• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

Sectus

I care. It's not a deal breaker by any stretch and 60fps definitely has a much larger impact on many other games, but it would still be nice.

-MD-

I was just thinking the same thing.

image.php

but it would still be nice.

Oh for sure, I'd take it I'm just not gonna worry about it.

gelf

Does anyone that's actually played REmake care if it's 60fps or not? This is one of those games where I honestly couldn't give a shit and I'm a performance snob.

Its so far from being a twitch shooter that it barely matters at all. Its a slow paced adventure game.

Sectus

Digging through files in REmake gives some hints they would difficulty re-rendering backgrounds. There's at least 2 graphics tools they used during development which are discontinued now. So unless they still have the software from 10 years ago (kinda unlikely), I think they'd struggle with some of the file formats and to get batch operations working on the 1400+ backgrounds for the game.

I'm starting to lean more towards the theory that they still have all the assets from 2002, but there's just too much work involved in re-rendering the backgrounds.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does anyone that's actually played REmake care if it's 60fps or not? This is one of those games where I honestly couldn't give a shit and I'm a performance snob.

Nope, its a really slow paced game as it is ..

however they SHOULD allow skipping door animations regardless.

Yeah I don't mind at all, especially since I played it at 15-20fps and still loved it. 30fps is gonna feel like a godsend to me.

mattp

was the original REmake 30fps? if so, i don't see how this could possibly run at 60fps and not looking horrible because the pre-rendered backgrounds that had looping animation would be running at 30fps
it would look stuttery if your 3d model character was moving across it at 60fps

scitek

At this point, I'd love it if someone upscaled the backgrounds like we're seeing in this thread, and turned them into a texture pack of sorts for use in Dolphin. :p

I played and love the game at 30fps. However, 60fps is always a sweet bonus. Just hoping is all.

If it came down to it I'd rather someone strip GFWL from 5 and port the Gold Edition content over.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Most of the problems with RE4 UHD came from the 60fps mode: slow-downs and problems with in-game logic (enemies acting weird, floating weapons, chickens laying too many eggs, not all animations being able to be converted to 60fps). When I played the game I was using the beta version of the last patch and the problems (mainly slow-downs) were still there. :/

Given how you have a mix of 2D and 3D animated graphics here I don't think converting REmake to 60fps would be any easier and less problematic than RE4, which was a fully 3D game.

Slowdown was due to hardware being insufficient to run the game i believe.

At this point, I'd love it if someone upscaled the backgrounds like we're seeing in this thread, and turned them into a texture pack of sorts for use in Dolphin. :p

I already started doing that, but it causes a very small stutter on every room transition. Its not a huge impact, but as you transition rooms a lot it gets sort of grating.

scitek

Slowdown was due to hardware being insufficient to run the game i believe.

I already started doing that, but it causes a very small stutter on every room transition. Its not a huge impact, but as you transition rooms a lot it gets sort of grating.

:O awesome to hear. I'll take what I can get.

Unai

It's not a deal breaker, but yeah, I do care about it. Smothness would make the game even better.

was the original REmake 30fps? if so, i don't see how this could possibly run at 60fps and not looking horrible because the pre-rendered backgrounds that had looping animation would be running at 30fps
it would look stuttery if your 3d model character was moving across it at 60fps

They said they are recreating the backgrounds.

Hm. Unless the released screens are unfinished, they are most definitely not recreating the backgrounds.

But, they DID recreate some assets of the 'backgrounds' like plants or anything you actually have to walk around.. and in marketing speak, you could totally say "recreated backgrounds" when talking about changing the plants so they don't look horrible when you walk between them and the backdrop.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys I just realised! This being on PC means one thing. Some brave person is going to extract the backgrounds from the Gamecube release and touch them up in a way Capcom never could. Or at the very least use some less offensive way of upscaling, if the PC port is good, it'll be the definite edition over Dolphin regardless
after mods, of course

Guys I just realised! This being on PC means one thing. Some brave person is going to extract the backgrounds from the Gamecube release and touch them up in a way Capcom never could. Or at the very least use some less offensive way of upscaling, if the PC port is good, it'll be the definite edition over Dolphin regardless
after mods, of course

Actually it means two things. The first as you mentioned, the second that it will be available to play for decades after current gen withers away.

mattp

They said they are recreating the backgrounds.

which is complete BS because the samples they have already released are just scaled up versions of the originals
why would they even need to implement that weird zoomed in pan and scan mode for 16x9 TVs if they were recreating the backgrounds from scratch?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
They've explicitly said they're recreating the backgrounds. They could be lying, I guess.

