• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 for PS4 & XB1 |OT| Was it always this awesome?

Mr_Zombie

Not to mention that Vanquish had a tutorial. There was a room where it had you do each move multiple times, and you had to go through all of the tests before it would let you play the main game. RE6 really needed something similar. Not everyone has tons of free time to experiment. Which is why I hope my guide will help, and why I wish Capcom had taken this opportunity to incorporate a proper tutorial.

I haven't played Vanquish so I trusted what dragonzdogma said.

IIRC the pdf manual was eventually posted in the original RE6 OT, but after few days/weeks after the game's release and after you made your guide. RE6 is really a victim of publishers being too cheap to put even basic printed manuals in game cases.

DOWN

Banned
To be fair, it's hard to know what order or skill level players will be at when they do each campaign. They don't want to slam multiple full tutorials on someone experienced and looking for variety.

Some would say that as a video game it's an abomination...

I've gotten some limited enjoyment out of it. The controls are fun to use, and the action can be pretty slick once you get used to it. Unfortunately, I don't find the combat or enemy designs particularly enjoyable. It just felt really redundant to me after a few campaigns full of fighting practically nothing but machine gun toting enemies... that was the low point of RE5, and here they've stretched it into an entire game. A lot of people praise the combat and talk about how the j'avo are so well varied with their mutations, but I don't care. They don't mutate enough to keep me interested in fighting them over 3 campaigns.

The level design is generally shitty, linear, and uninteresting, and the game tries to wedge Michael Bay-esque explosion filled QTE sequences wherever possible. Capcom really exceeded their grasp in trying to make a AAA Call of Duty type cinematic action shooter, and it's pretty sad to see segments from other big games shoehorned into this universe. Jake's snowmobile segment feels like it was pulled out of MW2, but without any of the things that made it fun there.

There are some moments of the game that are just abysmal, so bad that not even the defenders who claim that the game is a "misunderstood masterpiece" will defend them. I don't even think it's humanly possible to enjoy wandering around in a blinding snowstorm fetch questing for keys while icy slopes send you to the bottom of the mountain and reverse your progress. Nor do I see any reason that collecting an herb, converting it into a pill, placing the pill in a case, and then tapping a button to eat the pill is a good health system. Yes, there's a shortcut, but it doesn't explain why it was so awful to begin with. It's like they designed this shit to be as tedious as possible.

This was the general reaction most critics and fans had to the game when it released. Some people have really bonded with the action and have praised the game for being a great TPS, and that group has become more vocal over time. But I think they've gone a little too far in the other direction by claiming that the game is some sort of masterpiece. No matter what, it will always be a "me too" AAA cash grab with really awful, boring level design. The combat being great doesn't erase that. You can consider it a heavily flawed game that you might really enjoy.

Just my opinion, come at me with "you were playing it wrong".

Nothing to come at. It is inferior to 4 and 5.
People being vocal about it changes nothing.

Neiteio

I haven't played Vanquish so I trusted what dragonzdogma said.

IIRC the pdf manual was eventually posted in the original RE6 OT, but after few days/weeks after the game's release and after you made your guide. RE6 is really a victim of publishers being too cheap to put even basic printed manuals in game cases.
It still blows my mind that in their biggest release that year, Capcom was too cheap to include a print manual with each copy of the game.

A simple training room in lieu of the prologue would've been perfect. They could've required you to complete that before letting you start any of the campaigns. "Slide twice, roll twice, dodge twice, etc."

RE6 doesn't explain anything in game. Vanquish teaches you everything you need to know to beat the campaign. We're not talking advance tech, we're talking fundamentals. Night and day difference. Vanquish has a dedicated tutorial zone, RE6 doesn't.

Also, the physical game didn't come with that manual, just an advert for RE: Damnation. I don't recall seeing that online version at the time of release. I wonder if it was up at the time, because no one ever mentioned it.
It was available on release date.

kodecraft

Nice to see some change of hearts in here. Those of us that enjoyed it last gen and liked knew what was up.

I expect nothing less from an RE7.

Neiteio

It was available on release date.
If you say so. There was nothing in the game or case telling people to look for such a thing online, so many people were none the wiser.

Again, Capcom should've included at least a barebones tutorial training room. There's no defending this decision.

Kinsei

Banned
It still blows my mind that in their biggest release that year, Capcom was too cheap to include a print manual with each copy of the game.

