• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

gelf

Why are people here obsessed with the cropping. As far as I'm concerned that modes only there for people who really can't handle the black bars in the 4:3 mode its meant to be played in.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think their 16:9 panning solution is really clever. Good way to satisfy those who want the full view taken while notbhaving to modify every camera angle. If the backgrounds were re-rendered for 1920x1440 it would probably be how i played the game.

Why are people here obsessed with the cropping. As far as I'm concerned that modes only there for people who really can't handle the black bars in the 4:3 mode its meant to be played in.

It's how it affects the entire presentation of gameplay. You enter a room, and everything is there in a way to draw certain reactions or provide the player with certain information. Puzzles, enemy placement, player orientation, and item placement are all a part of this.

Just because the 4:3 option is there doesn't mean people shouldn't be concerned how the game is affected in the other option. May not matter as much to those who've played it enough to be familiar with where things are and what to do, but newer players may not take well to how it's presented.

^It's clever. I just want to see it in realtime rather than a few screenshots.

FyreWulff

I would have honestly just presented the game with black bars, but the public is so afraid of black bars that creators are pushed into mangling their presentation instead of just training the public to accept that something was intended for a specific format.

I would have honestly just presented the game with black bars, but the public is so afraid of black bars that creators are pushed into mangling their presentation instead of just training the public to accept that something was intended for a specific format.

You can also play in 4:3 luckily

-MD-

So is this shaping up to be bad?

No?

I'm recommending everyone to watch Game Informer's playthrough of both the original Resident Evil and its REmake. The 6th episode was posted today on youtube. New episodes are posted on tuesdays and mondays on youtube, at noon EST.

If anyone is going into this game for the first time don't watch any footage. Just go into it completely blind.

The game itself is amazing, and it seems they are updating it a bit, but not as much as some people had hoped for.

Here's the thing that sucks about this, up until now nobody ever wanted or expected anything but a direct port of the Gamecube game. Nobody wanted it rebuilt, nobody even asked for a remaster, going on RE forums and discussions over the years people just wanted a straight up port. Capcom announces it as a "remaster" and everyone flips their shit albeit not as much as the day it was announced when all the psuedo-RE fans poured into this thread to voice their disgust with this remaster.

It's kinda sad as we're getting more than we ever wanted or expected and people still complain.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Here's the thing that sucks about this, up until now nobody ever wanted or expected anything but a direct port of the Gamecube game. Nobody wanted it rebuilt, nobody even asked for a remaster, going on RE forums and discussions over the years people just wanted a straight up port. Capcom announces it as a "remaster" and everyone flips their shit albeit not as much as the day it was announced when all the psuedo-RE fans poured into this thread to voice their disgust with this remaster.

It's kinda sad as we're getting more than we ever wanted or expected and people still complain.

Oh come on that's bullshit. Nobody wanted a port with upgraded backgrounds because nobody expected that Capcom would ever actually port the game anywhere. The only reason people weren't asking for it is because they had legitimately no expectation that it would even be reasonably expectable since Capcom seemed to be shwoing no interest in it. If people knew that it was going to happen (like people now know that it's going to happen) of course they come to expect more than just 512x488 images stretched out to 1920x1440 for 16:9 players and 1440x1080 for 4:3 players.

Saying "No body was asking for it to be improved before!" is disingenuous because no body thought a port would ever happen at all.

-MD-

Oh come on that's bullshit. Nobody wanted a port with upgraded backgrounds because nobody expected that Capcom would ever actually port the game anywhere. The only reason people weren't asking for it is because they had legitimately no expectation that it would even be reasonably expectable since Capcom seemed to be shwoing no interest in it.

Saying "No body was asking for it to be improved before!" is disingenuous because no body thought a port would ever happen at all.

Bullshit? You just agreed with me.

Nobody ever expected Capcom to ever do anything with the game, at most we would get a port and so that's all anybody ever asked for.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Bullshit? You just agreed with me.

Nobody ever expected Capcom to ever do anything with the game, at most we would get a port and so that's all anybody ever asked for.

Maybe I misinterpreted your thoughts.

Here's how I read it - "Before people only wanted a port, and now that they're getting a port, they're asking for unreasonable improvements. People are being given what they asked for, but now they're asking for more."

Is that accurate, or do I misunderstand?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
the screens for this don't look too bad, but playing on a 60 inch, I fear it's going to look like a hot mess. I've always wanted to play REmake, but imagining the screenshots of the Re-REmake that have been posted here being blown up to 10x their size.... I wish Capcom would just redo the backgrounds from scratch but keep them prerendered. That'll keep the game future proof too if they want to port it on the PS5/Xbox Two or whatever comes next

I think if anyone were expecting a Remaster of the game, they would have been expecting the same time and attention that was given to the GameCube remake. Which they obviously fell short of with this Remaster.

