• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 seems to have begun development immediately after 6?

Hiltz

Capcom's ruined my interest in Resident Evil. Now there's only Monster Hunter left for me. I really hope they remind themselves of what made RE 4 good when they still want to steer the series in a more action-oriented direction.

Shosai

Banned
How is RE6 a western shooter? That shit makes no sense. I think some people forget how invested Japan is in third person shooters.

A lot of people have noted RE6 taking design and mechanic influences from a number of recent western games. Gears of War, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty, etc. Both as a compliment and as a detraction, but I think the producers have also been open about their western game design influences.

Ironically, Resident Evil has sort of become an amalgamation of western franchises that it once inspired...

djshauny

Banned
Capcom's ruined my interest in Resident Evil. Now there's only Monster Hunter left for me. I really hope they remind themselves of what made RE 4 good when they still want to steer the series in a more action-oriented direction.

Yeah

Im not exactly excited by this news.

The game needs to go back to its roots.

dan2026

Resident Evil truly is a mutant monster now.

It wont die and every time you think it is gone for good it comes back in a new awful form.

Grisby

RE6 Mercenaries was fun but the campaign was just, ugh. Specially that Jake level where you constantly slide down that goddamn slope.
4 was an action game though. I mean, I'd say from 2 on the series started leaning more into the action angle but 4 was where it exploded.

Which really isn't their interest. All they've aimed to do is to try and put in that "over-the-top Capcom style" and topping with each release, from the Umbrella Chronicles to Resident Evil 6. That or they feel that the series should be a parody of itself from the popularity of the bad voice acting of the original and quirky moments of 4, which you would have thought was already being addressed successfully by the Dead Rising franchise.

4 was an action game though. I mean, I'd say from 2 on the series started leaning more into the action angle but 4 was where it exploded.

The action was done well in 4 though, and had a great balance for the majority of the game. Which was Hiltz' point, in that if the producers at Capcom want to emulate the critical success of 4, then they need to do just that with what the game did well instead of just the generalities.

HoodWinked

capcom don't really have any big marquee intellectual properities other than resident evil and they're trying to keep it on life support. monster hunter is the closest but even that is only really successful in japan.

i think they were hoping dragon's dogma could have taken off to that degree sure it did respectable but isnt going to keep capcom solvent.

i enjoyed resident evil 5 was alot of fun playing through it on co-op and visually still among the best on 360 a solid 8.5 but RE6 is such a sadness because you can see how all the parts could fit together to make an excellent game but they fucked it all up.

Liamario

Banned
I have zero faith in capcom anymore. They've completely lost their way. I'm sure they can produce a half decent game, but they'll never get near resi 4.

G-Fex

I don't understand it either. She's just a power fantasy.
And Leon and Chris and Whisker Jr. wasn't? Give me a break.

And I am pretty tired of hearing western third person shooter cause it makes no sense. It plays nothing like Uncharted or the other shooters.

And there's no chest high walls in 6 really.

Gaz_RB

When people say "bring the series back to it's roots" that better not mean shitty controls and an awful camera. That did make the game scary, but for the wrong reasons.

And we don't need a reboot. Innovation can be found in the middle of a series. Look at RE4.

That's one of the main things wrong with RE6: the fact that the player characters are so empowered now, making one of the actual games so much like those terrible movies now.

Agreed, they need to make the main characters more vulnerable like in previous games.

I feel like RE6 was on the brink in regards to this. RE7 can either push it into the movie territory or it can put RE back at the top of the survival horror totem pole.

I know you're being sarcastic, but 4 players having to rely on each other in a true survival horror game would be awesome. Characters have to split up, find each other (no HUD telling you where they are) , complete their own objectives while trying to survive as a group.

It just needs to be executed well.

Resident Evil: Outbreak was great.

Riposte

A lot of people have noted RE6 taking design and mechanic influences from a number of recent western games. Gears of War, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty, etc. Both as a compliment and as a detraction, but I think the producers have also been open about their western game design influences.