A simple training room in lieu of the prologue would've been perfect. They could've required you to complete that before letting you start any of the campaigns. "Slide twice, roll twice, dodge twice, etc."

What they should have done is replace the prologue the game does have with one that gives you control of a couple of the survivors you team up with in Leon 1 that forces you to use these things a few times. They could have it set in a bar as a nice homage to Outbreak.

DOWN

Banned
If you say so. There was nothing in the game or case telling people to look for such a thing online, so many people were none the wiser.

Again, Capcom should've included at least a barebones tutorial training room. There's no defending this decision.

The game absolutely included a note in the case with the website for Capcom's manuals. Let's pull back on the bias.

Neiteio

What they should have done is replace the prologue the game does have with one that gives you control of a couple of the survivors you team up with in Leon 1 that forces you to use these things a few times. They could have it set in a bar as a nice homage to Outbreak.
I would've liked any scenario that requires you to aim, shoot, heal, change weapons, and use the action commands — dodging, diving, rolling, sliding — and maybe the quick shot and counter. Ideally they would've had something like that and they'd require you to complete it before letting you do the campaigns.

I recall reading that the director wanted to have an open area where you could run around and experiment with the controls in a safe environment. The way it was described, it reminded me of the hub area from Metal Gear Online 3. That would've been nice, too.

The previously PC-exclusive Mercenaries No Mercy Mode will drop frames when things get busy with too many zombies, explosions, and smoke effects. Variable frame rate is in effect in these situations to maintain proper game speeds.

Otherwise, the game runs suprisingly well in 60fps split screen mode.

As someone who owns and loves the PC versions of RE 5&6 specifically because of No Mercy mode I think it's awesome that console owners finally get to check out this mode. Based on videos I've seen there's even some improvements to the experience like being able to unlock costumes and characters in No Mercy mode without having to play vanilla mercs mode.

Because of the inclusion of No Mercy mode it's probably safe to assume that these new console versions are ports of the PC release, correct? If that's the case, could one assume that RE5 on PS4 and X1 will be ports of the PC version as well? I ask because I feel like RE6 represented a turning point in Capcom's PC ports in that prior to that port all of Capcom's PC releases were generally fine but flawed and I would put the PC version of RE5 in the fine but flawed category.
Wonky mouse and keyboard controls aside, to this day that version still suffers from strange graphical bugs and it now suffers from some scripting issues that seem to have been introduced when Capcom replaced GFWL with Steamworks. I guess what I'm curious about is will the new console versions of RE5 be based on the PC release (which has the super rad Mercs No Mercy mode) or will it be a port of the 360 version?

Neiteio

The game absolutely included a note in the case with the website for Capcom's manuals. Let's pull back on the bias.
Not in America. I'm looking inside the PS3 case right now. Advert for RE: Damnation, and the Limited Warranty note.

And what "bias?" I'm one of the original advocates of this game on this site. I can still point out it's silly Capcom was so lazy explaining their own game.

kc44135

RE6 doesn't have a tutorial, unless you're talking about the highly scripted prologue that teaches you how to walk, turn the camera, and shoot. Which is like 1/100th of what you need to know to enjoy the game at a basic level. They should've took the Vanquish approach and put you in a training room and make you perform each of the basics at least twice. Slide, roll, dodge, etc. The basics.

Yeah, the prologue is what I was talking about. It's the closest thing to a tutorial that RE6 has, but it's pretty poor. I definitely agree that Vanquish's approach was much better.

If they couldn't be bothered to include a full-fletched tutorial, they could've at least included a few more pop-up tutorial messages at appropriate times during the game. You do learn about the quick shot that way after all...they don't really tell you it's use, but at least you know that it exists and you can experiment with it. A message about being able to slide and roll should've been one of the first things to pop up.

It really doesn't help that they disabled your slide during the beginning part of Leon's campaign. I'm not talking about the "Slowly follow that dude" section, the first few combat encounters, before you step outside, have disabled some of Leon's movesets for whatever reason, so if you experimented with the controls during that part, of course nothing happens.

DOWN

Banned
Not in America. I'm looking inside the PS3 case right now. Advert for RE: Damnation, and the Limited Warranty note.

And what "bias?" I'm one of the original advocates of this game on this site. I can still point out it's silly Capcom was so lazy explaining their own game.