-MD-

Maybe I misinterpreted your thoughts.

Here's how I read it - "Before people only wanted a port, and now that they're getting a port, they're asking for unreasonable improvements. People are being given what they asked for, but now they're asking for more."

Is that accurate, or do I misunderstand?

I'll try and make it as clear as possible.

1. Nobody expects anything from modern Capcom, we all know that they're a shit company and AT MOST they would just port the game straight up with no changes. This is all anyone has ever asked for from Capcom, just port us these older titles so we can play them.
  2. Capcom's old community manager Sven tried years ago to port us these older titles but Capcom are inept and it never went anywhere.
  3. Fast forward a couple years and they announce this remaster, now people have unreasonable expectations because it's called a "remaster". If they had just done what people have been asking them to do for years, port the fucking game, then nobody would be bitching.

I think if anyone were expecting a Remaster of the game, they would have been expecting the same time and attention that was given to the GameCube remake. Which they obviously fell short of with this Remaster.

That's the thing, nobody was expecting a remaster. We were all crossing our fingers for a port. This is actually better than anyone ever expected but people are still unhappy because it's not up to their standards, this is why the situation is sad. If they had done even less effort and removed the "remaster" from the title, they'd be getting less flak as it'd simply be a port.

As I said, people are never satisfied.

Hyllian

After thinking about it, I came to a conclusion: if Capcom indeed doesn't have the original assets and have to work over the GC ones, then the best they could reach is by using some kind of CRT filter + bloom. There's no way to keep the geometry of the image and at the same time get rid of blurring using any other filters currently available. Only CRT filters can achieve it with minimal drawback (losing brightness, but can be compensated by bloom). And using bloom with it, you can replicate GC visuals on a crt or, at least, something on par.

I made some basic crt filter to test the GC Remake backgrounds. Unfortunately I don't have a bloom to enhance the results a bit more. Yet, I think the results are very good and help to keep the details and atmosphere present in the original ones and at a resolution three times bigger, which can be cropped to use in 720p.

Nemesis_

the screens for this don't look too bad, but playing on a 60 inch, I fear it's going to look like a hot mess. I've always wanted to play REmake, but imagining the screenshots of the Re-REmake that have been posted here being blown up to 10x their size.... I wish Capcom would just redo the backgrounds from scratch but keep them prerendered. That'll keep the game future proof too if they want to port it on the PS5/Xbox Two or whatever comes next

It's not a matter of "I wish that Capcom would just re-do the backgrounds".

That's a huge undertaking and is expensive in terms of time and capital.

Although I do wonder if the "masters" were still around that Capcom could perhaps do a marginally better job.

I don't care either way, I'm just glad more people get to play the greatest survival horror game ever made. Can't wait for my PS3 version to rock up in November.
and then to double dip on XBO/PS4 later on in 2015

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'll try and make it as clear as possible.

1. Nobody expects anything from modern Capcom, we all know that they're a shit company and AT MOST they would just port the game straight up with no changes. This is all anyone has ever asked for from Capcom, just port us these older titles so we can play them.
  2. Capcom's old community manager Sven tried years ago to port us these older titles but Capcom are inept and it never went anywhere.
  3. Fast forward a couple years and they announce this remaster, now people have unreasonable expectations because it's called a "remaster". If they had just done what people have been asking them to do for years, port the fucking game, then nobody would be bitching.

Then I definitely disagree with your thoughts on what people expected.

I don't think people were expecting a straight port, but I also don't think they were expecting basically a ReREmake either. I think they were expecting the reasonable expectation, a port with the addition of re-rendered backgrounds.

By the way, sorry about starting my last response with "Oh come on that's bullshit." It came off as needlessly hostile, and that wasn't cool to do.

After thinking about it, I came to a conclusion: if Capcom indeed doesn't have the original assets and have to work over the GC ones, then the best they could reach is by using some kind of CRT filter + bloom. There's no way to keep the geometry of the image and at the same time get rid of blurring using any other filters currently available. Only CRT filters can achieve it with minimal drawback (losing brightness, but can be compensated by bloom). And using bloom with it, you can replicate GC visuals on a crt or, at least, something on par.

I made some basic crt filter to test the GC Remake backgrounds. Unfortunately I don't have a bloom to enhance the results a bit more. Yet, I think the results are very good and help to keep the details and atmosphere present in the original ones and at a resolution three times bigger, which can be cropped to use in 720p.

I don't know that CRT is the way to go with this. If they don't have the source files to re-render with, or aren't able to render them again, then I think a well scaled version of the backgrounds can help a lot. Going the CRT route sort of forces an effect that really changes the overall dynamic of the visuals. Perhaps give it as an option? I tried the CRT effect as an alternative before and in the end it didn't feel right.

