game dynamically changes resolution. :/ seriously now. Fanboys are getting out of hand.

There are a few games dynamically change resolution nowadays.

FrankT

burgerdog said:
Why is capcom dropping the ball on the ps3 all of a sudden? Granted, the difference isn't huge, but it's still there. You would imagine that both versions would be 99.99% identical given how DMC4 turned out. Things should have only gone up from there. Street Fighter 4 appears to be "interesting" on the ps3 side as well, check this out --

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1262452&postcount=123

wow

FightyF said:
There are a few games dynamically change resolution nowadays.

Had no idea that was even possible.

Heh, there have been a few doozies in here since last visited.

AkuMifune

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
8 pages discussing the difference in two things that look pretty much identical. This is why i love the NeoGaf.

And again, everyone is making comparisons based on their own individual setup. :lol The science!

As always the decision for me will be which version my friends pick up, and if either netcode seems to be more stable. I'm sick of playing crappy co-op with random douchebags.

the size of the 360 Demo is 473 MB While the PS3 demo is 942MB, almost twice the size of the 360 version. is it just me who finds this odd?

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm guessing the PS3 version is upscaled. Looks quite similar to MGS4 in how well it's hiding the scaling (if that is indeed the case).

The added blur does help make a few scenes look better, but it definitely kills quite a bit of detail.

If I were to get it, I'd be gettin the 360 version for the more consistent framerate though.

jett

D-Member
Andronicus said:
Also the size of the 360 Demo is 473 MB While the PS3 demo is 942MB, almost twice the size of the 360 version. is it just me who finds this odd?

PS3 code doesn't need to be size-optimized for a limiting disc format? who knows

Truant

Andronicus said:
the size of the 360 Demo is 473 MB While the PS3 demo is 942MB, almost twice the size of the 360 version. is it just me who finds this odd?

Which is even stranger, considering the 360 version is a playable file, but the PS3 demo needs installing.

I'll tell you, as long as most games are going to be multiplatform, the PS3 will almost always be at a disadvantage if the developers don't at leat try to take advantage of each system. It may not always be a significant deal, but it will continue to make the X360 look like the superior console in casuals eyes. Nothing has been confirmed yet with SF4, but it wouldn't surprise me. Also, I am not noticing the horrendous slowdown/framerate drops in the PS3 version that everyone claims is so detrimental to it. I barely see any hiccups in it. I have both versions and the frame rate is comparable.

Truant

I don't see the big issue. Get the best version if those minute differences are so important. Chances are that if you care this much about this stuff, you probably own both consoles anyway.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Truant said:
Which is even stranger, considering the 360 version is a playable file, but the PS3 demo needs installing.
The 360 has some sort of patented tech that downloads and installs at the same time. Or so I've heard.

MarkMacD

Sorry if this has already been posted, but this was already done, and done very well, at:
http://www.the-horror.com/index.php?id=features&s=bh5demo

edit: the conclusion (after reviewing tons of detailed evidence):
"In summary, at this time, it appears that the Xbox 360 version is a few builds ahead of the Playstation 3. We look forward to revisiting the results when the games are released at retail and finished. For now, treat the results as temporary. The gulf of difference, when viewed in motion, is not as large as I had expected. In fact, I was quite surprised when I went back and looked at the screenshots. Going from one to the other, I really couldn't find these subtle differences between the two versions until I compared screenshots directly."

giuliu

Banned
Rez>You said:
The 360 has some sort of patented tech that downloads and installs at the same time. Or so I've heard.

how about the downloaded demo is already at executable state while the ps3 demos needs to be repackaged for the ps3 file system to understand it.

Dot50Cal

Banned
MarkMacD said:
Sorry if this has already been posted, but this was already done, and done very well, at:
http://www.the-horror.com/index.php?id=features&s=bh5demo

edit: the conclusion (after reviewing tons of detailed evidence):
"In summary, at this time, it appears that the Xbox 360 version is a few builds ahead of the Playstation 3. We look forward to revisiting the results when the games are released at retail and finished. For now, treat the results as temporary. The gulf of difference, when viewed in motion, is not as large as I had expected. In fact, I was quite surprised when I went back and looked at the screenshots. Going from one to the other, I really couldn't find these subtle differences between the two versions until I compared screenshots directly."
I'll have an update to that in a few weeks with some HDMI captures :p

giuliu said:
how about the downloaded demo is already at executable state while the ps3 demos needs to be repackaged for the ps3 file system to understand it.
Its more likely the audio that the PS3 demo has. That, and maybe some left over code (which would be fantastic if I could take a look at the files, but as of yet, I dont know how to do that on PS3 :( )

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
giuliu said:
Okay. I wouldn't know either way.

hwateber

ps3 version looks softer judging from the screenshots. That's pretty minor though and the only clear difference I can see is that two different shampoos are obviously being used.

burgerdog said:
If you think 360 looks good with component(which I don't think it does, personally), wait until you see it with hdmi. I've used component with both consoles as well as HDMI and the latter is just much better.

they're just cables... not magic devices.. component has excellent color and luminance seperation. To say the 360 doesn't look good over Component is nonsense imo.

