• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 for PS4 & XB1 |OT| Was it always this awesome?

Gaz_RB

giphy.gif

MERCS ON PS4. NO MERCY ON PS4!

I think this is just about all that needs to be said.

RE Mercs is one of the greatest things in gaming.

13randO

The only thing worth revisiting in this game for is seeing Chris' steak jiggle as he eats it.

And the part at the end where he is reunited with the steak.

Gamefly just shipped Orgins Collection. Hopefully they ship 6. I'll be having me a marathon in a week.

Edit. They shipped it. We in boys.

Lgndryhr

Wow didn't realize this was getting a retail release. Very nice. May wait on the inevitable collection with all of them or 4-6.

Hopefully we can get some co-op action going. Since it's not the first time for a lot of us I figured it'd be easy to find committed partners.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
To help explain this order:

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

Here's some of my reasoning on why it's in this order back when I had made in right when the game was releasing:

I happened to have ended up with RE6 early, and happy the 'chronological order' really caught on over the years. The list was made when Ada's campaign was unlockable instead of available from the start of the game (which came in a patch a few months after release that also made cutscene QTE's removable and added co-op to Ada's campaign, plus FOV options), but I think it works well, and I'll explain some of my reasoning.

Chris's Chapter 2 and Jake's first two chapters take place around the same time, though Jake's campaign goes a bit further in the story of this era (they take place around 6 months before all the other events in the game). Chris' chapter 1 occurs after this 6 month time jump (his 2nd chapter is a flashback), but I think works as the best first chapter in the game. Jake's first chapter kind of doesn't teach you shit, and I think is best experienced when you're a bit more adjusted to the mechanics of the game. Leon's Chapter 1 has the must tutorial stuff in it, but the three chapters after it all take place immediately after each other, and I actually think Leon's campaign is better enjoyed when you sort of know how to play the game. Chris' first chapter I find to be the best intro because it can be played best for one jumping in like RE4/RE5, which isn't how you should play the game as it's not as enjoyable and not designed in that way, but also opens the player to experiment and learn some things about the game. I think Chris' first two chapters do a good job at opening up the story (Jake's and Leon's stories start with no real explanation in their first chapters, they basically kind of just... Start. Chris' campaign has the best 'intro' to the scenario as Chris is strangely amnesiac and is re-learning/remembering the things around him, and is there when the outbreak begins and transitions into the outbreak, unlike Leon and Jake where the campaign starts when chaos is already well underway).

The rest of it, the middle section especially, I think works very well. The chapter go in a sensible order, I listed some chapters that occur around/at the same time based on difficulty and variety, or which end at slightly later times (Leon and Jake's Chapter 4 end up around the same time, but Leon's chapter goes a bit further than Jake's Chapter 4, and Chris' campaign chapter 4 ends after Leon's Chapter 4, but goes a bit past where Leon's chapter 4 ends, as a simple example) but most events will lead well into each other.well

The final chapters are listed based on final boss difficulty, and overall importance to the story. Jake's final boss is probably the easiest, and his conclusion isn't the best grand finale to the other campaigns either. Chris' contrasts well as it happens alongside Jake's ending, and I think his final boss is the medium difficulty one. Leon's final boss is the longest, and also the hardest, plus his story has the biggest 'climatic finish' to it.

Ada's campaign I still think is enjoyed best last, both because her campaign is quite a bit harder than the other campaigns, but also her story spoils some elements of the other campaigns that I think is best experienced afterwards than during the course of..

I personally think the game is enjoyed much more in this way, but it's everyone's decision of how they want to play. I think it makes the story seem a lot more coherent, plus adds more variety in the game, and surprisingly paces itself rather well. Some dislike the order since there's some segments where campaigns crossover, and since this is a chronological order that means you'll need to play the same scene twice, but these scenes are brief and often have differences between the two campaigns. I've found those I've played with usually have a much more positive opinion of RE6 playing in the chronological order rather than going from campaign to campaign, but see what others think.

Riposte

Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5

The final chapters are listed based on final boss difficulty, and overall importance to the story. Jake's final boss is probably the easiest, and his conclusion isn't the best grand finale to the other campaigns either. Chris' contrasts well as it happens alongside Jake's ending, and I think his final boss is the medium difficulty one. Leon's final boss is the longest, and also the hardest, plus his story has the biggest 'climatic finish' to it.