I'm in America and on the left side inside the case it says "For a printable manual..." etc. and the web address in red

Oh neat, looks like I can get a copy today. Gonna pick it up on my way home. I'll probably use that chronological order guide posted earlier.

Neiteio

OK, so this is what Capcom did instead of including an in-game tutorial, or instead of including a print manual — they buried a link to the website at the bottom of the warranty slip no one ever looks at:

20160328_171053djs8l1bsnn.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
one thing I am curious about, as someone who has never played this.

are there many multiplayer trophies for this game? as in, not your one or two special trophy but several, complicated things that are intented to be gotten by playing many times with your buddies.

My last shot at this I hate to sound pushy,
when I bought dragons dogma I got the code to the private re6 demo (before the public one)
but they all had this screen

APQZpzj.png

video: just in case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9-pUOX_PGc
clearly you can see there they teach you the slide and even the quick shot.

I just cant believe that true RE fans didn't download the free demo and didn't know how to slide and a quick shot by the time they actually got the game.or perhaps that was half of neogaf only?

DOWN

Banned
OK, so this is what Capcom did instead of including an in-game tutorial, or instead of including a print manual — they buried a link to the website at the bottom of the warranty slip no one ever looks at:

Buried? I thought it was easy to see. I don't care about manuals and even I remembered they said it was online. And I didn't remember exactly where it was, but I had no trouble spotting it when I looked for manual info once you brought it up.

It's spaced around fine so let's not act like they needed to print a ton of paper or google it for you. I don't know any AAAs that come with manuals anymore, and they all have online manuals.

Sure, they should improve the tutorials, but they didn't do anything unusually crazy with the manual.

It's not that hard to find to me. But maybe I'm wrong thinking its common sense to scan that info and notice the thing in red.

Regardless, it does indeed note where to find the manual. And any game you google the manual for has the official one in the top few results, including RE6.
ps3-resident-evil-6-como-nuevo-juego-caja-448-MPE3754383204_012013-F.jpg

Neiteio

DOWN, no one looks at the warranty slip and its mountains of legalese fine print

Like, ever

And I've never heard of someone posting critical gameplay information there

Why are you trying to defend this?

DOWN

Banned
DOWN, no one looks at the warranty slip and its mountains of legalese fine print

Like, ever

And I've never heard of someone posting critical gameplay information there

Why are you trying to defend this?

It isn't critical. We've had threads talk about manuals over and over. Most people have said they don't read them. You're making a big deal saying they ignored something important, out of something actually small that they did think of and that isn't hard to remedy on your own at all.

DedValve

Banned
To me it's like blaming Vanquish for the lack of a good tutorial,
You learn all that stuff as you go, Jake is honestly the only character where it took me a while , but I guess that was the fun part, discovering new moves as I played the loooong campaign. I didn't play the PC version btw.

All you need is a bit effort and love for the game and experimentation and RE6 will shine.
My main gripe is that "normal" difficulty is honestly super easy, hard is normal IMO.

See, I never really liked this excuse and I am a big supporter of trying to get rid of text box tutorials.

You enjoy RE6, thats great but RE6 also turned a lot of people off precisely because it did not teach its players all the moves of its mechanics and unless you where playing at high levels, the game design itself never really gave you a reason.

Rather than just dump text box after text box which players will inevitably forget (if they even read) the game could have done far more to teach them the mechanics as they went along and give them reasons to experiment with gameplay.

Mercs is a good excuse for experimentation on some level as it throws a crazy amount of mixed enemies and you have to try and get the best score possible. It enforces mobility and precision, 2 key things of RE6's mechanics.

In a game like Devil May Cry it had the genius idea of giving you a score in every combat scenario and marking it all up in the end. It incentivized players to try and do crazy combos.

RE6 campaign does not incentivize or teach. Thus a lot of players got frustrated and left or "played it wrong". Its why its so crazy divisive and this is coming from an already divisive series.

And I'm looking at posts while making this post...are people defending that capcom did their job by including a tiny link in bold red at the bottom of legalese? I....I...wha?

EDIT: I hastily made this post but...I think my engrish is getting worse.

I think I'll grab this to fill the space until Dark Souls 3, which is perfect since my experience with these games tells me that's about how long it will hold my interest. That span of time sure is fun though, it just seems RE games haven't held me for long since RE5. Always look forward to Mercenaries.