Ironically, Resident Evil has sort of become an amalgamation of western franchises that it once inspired...

You just listed a bunch of games (in and out of a genre, even) that are not exactly similar to each other. The case presented by "a lot of people" is highly vague and doesn't even examine what is distinctly Japanese or Western. As such, you ignore the possibility that Resident Evil 6 was inspired by other Japanese TPS (e.g. other Capcom games, such as the evasion dodge-centric Lost Planet and the previous REs that have many of the same concepts (including parallels from things such as now discarded QTE counters). Vanquish is easy to draw parallels to with how dodging into a shooting stance works. Or how about Demon's Souls as it features player invasions - though campaign crossovers is more unexplored territory). I would better describe this as "Capcom influence" (if not plainly a "Japanese action game influence"). I believe you can see this influence in games like Dragon's Dogma, which some would say is just a Elder Scrolls clone if they weren't paying attention. That elaborate (over-elaborate, some could argue) combat system design is just in their basic design philosophy. If they really wanted to make a standard western TPS, they could have halved the mechanics in there and dropped the enemies designed around them. It doesn't make sense to do the extra work that only makes the game look increasingly different than other franchises.

As things stand I believe it is fair to say it is more than an amalgamation, or at least no more one than every single other contemporary game. You could make any one look like one thanks to assigning every single mechanic to a bunch of individual random sources (which is exactly what one does when they pull out a big old list of games like you did). If you want to prove it as nothing more than an amalgamation then you need to not only be highly specific, but also find a way to exclude most other games to make that statement meaningful.

I can say for certain RE6 doesn't play pretty much at all like a Call of Duty game and if a lot of people want to say it does, then, unsurprisingly, a lot of people don't know what they are talking about. (It is also more than a little bit funny to imply Resident Evil 4 as one of the games that inspired Call of Duty.)

The fall-from-grace narrative you would entertain yourself with as written in your last sentence is a bit nauseating. I don't know what to do with that kind of lamentation. A game being inspired by other games isn't really noteworthy (nor is a Resident Evil being inspired any different). None of the games inspired by RE4 are less for it; I would say the contrary. The idea that RE6 is nothing but recycled ideas is easy to reject as it ultimately stands out as a relatively fresh take on the TPS genre and pointing out that you can find a TPS from the west (this matters, I guess) that does one of the things it does (IDK, uh, dodges, but only the idea that it has dodges, not exactly RE6's dodges and how they interact with enemies) doesn't really change that. We already know what the Gears/Mass Effect 2+/Uncharted (slightly less so)/etc. cover TPS formula looks like and what the ingredients are there (even if they can be changed and updated for each game), and RE6 looks very little like that. In any case, spare me the silly sentimentality over videogame history. It is, if nothing else, highly unnecessary.

Shosai

Banned
You just listed a bunch of games (in and out of a genre, even) that are not exactly similar to each other. The case presented by "a lot of people" is highly vague and doesn't even examine what is distinctly Japanese or Western. As such, you ignore the possibility that Resident Evil 6 was inspired by other Japanese TPS (e.g. other Capcom games, such as the evasion dodge-centric Lost Planet and the previous REs that have many of the same concepts (including parallels from things such as now discarded QTE counters). Vanquish is easy to draw parallels to with how dodging into a shooting stance works. Or how about Demon's Souls as it features player invasions - though campaign crossovers is more unexplored territory). I would better describe this as "Capcom influence" (if not plainly a "Japanese action game influence"). I believe you can see this influence in games like Dragon's Dogma, which some would say is just a Elder Scrolls clone if they weren't paying attention. That elaborate (over-elaborate, some could argue) combat system design is just in their basic design philosophy. If they really wanted to make a standard western TPS, they could have halved the mechanics in there and dropped the enemies designed around them. It doesn't make sense to do the extra work that only makes the game look increasingly different than other franchises.