They've said

High-Resolution Environments - We've increased the resolution of the background environments by recreating them with a mix of high-res static images, plus animated 3D models.

I think that wording still allows the possibility of them scaling the original low-res backgrounds and creating improvements on top of that.

It's not uncommon for PR speak to use any wording loophole they can, so unless it's stated more explicitly it's hard to interpret it the way you are. On top of that, the examples they've given so far clearly aren't rendered at higher res. I don't think that means that they absolutely won't be, just that we need some more solid evidence of it first.

which is complete BS because the samples they have already released are just scaled up versions of the originals
why would they even need to implement that weird zoomed in pan and scan mode for 16x9 TVs if they were recreating the backgrounds from scratch?

Even if they do rerender the backgrounds they would still need to do pan and scan as the camera angles weren't intended to be viewed 16:9 so you'd probably get some pretty weird positioning of the angles.

after mods, of course

The underlined is all you can expect really.

From what I've seen from Capcom's screenshots and my own short tests (...and of course I could be wrong...), Capcom extracted "all" the detail that could be extracted from the original low res backgrounds using the tools and algorithms that are publicly available.

There are of course highly experimental algorithms that promise to do wonders but are often highly inefficient and most importantly of course they are not publicly available anyway! And I don't expect Capcom to build their own R&D team to research new ways to upscale CG images.. Not for this game anyway.

But what can be done is to not apply some of their contrast boosting "enhancements".

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It'd be awesome if they added 3D capability to the PS4/XBO versions.

This game is perfect for that feature.

You can play the game in 3D using Dolphin but as angular graphics detailed, because the backgrounds are rendered in 2D the only thing that has depth are stuff like your character, zombies, and rendered objects.

Here's an example shot.

3d_example_by_aloo81-d7vpcgd.jpg

Audette

You can play the game in 3D using Dolphin but as angular graphics detailed, because the backgrounds are rendered in 2D the only thing that has depth are stuff like your character, zombies, and rendered objects.

Here's an example shot.

Wow is that really in 3d? wouldn't Jill be sticking way way way out, she is in totally different spots.

If officially implemented, I figure it would be a subtle effect. I have to assume they wouldn't ever do this because It would really break the illusion of objects designed to blend with the backgrounds. The original remake did that really well, lots of lighting helped it blend together. Infinitely better than the old ps1 games haha

Mr_Zombie

They've explicitly said they're recreating the backgrounds. They could be lying, I guess.

You know, never believe the PR talk, including features listed on a product description.

This was listed in RE4 UHD description:
  • A complete visual overhaul has been performed to bring this revered title to the highest graphical quality ever.
  • Fully optimized for the wide screen, texts have been sharpened and textures have been upgraded on characters, backgrounds and in-game objects.

There was no "complete visual overhaul" done. In fact, few effects were missing (at least in the first release, some of them were later fixed in patches) when compared to the GameCube/Wii edition. And only a couple of textures were upgraded.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Wow is that really in 3d? wouldn't Jill be sticking way way way out, she is in totally different spots.

If officially implemented, I figure it would be a subtle effect. I have to assume they wouldn't ever do this because It would really break the illusion of objects designed to blend with the backgrounds. The original remake did that really well, lots of lighting helped it blend together. Infinitely better than the old ps1 games haha

The issue is that because it is 2D backgrounds, everything that is pre-rendered sits at screen depth. So 3D objects will just walk "behind" the background depth wise, but still appear in front of it which causes a lot of discomfort.

You know, never believe the PR talk, including features listed on a product description.

This was listed in RE4 UHD description:

There was no "complete visual overhaul" done. In fact, few effects were missing (at least in the first release, some of them were later fixed in patches) when compared to the GameCube/Wii edition. And only a couple of textures were upgraded.

This is a good example of what I mean. By the literal definition of what they're saying they are not lying, but in practice it's not exactly what one would expect either.

Unless those sample screens are just placeholder screens.

