• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

def sim

Of course that's what you have to do. I've had many a fight just running around with a knife or mashing RT because there is no ammo. They tried to make a Gears clone with no ammo.

It's not even about "making them count." There just isn't enough ammo drops/crates.

And I have that item drop skill equipped.

You're supposed to use firearms to put your enemies in a stun or stagger state. Either through two shots to the head or leg or using the quick shot mechanic. From there, you run up and do a melee that will cause good damage and have a wide area of effect for crowd control. Save the majority of your bullets for BOW bullet sponges. Playing it like Gears will not work because of the lack of ammo, as you said, but it does fine with the RE4/5 way.

Replicant

Played a co-op with some random guy last night. It was fun even though he clearly had no idea what to do and I had to revive him from time to time particularly during Leon's frantic final hours in Chapter 1. And then our game got invaded by a player who plays a monster, I think he was the dog or the zombie in Graveyard, I can't be sure.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So can the fourth campaign be played split-screen? Is it a full length campaign?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Because it's not fun with the horrendously close camera in tight corridors. That said, Chris' campaign is actually pretty fun. It's not Resident Evil per se, but a decent 3rd person action romp.

Vidiot

So I preordered this with release date delivery and it still hasn't shipped. It's just said shipping soon all day. Am I going to be screwed over for release date like other M? :/

Spazznid

So I preordered this with release date delivery and it still hasn't shipped. It's just said shipping soon all day. Am I going to be screwed over for release date like other M? :/

AMAZON? I have a friend who had the same issue and he got his package on time. Might be a glitch. Mine is saying not shipped as well and also ETA October 2, so Who knows. I REALLY want anthology, so I'm stuck with whatever happens.

Vidiot

AMAZON? I have a friend who had the same issue and he got his package on time. Might be a glitch. Mine is saying not shipped as well and also ETA October 2, so Who knows. I REALLY want anthology, so I'm stuck with whatever happens.

Yeah, Amazon. I know it's getting a lot of shit but I'm still looking forward to playing it.

cvxfreak

I didn't have the option of release date delivery since I opted for international shipping. But I find it strange that Amazon says they haven't shipped my order yet.

Bladenic

My Amazon order didn't ship today, praying it ships tomorrow and gets here Thursday, Friday at the latest. Good thing I have Uncharted 3 to tide me over now.

Curufinwe

I didn't have the option of release date delivery since I opted for international shipping. But I find it strange that Amazon says they haven't shipped my order yet.

I got FSSS in the US and it says my delivery date is the 10th. But I still have to finish Mark of the Ninja so I can wait. Maybe they'll patch some of the QTEs to make them less annoying by then.

News Bot

Banned
Here are my summarized thoughts now that I've completed all four campaigns and had a bit of time to reflect.

I think the campaign I consistently enjoyed the most was Chris. Leon's was also great, but fell short on a lot of sections. I found Chapter 3 to be a so-so drag in comparison to the rest of his campaign, and I really did not like his final boss battle(s). Chris felt fun throughout and I enjoyed the way his scenarios were constructed, probably as I am a fan of the bioterrorism concept and do not feel his action-slant is out of place because I like that narrative.

Jake's felt pointless and would have probably helped the game if it was left out entirely or Jake/Sherry were relegated to cut-scenes. You could remove his entire campaign without losing anything in regards to either gameplay or narrative, and outside of a few particular segments, his campaign was completely forgettable. I never properly used his melee and when I did, I felt it was too weird to control. If this was the campaign to reel in new players, I think they dropped the ball into an abyss.

The story was so-so. Suga should really stop writing for the series, and it's unfortunate that Murata was pulled to write for Dragon's Dogma. However, the character dialogue is some of the best in the series and the background details in the files are very nice, especially those relating to past games. However, I felt certain characters were underused. I really liked Simmons, but disliked
Carla
. The clone angle was completely unnecessary and fell flat in execution.

Ada's campaign was neato. No real complaints about it. Ada herself could have used a bit more background.