As things stand I believe it is fair to say it is more than an amalgamation, or at least no more one than every single other contemporary game. You could make any one look like one thanks to assigning every single mechanic to a bunch of individual random sources (which is exactly what one does when they pull out a big old list of games like you did). If you want to prove it as nothing more than an amalgamation then you need to not only be highly specific, but also find a way to exclude most other games to make that statement meaningful.

I can say for certain RE6 doesn't play pretty much at all like a Call of Duty game and if a lot of people want to say it does, then, unsurprisingly, a lot of people don't know what they are talking about. (It is also more than a little bit funny to imply Resident Evil 4 as one of the games that inspired Call of Duty.)

The fall-from-grace narrative you would entertain yourself with as written in your last sentence is a bit nauseating. I don't know what to do with that kind of lamentation. A game being inspired by other games isn't really noteworthy (nor is a Resident Evil being inspired any different). None of the games inspired by RE4 are less for it; I would say the contrary. The idea that RE6 is nothing but recycled ideas is easy to reject as it ultimately stands out as a relatively fresh take on the TPS genre and pointing out that you can find a TPS from the west (this matters, I guess) that does one of the things it does (IDK, uh, dodges, but only the idea that it has dodges, not exactly RE6's dodges and how they interact with enemies) doesn't really change that. We already know what the Gears/Mass Effect 2+/Uncharted (slightly less so)/etc. cover TPS formula looks like and what the ingredients are there (even if they can be changed and updated for each game), and RE6 looks very little like that. In any case, spare me the silly sentimentality over videogame history. It is, if nothing else, highly unnecessary.

What an overly-verbose misreading of my post. I never implied that taking influence from other games was a bad thing, that was your assumption. Everyone does it, in every culture, and it's a healthy part of the creative process. So you don't need to be so weirdly offended by the un-controversial notion that Japanese and Western developers influence each other

Which is besides the point, as Resident Evil 6's problem wasn't in it's influences, but it's execution.

EDIT: But since you wanted me to be more specific in drawing comparisons:

Call of Duty: Half the people reviewing this game compared the game's spectacle, emphasis on explosions, shooting, QTE button prompts and globetrotting campaign to Call of Duty and Michael Bay. It's not one that I personally agree with, but it strong enough for many people to draw comparisons. It's not like Capcom is the only Japanese developer to take cues from CoD recently. Also the new perk system and increased emphasis on multiplayer matchmaking

Left 4 Dead: The companion "downing" mechanic where one player gets knocked into a fight for your life mode while the other must pull them back up. Also, the specialized zombie designs in Leon's campaign. The Whopper (boomer), the Screamer, and a couple of particularly inspired sequences in the first two chapters. Notably the one where you must fight through a graveyard, run up to a chapel, pound on the locked front doors, only for the paranoid occupant to refuse to let you in. So he starts ringing the church bell and you must fight off waves of zombies until he lets you in.

Dead Space: Mostly the UI elements. Menus that float in front of your character while they can walk. Also a single button that can now push to reveal the glowing "rail" you must follow to your next objective. Come on, this is obvious.

Gears of War: I haven't played these games, so bear in mind I'm going by hearsay. But pretty much any game that incorporates a cover mechanic gets compared to GoW. Unsurprising, since it was the first game to really popularize the mechanic in TPS games.

Whompa

And Leon and Chris and Whisker Jr. wasn't? Give me a break.

And I am pretty tired of hearing western third person shooter cause it makes no sense. It plays nothing like Uncharted or the other shooters.

And there's no chest high walls in 6 really.

Why do I have to keep giving you a break? Chris Redfield was not a power fantasy until 5 and Leon is just a wise ass. Wesker is a badguy...you get to play as him if you want, but he's not the definition of that convention.

Alice is the main hero to the films. She's become such a ridiculous character after each iteration.

Manu

Why do I have to keep giving you a break? Chris Redfield was not a power fantasy until 5 and Leon is just a wise ass. Wesker is a badguy...you get to play as him if you want, but he's not the definition of that convention.

