• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 - Review Thread | Activist Reviews and the Hate Patrol Destroy Truth™

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
He doesn't have it yet, but in the OT quite a few GAF members already do and we've been having active discussion and impressions of it that last few days.

I'm afraid to go into the OT since it's pretty much spoiler central right now (black bars ho!), but what are the thoughts/impressions flying about? My copy should be shipped today so I'm looking forward to digging into it.

snap0212

I'm in the middle of the game now and there is no way it's "below average".
So? He probably played the whole game and felt that it was actually a below average game. It's an opinion. Glad you like the game but come on, getting upset because another person doesn't like the game you like is ridiculous.

aaand this is why i haven't pre-ordered it and why i'm waiting for the PC version if it ever happens. will be cheaper, and might just get salvaged if not by capcom by modders.

the demos were just unavoidably weird. it's so uncomfortable to turn away from my favourite video game series like this, but i liked the games in the series because they were really good, no other reason. RE0, Revelations and RE5 all reviewed notably better than this and are the ones there seems to be mixed feelings about.

seeing these review scores are the worst kind of 'i knew this was going to happen'. but those two demos.

eugh. it has been said a lot, but never been quite so true:

how the might have fallen. just earlier this year we got the brilliant Revelations. i'm still playing Raid mode. it had calmed my fears about the franchise being in new hands.

mollipen

My score isn't the main EGM one, and is instead one of the three that are in the mag - so I'm not sure when it'll hit. That said, for me, RE6 is one of the highest scores I've given this year. As a fan since the original game on the PS1, I just absolutely loved what was done here, even taking into account sone disagreements with gameplay. (Chris' gameplay wasn't exactly what I wanted, yet his scenario made me actually care about him when I never liked him before.)

To me, this is a better Resident Evil than RE4, and I loved RE4.

Some of the reviews are a little harsh. I mean the game has serious problems and it really is probably the most inconstant, most messiest game I’ve ever played – but it’s still fun.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This makes me sad in a way. A well respected Japanese 3rd party and franchise blatantly bastardizing themselves to get the Western shooter crowd and by most accounts failing.

cvxfreak

I honestly would have given the DD demo a 5/10 and the TGS demo a 7/10. I wonder where I'll stand. In the past, I've tended to align my views on RE with IGN's reviews, for what it's worth.

And your poster child for this stuff is RE4?

It's the poster child for where the series went wrong. It left its horror roots behind in favor of action. Just go back and look at the RE4 prototypes in comparison to what actually came out. The prototypes leaned toward horror while what we ended up getting was an action game.

Vire

Not surprised at all. Demo was absolutely dreadful.

I remember getting into an argument with someone telling them that the MetaCritic average would be 70 and below.

Guess I was right.

Gamespot's review is scathing...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
re6b3yyl.jpg
too many hands in the cookie jar

meta4

It just shows that people were out to hate this game and it's direction from the very beginning. I'm really disappointed that "video games journalism" has come to this.

yes, the game is not perfect.

But a fucking 3?

We've both played it. I'd like to know what they played to come to that comparison. I suggest you play it for yourself because I really don't see the comparisons with Uncharted. =/

I would not worry too much about a 3 from Sterling. That guy is a bonafide troll. Other reviews however seem to confirm my thoughts based on the demo and the stream's. It is at best a very mediocre game.

So? He probably played the whole game and felt that it was actually a below average game. It's an opinion. Glad you like the game but come on, getting upset because another person doesn't like the game you like is ridiculous.

I'm not "upset" as I bought the game on a whim and I'm not a fan of Resident Evil games, but merely calling a spade a spade.

According to Gamespot this game is worse than Haze and as bad as LAIR and Sonic 2006. I don't think that's fair.

Curufinwe

My score isn't the main EGM one, and is instead one of the three that are in the mag - so I'm not sure when it'll hit. That said, for me, RE6 is one of the highest scores I've given this year. As a fan since the original game on the PS1, I just absolutely loved what was done here, even taking into account sone disagreements with gameplay. (Chris' gameplay wasn't exactly what I wanted, yet his scenario made me actually care about him when I never liked him before.)

To me, this is a better Resident Evil than RE4, and I loved RE4.

You are the anti-Phillip Kollar, but if he's right about this then 4/10 doesn't seem that harsh.

The lack of feedback takes its most frustrating form in Resident Evil 6's frequent boss battles, where it's difficult to tell when or how you're having any impact against bosses. Did I do enough damage on this giant snake creature to trigger the next cutscene? Did I just survive long enough? I couldn't tell you, and I suspect the answer is different for each fight. This confusion robs actions of any feeling of consequence. Resident Evil 6 is the worst kind of cinematic video game — one where the player's part in the process is an afterthought at best.
Re6-review-screen-2b

It's so much of an afterthought, in fact, that an alarming number of player actions are relegated to button-mashing quick time events. Resident Evil games have fallen back on waggling the analog stick or quickly tapping a button to escape instant death for a long time, but Resident Evil 6 takes that bad habit to depressing extremes. I lost count of how often a quick time event popped up out of nowhere with split-second timing required, guaranteeing that I failed and died the first time.

Even worse, some of those already-awful boss fights end with increasingly difficult demands to tap a button over and over. Just when you think you might be finished with a particularly annoying segment, you'll run into and fail a quick time event and find yourself forced to replay the last five minutes.

rvy

Banned
haha what happened to Capcom?

Clover makes no money, talent leaves. Capcom goes mad and releases RE4 on PS2, biggest talent leaves. Biggest talent re-defines 3rd person shooters this gen, Capcom uses 600 people to work on a game that sucks. Talk about karma.

Averon

I always thought RE6 attempt to satisfy everyone (horror, action, tps, etc...) would bite it in the ass. Looks like I was right.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I was going to get this tomorrow and play co-op with a buddy. We're going to rethink that and wait a bit to see what the general player reaction is... definitely doesn't sound good.

Maybe I'll take that RE6 money and put it towards Dishonored instead...

Top Bottom