QAA will make the PS3 version look blurry in screenshots, you wont see it in motion really. The only real difference is that the PS3 version has Vsync and chugs a bit, while the 360 version tears like a bastard and runs smoothly.

Darkpen

Banned
ugh, this thread. Its freaking DMC4 screenshot comparison thread redux, and to no surprise, considering the engine.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nuclear Muffin said:
QAA will make the PS3 version look blurry in screenshots, you wont see it in motion really. The only real difference is that the PS3 version has Vsync and chugs a bit, while the 360 version tears like a bastard and runs smoothly.
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but there really isn't enough tearing to justify "tears like a bastard". If it's there, I don't notice it.

Barso

Banned
I have been playing RES5 on 360 and at 720p I have not seen one single screen tear.
I would be interested to try the PS3 version but I am not falling for that again. Every time I sit through a PS3 download and install I am always dissappointed in my findings that the PS3 version suffers even if it is tiny differences.
WHY,WHY,WHY do sony not release developer tools similar to MS so that developers can get decent performance early on in the consoles lifespan?
Sorry but 360 version for me.
I am saving my download time for killzone 2 tomorrow.

Truant

I played the demo four times and I noticed tearing exactly once when performing a punch when there was tons of enemies on screen.

camineet

Banned
Just got a 360 last night, downloaded the demo. I could not believe the cutscene on the public assembly level, thought it was prerendered in parts. then i remember how amazing the cutscenes in GCN RE4 looked and remembered they were realtime. Then realized Xbox360 is an order of magnitude more powerful. Very impressed.

bj00rn_

Banned
Truant said:
I played the demo four times and I noticed tearing exactly once when performing a punch when there was tons of enemies on screen.

You're WRONG! The tearing came out of the screen like a angry cat and slashed my face at least two times! And I played the demo only three times!

Dunlop

camineet said:
Just got a 360 last night, downloaded the demo. I could not believe the cutscene on the public assembly level, thought it was prerendered in parts. then i remember how amazing the cutscenes in GCN RE4 looked and remembered they were realtime. Then realized Xbox360 is an order of magnitude more powerful. Very impressed.

Welcome back to console gaming!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Rhazer Fusion said:
I'll tell you, as long as most games are going to be multiplatform, the PS3 will almost always be at a disadvantage if the developers don't at leat try to take advantage of each system. It may not always be a significant deal, but it will continue to make the X360 look like the superior console in casuals eyes. Nothing has been confirmed yet with SF4, but it wouldn't surprise me. Also, I am not noticing the horrendous slowdown/framerate drops in the PS3 version that everyone claims is so detrimental to it. I barely see any hiccups in it. I have both versions and the frame rate is comparable.

Doubtful, casuals wont go on forums and post in threads about this shit, they will more than likely never see these comparisons and if they see any comparisons there is a good chance it will be a video so they like most people won't see these differences. Screenshot comparisons for games are retarded.

Barso said:
I have been playing RES5 on 360 and at 720p I have not seen one single screen tear.
I would be interested to try the PS3 version but I am not falling for that again. Every time I sit through a PS3 download and install I am always dissappointed in my findings that the PS3 version suffers even if it is tiny differences.
WHY,WHY,WHY do sony not release developer tools similar to MS so that developers can get decent performance early on in the consoles lifespan?

Isn't that what PhyreEngine is for, or am i confusing it with something else? I'm pretty sure they have something.

Paracelsus

Barso said:

Dead Space runs with no installation and the IQ is exactly the same as the 360 version. The only problem is with the slowdowns, and still there are less than with the RE5 demo.

It's just japanese devs this round (5gb Yakuza 3 installation after Kenzan is unforgivable too) should plow.

rezuth

KeioSquad2 said:
So does the arcade. The arcade is supposedly based on a 7900, so the ps3 should have no problems, but the 360 will probably have added anti-aliasing.

As for Re5, It's been proven that this is an old build, and that the games performance is much better now.....so I would wait until they actually release to make comparisons.
The thing is that you get free AA with Xbox360, something you dont with PS3.

burgerdog

Always-honest said:
they're just cables... not magic devices.. component has excellent color and luminance seperation. To say the 360 doesn't look good over Component is nonsense imo.

I probably went out of line by saying it doesn't look good, but hdmi does look better, let me know if you ever get the chance.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Here's my comparison:

360-version: plays like crap
PS3-version: plays like crap

I went looking for a "Make the game fun"-checkbox in the options, but no such luck.

watership

neorej said:
Here's my comparison:

I went looking for a "Make the game fun"-checkbox in the options, but no such luck.

You stole my future-post. Damn you.

-viper-

Banned
The framerate of the PS3 demo isn't that bad. The game runs pretty smoothtly for me and it certainly isn't bad enough for the game to be unplayable.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
neorej said:
Here's my comparison:

oh. i get it.

Top Bottom