• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 - Xbox 360 vs PS3 Demos Comparison

tirant

DIrtyWeasel said:
The PS3 version will probably be better looking for me because my 360 doesn't have HDMI.

????

Maybe on your TV set... but HDMI is not necessarily betther than component/vga...

Very minor differences. Playing both versions one after another you won't notice a difference at all. Can't believe how some people get so worked up over this shit.

I did, however, notice that I greatly preferred the control with the DS3.

Guys? Sound quality differences? I bought new (higher end) speakers and sound is a lot more important to me than visuals (minus framerate)

Always-honest said:
image quality between Component and HDMI is not as big as you would think.
I think the biggest difference is color reproduction. If you check out the burnout paradise comparison on PS3/360 with vga component and hdmi, the colors all look drastically different.

RpgN

The Skater said:
JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.
(Today, 02:29 PM)

Hey! I was just about to quote his tag :lol

The xbox 360 version looks obviously sharper and that's about it. These threads have been seriously pointless lately.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RpgN said:

The xbox 360 version looks obviously sharper and that's about it. These threads have been seriously pointless lately.
Well, not necessarily. There are some differences, especially when you look at Dot50's comparison at the top of this page. For people with both consoles, and without a controller preference, it is useful. :)

LRB1983

Banned
http://i40.tinypic.com/1zdsxad.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/23uv4v8.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/ngho0.jpg
2j5e2j4.jpg

2vjadkz.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/259z574.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2e656vo.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2hoiknp.jpg
166wxvd.jpg

34hba5i.jpg

This is how it looks for me :p XD

jett

D-Member
Rez>You said:
So no one has posted Dot50Cal's excellent comparison yet?

http://www.the-horror.com/index.php?id=features&s=bh5demo

Minor differences, all negligible.

Ah-ha! Looking at this comparison, and then looking at the OP I've noticed the current PS3 demo suffers from the same exact issues, like disappearing/flickering shadows and whatnot. This is months old code.

Lion Heart said:
Guys? Sound quality differences? I bought new (higher end) speakers and sound is a lot more important to me than visuals (minus framerate)

I wouldn't be able to tell you, but most assuredly the PS3 version should have better sound quality(pretty much every multiplatform game does), unless Capcom are being dickheads.

Pimpbaa

Why is quincunx antialiasing the AA of choice for developers on the PS3? It blurs everything. Just stick with 2X AA.

DoomGyver

Lion Heart said:

I think the biggest difference is color reproduction. If you check out the burnout paradise comparison on PS3/360 with vga component and hdmi, the colors all look drastically different.
Since it's mutliplatform there will probably be no difference in sound, because they probably used the same sound assets for each version.

It's sad few third party devs take advantage of uncompressed audio.

I would like to be proven wrong, though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:
Ah-ha! Looking at this comparison, and then looking at the OP I've noticed the current PS3 demo suffers from the same exact issues, like disappearing/flickering shadows and whatnot. This is months old code.
There is a high chance this is the same build from way back in September that they built for TGS.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Choke on the Magic said:
I can't see the difference in either version. What does this mean? :eek:

it is all part of the great GAF purge, in reality they are the same screens, but every fanboy who claims otherwise gets permed

bahahaha if you think im serious.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
The details on the 360 version are definitely more defined, but that's entirely undermined by the unforgivable amount of tearing. Meanwhile, the PS3 version looks murky and blurred, and often chugs along at less than 20fps.

It's a lost cause either way.

Lion Heart said:

i think the difference between HDMI and Component is not that big. (Provided you have good equipment/ cables.. etc..)

Tiduz said:
it is all part of the great GAF purge, in reality they are the same screens, but every fanboy who claims otherwise gets permed

bahahaha if you think im serious.

Yeah this won't actually happen until the FFXIII comparison thread in 2012.

I seriously cannot see a difference from these screens though. Where are they?

DangerStepp

You see how the HD lighting plays upon Chris's right tricep real subtle-like in that one pic?

In the other picture, his hair isn't as brown as it should be and the wrinkle textures in his shirt seem to sway in an odd direction.

That's makes all of the difference in the world.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Cataferal said:
The details on the 360 version are definitely more defined, but that's entirely undermined by the unforgivable amount of tearing. Meanwhile, the PS3 version looks murky and blurred, and often chugs along at less than 20fps.

It's a lost cause either way.
Wrong on both counts.

The 360 has very, very rare tearing if you're playing at 720p, and the PS3 version still averages at 30FPS, even if there are some drops.

RpgN

Rez>You said:
Well, not necessarily. There are some differences, especially when you look at Dot50's comparison at the top of this page. For people with both consoles, and without a controller preference, it is useful. :)

Of course, if all members were civil and didn't use this thread as a fanboy hideout.

