• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

gdt

Any update in dates for PC/PS4?

Also reeeeallly considering just picking up RE0 Wii just cause. I should wait in case they remake that too.

I guess we will have to wait till TGS next month for the first gameplay trailer....

:(

Damn I'm so obsessed with this game its ridicules how I find it my most anticipated close release game.

Any update in dates for PC/PS4?
Early 2015 is all what we are getting now... it's going to be mostly January.

Fady K

While it will be the sad truth, given this will be digital only, those two games also had massive marketing campaigns behind them that dwarf most AAA mainstream efforts.

If REmake had that much push behind it, I wouldn't be surprised if it became a best seller in the franchise.

I'm getting used to the cleaner look, but I'll prefer the dusty look that implied musty smells.

If only Capcom promotes this heavily. They really should; it is one of their flagship series and this is one of the best entries by far. (My personal favorite).

I guess we will have to wait till TGS next month for the first gameplay trailer....

:(

Damn I'm so obsessed with this game its ridicules how I find it my most anticipated close release game.

Early 2015 is all what we are getting now... it's going to be mostly January.

With no games around nowadays would be perfect

So has been explained why a REmake remaster was not released sooner?

Testing the water for the rumoured moveback to survival horror in Resident Evil 7/well known & well regarded game which raises the profile of the series and leaves a positive mindset about the series for the run up to RE7 are my guesses.

Mr_Zombie

So has been explained why a REmake remaster was not released sooner?

A cynic in me says that they simply don't have anything RE related to release now, so they might as well reach for a game from 12 years ago. Last released RE game was Revelations HD - in May 2013. And since we haven't even received a teaser of RE7, not to mention a release date, they have to fill the gap with something.

Grief.exe

I didn't realize the metacritic for RE6 was so low, it's in the mid 60's.

I haven't played the game yet, I found RE:R to be mediocre overall, though I do enjoy a deep combat system. Apparently, you have to dig fairly deep to discover the mechanics in RE6.

Blueblur1

edit another one:

Original:

a5ru2p.jpg

Capcom's:

re_009_bmp_jpgcopy.jp6jlnu.jpg

Mine:

finaljjdoj.jpg

I come close and with NO crushed blacks! http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/86886

That looks pretty damn good.

I haven't played the game yet, I found RE:R to be mediocre overall, though I do enjoy a deep combat system. Apparently, you have to dig fairly deep to discover the mechanics in RE6.

Keep in mind that the score includes the "huge franchise boost" unique to video game journalism.

Sectus

I don't think you have to dig very deep, you just have to experiment at all. A big problem with the game is that the US version has no manual whatsoever, and there's no tutorial in the game teaching you the mechanics (it only mentions super basic stuff, like how to fire a gun or use herbs).

It is kinda typical of Japanese game design where they expect the player to experiment and learn the mechanics, but they should have had something. I hear about people who played through the entire game not knowing you can dodge at all, and that's a basic mechanic in the game.

Hypron

I don't think you have to dig very deep, you just have to experiment at all. A big problem with the game is that the US version has no manual whatsoever, and there's no tutorial in the game teaching you the mechanics (it only mentions super basic stuff, like how to fire a gun or use herbs).

It is kinda typical of Japanese game design where they expect the player to experiment and learn the mechanics, but they should have had something. I hear about people who played through the entire game not knowing you can dodge at all, and that's a basic mechanic in the game.

Yeah. It's got plenty of depth but it's not hard to grasp the basics of the whole moveset. Utilizing everything perfectly will take some time though, but it's doesn't take that long to actually become quite proefficient at the game.

Tbh, I don't even know how people can miss stuff like being able to dodge, especially when playing on a pad. You've got what, 10 or so buttons? Not even bothering to test what they all do is just ridiculous.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

To be fair to that, MetaCritic is a look at a game from a point in time. To my understandinf from what I've read (I haven't played it personally), the game has been improved since launch and the more glaring issues have been pretty well glazed over.

Jinroh

No, the core issues are not fixable. The core gameplay itself is seriously flawed, it's nothing to do with the engine or any other technical issues.

-MD-

To be fair to that, MetaCritic is a look at a game from a point in time. To my understandinf from what I've read (I haven't played it personally), the game has been improved since launch and the more glaring issues have been pretty well glazed over.

The only way they could fix that game's glaring issues is to scrap it and make a completely different game.

No, the core issues are not fixable. The core gameplay itself is seriously flawed, it's nothing to do with the engine or any other technical issues.

