• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

The skills system is poorly implemented. The first time it comes into play you are already about 2 hours in. Then you only see the skills page after each chapter, these are huge so its not like RE4 or RE5 where you are constantly upgrading. Plus like many said its best to just focus on three of them.

That awesome constant sense of growing as a character is gone in this game. Managing your guns was a pretty big part of both RE4/5 and this skills system is an extremely poor substitute. I think it will work great in Mercs, but it probably should have stayed there.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This thread is, like, the grand example for why you shouldn't have a game avatar and then expect your impressions to have much weight regarding said game.

Lucent

Just in case nobody noticed, the skill points you earn in Mercenaries mode can be used to purchase skills for the campaign as well. And you can rack them up pretty fast if you get good ranks.

ironcreed

Banned
Just played the first 2 chapters of Leon's campaign, which took me just over 4 hours. I guess I am just going to have to be one of the outcasts on this one because I absolutely love it. It feels like a mix of RE4/RE5 to me, but with better controls. Slam me all you want, but that is my take. The only things I find offensive are the vehicle quick time events and the stick wiggling QTE, but the rest feel like they are there to keep you on your toes and I don't mind them.

Don't care what anyone says, there is plenty of tension, running out of ammo and being mobbed by zombies and other mutations that will fuck you up fast if you are not careful. Plenty of times when you think you are in the clear, more come from behind you and have you running and methodically taking them out just like I had to in previous games. It is here that it still very much feels like RE. Not to mention in the long boss battles with the expected well designed monstrosities that can end you in a hurry.

Let me see, it has a great presentation, the camera feels much better than it did in the demo, the voice acting is spot on and for RE standards (cheesy as that may be) the story actually has me interested. There are also many nice touches effect-wise, such as when zombies get electrocuted they catch on fire and you can see their flesh burning off as they shuffle towards you. All sorts of great little touches like this.

Anyway, unless something drastic changes I'll love this in it's own way, yet as much as I do RE4 and RE5 for their own reasons. But so far I am actually enjoying this more than RE5. I just feel it's a better game in every way. It may sound like hyperbole, but I don't give a shit. So far, it is one of the more underrated games I can recall playing. Is it perfect? No, but it damn sure does not deserve some of the scores it received, in my opinion. I respect those who feel it does, but I just can't see it yet.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The skills system is poorly implemented. The first time it comes into play you are already about 2 hours in. Then you only see the skills page after each chapter, these are huge so its not like RE4 or RE5 where you are constantly upgrading. Plus like many said its best to just focus on three of them.

That awesome constant sense of growing as a character is gone in this game. Managing your guns was a pretty big part of both RE4/5 and this skills system is an extremely poor substitute. I think it will work great in Mercs, but it probably should have stayed there.

Completely agreed. What are the three skills that people are investing in? I'm guessing Melee Attack, Combat Action Bar, and Health?

Ken

Do I just play through the campaign to get more characters for Mercenaries? I also want to live in a World where Mercenaries isn't just "Extra Stuff" any more. ;_;

Dartastic

Completely agreed. What are the three skills that people are investing in? I'm guessing Melee Attack, Combat Action Bar, and Health?
I don't remember what I picked, but I started Chris's game first, and I barely had any points at the end of the first chapter, so I bought two 3000 point skills. One was the increased damage to J'avo. THAT was a good idea, at least from what I've played in Chapter 2. I also picked up decreased damage from attacks, because I found myself getting pounded pretty badly.

Lucent

Do I just play through the campaign to get more characters for Mercenaries? I also want to live in a World where Mercenaries isn't just "Extra Stuff" any more. ;_;

Seems like you unlock Sherry after you unlock a map from completing her and Jake's campaign and getting like an A or a B on that map. Same thing to unlock Piers, only doing his and Chris' campaign to unlock a map.

Helena you just gotta get a B rank on the starting map.

Nah, the Giant Bomb guys are just clueless at playing games, all of them really. Watch their RE4 quicklook for example, they play the game by shooting every enemy in the chest and they didn't even know what the herbs did. And one of the guys claimed to have played every version of the game that came out. Embarrassing.

they might just have been better off sticking to reviewing sodas.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So I started playing the game today (FINALLY!), and I'm doing the chronological order that Dusk Golem posted. Seems good so far, although I only played the Prologue and Chris' first two chapters.