Sectus

Unless those sample screens are just placeholder screens.

That doesn't make much sense. If they were to recreate the backgrounds at 16:9, that pan and scan feature would not be needed at all. Besides, Capcom rarely shows placeholder assets, and it's extremely unlikely they have any placeholder assets in the game when it's just a few months away.

The PR talk is just PR talk. They're trying to make it sound as good as possible.

If they were really re-rendering backgrounds, you would think they would tell the people responsible "hey guys please finish those 5 backgrounds first because we are going to use them for promotional screenshots" instead of "nah, for now we'll just grab some quick upscales to advertise the game, we know you'll get to properly redo them later, no need to hurry!"

Therefore the chance of actually doing re-rendering is 0%.

I care that at the VERY LEAST the door opening animations are in 60 fps.

Because they are in the original.

Pejo

Gold Member

Here's an example shot.

Holy crap I used the cross eye method to check this out on the thumbnail version, really jarring. Super duper easy to see what you can interact with in the room though, if it wasn't obvious enough already.

The issue is that because it is 2D backgrounds, everything that is pre-rendered sits at screen depth. So 3D objects will just walk "behind" the background depth wise, but still appear in front of it which causes a lot of discomfort.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the backgrounds all have per pixel depth values. You'd need to fill in the blank spaces, but you could actually make these games 3D using the same technique that the Crysis games and the Batman Arkham games on consoles use.

You can find places where you can clip into the backgrounds in REmake as I recall. Even on video backgrounds.

As I said before upscaling to ~720p is ok, upscaling to 1080p reveals there's not enough detail to be enlarged.. It won't look as good.

Here are some upscale experiments:

Original:

av7liy.jpg

Upscales:

n0sssa.jpg

brasak.jpg

gepysiz.jpg

bc4js8y.jpg

s44sdd.jpg

I think I actually might be liking the first one the best. It has the less detail, but it also hides the fact there's so much detail missing.

If you go with a sharp upscale like the latter ones, you'll need something like a somewhat strong noise/grain filter to hide the fact there's so much detail missing.

edit: to clarify:

For ~720p I think I would upscale using a sharp method to expose as much detail possible.
For ~1080p - where the original detail is just not enough - I would upscale with the least sharp method to hide the fact there are areas with so little details. It works best for my brain!

All this RE talk has got me hyped.
I've never played REmake before so hopefully I should be in for a treat.
2014-08-190638561.jpg

All brand new and sealed!

Made sure to get REmake and Zero because well...there isn't going to be a WiiU version
Yet...
. Darkside Chronicles is just a nice bonus.
Super thanks and shout out to fellow Gaffer 'That Brown Guy' for helping getting it shipped all the way to India!

finley83

Banned
2014-08-190638561.jpg

Made sure to get REmake and Zero because well...there isn't going to be a WiiU version
Yet...
Super thanks and shout out to fellow Gaffer 'That Brown Guy' for helping getting it shipped all the way to India!

Nice job! Make sure you play REmake first!

Neff

2014-08-190638561.jpg

Yet...

You did good.

And a friendly reminder:

For ~720p I think I would upscale using a sharp method to expose as much detail possible.
For ~1080p - where the original detail is just not enough - I would upscale with the least sharp method to hide the fact there are areas with so little details. It works best for my brain!
I agree I mean at this point you have to blur it in some way to hide the poverty of the "reconstruction". I remember I used NNEDI3 to upscale from I think 256x240 to 1080p (720p would have been enough but more means more Youtube bitrate) then blurred the shit out of it.

Doesn't work too bad I think :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUtaxyA6W2o&t=3m21s&hd=1

synce

Hah, I knew I wasn't imagining things. Playing Wii games in widescreen always made them look like shit. Wii version of REmake will always be the definitive one though. No disc swap, no crushed blacks or amateurish filters, and you can play on PC with Dolphin

Sectus

The background re-render topic might be discussed to death at this point, but I wanna link to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzAGSC9Wor4

That pachislot machine is only 5 years old. And at 1:14 you can recognize the same floor textures as in REmake, so I'm thinking these assets were not lost.

Also, that trailer is hilariously hilarious and I'm still baffled Capcom put so much money into a pachislot machine, but I guess it's a big deal in Japan.

Top Bottom