I would say a bigger reason is cliffhangers. Jake 5 leaves Team Chris in a dangerous spot
(heading deeper into the facility rather than trying to escape)
, likewise Chris to Leon
(dropped in the middle of an outbreak, also you still think Ada is dead when Chris tells him)
. Meanwhile there's no flow at all between Leon 5 and Jake 5.

It's a better RE than RE5 IMO.

I agree, RE6 is a bit rough around the edges, a few glitches here and there, the campaigns, Leon's especially, have some bullshit first-time player traps (Ambulance crashing into the gas station out of nowhere, zombies jumping out of the shadows, etc.) and with some of the heavily scripted set-pieces the game isn't always that clear at communicating what it wants from you, but the actual combat, which most of the game consists of is just so much fun and feels good. RE5 basically just tried to copy every moment from RE4 1:1, made it more tedious, slapped co-op on top of it and called it a day. Okay, I guess I have to give a little credit, the way co-op was implemented in RE5 was amazing, but single player suffered from the dumb partner AI, and even that is a complete non-issue in RE6.

Neff

Nor do I see any reason that collecting an herb, converting it into a pill, placing the pill in a case, and then tapping a button to eat the pill is a good health system. Yes, there's a shortcut, but it doesn't explain why it was so awful to begin with. It's like they designed this shit to be as tedious as possible.

It's a progression of RE's herb combination system which breaks down combinations into consumable units, meaning that you don't waste anything you collect. You don't have to wait until near death to take full advantage of a 100% herb, the strategy comes from simply deciding which combination to make- use what you have in a pinch, or hold out for a bigger dose later. It's a good system.

Just my opinion, come at me with "you were playing it wrong".

Nope, you just sucked, especially if you keep falling down that slide.

I don't agree. It's an awesome RE.

Yup.

It takes like 15 seconds to run up the slope and most enemies will follow you down where you can take them on undisturbed, should you fail. And if nothing else goes, you can just run straight past everything and take them on above. For all the hate that part gets, it's really not a big deal.

It's a progression of RE's herb combination system which breaks down combinations into consumable units, meaning that you don't waste anything you collect. You don't have to wait until near death to take full advantage of a 100% herb, the strategy comes from simply deciding which combination to make- use what you have in a pinch, or hold out for a bigger dose later. It's a good system.

Well said, man. I liked having full control over what percentage of health I could heal. Such a mechanic wouldn't have really suited the original RE trilogy because there really wasn't a health bar per se - you could only tell the status of your health by going into the inventory menu or observing your character's animation as he/she walked.

I watched my brother-in-law play his copy of RE 6 this past weekend, and can definitely say that I'm looking forward to playing it again on the PS4 in 1080p, 60 FPS.

NIN90

I probably wouldn't play Chris 2 and Jake 1 back to back since that'll force you to play the same section twice in a row. Maybe play Leon 1 in between since early Leon chapters feel fairly standalone from what I remember.

What the heck does this even mean? It has RESIDENT EVIL in the title, it's a Resident Evil game. Just because it doesn't conform to your idea of what Resident Evil is doesn't mean it's any less worthy of being an entry in the series.

Wasn't that what people were complaining about? I guess I can understand why it's disliked because some have been with the franchise since the beginning. It's changed so much since the original.That said it seemed kinda obvious this is were it was going after 5. Personally, I liked the game and that was probably because I was never that invested in RE.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
What the heck does this even mean? It has RESIDENT EVIL in the title, it's a Resident Evil game. Just because it doesn't conform to your idea of what Resident Evil is doesn't mean it's any less worthy of being an entry in the series.

It's an action heavy, co-op shooter with tonnes of QTE's and set-pieces. It is devoid of atmosphere, horror, item management, memorable encounters/bosses and so on. It is lacking almost everything that RE built it's fanbase on.

Won't be buying it since it doesn't really have anything new in it :/

Accurate depiction of Resident Evil 6.

Fair play to those of you who enjoyed it; I really dieliked it, despite giving it a fair chance (me and a friend finished Leon's campaign, and got a few levels into Chris'). For me, it's far inferior to 4 and 5.

"Just give me some options, a tactic to pick"

The real funny thing here is that RE6 offers more options in combat than the majority of TPS.

Kinsei

Banned
It's an action heavy, co-op shooter with tonnes of QTE's and set-pieces. It is devoid of atmosphere, horror, item management, memorable locations and so on. It is lacking almost everything that RE built it's fanbase on.