But I'm honestly not seeing any difference besides the sharpness, most Xbox 360 games are sharper. I haven't seen any video comparisons, so I don't know how the framerate and screentearing faire between the 2.

Teknoman

As long as they get those little minor framerate dips outta the way for the PS3 version im good. Nothing game breaking, and usually is the same framerate as the 360 version...but still.

DangerStepp said:
You see how the HD lighting plays upon Chris's right tricep real subtle-like in that one pic?

In the other picture, his hair isn't as brown as it should be and the wrinkle textures in his shirt seem to sway in an odd direction.

That's makes all of the difference in the world.

They're all in different areas with a snap shot from a camera. Are you being sarcastic?

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Rez>You said:
Wrong on both counts.

The 360 has very, very rare tearing if you're playing at 720p, and the PS3 version still averages at 30FPS, even if there are some drops.

That may be where I'm going wrong then. I'm playing at 1080P on 360, and the tearing was truly something to behold.

As for the PS3 version, I'm not sure which resolution it was set to by default (1080P?), but the screen kept chugging along intermittently. It wasn't pleasant - but it's possible knocking the resolution down to 720P will help the PS3's case as well.

Cataferal said:
That may be where I'm going wrong then. I'm playing at 1080P on 360, and the tearing was truly something to behold.

As for the PS3 version, I'm not sure which resolution it was set to by default (1080P?), but the screen kept chugging along intermittently. It wasn't pleasant - but it's possible knocking the resolution down to 720P will help the PS3's case as well.

Yeah, everyone should take note that setting your 360 to 720p practically gets rid of all the tearing. Certainly not noticeable unless you're actively looking for it anyway.

-_- Comparisons are for fanboys they look the same unless you have two tv side by side and was planing to play whem at the same time

but this is neogaf so :/

Lousy framerates or tearing...Nice.

Wake me when games stop sacrificing framerate and/or image quality for HD graphics(or at least until I can afford a new PC).

(Yeah I played the RE5 demo on an SDTV)

borghe said:
in this case I actually like the softer look on the game.. it gives it a more cinematic feel..

Totally agree. Developers keep trying for this "look as real as possible" and failing miserably. Sure skin has more detail or whatever but it just looks over-emphasized and horrible.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Baloonatic said:
Yeah, everyone should take note that setting your 360 to 720p practically gets rid of all the tearing. Certainly not noticeable unless you're actively looking for it anyway.

Note taken. It's just frustrating that it should come to this. It means we have to constantly change the resolution on a game-to-game basis. FIFA09 and GoW2 look great at 1080p, but for Lost Odyssey and Top Spin 3 (and now RE4), 720p is the only way to go.

They should create display setting profiles for each game.

Synless

RpgN said:

I just wanted to point out that it's only sharper because of the AA type used. If you play the second part of the demo with the chainsaw guy there are parts where it stops using Quinicux and the textures lose there blurry appearance. Anyone who doesn't believe me can check it out for themselves.

Damn, setting my 360 to 1080p eliminates the input lag on my TV without sacrificing the image quality. In 720p I'll have to use Game mode which really hurts the picture quality and I lose almost all my picture controls. I'll have to test this out when I get home.

LOL I find these capture comparison threads to be pretty pathetic. I mean.... I have my PS3 hooked up via HDMI on a 42 inch 1080p sharp aquos and it looks beautiful. Nowhere near the blurry mess posted. I care not to read this thread so someone could have pulled a switcheroo and the joke's on me but just in case, I posted my opinion anyway...

Synless

MoonsaultSlayer said:
LOL I find these capture comparison threads to be pretty pathetic. I mean.... I have my PS3 hooked up via HDMI on a 42 inch 1080p sharp aquos and it looks beautiful. Nowhere near the blurry mess posted. I care not to read this thread so someone could have pulled a switcheroo and the joke's on me but just in case, I posted my opinion anyway...
It's more about people who have two systems and want the best version. Can you name a reason why a person wouldn't want the best version despite minor differences, I think these threads are incredibly informative and far from pathetic.

Tokyo Rain said:
Totally agree. Developers keep trying for this "look as real as possible" and failing miserably. Sure skin has more detail or whatever but it just looks over-emphasized and horrible.

that's very true. in real life you're not staring at textures. lighting is far more important (killzone2/ dutch masters)

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Felix Lighter said:
Damn, setting my 360 to 1080p eliminates the input lag on my TV without sacrificing the image quality. In 720p I'll have to use Game mode which really hurts the picture quality and I lose almost all my picture controls. I'll have to test this out when I get home.

Same here. There's not much we can do, save for choosing the lesser of two weavels.

At least we know our setups are future-proof. We'll enjoy full HD console goodness in... 3+ years.

Top Bottom