• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

denshuu

Huh. Kotaku said this as well. Why, without spoilers please? Also, I'm in the middle of chapter 2. At the end of the demo area with Chris. Can I go back to Piers when I complete the chapter somehow?

Piers has more varied gameplay during certain chapters of the game for story-related reasons. Chris is mostly run and gun, but Piers does more stuff. I don't think you can switch characters mid-playthrough unfortunately. It's okay though, it's not that playing as Chris is bad, it's just that Piers has some extra stuff Chris can't do that's really fun.

Sectus

Thanks. I still would like to know why I should play as Piers though. I mean, I don't want to spoil anything but I'd like to know why his campaign is better.

Basically, in one level it's much easier to figure out what to do as Chris. While as Piers it's more "So what the heck should I do here?" and it's easy to die while figuring out what the you're supposed to do to begin with.

Riposte

Watching Giantbomb quicklook of the game is hilarious. Brad is playing through chapter 2 of Leon campaign and complaining about how cheap the zombies are with how they can pounce you and how you can't stop it with one bullet. Jeff randomly asks "Couldn't you avoid that by jumping on your back?" and Brad and Patrick both reply "Err, maybe? I don't know? There's no use for that..."

It is the worst... in my head I'm going like "Don't be that guy... don't be that guy... FUCK" I don't see how that can't be a huge point of contention from anyone listening. That and him not knowing how to roll after 12 hours.

Dartastic

Piers has more varied gameplay during certain chapters of the game for story-related reasons. Chris is mostly run and gun, but Piers does more stuff. I don't think you can switch characters mid-playthrough unfortunately. It's okay though, it's not that playing as Chris is bad, it's just that Piers has some extra stuff Chris can't do that's really fun.

Basically, in one level it's much easier to figure out what to do as Chris. While as Piers it's more "So what the heck should I do here?" and it's easy to die while figuring out what the you're supposed to do to begin with.
Both of these perspectives are really interesting and good to know. What chapters does Piers have that extra stuff in so I can give it a shot, and what level is it easier to figure out what to do as Chris? Thanks!!!

Quick question GAF (just started, loving the game!)

How do you unlock Sherry for Mercenaries? And after that, her alternate uniform? Thanks!

hamchan

Anything related to stuff I like that I think Giant Bomb will hate, I won't watch from them. Maybe that's why I still like them so much. Dreading listening to the podcast today though.

This is the first game I bought without even a single sheet of paper (let alone a full manual), nor did I see a controls display via the in game menu or on the main menu.

yet it has bizarre controls and I feel like I actually need to see the controls.

is my only melee option (apart from equipping a weapon like the knife) the Right trigger on xbox? This attack misses enemies if they are crawling on the floor.

Boy, Chris had a really rough time this game. SPOILERS
First his whole damn crew gets killed, then he's some drunk angry bastard in front of his new crew, then his new crew get killed too, spends two entire missions chasing after Ada Wong, gets upstaged by Leon, finally catches up to Ada and somebody else kills her, spends final leg of the plot fighting a giant monster from nowhere that he doesn't even kill, and then Piers finally dies on him, too.

Damn

Lucent

Quick question GAF (just started, loving the game!)

How do you unlock Sherry for Mercenaries? And after that, her alternate uniform? Thanks!

I think in the guide (I don't have it, I only glanced at it at Best Buy real quick today) it said you have to beat Jake's campaign and then get a certain rank (probably A or B) in the mercs map it unlocks to get Sherry. Same with Piers, only doing Chris' campaign. It's a lot, I know. =/

I think in the guide (I don't have it, I only glanced at it at Best Buy real quick today) it said you have to beat Jake's campaign and then get a certain rank (probably A or B) in the mercs map it unlocks to get Sherry. Same with Piers, only doing Chris' campaign. It's a lot, I know. =/

Thanks... off to Jake's campaign in easy mode it is! :p

hamchan

Boy, Chris had a really rough time this game. SPOILERS
First his whole damn crew gets killed, then he's some drunk angry bastard in front of his new crew, then his new crew get killed too, spends two entire missions chasing after Ada Wong, gets upstaged by Leon, finally catches up to Ada and somebody else kills her, spends final leg of the plot fighting a giant monster from nowhere that he doesn't even kill, and then Piers finally dies on him, too.

