• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 - Xbox 360 vs PS3 Demos Comparison

burgerdog

MoonsaultSlayer said:
LOL I find these capture comparison threads to be pretty pathetic. I mean.... I have my PS3 hooked up via HDMI on a 42 inch 1080p sharp aquos and it looks beautiful. Nowhere near the blurry mess posted. I care not to read this thread so someone could have pulled a switcheroo and the joke's on me but just in case, I posted my opinion anyway...

Resident Evil 5 doesn't support 1080p on ps3. Anyway, I clearly see the 360 version having SLIGHTLY better textures in these shots, but when playing the game I can't tell the difference at all. My only knock against the ps3 version is the annoying framerate after having experienced the smoother 360 version. I play my 360 at 720p and have only seen tearing once out of 10+ play-throughs so I'll be going with that. I'm getting the game on day one so just to be safe I'm going with 360 version, hopefully they iron out those framerate problems for you ps3 buyers.

burgerdog

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Most modern HDtv over 40inch are 1080p. If not the PS3, the tv would upscale it.

Right, I just thought that he said that he was getting a native 1080p signal from his ps3.

J-Rzez

Always-honest said:
i think the difference between HDMI and Component is not that big. (Provided you have good equipment/ cables.. etc..)

I think the differences are pretty significant actually. Especially when on the same console. The PS3 component output is a total mess, needing half an hour to get it calibrated properly, which even then doesn't look as good as HDMI. The HDMI output on it though is outstanding in color/saturation and contrast. I had to run both consoles separately to TV input instead of going with a shared output to tv through the receiver because I had to tone down the brightness and saturation significantly on the 360.

Then again, I'm one of those people that thinks the difference between a RCA HTiaB surround sound system and a true 7.1pcm rig is monumental.

Onto the game, so you have a selection of framerate issues or tearing, along with what some said crappy AI that would drive me crazy. I think this is going to be the first RE I pass on : /

J-Rzez said:
I think the differences are pretty significant actually. Especially when on the same console. The PS3 component output is a total mess, needing half an hour to get it calibrated properly, which even then doesn't look as good as HDMI. The HDMI output on it though is outstanding in color/saturation and contrast. I had to run both consoles separately to TV input instead of going with a shared output to tv through the receiver because I had to tone down the brightness and saturation significantly on the 360.

Then again, I'm one of those people that thinks the difference between a RCA HTiaB surround sound system and a true 7.1pcm rig is monumental.
well, maybe the PS3 isn't a good machine for component... it often depands on the machine.
There doesn't need to be a significant difference...
When i look at on my dvd player, hdmi or component looks the same.
The 360 looks incredible with component..

I only played my PS3 through HDMI (looks incredible), but most of these ""HDMI is better" quotes are referring to PS3 use i think.

burgerdog

Always-honest said:
well, maybe the PS3 isn't a good machine for component... it often depands on the machine.
There doesn't need to be a significant difference...
When i look at on my dvd player, hdmi or component looks the same.
The 360 looks incredible with component..

I only played my PS3 through HDMI (looks incredible), but most of these ""HDMI is better" quotes are referring to PS3 use i think.

If you think 360 looks good with component(which I don't think it does, personally), wait until you see it with hdmi. I've used component with both consoles as well as HDMI and the latter is just much better.

JB1981

Zenith said:
I can't believe people are arguing over this.

Exactly! Especially when one version (X360) is so obviously superior in every single measurable category (i.e. framerate, texture resolution, AA, detail etc).

burgerdog said:
If you think 360 looks good with component(which I don't think it does, personally), wait until you see it with hdmi. I've used component with both consoles as well as HDMI and the latter is just much better.

hard to believe, but i'm in no position to judge this right now. maybe with my next 360 ;P

Dot50Cal said:
PS3 has Vsync on, which leads to framerate issues.

Why can't console devs just let you choose!?? =/

SealSqueal said:
If the OP is the same Aquanox from PS3Forums then this thread is true to form really as an MS fanboy from way back.

Regardless of OP's history the facts are clear.

h3ro

JB1981 said:
Exactly! Especially when one version (X360) is so obviously superior in every single measurable category (i.e. framerate, texture resolution, AA, detail etc).

I agree, just went through both demos a few times a while ago and saw the same things. The tearing was present, but was usually isolated to the very top of the screen and only occurred during the opening portions of the second stage (the one without the Nazi African Zombie rally)...

What I don't understand is, if you own both consoles and base your multiplatform decisions solely on performance, the 360 one wins out. If you only own one of the two consoles, then the differences don't matter since you won't be able to play the other version anyway...