Overall the camera was giving me a headache until I decided to turn the lights in my room back on. That FOV is brutal, and I'm really not sure why no one caught it in the 2.5 years that this game was in development. Anyway as far as gameplay impressions:

+ The graphics are great. People talk about crappy textures here and there but honestly the entire image looks phenomenal with everything in motion.
+ No screen tearing (I'm playing on 360), and the framerate was rock solid with the exception of one section where I was walking around.
+ I'm getting used to Chris' new haircut.
+ The act of shooting is fun and gun sounds are satisfying.
+ The cutscenes look phenomenal.
- Chris' haircut is still inferior to his RE5 haircut.
- The lack of ammo is annoying. Chris' campaign plays like a shooter, and the lack of ammo is supposed to induce tension, but all it does is make me run towards enemies to melee them, which ends up with me taking unnecessary damage.
- The contextual melee doesn't lock on; most of the time I'll hit RT and instead of a contextual attack Chris will just swing into the air. This part of Brad's Giant Bomb rant was pretty accurate.
- Chris falls down EVERY TIME HE LOSES A BLOCK OF HEALTH. It gets very annoying, very fast.
- This makes J'avo really annoying to fight, because you have to approach them to fight them due to the lack of ammo, which means you take damage on the way over, which means you will most likely take a tumble on your way towards them.
- Shadows look terrible. They're jaggy as all hell and project onto the weirdest surfaces.

Overall I can see why people might be disenchanted with this game, as it feels like it doesn't know what it wants to be. Part of it wants to be an action game, but the other part wants to be a horror game. So they toss you into full-out action scenes, but limit your ammo. They figure the latter will cause suspense and terror, but all it does is annoy you and make you run around trying to fit in a melee attack here and there.

Still, the game is fun and the story so far has been pretty interesting. Chris is as baller as ever, and I can't wait to see what happens in the story. I still think RE5 is the superior game, but that's to be expected as RE5 is a masterpiece of a game.

xtianmarq

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5

I've been playing in this order (except I accidentally played through Jake 4 before Chris 3, no biggie I guess). I have to say I'm enjoying the HELL out of the game DESPITE the fact that it does have some flaws and significant technical issues.

I feel that some of the low review scores are entirely unfounded but I do have to say that this game simply does not have the level of quality the previous games had. It's not a broken game...but it could be so much better if maybe they had delayed the release a little.

Esura

Banned
Seems like you unlock Sherry after you unlock a map from completing her and Jake's campaign and getting like an A or a B on that map. Same thing to unlock Piers, only doing his and Chris' campaign to unlock a map.

Helena you just gotta get a B rank on the starting map.

I hate unlocking characters in Mercenaries as I can never get my ranks above a C usually unless I co-op or something. I would pay to unlock everything in one go.

ironcreed

Banned
This thread is, like, the grand example for why you shouldn't have a game avatar and then expect your impressions to have much weight regarding said game.

So just because someone likes RE they can't be taken seriously? That is pretty much what you are saying. I love the series, but I am not a hardcore fan of it. I simply switched my avatar in anticipation of the game, as many do when an OT is put up. Some will actually love the game, while others will hate it. No big deal.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair re: the visuals, the game is wildly uneven. You haven't seen some of the worst areas yet. You haven't seen the best yet, either. That said, the size of some of the environments are incredible. One of the best things about the game, for sure.

Nemesis_

So just because someone likes RE they can't be taken seriously? That is pretty much what you are saying. I love the series, but I am not a hardcore fan of it. I simply switched my avatar in anticipation of the game, as many do when an OT is put up. Some will actually love the game, while others will hate it. No big deal.

It's a pretty dumb criticism tbh

AlexBasch

It's better than RE5, though. I don't see how anyone who liked that game wouldn't get some enjoyment out of this one. Did RE5 have even one memorable moment or great boss battle? I guess executioner guy is sort of iconic but even that whole sequence is just a rehash of RE4's village.

RE6 just has much higher highs, I feel.
Agree with this statement. I liked RE5 a lot as a whole, but there isn't a "OH SHIT, REMEMBER THIS SCENE, SO BADASS". Aside from motherfucking punching boulder stuff, of course.

Only thing I can absolutely recall is how much I hated the "Tomb Raider" stage. If there was some mod to remove it like the Fade in Dragon Age: Origins, I'd love it.

Wesker fight was cool and fun, but nothing as memorable as the Krauser battles.

To be fair re: the visuals, the game is wildly uneven. You haven't seen some of the worst areas yet. You haven't seen the best yet, either. That said, the size of some of the environments are incredible. One of the best things about the game, for sure.
In chapter 2, when you have to use the long rifle, I spotted some PSX textures when I got the scope through a bunch of trees. Static textures, I might add. Why they didn't just use a normal res picture of a tree? Who knows.

Anyway, I'm having a shitload of fun right now, don't regret my purchase so far.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised, to this day, that they didn't use the executioner more than once in the main campaign. That's some restraint I wouldn't have thought the RE5 team capable of.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I just started playing today, and I'm really confused as to how the inventory and save system works. So, there's no overall inventory anymore a la RE5, and there aren't individual saves anymore a la RE4... so, if you want to replay a level, you always have to start each with an empty inventory unless you are continuing from the previous chapter? That's unfortunate, and really discourages you from playing through with different friends at different times. Could someone let me know if I'm missing something here, or if this is actually the way the game is set up?

