• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

-MD-

When I first experienced a
crimson head
I actually shut my gamecube off. I was 12 at the time and it was just too much. I'd keep replaying the first couple hours of the game and as soon as I came across one I'd just restart my save file, this went on for months.

Game was really something else.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
crimson head
I actually shut my gamecube off. I was 12 at the time and it was just too much. I'd keep replaying the first couple hours of the game and as soon as I came across one I'd just restart my save file, this went on for months.

On my save file I currently have a hall with 2 of them in it and every time I enter it's like an olympic god damn sprint to get to the nearest door.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
crimson head

Yeah, I played through remake when I was 14 and was a bit of a wreck by the time I finally finished the game. Shit, I'm still tense as hell whenever I play it.

This thread reminds me, though: I never actually played the game as Chris. I think I want to remedy this soon....

Mr_Zombie

I just saw some gameplay videos of this yesterday and I wasn't impressed at all. It looks very archaic. This series deserved a full 3D 1080p 60 FPS, better controls, camera and gameplay remake.

It's not impressive if you think about the game as a third person shooter.
RE1/REmake (more than further games in the series) is an action-adventure game with more emphasize on exploration and puzzles than shooting. I don't remember REmake very well (only played it once or twice), but in the original RE1 there were very few enemies. There're probably (more or less) as many zombies during the opening part of RE2, before you even reach RPD, as in the whole mansion in RE1.

Sectus

Original:

a5ru2p.jpg

Capcom's:

re_009_bmp_jpgcopy.jp6jlnu.jpg

Mine:

finaljjdoj.jpg

I come close and with NO crushed blacks! http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/86886

Can you share which settings/steps you did to get this result? I assume it was done in Photoshop?

Melchiah

I think if anyone were expecting a Remaster of the game, they would have been expecting the same time and attention that was given to the GameCube remake. Which they obviously fell short of with this Remaster.

Considering how the HD ports of RE:CV+4 were handled, I don't see how anyone could expect much more of this. Especially, if the game is going to be priced similarly to them. I'm personally perfectly fine with a port of any kind, as it means I finally get to play the game without buying another system. Would it be great, if it looked like the promotional pic of the hall? Definitely, but I don't think that's a realistic wish.

Menome

Capcom should remove loading time in this game otherwise i will vomit.

I'm sure there's a couple of scares built upon you thinking there's going to be a loading screen for doors. Taking them out would ruin that.

The one I remember most was in the 'first zombie' corridor leading up to the piano room. The door on the left-hand side had functioned like a normal door all game, then in the latter part of the game you walk up the corridor and BAM a Hunter leaps through it.

Well the game will add those in realtime along with some lighting, fog effects and whatnot ;)

Capcom has touched some assets:

Original:

a3mcwk.jpg

Capcom's:

re_006_bmp_jpgcopy.jplziih.jpg

Mine (again in game it might be brighter, more like Capcom's screenshot, because the game might further process the image):

finalx7dyj.jpg

I can't compete with that! -> http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/86883

edit another one:

Original:

a5ru2p.jpg

Capcom's:

re_009_bmp_jpgcopy.jp6jlnu.jpg

Mine:

finaljjdoj.jpg

I come close and with NO crushed blacks! http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/86886

You should tweet these to Capcom.

BONKERS

6 years from 1996 to 2002, and they gave us that fantastic update, bringing one of their best classic games into a new generation with a bang. 12 years later - double the time - and we get some half-assed update shit like this.

Where's the ambition? Where's the pride?

;_;7 RIP PS2/GC-era Capcom.

EXACTLY.

They couldn't be assed to simply spend a little time and a little more money to remake all of the Pre-rendered Assets by eye if the original source files aren't available.(Which if they were, there's absolutely 0 reason they couldn't re-render them. It's freakin 3D models FFS)

And all the things they are changing here and there are just clashing completely against one another. (Not to mention Crushed blacks and overly contrasty, too much compared to the likes of Code Veronica HD)
It's a severe injustice to this masterpiece.
12+ years and this is what we get?

To top it off, if it doesn't sell well (on every brand of platform it didn't originate from), we may be looking at another bizarre moment of Capcom stupidity?

Pourquoi!

1) It would be a $60 game.

2) A Resident Evil Remake in 2014 would probably be an over-the-shoulder action game like RE6. Even back in 2002 enough people were willing to pay full price for a game with pre-rendered backgrounds and tank controls. No publisher in 2014 would greenlight a full retail game like that.