Overall, I'd give it a 7. There are things I really like and things I really hate. I was right in assuming it was going to be a very polarizing game. It's difficult to quantify the game as a whole as it is so wildly inconsistent in parts and has an immense amount of actual content, which don't go well together. The sections I did enjoy were fantastic, while the ones I didn't were a drag. I try to take both into account and not let one or the other dictate my entire experience. I was right in assuming it was going to be a very polarizing game. Also, QTEs suck balls. I have had more fun with BH6 Mercenaries than any other Mercenaries beforehand.

Here are my summarized thoughts now that I've completed all four campaigns and had a bit of time to reflect.

I think the campaign I consistently enjoyed the most was Chris. Leon's was also great, but fell short on a lot of sections. I found Chapter 3 to be a so-so drag in comparison to the rest of his campaign, and I really did not like his final boss battle(s). Chris felt fun throughout and I enjoyed the way his scenarios were constructed, probably as I am a fan of the bioterrorism concept and do not feel his action-slant is out of place because I like that narrative.

Jake's felt pointless and would have probably helped the game if it was left out entirely or Jake/Sherry were relegated to cut-scenes. You could remove his entire campaign without losing anything in regards to either gameplay or narrative, and outside of a few particular segments, his campaign was completely forgettable. I never properly used his melee and when I did, I felt it was too weird to control. If this was the campaign to reel in new players, I think they dropped the ball into an abyss.

The story was so-so. Suga should really stop writing for the series, and it's unfortunate that Murata was pulled to write for Dragon's Dogma. However, the character dialogue is some of the best in the series and the background details in the files are very nice, especially those relating to past games. However, I felt certain characters were underused. I really liked Simmons, but disliked Carla. The clone angle was completely unecessary and fell flat in execution.

Ada's campaign was neato. No real complaints about it. Ada herself could have used a bit more background.

Overall, I'd give it a 7. There are things I really like and things I really hate. I was right in assuming it was going to be a very polarizing game. Also, QTEs suck balls.

This sounds in line with my thinking.

7 to 8 is a fair region for this game to be assessed at, scores like 3 and 4.5 are just tantrums as far as I'm concerned.

What did you think of the somewhat inconsistent visuals? I would love to know which team was responsible for what, because some of the environments are stunning, others less than acceptable... the forced perspective on some of the staircases in China were hilariously bad.

Leon's campaign is stunning, I'd wager Capcom had more to do with that one themselves.

News Bot

Banned
I didn't find any issue with the visuals, but I'm never really concerned with them in anything. I would add that the enemy designs were fantastic.

Daigoro

So if anyone tries to talk negatively about the game, just use this as evidence of it being the best game ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fQeoaecSfU

Hehe.

I do think posting one of your Mercs videos is a fair response to some of the overblown complaints about the controls.

i totally would not have clicked that link if Curufinwe's post didnt make it seem like it was a Merc run.

doint click it unless you want something minor but fun spoiled for you.

I didn't find any issue with the visuals, but I'm never really concerned with them in anything. I would add that the enemy designs were fantastic.

I don't know, I was surprised at the inconsistencies. I'm a visual design student so things like this stick out like sore thumbs at me :p

Enemy designs are indeed fantastic, much better than RE5 imo.

JoeFenix

The story was so-so. Suga should really stop writing for the series, and it's unfortunate that Murata was pulled to write for Dragon's Dogma. However, the character dialogue is some of the best in the series and the background details in the files are very nice, especially those relating to past games. However, I felt certain characters were underused. I really liked Simmons, but disliked Carla. The clone angle was completely unecessary and fell flat in execution.

Overall, I'd give it a 7. There are things I really like and things I really hate. I was right in assuming it was going to be a very polarizing game. Also, QTEs suck balls.

Not that I personally care too much but you might want to spoiler tag that Carla part.

I'm still going to give this hot mess a shot, I really like the combat mechanics and the potential for interesting boss encounters is enough to get me to bite.

I know I'm going to hate some sections but we'll see if the highs make it worth it in the end!

I don't know, I was surprised at the inconsistencies. I'm a visual design student so things like this stick out like sore thumbs at me :p

Enemy designs are indeed fantastic, much better than RE5 imo.

Some of the environments were truly offensive... terrible geometry, muddy textures, etc. The vehicle sequences in particular were laughably last gen.