Also, the chapter select seems weird too because I just beat Leon Chapter 1 as Helena in a co-op game... got the medals and finish screen, but I can't select Chapter 2 in the Chapter select (want to switch back to Leon). So now I have to do Chapter 1 all over again with Leon? It seems like a needlessly clunky system.

Sorry, I'm just reposting for clarification because I'm sure someone has an answer to this and the game is pretty unhelpful in explaining how the system works. I don't want to lose my progress and items.

This is especially relevant with the "recommended playthrough" order. Because if you start with Chris and switch to Leon and switch to Jake, are you keeping anything when you go back to Chris? It seems you lose everything unless you continue.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to be a little more positive, because I do really like the game more than it seems most do, but this really annoyed me:

(LEON CHAPTER FOUR)
The prelude section playing out differently than how it is originally shown is a baffling decision. It just shows a total lack of care for coherency. I get it, the Helena player would have been disabled for a whole, and doing the tutorial again would have sucked, but that means they shouldn't have used the flash-forward structure on the first place. So silly.

It summarizes the game perfectly. Completely baffling. "How did this happen?" Hilarious. Entertaining. Insulting.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Textures aren't really that impressive in this game. The lightning is great, has a very soft look but the overall picture feels a little muddy. I'm on 360 btw.

I can't explain it. There are some parts that look great but others that just look bad, very uneven looking game.

Fun though, and kind of hard on normal. I'm enjoying the greater focus on meele. Zombies taking 6 or more head shots though is a bit ridiculous although sometimes they go down in two.

This is based on WHERE you shoot them in the head. You can kill them in a single shot even on Pro if you hit them squarely in the face. Shoot a bit to the sides and it only blows off a chunk of their head, but they keep moving.

Did anyone buy any of the costumes off RE.net yet? Are the loadouts different from the alt costumes?

I'm nowhere near as good as Sectus, but I have bought
Blue Pirate
Leon. Seems the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk-gMowhYqI

Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason why it should be played in this order? There's no indication in the menu selection, and it even makes it look as though Leon's should be played first.

Any order is good, that order was just made with chronological order with both story and gameplay in mind.

Mr.Fresh

Just finished the first chapter in Leon's campaign. The camera could use work but other then that I loved it!

I also tried the mercenaries mode . I can see myself playing this for a long time.

There was a section of Chris' campaign I did last night that was hilariously ugly. My God.

I actually think Jake's is the most consistent in the visual department, while Leon's has higher highs than both the others combined.

Erekiddo

This comment will probably be buried, but here's to hoping.

Anyone else who preordered from Microsoft's site to get the 1600 points card, did you receive it yet?

B-Dex

Played through Chris chapter 1......

Almost shut it off once I got to the hostages
being carried around on the backs of the J'avos.....

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Played through Chris chapter 1......

Almost shut it off once I got to the hostages
being carried around on the backs of the J'avos.....

A tip for next time, quick-shooting (pressing both aim an shoot at the same time) works wonders at that part.

Nemesis_

A tip for next time, quick-shooting (pressing both aim an shoot at the same time) works wonders at that part.

I doubt he worked that out but I think he was saying it was a STUPID IDEA / INCLUSION. =/

I can't access No Hope mode. I'm wondering if it even exists? I can't find it in my guide Dusk, where did you find it?

B-Dex

It's not that it was difficult or anything but just how ridiculous it all was. I know it's RE and it has it's fair share of nonsensical situations and plots but this whole scenario just seemed stupid.

Xevren

Only thing that has really bothered me is the lack of a manual and a real tutorial. There was quite a few moves that I had no idea existed until some other people told me about them. Quick mixing herbs, the dodges and all that. Did I just miss that somewhere?

Nemesis_

You can quick mix herbs? o_O

Naturally, the menu defaults to herbs first I believe so I would just know that and memorise the button inputs to mix them while moving on-the-fly.

There is an easier way?

Volcynika

My friend and I wanted a relatively fun romp in co-op, so we did normal. Made it to Leon Chapter 3. While I have some gripes, really enjoying the game with us voicechatting and stuff. Netcode seems pretty good.

Replicant

I assume the prelude is just
Leon's unreliable narration or his version of how things unfolded around that time where he was the big hero, rescuing an injured Helena
when the truth is not even that close to that.

Also, I can't believe people missed out how the control works. Whenever there's a load screen, they have the button config shown from time to time. They also have hints pages on the loading screen.

Quick mixed herbs on PS3: R2 + square at the same time. R2 on its own will just use the herb.

Top Bottom