Neiteio

It isn't critical. We've had threads talk about manuals over and over. Most people have said they don't read them. You're making a big deal saying they ignored something important, out of something actually small that they did think of and that isn't hard to remedy on your own at all.
I really can't tell if you're being serious or trolling.

They literally — literally — buried it in fine print. It's on the legal disclaimer page. It's not even the same subject matter as the rest of the page.

I almost want to start a thread asking GAF at large if that's a good substitute for an in-game tutorial, a manual, or a separate card pointing one toward a manual.

Neiteio

I thought RE6 in Europe had proper manuals but in NA it didn't?
In NA we have the warranty fine print card no one looks at, and beneath all the legal mumbo jumbo is a tiny line of text, same size as the rest, that tells people to go online if they want to know how to play the game they couldn't be bothered to explain.

It's terrible. This game is great and deserves so much better from Capcom. Instead they did their best to hide key information.

DOWN

Banned
I really can't tell if you're being serious or trolling.

They literally — literally — buried it in fine print. It's on the legal disclaimer page. It's not even the same subject matter as the rest of the page.

I almost want to start a thread asking GAF at large if that's a good substitute for an in-game tutorial, a manual, or a separate card pointing one toward a manual.

Go ahead because nobody said that they did a good job on tutorials in the game itself, and if you want to actually talk about manuals, the online standard is no shocker. Its easy to access the manual, and they did indeed note it if you didn't bother to Google it. You seem desperate to salvage your mistaken statement.

DedValve

Banned
What the hell is going on in this thread?

People are attacking the Umbrella corporation for their inability to read the fine print.

Guys, the whole shit about zombies was in Section 8, paragraph 4, subsection b. It was in BOLD RED LETTERS
size 1 font tho

Not my fault Oaks got nuked. I read the fine print. I knew how to roll dodge.

Neiteio

Go ahead because nobody said that they did a good job on tutorials in the game itself, and if you want to actually talk about manuals, the online standard is no shocker. Its easy to access the manual, and they did indeed note it if you didn't bother to Google it. You seem desperate to salvage your mistaken statement.
I'm not trying to "salvage" anything. I posted a photograph of it and proved my point.

It's literally in the fine print. The last place key information should be.

What the hell is going on in this thread?

Me 2 cents.
Neiteio made this thread about how to play re6
but capcom had already released tutorials, instruction manuals and demos before he made the thread back in 2012, the game constantly throws tutorials snipets each loading screen.
I disagree that the game didn't teach players how to properly play resident evil 6, I feel the reason why people hate on the game, is simply that they wanted it to play like RE4 or 5 thus never understanding how fun the new system was.Something along those lines.

Neiteio did you see this image or is my browser trolling me?
APQZpzj.png

Neiteio

this is wild lmao
You're right. It was just incompetency on their part.

Can you imagine someone passing along a memo like this? Filling nearly an entire page with microscopic fine print about one subject, and then a tiny line in the same-size text containing an important kernel of information? And any reasonable person glancing at it would think it's the same legal disclaimer containing no important information re: the game, and so they wouldn't look at it to see that tiny line of same-size text in the first place?

Neiteio

Me 2 cents.
Neiteio made this thread about how to play re6
but capcom had already released tutorials, instruction manuals and demos before he made the thread back in 2002, the game constantly throws tutorials snipets each loading screen.
I disagree that the game didn't teach players how to properly play resident evil 6, I feel the reason why people hate on the game, is simply that they wanted it to play like RE4 or 5 thus never understanding how fun the new system was.Something along those lines.

Neiteio did you see this image or is my browser trolling me?
APQZpzj.png
The loading screens don't even appear long enough for you to read them. And this is obviously no substitute for actually teaching via tutorial.

Look, I obviously figured out how to play the game. I made the thread teaching people how to play the game. I figured out by catching the loading screens bit by bit.

The point is that's bad design and someone shouldn't have to learn the game that way.

I posted a couple of videos here:

They are not my high scores. Just the first attempts at these maps.

Mercenaries No Mercy Mode - Helena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Keo1QjxcuNM

Mercenaries No Mercy Mode - Sherry Alt costume

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GHUG3jcdXM

I have a feeling you will cross over soon to our side
(Those who liked RE6) You skills are getting much better keep up the good work :)
Thanks for the videos, I cant wait to get my copy tomorrow :)

Top Bottom