Bladenic

If something is truly unplayable it should receive a 0 or a 1. Or no score at all.

3 means bad on most people's scales. Some reviewers thought the game was bad. So they gave it a 3.

I would consider 3 to be a lot worse than "bad." It's more like atrocious, heinous, beyond terrible, etc.

A 3 should be given to truly unplayable stuff like Skyrim PS3. RE6 definitely looks like a 7/7.5
How was Skyrim unplayable on PS3? Is there a thread on it?

Anyway, after loving the shit out of RE4 and RE5, I'm sad to say I'm going to be passing on RE6. It just doesn't seem to be what I'm after. I'll rent it someday, but it definitely doesn't look like something worthy of my $60. Hope all of you guys enjoy it though! I'm sure parts of it are great, even if the overall package is inconsistent.

AlexBasch

Game drops to 0 FPS randomly depending on save file size, I don't have the PS3 version myself but have two friends who are in opposite sides, one is able to play it just fine and the other has the 0 FPS issue a few minutes after starting a new game. Quite odd.

If something is truly unplayable it should receive a 0 or a 1. Or no score at all.
Extra points for "when it works". :p

haikira

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-face-off-skyrim

Things are a little better after patching. But it's no where near an even playing field. They're also still having trouble bring the new expansion pack to the PS3 and are now receiving help from Sony, in order to do so.

I watched a friend playing Skyrim on his PS3, with a save file that had plenty of hours on it. The stutter he got in some towns, was completely unacceptable.

re6-review-screen-1.jpg

Is that a Zombie blow job going on there

Rated M for Mature

3 means bad on most people's scales. Some reviewers thought the game was bad. So they gave it a 3.

Seriously. If someone thinks a game is "bad," a 3 is the right score for it. 4 is below average, 5 is mediocre, 6 is okay, 7 is good, 8 is great, 9 is amazing, and 10's should be reserved for games the reviewer enjoyed beyond words. Resident Evil 6 getting a 3 or 4 doesn't mean it's broken, it means the reviewer thought it was a bad experience.

Maybe if reviewers actually USED THE SCALE instead of 7-10 scores for everything, there wouldn't be any confusion.

Game drops to 0 FPS randomly depending on save file size, I don't have the PS3 version myself but have two friends who are in opposite sides, one is able to play it just fine and the other has the 0 FPS issue a few minutes after starting a new game. Quite odd.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-face-off-skyrim

Things are a little better after patching. But it's no where near an even playing field. They're also still having trouble bring the new expansion pack to the PS3 and are now receiving help from Sony, in order to do so.

I watch a friend playing Skyrim on his PS3, with a save file that had plenty of hours on it. The stutter he got in some towns, was completely unacceptable.
Crazy, I had no idea. How the hell a AAA title like that with a developer as talented as Bethesda behind the helm can have problems like that is astounding to me. I guess I lucked out on getting the 360 version

haikira

Completed Leon Chapter 1 and played some Mercs. Digging the game so far. The campaign starts off with a good sense of urgency and It's great to have some urban environments back in resident evil. You really get the impression of a city, having completely turned to shit. It's great =D

I'm glad i ran through the demo a few times before hand, as I'm having so much more fun now being competent at dodging and counters.

My only complaints so far would be the excessive amount of quick time events and the camera being too close.

On a side note. I like how with the HUD off, you can still flick it up temporarily by hitting LB/L1. This is the way i'll be playing the game, as it looks great with the crosshair and HUD off.

I enjoy the usage of the entire 10 point scale. If a game is shit, give shit score.

Although personally, I can't wait for the day we can stop trying to rank entertainment with numbers and shit and lets the words do the reviewing. How many people today actually read the reviews instead of talking about the numbers attached at the bottom?

Beth Cyra

It looks much worse. It's so unpolished it's actually kinda funny.

Wait there are more Jeep sections? Of all the things to bring from RE5 you choose that? Shit.

I swear nothing I hate more then QTE's and this game seems to be loaded them and on top of that they are worse then normal.

ironcreed

Banned
Not going to do the midnight thing, don't feel like going out. I'll just pick it up in the morning and dig in tomorrow evening. Have fun those of you picking it up tonight.

Top Bottom