Damn

Yep, I really liked where they took his story.

Dude was so damn focused on killing that invisible snake and then Ada, he was near psychotic about it. Then he didn't even get to retire at the end, so sad. Though he seemed more sad about his crew of men in this game than he did about Jill in RE5 lol.

Bad7667

It is the worst... in my head I'm going like "Don't be that guy... don't be that guy... FUCK" I don't see how that can't be a huge point of contention from anyone listening. That and him not knowing how to roll after 12 hours.
Yeah that was pretty surprising. I played the demo once and didn't bother looking at the controls, and figured out how to roll within 5 minutes. The only thing that took a little time figuring out was the quick shot.

I haven't bought the full game and don't really have any interest in doing so, but parts of that quicklook were a little hard to understand.

Ken

Finished Leon's story.

SIMMONS
SIMMONS
SIMMONS
SIMMONS
SIMMONS

Started out poorly in QTE city, got pretty good after the cemetery/cathedral part, and then got terrible at the end with Simmons.

Ken

Am I nuts? Where the hell are you supposed to get skill points? These skills are outrageously priced and enemies MAYBE drop 50 or 100 points.

Certain enemies drop like a thousand each, and you can find some worth 10k in chests I think. Not sure if it's actually 10k since I just pick it up and don't read the numbers.

Man I don't know if I can make it all the way through this game. Chapter 2 of Leon's campaign is some horrendous shit.

Wait 'til you play Chapter 1 of Jake. I'm barely into Chapter 2, and I'm going to force myself to complete this game--that doesn't mean I'm expecting to enjoy doing so.

Jake's
helicopter scene vs. the big bad monster
was so frustrating. I love how shooting at the
helicopter
with a minigun for three seconds causes it to burst into flames, and shooting at it for the next 4 minutes and 57 seconds shows absolutely NO other feedback to let the player know "hey, you're actually doing damage to this thing!" I restarted the checkpoint three fucking times because I thought the game was glitched. The fourth time I just sat there with my finger on the trigger for about 3-4 until at last the
helicopter
blew up. I also died twice in the
in the first helicopter without the miniguns
even though I was pumping monster man full of lead, so much so that I had run out of ammo. When I finally did beat it, I was unsure of what I had done differently the two times I failed it. Then I proceeded to fail the super fast response quick time event four times right after this.

Absolutely maddening, and now I'm in the middle of a
blizzard
in Chapter 2 not able to see a god damn thing. The enemy reactions to being shot are god awful compared to RE4. It's so wrong. The bullets that Leon shot really made the enemies react accordingly. You shoot at a ganado's leg, they fall. That was my strategy all through RE4: shoot the legs, then shoot their heads while they're sprawled out on the ground. RE6's enemies are bullet sponges that encourage sloppy shooting, as long as you're shooting quickly and landing shots wherever they may be. How could Capcom get this part so, so wrong?

The entirety of Jake Chapter 1 was some of the most generic looking environments I've seen in a game. I felt like I was playing the Call of Duty 2 Stalingrad mission. Yeah, I get it, it's in Eastern Europe and Eastern Europe is all gray, bombed out, and devoid of any beauty if video games have taught us anything. The section with the platforms being shot out by the helicopter was some of the most absolutely lazy, half-assed level design I've seen in the last five years, and Jake's animations when these scaffolds collapse are hilarious(ly bad).

The camera problems have been documented as soon as the first demo released--it's awful. Way too close to the player. It's so bad that during Jake Chapter 2 I had to immediately shut the game off as I was feeling nauseous. Half-Life 1 & 2 are the only other games that have had an affected me in that way (HL2 had an FOV edit to fix the problem).