This IS NOT what people like me are talking about. All we are asking is that they put proper effort and not a re-imagined reboot hunk of shit.

We just want them to put PROPER effort and money in to "REmastering" this masterpiece.

FFS, i'd even pay an extra 10-20$ for proper higher resolution assets and not amateurish upscales.

At the very least, with an ACTUAL budget and some EFFORT, there's no reason why skilled 3D modelers could not remake it by eye.
Sure, it'd cost more money and take more time. But fuck, who cares about QUALITY right?

When you call something "Remastered" ....

FFS

2) The way lighting and materials work changed a lot in the past 12 years, so even if they managed to open the files it's possible they won't produce the same renders and would require tweaking that pushes this from a "remaster" budget into something else.

Yet they somehow managed to add new lighting and shading to the old stuff and other things? (Bloom only in specific areas, new animated objects in some places? New models? New lighting model for 3D models? Simulated HDR only on certain high end aspects like lights?, Adding in a new layer of Fog? Somehow removing old pre-rendered assets entirely and replacing them?etc)

Somehow they can make this Compared to this and this

The scenes are not the same. They are lit differently.

Considering how the HD ports of RE:CV+4 were handled, I don't see how anyone could expect much more of this. Especially, if the game is going to be priced similarly to them. I'm personally perfectly fine with a port of any kind, as it means I finally get to play the game without buying another system. Would it be great, if it looked like the promotional pic of the hall? Definitely, but I don't think that's a realistic wish.

Have you played CVX:HD ? They did a fantastic job with that, new dynamic lighting, new dynamic shadows, re-drawn 2D assets,etc. It shits all over vanilla RE4:HD.

RE4:UHDE on the other hand is a huge step above regular RE4:HD for the most part.

Mr_Zombie

EXACTLY.

They couldn't be assed to simply spend a little time and a little more money to remake all of the Pre-rendered Assets by eye if the original source files aren't available.(Which if they were, there's absolutely 0 reason they couldn't re-render them. It's freakin 3D models FFS)

Remaking all backgrounds (and camera angles, and background layers) by eye? Yeah, I don't think so. It would require less time and effort to make all new (different) backgrounds than trying to recreate them and adjusting so they would look and act the same as the original ones.

Yet they somehow managed to add new lighting and shading to the old stuff and other things? (Bloom only in specific areas, new animated objects in some places? New models? New lighting model for 3D models? Simulated HDR only on certain high end aspects like lights?, Adding in a new layer of Fog? Somehow removing old pre-rendered assets entirely and replacing them?etc)

Porting the game to a new engine (they did this with RECV HD and probably doing this with REmake) allows you to easily add effects and improve lighting, yes. You don't even really need to port the game to a new engine: just look what people manage to do with SweetFX and/or ENBSeries on PC without even touching original games.

Modifying pre-rendered background also isn't that hard since they are just images so it's simply photoshoping. Increasing the resolution/improving quality of those images, though, is a way different thing.

Hahaha wow. We actually get one of the best games made instantly replayable by removing it from a platform that is no longer sustained (excluding emulation) and there's people bitching it's not updated enough. Here I was thinking this release would never come at all...

Buying and preloading day fucking one.

Maybe if they waited as long as Homeworld people would be more receptive.

Grief.exe

Hahaha wow. We actually get one of the best games made instantly replayable by removing it from a platform that is no longer sustained (excluding emulation) and there's people bitching it's not updated enough. Here I was thinking this release would never come at all...

Buying and preloading day fucking one.

Maybe if they waited as long as Homeworld people would be more receptive.

Gearbox didn't really need to touch Homeworld up all that much as everything is full 3D assets, but they went the extra mile.

Is that the one for PC? I haven't tried it yet but have been meaning to buy it.

Yes.

Grief.exe

If this is a straight port, then I really don't see how this would take until 2015 to release on current-gen and PC.

It is possible that Capcom had been working on the MT Framework port for last-gen for awhile, then will switch over to the current-gen and PC version afterwards.

Best case scenario, Capcom is working on new modeling for the 2015 release.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If this is a straight port, then I really don't see how this would take until 2015 to release on current-gen and PC.

It is possible that Capcom had been working on the MT Framework port for last-gen for awhile, then will switch over to the current-gen and PC version afterwards.