BeeDog

h3ro said:
I agree, just went through both demos a few times a while ago and saw the same things. The tearing was present, but was usually isolated to the very top of the screen and only occurred during the opening portions of the second stage (the one without the Nazi African Zombie rally)...

What I don't understand is, if you own both consoles and base your multiplatform decisions solely on performance, the 360 one wins out. If you only own one of the two consoles, then the differences don't matter since you won't be able to play the other version anyway...

Personally I find it hard to play through a game when I know another platform has a much superior/better performing version of a game. It was the same with GRAW2, I didn't even finish half of the campaign before I sold my PS3 copy. This is especially true now that we know that RE5 will arrive on the PC in the near future.

Core407

Banned
BeeDog said:
Personally I find it hard to play through a game when I know another platform has a much superior/better performing version of a game. It was the same with GRAW2, I didn't even finish half of the campaign before I sold my PS3 copy. This is especially true now that we know that RE5 will arrive on the PC in the near future.

The PS3 one has like slight slow down, It's nothing game breaking. I'd rather have screen tearing and 60 solid but it's not that big of a deal, the game kicks all sorts of ass. Also, for all you know the reason why the PS3 one has slow down is because there was no install option for the demo and the full game will have a REQUIRED install of 5GB and supposedly the loading is going to be zero to nilch.

Pimpbaa

Hasn't it been stated (a few times) that the demo code is old? Shouldn't we save the arguing for the final version?

jett

D-Member
Yeah, after playing the game in online-coop like 4 times I have to say the slowdown isn't that bad. That or I got used to it, but uh seriously, it doesn't really affect the game much.

Zophar

Core407 said:
Also, for all you know the reason why the PS3 one has slow down is because there was no install option for the demo and the full game will have a REQUIRED install of 5GB and supposedly the loading is going to be zero to nilch.
Where do you think that demo runs from?

Erebus

Core407 said:
The PS3 one has like slight slow down, It's nothing game breaking. I'd rather have screen tearing and 60 solid but it's not that big of a deal, the game kicks all sorts of ass. Also, for all you know the reason why the PS3 one has slow down is because there was no install option for the demo and the full game will have a REQUIRED install of 5GB and supposedly the loading is going to be zero to nilch.

And you know that how? I wish you were right though.

BeeDog

Pimpbaa said:
Hasn't it been stated (a few times) that the demo code is old? Shouldn't we save the arguing for the final version?

At this point it feels like wishful thinking, I'm beginning to doubt that the retail version will be much more polished. But hey, would be awesome if it indeed performs better.

FightyF

Banned
After buying Fallout 3 for the PS3 I've vowed to never buy a multiplatform game on the PS3 again. So it's not like this affects my decision.

I'm a graphics nuts, so to me there's a very noticable difference in those screens. The sharper one is clearly superior looking.

Note I didn't call it the 360 version, because that's irrelevant, really. I secretly hope that the OP actually named them backwards to call out the fanboys and fool them all. :lol

What I do think matters is the fact that they are largely comparable. This is of importance because when RE5 was first shown as a PS3 game, MANY people here claimed that it could not be done on the 360. Not only that, you had a Sony rep referring to the 360 as "Xbox 1.5".

Huggers

evil costanza said:
confirmed again, PS3 blows

however the tearing on the 360 sucks

Good luck, you'll need it

I have only played the PS3 version and I was happy with it. Little bit of slowdown but not anywhere near enough for it to be an issue for me. GREAT fun playing co-op too. Definitely will pick this up

burgerdog

Why is capcom dropping the ball on the ps3 all of a sudden? Granted, the difference isn't huge, but it's still there. You would imagine that both versions would be 99.99% identical given how DMC4 turned out. Things should have only gone up from there. Street Fighter 4 appears to be "interesting" on the ps3 side as well, check this out --

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1262452&postcount=123

SF4 seems to have some very interesting properties regarding its rendering res, the game's normally running at the 720p, but when there're close ups (like when you're using supers) its resolution dynamically changes to 630p (1120 x 630) I did quite a bit of analysis on the shots posted at ruliweb, all the close up shots whether it's from cut scene or from middle of battle, they're all 630p. The link to the shots is..

http://ruliweb.empas.com/data/ruline....htm?num=16730

However this is the case with the PS3 version only, the 360 version maintains its 720p resolution all time.

The 360 version incorporates 2 x AA as well (could be 4 x AA, the analysis is based on the movie files from ruliweb, so I'm not 100% certain) while the PS3 version has zero AA.