It has all of those things except item management though. Hell Rasklapanje is the scariest enemy in the series IMO.

Mr_Zombie

(...)

Here's some of my reasoning on why it's in this order back when I had made in right when the game was releasing:
Chris's Chapter 2 and Jake's first two chapters take place around the same time, though Jake's campaign goes a bit further in the story of this era (they take place around 6 months before all the other events in the game). Chris' chapter 1 occurs after this 6 month time jump (his 2nd chapter is a flashback), but I think works as the best first chapter in the game. Jake's first chapter kind of doesn't teach you shit, and I think is best experienced when you're a bit more adjusted to the mechanics of the game. Leon's Chapter 1 has the must tutorial stuff in it, but the three chapters after it all take place immediately after each other, and I actually think Leon's campaign is better enjoyed when you sort of know how to play the game. Chris' first chapter I find to be the best intro because it can be played best for one jumping in like RE4/RE5, which isn't how you should play the game as it's not as enjoyable and not designed in that way, but also opens the player to experiment and learn some things about the game. I think Chris' first two chapters do a good job at opening up the story (Jake's and Leon's stories start with no real explanation in their first chapters, they basically kind of just... Start. Chris' campaign has the best 'intro' to the scenario as Chris is strangely amnesiac and is re-learning/remembering the things around him, and is there when the outbreak begins and transitions into the outbreak, unlike Leon and Jake where the campaign starts when chaos is already well underway).

I fully agree with this. People say that it's good to start with Leon's chapter, but that's a lie. Leon's chapter starts with mandatory slow walk sections separated by cut-scenes (it lasts about 10 minutes or so total) and then, when finally shit hits the fan, throws big groups of zombies at you or puts you in areas with respawnable enemies. In the second half of the chapter you're in a "city in chaos" scenario where enemies can attack you from everywhere, flaming cars speed through the city, people are killed left and right and you have to act (aim, dodge, perform QTE) *quickly* in order to survive. That's not a good start to the game (the whole beginning is boring and is a pain in the ass to replay) and definitely not a good chapter to learn the mechanics (there's no time for that).

Chris' first chapter, on the other hand, starts slowly but with enemies. After a short run you are engaged in your first fight with few melee enemies which gives you enough possibility to try various moves.

It's an action heavy, co-op shooter with tonnes of QTE's and set-pieces. It is devoid of atmosphere, horror, item management, memorable locations and so on. It is lacking almost everything that RE built it's fanbase on.

RE4 brought in a lot of fans. How is it fair to disregard what they know RE to be just because you were here first?

Jack cw

I actually liked the game on 360 and bought the physical release.
The Leon and Chris campaign weren't so bad. Really looking forward to RE5 though, which is my favourite game of the series. It's simple and addictive.

Neff

Does anyone else feel that artistically and on an aesthetic level that RE5 looks better than 6??

RE5 has bags more texture and model detail than RE6 does, both as a result of RE6 being at least twice as big, being made in a shorter period of time, and running on a retuned version of MT Framework which features sexy deferred lighting but hogs the RAM.

RE6 wins out on the aforementioned lighting and dramatically improved face capture.

At their best, they're both incredible looking games, but overall RE5 is probably more consistent and impressive.

DOWN

Banned

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

I happened to have ended up with RE6 early, and happy the 'chronological order' really caught on over the years. The list was made when Ada's campaign was unlockable instead of available from the start of the game (which came in a patch a few months after release that also made cutscene QTE's removable and added co-op to Ada's campaign, plus FOV options), but I think it works well, and I'll explain some of my reasoning.

The rest of it, the middle section especially, I think works very well. The chapter go in a sensible order, I listed some chapters that occur around/at the same time based on difficulty and variety, or which end at slightly later times (Leon and Jake's Chapter 4 end up around the same time, but Leon's chapter goes a bit further than Jake's Chapter 4, and Chris' campaign chapter 4 ends after Leon's Chapter 4, but goes a bit past where Leon's chapter 4 ends, as a simple example) but most events will lead well into each other.well

Ada's campaign I still think is enjoyed best last, both because her campaign is quite a bit harder than the other campaigns, but also her story spoils some elements of the other campaigns that I think is best experienced afterwards than during the course of..