I'm going to finish this game, but man, I can't argue with the low end reviews at all. It's a shame to see what's happened with this game. I can't say I was expecting anything great after seeing footage from E3 this year, but I don't think anyone expected the game to be this disappointing. RE5 seems decent in retrospect because of it.

My morbid curiousity and love for this once great series made me pull the trigger on this game. Next time around I won't be doing the same.

well.... got my first complaint.

Joined a friends game and played through with him for about 3 hours.

We both quit after it saved. Just logged back in to play some more and all that progress is gone.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I was wondering why you had been sitting on your PS3 all day without playing anything. lol. UPS guy delivered it to me a little before 2pm while I was making an omelet.

Yeah just getting some punishing speeds today... sometimes I get quick DL's but today I'm averaging about 1mb/s. Just passed the 75% mark.

Feels bad man. But at least I have a couple days off. I've been watching zombie movies all day to pass the time.

Replicant

Finished Leon's story.

SIMMONS
SIMMONS
SIMMONS
SIMMONS
SIMMONS

Started out poorly in QTE city, got pretty good after the cemetery/cathedral part, and then got terrible at the end with Simmons.

By the time it was the
4th or 5th
iterations I was like "JUST FUCKING DIE ALREADY!!!!!"

Games good so far, still in Leons Campaign. Yes QTE's are present almost every time, but I don't mind them. I think what people thought they would get was a survival horror instead of an action game, but lets keep in mind that the outbreak already had begun and it was a matter of time it became an action plot rather than walking through hollow spaces and wondering if something was going to come out the next window or break through the door.

Something I'm missing here is the plot whereas in RE4 you could travel back and forth areas, unless escaping from that area because a boss destroyed it or the cave was demolished. But it kept that backtracking which I loved in past RE games. This is more of a linear experience.

Also, would've preferred that it only had a campaign mode where I only could choose start new game instead of deciding which character to start. Kind of like Code Veronica, where as you started with Claire then switched to Chris and so on. It kept the pace of the story there, instead of giving me a THE END of one campaign and having to choose another one to continue the story.

Now I don't know if this is such a good idea on keeping the pace of the game and making it more fun for coop. But this game had the potential to go coop for up to 6 players. Taking everyone's chapter where they are apart and each of those character where controlled differently by people and then where they meet up, "boom" we got all 6 of us together taking on together on zombies and finishing the last level. Also keep in mind this is an idea and I still haven't finished the game, so I don't know what happens.

It may have kept this formula where characters can be controlled separately and then leaving them in one area where it could have been a big pharmaceutical company which was controlled by Umbrella or Wesker. Leaving those 6 characters, each which different endings, cinematic experiences, moves, weapons to the choice of the player, instead of giving us this huge linear story where we only have to shoot and run and dodge.

Having 3 campaign makes the player choose on which one of them was the best and the crappiest one, instead of saying this was a good campaign, mediocre or bad.

Certain enemies drop like a thousand each, and you can find some worth 10k in chests I think. Not sure if it's actually 10k since I just pick it up and don't read the numbers.

You know what I hate, Sheva was more smart than the AI in these games, she at least had the decency to pick up coins or ammo and give em to you. Im still in Leons campaign and have yet to see Helena pick up skill points at the least for me. *sigh*

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
You know what I hate, Sheva was more smart than the AI in these games, she at least had the decency to pick up coins or ammo and give em to you. Im still in Leons campaign and have yet to see Helena pick up skill points at the least for me. *sigh*

At least she never dies and doesn't steal your items.

Riposte

If this makes top 10, no top 5, on GAF GotY I'll die. Make it happen guys. I want the backlash to last forever.

They don't pick up things, but they're not bad in a fight, and I never had to revive them once. So it kinda evens out.

edit: Also, is anyone NOT using Laser Sight exclusively? Fuck that reticle.

Replicant

Are you kidding me? The AI friend in this one is better than in RE5. You can at least rely on them to revive you in this one. Whereas in RE5 you'll be given "I can't right now" standard reply.

I used it for Leon's Chapter 1 and 2 and Jake's chapter 1 and 2. Then I switched to laser. I actually think it's faster than the laser.