BTW, as far as I know the SF4 arcade hardware is based on the 7900, and it's got no AA as well

Core407 said:

The demo is installed.

I haven't noticed any tearing on the 360 version.

Screens look pretty much the same to me. I can see slight differences (360 version looks very slightly more 'in focus') but it's nothing that makes me put one significantly above the other enough to matter.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
dork said:
it's been what..2..3 years? and we are still doing this?

come on man you know the deal.

GAF doesn't want to grow up. It's a Toys R Us kid!

also these threads are always good for a modicum amount of laughs. :lol Some people just shouldn't play games if this is what they are fretting over.

FightyF

Banned
Relix said:
Tearing on the 360? Playing through VGA, 720p, no tearing at all.

Me neither, and I'm hooked up via VGA as well.

That's a good point about SF4...probably going to look better on the 360 as well.

Thrakier

burgerdog said:
Why is capcom dropping the ball on the ps3 all of a sudden? Granted, the difference isn't huge, but it's still there. You would imagine that both versions would be 99.99% identical given how DMC4 turned out. Things should have only gone up from there. Street Fighter 4 appears to be "interesting" on the ps3 side as well, check this out --

WTF, I can't believe this. I'm on the edge of canceling my PS3 preorders for SFIV and RE5. Maybe I'll buy RE5 for 360 but for sure I won't buy SF for the 360. Damn Capcom, is it really THAT hard?

consoul

Even if there isn't any screen tearing on the 360 version at 720p, I'm sure as hell not going to go into the display settings and notch them down everytime I want to play RE5.

V-sync should be locked across the board.

Dot50Cal said:
Both are 720p native.

Then this is the clearest example yet that Qunincunx AA needs to die in a fiery grave. It completely destroys the texture definition and image quality in one fell swoop.

Is the tearing present in the PS3 version as that really pissed me off i the 360 demo.

burgerdog

Thrakier said:
WTF, I can't believe this. I'm on the edge of canceling my PS3 preorders for SFIV and RE5. Maybe I'll buy RE5 for 360 but for sure I won't buy SF for the 360. Damn Capcom, is it really THAT hard?

Such a shame given the fact that we know the ps3 is capable of much more, go look at the new Uncharted 2 shots and that little FPS that's getting a demo this Thursday. :D

BeeDog

burgerdog said:

:lol Fuck you Capcom. So much for their shitty framework engine being a great multiplat fit.

Thrakier

burgerdog said:
Such a shame given the fact that we know the ps3 is capable of much more, go look at the new Uncharted 2 shots and that little FPS that's getting a demo this Thursday. :D

The real shame is that it really hinders my enjoyment of the game. I know that this is more or less my mistake, but it's that way. No, I don't enjoy if the 360-version would be worse either, I just want them to be on par. :(

brain_stew said:
Then this is the clearest example yet that Qunincunx AA needs to die in a fiery grave. It completely destroys the texture definition and image quality in one fell swoop.

Is the tearing present in the PS3 version as that really pissed me off i the 360 demo.

PS3 is v-sync locked.

Isn't it true that you can get crisp internal frame grabs from the 360 (with the right hardware), but with the PS3 you have to capture from the component out which isn't good to begin with? Maybe that is the big factor here.

demigod

SealSqueal said:
If the OP is the same Aquanox from PS3Forums then this thread is true to form really as an MS fanboy from way back.

It's the same person, huge fanboy trying to stir the pot as usual. I heard he was banned from PS3forums.

lol at him dodging Dot50Cal's questions if it was his photos. Of course it's not, he doesn't own a ps3!

How many of you actually play your PS3 with default calibrated settings? Resistance 1 looks VERY blurry with default settings so I crank my sharpness up.

Loudninja

Thrakier said:
The real shame is that it really hinders my enjoyment of the game. I know that this is more or less my mistake, but it's that way. No, I don't enjoy if the 360-version would be worse either, I just want them to be on par. :(

How does it? seems really silly to me.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
*scans thread....

So it has been determined that the OP is a bridge troll...why isnt this shit locked yet?

burgerdog said:

First of all, Mazinger who posted that Is a regular poster, not a dev or anyone technical, second, he based his assumption on very compressed video, did you bother reading other posts....

Wait till the game hits before you spread bullshit!!

duk

Banned
burgerdog said:

Why is it capcom's fault? DMC4 and SF4 puts different stresses on each machine.

sprocket

Banned
Thrakier said:

you realize int he same post you quote he says the game dynamically changes resolution. :/ seriously now. Fanboys are getting out of hand.

burgerdog said:

So basically, the guy determined this from compressed videos?

Top Bottom