Alice is the main hero to the films. She's become such a ridiculous character after each iteration.

Wesker Jr. = Jake Muller

Grisby

The action was done well in 4 though, and had a great balance for the majority of the game. Which was Hiltz' point, in that if the producers at Capcom want to emulate the critical success of 4, then they need to do just that with what the game did well instead of just the generalities.
Yeah. I had some pacing issues with 4 but 6 blew that out of the water. They need to go back to better moment to moment gameplay.

E92 M3

Resident Evil truly is a mutant monster now.

It wont die and every time you think it is gone for good it comes back in a new awful form.

So RE is like Ultimecia (boss fight) - starts of great and only gets uglier.

FF8_Ultimecia.png

Yeah. I had some pacing issues with 4 but 6 blew that out of the water. They need to go back to better moment to moment gameplay.

Curious, but where did you find the elements start breaking down? There was some bogging down in the castle, but to me it started falling apart at the Salazar battle. The Island had some great moments with the Regenerators and Iron Maidens, but overall it started to feel a bit janky with what they were throwing at you and seemed to go off board.

RE7 can either push it into the movie territory or it can put RE back at the top of the survival horror totem pole.

Not a chance ... there seems to be a new wave of survival horror titles that have far surpassed what any RE title is capable of these days, especially with the arrival of the Rift. It's sad to see such an epic series fall from grace like it has.

Grisby

Curious, but where did you find the elements start breaking down? There was some bogging down in the castle, but to me it started falling apart at the Salazar battle. The Island had some great moments with the Regenerators and Iron Maidens, but overall it started to feel a bit janky with what they were throwing at you and seemed to go off board.
Was feeling some fatigue around the castle area. I enjoyed the encounters with the regenerators because it creeped me the hell out, something the whole game hadn't really done outside of the first open combat area where I didn't know my head from my asshole in terms of general combat flow/aiming,etc.

Whompa

Wesker Jr. = Jake Muller

i wont disagree with that...still doesn't make Alice any less of one...it's the biggest problem in the franchise. Capcom wants to make you feel cool while killing zombies. I want to feel helpless.

G-Fex

Cause I'm Mr. Nobody and you like me :)

I don't know Leon is a power fantasy in 4 and 6. I'd say Sherry is too if she wasn't such a stereotypical character trying to impress senpai Jake.

So Alice isn't that ridiculous when you think about it. Attention getting? Sure :p

And yes Riposte is weird but I love him anyway.

Korigama

Cause I'm Mr. Nobody and you like me :)

I don't know Leon is a power fantasy in 4 and 6. I'd say Sherry is too if she wasn't such a stereotypical character trying to impress senpai Jake.

So Alice isn't that ridiculous when you think about it. Attention getting? Sure :p

And yes Riposte is weird but I love him anyway.
Alice kung-fu fought Nemesis, had psychic powers, and an army of clones.

G-Fex

Alice kung-fu fought Nemesis, had psychic powers, and an army of clones.

Ada had a clone birthed from a alien egg.

Leon and everybody does kung-fu on zombies and jake bare hands fought that nemesis knock off. Chris punched a boulder.

Wesker had super villain powers.

Korigama

Ada had a clone birthed from a alien egg.

Leon and everybody does kung-fu on zombies and jake bare hands fought that nemesis knock off. Chris punched a boulder.

Wesker had super villain powers.
Will never stop being funny.

Alice is still terrible, even when compared to all of the stupid crap in the actual games. Never thought I'd see anyone make a serious effort to defend her.

G-Fex

Will never stop being funny.

Alice is still terrible, even when compared to all of the stupid crap in the actual games. Never thought I'd see anyone make a serious effort to defend her.

Well at least they'll never use severed penises and other stupid shit that Capcom does to promote RE6.

Sorry no zombie meat at the red carpet premiere

Top Bottom