Ken

They don't pick up things, but they're not bad in a fight, and I never had to revive them once. So it kinda evens out.

Yeah, watching Helena headshot two zombies within 2 seconds was quite nice.

Are you kidding me? The AI friend in this one is better than in RE5. You can at least rely on them to revive you in this one. Whereas in RE5 you'll be given "I can't right now" standard reply.

I used it for Leon's Chapter 1 and 2 and Jake's chapter 1 and 2. Then I switched to laser. I actually think it's faster than the laser.

I didn't said they're dumb, just wish that in areas where we are apart and she killed some of the enemies she takes whatever they drop. In the cemetery stage I went back to where she was stuck before she had to open a gate and there was a ton of skill points on the ground and ammo. Yes I know Sheva was a bitch to revive me sometimes in RE5 but if she picked up an ammo for a gun she didn't had she would give it to me and not keep it.

Salsa

I played this for 15 minutes today, after losing all interest (little I had left after RE5) once media came out

It's clearly not enough time give a general impression, but I do know that the FOV makes me wanna kill myself

Ein Bear

Aww, I thought that beating a campaign unlocked the ability to equip more skills at once, not just multiple loadouts. I feel the skill system is kind of spoiled by how few you can have equipped at once. I have damage increase, defense increase and aim steadying on, which are all so valuable that I don't really see myself ever swapping them out for anything else.

Ditching the multiple weapons/upgrade system from RE4/5 is definitely my biggest problem with the game. Skills suck.

Replicant

I didn't said they're dumb, just wish that in areas where we are apart and she killed some of the enemies she takes whatever they drop. In the cemetery stage I went back to where she was stuck before she had to open a gate and there was a ton of skill points on the ground and ammo. Yes I know Sheva was a bitch to revive me sometimes in RE5 but if she picked up an ammo for a gun she didn't had she would give it to me and not keep it.

I think we shouldn't even have to pick up skill points. It's fucking ridiculous. I already shot the zombie, give me the bloody points already. Why do I have to pick up points? It doesn't make sense from RL perspective. The characters should only pick up real-life things like herbs or guns, etc not some imaginary points.

Yeah, watching Helena headshot two zombies within 2 seconds was quite nice.

Sometimes I was about to shoot the enemies only to have been bested by the AI so I went "I...uh...damn it, now I feel invalid". And sometimes I went into hiding so I can have respite and by the time I'm about to finish them the AI already done the job. They're that good.

Aww, I thought that beating a campaign unlocked the ability to equip more skills at once, not just multiple loadouts. I feel the skill system is kind of spoiled by how few you can have equipped at once. I have damage increase, defense increase and aim steadying on, which are all so valuable that I don't really see myself ever swapping them out for anything else.

Ditching the multiple weapons/upgrade system from RE4/5 is definitely my biggest problem with the game. Skills suck.

Those are mine as well, and I really cannot see myself switching from them, either.

Fuck the RE6 skills system

I think we shouldn't even have to pick up skill points. It's fucking ridiculous. I already shot the zombie, give me the bloody points already. Why do I have to pick up points? It doesn't make sense from RL perspective. The characters should only pick up real-life things like herbs or guns, etc not some imaginary points.

But...but, they're Chess pieces...

DukeBobby

I just started the game and now I'm holding backwards to move forwards.

Thank you scripted intro!

The Prelude is terrible. Don't let it put you off, as the game is actually quite good (well, based on a few chapters of Leon's campaign. I can't say how the rest of the game holds up).

Replicant

But...but, they're Chess pieces...

Unless they can be used to stab zombies in the eyes then I see no point in picking them up.

In other note, I really like Agent Hunt. Loved puking acids and just drag the poor players down to the ground. I just wish I can:

1. Pick which monster I want to be (instead of being randomly assigned based on your skill attributes)
2. Be able to walk better. Controlling zombies feels like I'm flailing all over the place. I guess it's realistic but I want to be able to chomp on my human prey ASAP.

Top Bottom