Best case scenario, Capcom is working on new modeling for the 2015 release.

Its releasing in Japan in just 3 months from now, the US/EU release is in 2015 for .. reasons... i guess.

the voice acting will be in english, but i hope the JP version (PS3 retail, looking at you) has options for English text too.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Still playing this game. Still totally fuckin cool.

I was in a hallway that had two
crimson heads
. I was able to use a tazer to kill the first one and not knowing where the other one was, I ran into a door to reset the hall.

I gathered some resolve, equipped the shotgun, and hid around a corner.

I waited for what had to be at least 30 seconds as I heard the
crimson heads
feet sprinting and their eerie growl. My heart actually started racing with anticipation.

I see them turn the corner, I'm aiming up and fire, and
their head explodes as they collapse to the floor.

I actually shouted at the TV with excitement and did like 8 alternating fist pumps.

That moment and timing was so incredibly tense, it felt amazing.

Still playing this game. Still totally fuckin cool.

I was in a hallway that had two
crimson heads
. I was able to use a tazer to kill the first one and not knowing where the other one was, I ran into a door to reset the hall.

I gathered some resolve, equipped the shotgun, and hid around a corner.

I waited for what had to be at least 30 seconds as I heard the
crimson heads
feet sprinting and their eerie growl. My heart actually started racing with anticipation.

I see them turn the corner, I'm aiming up and fire, and
their head explodes as they collapse to the floor.

I actually shouted at the TV with excitement and did like 8 alternating fist pumps.

That moment and timing was so incredibly tense, it felt amazing.

Really hoping The Evil Within captures some of that horror charm.

Seik

Banned
Its releasing in Japan in just 3 months from now, the US/EU release is in 2015 for .. reasons... i guess.

the voice acting will be in english, but i hope the JP version (PS3 retail, looking at you) has options for English text too.

Well, Revival Selection did have English VA for both RE:CV and RE4, but all the writings were in Japanese. I'm expecting the same for REmaster, tbh. Though I know the game by heart, so it's no big deal in my case.

Grief.exe

That's the last-gen version, right?

Current-gen/PC isn't until 2015

Lumyst

crimson head

Hah! I actually did not save before the first encounter with
Lisa Trevor
and as soon as I saw it, I turned off the Gamecube and ran far away from the TV, and my brother had to do everything from the snake fight onwards (was 11 at the time). Wonder if there were other kids like me who heard of the RE series before and thought "Okay, I'll check this out now it's on my Nintendo," played it, and went "nope" to the series after being scared away :p

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
From the Steam page

Graphics
  • More detailed graphics that retain the horror.
  • The environments come alive with detail thanks to resolution upgrades and non-static 3D models.
  • Post-processing effects like Bloom filters, which were not easy to do at the time of the original release, have been added to make the HD graphics even more realistic.
  • High-Resolution Environments - We've increased the resolution of the background environments by recreating them with a mix of high-res static images, plus animated 3D models.

That wording seems interesting.

Taruranto

PC and PS3 too? Neat, I wanted to replay it recently but I'll wait for this version then if it doesn't come out too late. To configure the Dolphin is always a bit of a pain.

Honestly, It seems unlikely to me that Capcom lost the original files. So I am still hoping we will get a proper remaster.

Why, exactly? There have been plenty of well known cases of Japanese devs just junking out assets after a game releases. The Silent Hill HD Collection was such a mess because Konami didn't keep the master files for those two games and they had to be basically rebuilt from whatever beta code they were able to find.

I'm certain there are well known cases of Sega and Capcom doing this too...

Ugh i love the REmake so much. I was like "FINALLLLLY!!!" I play it on my gamecube once a year all the way through. The emotions it gives me while playing it are unreal. I have a feeling they will get those backgrounds worked out, and they will look great. Going to be playing this on a 4k tv. Now i don't have to dig out my gamecube when i get the urge to play.

Unai

Graphics
More detailed graphics that retain the horror.
The environments come alive with detail thanks to resolution upgrades and non-static 3D models.
Post-processing effects like Bloom filters, which were not easy to do at the time of the original release, have been added to make the HD graphics even more realistic.
High-Resolution Environments - We've increased the resolution of the background environments by recreating them with a mix of high-res static images, plus animated 3D models

Interesting!

Top Bottom