I personally think the game is enjoyed much more in this way, but it's everyone's decision of how they want to play. I think it makes the story seem a lot more coherent, plus adds more variety in the game, and surprisingly paces itself rather well. Some dislike the order since there's some segments where campaigns crossover, and since this is a chronological order that means you'll need to play the same scene twice, but these scenes are brief and often have differences between the two campaigns. I've found those I've played with usually have a much more positive opinion of RE6 playing in the chronological order rather than going from campaign to campaign, but see what others think.

This is a good order. Definitely get a taste of the other two characters before Leon and don't finish one campaign all the way, then the next, etc. Do it in a good movie-like order.

Aren't the differences in gameplay and controls pretty jarring from campaign to campaign? Would you really want to hop around like that on your first run?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
RE4 brought in a lot of fans. How is it fair to disregard what they know RE to be just because you were here first?

RE4 has ALL of the things that I mentioned.

So... just like RE4 and RE5 (well, minus the co-op part in RE4).

RE4 is an action game, but it's hardly a full-on TPS. It takes all of the elements I mentioned earlier and integrated them into a new style of gameplay for the series. It was the perfect mix of old and new, and the best game in the series.

Nope. It's much quicker and more... bombastic than previous games, but it's not devoid of atmosphere (Leon's whole chapter 1, and beginnings of chapter 2, 4 and 5 are amazing in showing the zombie apocalypse scenario) nor memorable bosses. It does get rid of item management more or less, I give you that.

You and I have a very different definitions of atmosphere and memorable bosses. Leons first chapter starts out promisingly enough, but by the second chapter the game is throwing so many enemies and QTE's at you that it doesn't have any time to build suspense. I felt like the controls were constantly being taken away from me, be it by enemies grabbing me, or opening doors or those ridiculous sections such as starting the car. The best RE6 managed was to make me slightly stressed at times, which usually led to extreme irritation.

Mr_Zombie

Does anyone else feel that artistically and on an aesthetic level that RE5 looks better than 6??

Yes. Although really low-res textures and bad background and NPC models can be also blamed for that.

It's an action heavy, co-op shooter with tonnes of QTE's and set-pieces.

So... just like RE4 and RE5 (well, minus the co-op part in RE4).

It is devoid of atmosphere, horror, item management, memorable encounters/bosses and so on.

Nope. It's much quicker and more... bombastic than previous games, but it's not devoid of atmosphere (Leon's whole chapter 1, and beginnings of chapter 2, 4 and 5 are amazing in showing the zombie apocalypse scenario) nor memorable bosses. It does get rid of item management more or less, I give you that.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
It's an action heavy, co-op shooter with tonnes of QTE's and set-pieces. It is devoid of atmosphere, horror, item management, memorable encounters/bosses and so on. It is lacking almost everything that RE built it's fanbase on.

RE4 and RE5 also featured QTEs and set-pieces, and I'd say RE3 and RE4 were also action heavy. How do you miss the item management in the game? And there's tones of memorable encounters. There's definitely atmosphere, it's just not the atmosphere you want.

netguy503

I noticed that they don't have it on the website. See it on amazon, gamestop, and target though.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/resident-evil-6-playstation-4/5096401.p?id=bb5096401&skuId=5096401

Same with XB1 version. I also have $20 in reward certs saved for this game (which will be more than the game costs w/GCU) like the above poster (he must of got $15 in reward certs back from the division like I did).

Does anyone know how many GB's this will be on PS4? Thanks.

tariniel

I just remembered that I have this on PC and never gave it a proper try. A friend and I bought it on a whim to play online co-op, and that part of the game sucked really hard at the time and we both just forgot about it.

I remember it kept disconnecting one of us, so we'd be stuck playing with the AI, and that there was no way to turn the voice chat off in the menus (we usually are on some voice service with push to talk) and it was really annoying.

But if I play it solo maybe I'll actually enjoy it.

KyleCross

Wait a minute. What about costumes?

Are they still campaign exclusive?
wow, seriously? Why the shift? It's never been this way.
RE6 never had alt costumes in the campaign. People modded them in on the PC, but last time I checked they weren't perfect.
Going to wait on DF before buying. Want to buy it on XB1 due to controller
No real point on waiting for DF. It's a straight port of the PC version, tho it doesn't seem to be running at the max PC settings. Word of mouth is there's no anti-aliasing and there's more motion-blur added.

Top Bottom