I'm currently playing through with SweetFx + custom scaled backgrounds and sitting a few feet away from my 40" TV, the game looks good. It's not perfect, and it's definitely not noticeably higher res, but it looks good and sharp.

It's not a matter of "I wish that Capcom would just re-do the backgrounds".

That's a huge undertaking and is expensive in terms of time and capital.

Most aren't asking for the backgrounds to be redone. They're asking for the original backgrounds to be re-rendered. We don't know how huge of an undertaking that is, in terms of time, development, or anything else.

Hyllian

A CRT display is not the same as an emulated CRT effect tho.
Indeed. But, looking at these backgrounds with this fake crt effect, the result is so much better than what Capcom is using. And it could be enhanced with a selective bloom, which would increase brightness and contrast.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Indeed. But, looking at these backgrounds with this fake crt effect, the result is so much better than what Capcom is using. And it could be enhanced with a selective bloom, which would increase brightness and contrast.

I will definitely agree that Capcom needs to be scaling better if they do intend to scale at the end of the day.

Serdley

I wonder what will be the results if you plug a PS3/360 to a real CRT TV...

I just saw some gameplay videos of this yesterday and I wasn't impressed at all. It looks very archaic. This series deserved a full 3D 1080p 60 FPS, better controls, camera and gameplay remake.

Might buy the PS4 version for $5-$10 down the road

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I just saw some gameplay videos of this yesterday and I wasn't impressed at all. It looks very archaic. This series deserved a full 3D 1080p 60 FPS, better controls, camera and gameplay remake.

Saw where?

Also, I totally disagree with the need of full 3D, FPS, camera, and gameplay remake. You're asking for a different game entirely. And realtime still couldn't do prerendered on par with the full res rendering we've seen of this game.

Saw where?

Also, I totally disagree with the need of full 3D, FPS, camera, and gameplay remake. You're asking for a different game entirely. And realtime still couldn't do prerendered on par with the full res rendering we've seen of this game.

I saw the gameplay videos of the gamecube version. It was kick ass back in the day on GC, but now eh....

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I saw the gameplay videos of the gamecube version. It was kick ass back in the day on GC, but now eh....

I'm playing the game currently for the first time and it's still really damned good.

I've been more terrified during this game than most any other modern survival horror game. It does scares really well.

-MD-

I'm playing the game currently for the first time and it's still really damned good.

I've been more terrified during this game than most any other modern survival horror game. It does scares really well.

Agreed, it's still an incredible game. I started another playthrough a couple weeks ago and remembered what it was like to be scared in a video game again. It was super refreshing.

I'm holding off my Dolphin playthrough for this remake.

allright i will check it out

I hope they fix the loading, maybe they can load a good portion of the game on the ram and remove those awful loading cuts altogether

Grief.exe

iQy0CX1aqq8KL.gif

I hope they fix the loading, maybe they can load a good portion of the game on the ram and remove those awful loading cuts altogether

Disc read times,have improved since then, but that is irrelevant as this will be read off of the hard drive,

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Do you mean the door cutscenes? It's always been a Resident Evil trope, but I can totally understand not wanting them anymore. Even when not loading, it does still do the doors as having the game on an SSD doesn't speed up the transitions at all. Hopefully there's an option to skip them by pressing start.

Do you mean the door cutscenes? It's always been a Resident Evil trope, but I can totally understand not wanting them anymore. Even when not loading, it does still do the doors as having the game on an SSD doesn't speed up the transitions at all. Hopefully there's an option to skip them by pressing start.

Aww come on man! Those doors just add to the flavor!

(In all honesty I could understand some wanting to skip it... I just remember the fear of waiting for that door to finish opening. What the hell was coming next!? Good times good times)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Aww come on man! Those doors just add to the flavor!

(In all honesty I could understand some wanting to skip it... I just remember the fear of waiting for that door to finish opening. What the hell was coming next!? Good times good times)

I'm in the same boat. I dig the door transitions, but I think options are always better so I would prefer if people had the choice to skip.

Opening a door to a room and having those second of calm until you realize you forgot it had
Crimson Heads
is such a terrifying realization every time.

The only actual reason I want to be able to do it is for the speed runners. I think the first time through, it should be deactivated, then NG+ activated (or if a completed save file exists on the machine)

There's tension built up in some of those loading screens, and for a first timer, I think they should experience it. That said, they could maybe shorten the screens by a second or two and only leave the ones meant to build tension at their full length.

I dunno lol

I'm in the same boat. I dig the door transitions, but I think options are always better so I would prefer if people had the choice to skip.

Opening a door to a room and having those second of calm until you realize you forgot it had
Crimson Heads
is such a terrifying realization every time.

...I actually don't think I can wait until next year. Haha. Truly one of the original 'NOPE' moments for me. This may very well be a double dip or I'll at least have to dust off my GC before the PS4/XBO releases.

Top Bottom