^

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm playing through RE5 (alongside REmake on my own) right now with my dad and I've been having a really fantastic time with it.

If RE6 is anything like RE5 co-op, I have a hard time believing it's as bad as many classic RE fans say it to be.

But again, I haven't played it so I really don't know for certain. I do know many people who aren't RE5 fans also aren't RE6 fans, so I imagine you can understand my hesitance to accept those thoughts outright.

finley83

Banned
I'm playing through RE5 (alongside REmake on my own) right now with my dad and I've been having a really fantastic time with it.

If RE6 is anything like RE5 co-op, I have a hard time believing it's as bad as many classic RE fans say it to be.

But again, I haven't played it so I really don't know for certain. I do know many people who aren't RE5 fans also aren't RE6 fans, so I imagine you can understand my hesitance to accept those thoughts outright.

The problem with RE6 is that it has really bad level design. It also doesn't feel like an RE game at all - even RE5 did despite being really different to the others.

it's kinda telling when you see a lot of people saying re6 is a gears of war clone
there's no need for cover at all in the game and it's really poorly done in this one (and i already consider cover based third person shooters horrible in the first place)

RE5 is a MUCH better co-op game (and I would argue, much better game in general) than 6. I played through both with the same friend and we both loved 5 and thought 6 was garbage.

Jawmuncher

I'm more curious if Action RE and Survival Horror RE can actually coexist as separate entities.
Not half attempts like Revelations.

fart town usa

Gold Member
RE6 makes RE5 look like the best game of all time.

Ha, it really does.

I thought, "man, SURELY re6 can't be worse than re5..." I got re6 opening night and I thought, "hot damn, re5 is actually a really well designed game...."

lol.

However, I love re6 for being such an absolute shit show. It's so funny playing coop and just kicking the shit out of everything and spamming the bizarre communication system in the game, dat thumbs up....

what a mess of a game.

Blueblur1

Wait what? You can dodge? lol I got like 2 chapters in and I didnt know.

Rojo

Keep in mind that the score includes the "huge franchise boost" unique to video game journalism.

Nah that didn't work in this case once you hit a dud its fair game to talk shit if it doesn't return to its roots. Id say if this was RE5 the score would be higher.

Wait what? You can dodge? lol I got like 2 chapters in and I didnt know.

Alot more then that actually you can duck, power slide, power slide into a quick 180 to shoot guys behind you. Dive backwards, Power slide stun enemy leading to a melee attack and a melee finisher. Recharge you stamina much faster by pressing your back to any surface including the floor and remaining still.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Was this pointed out? Japanese site has some info for versions at the bottom and for Steam it says "more information at a later date":
http://www.capcom.co.jp/biohd/ja/index.html

60fps?

I expect it to be 30fps supported, 60fps option available but unsupported. something like DR3. I really hope the 60fps option is available.

I feel like if I had some more technical know how, it would be possible to make REmake run at 60fps on Dolphin, seeing as the game runs 30 and the door animations run 60. I think there could be a way to toggle it so that in game it runs 60. Whether that means a smooth 60, or a double speed 60 I don't know but I think it would be worth trying.

I'm not sure where to start though. I think cheat engine would be a worthwhile bet.

I expect it to be 30fps supported, 60fps option available but unsupported. something like DR3. I really hope the 60fps option is available.

I feel like if I had some more technical know how, it would be possible to make REmake run at 60fps on Dolphin, seeing as the game runs 30 and the door animations run 60. I think there could be a way to toggle it so that in game it runs 60. Whether that means a smooth 60, or a double speed 60 I don't know but I think it would be worth trying.

I'm not sure where to start though. I think cheat engine would be a worthwhile bet.

Wasn't RE4 coded at 30 as well? QLOC had to clean that up, right? I would think that they're most likely developing this port.

Mr_Zombie

Wasn't RE4 coded at 30 as well? QLOC had to clean that up, right? I would think that they're most likely developing this port.

Most of the problems with RE4 UHD came from the 60fps mode: slow-downs and problems with in-game logic (enemies acting weird, floating weapons, chickens laying too many eggs, not all animations being able to be converted to 60fps). When I played the game I was using the beta version of the last patch and the problems (mainly slow-downs) were still there. :/

Given how you have a mix of 2D and 3D animated graphics here I don't think converting REmake to 60fps would be any easier and less problematic than RE4, which was a fully 3D game.

synce

Well the game will add those in realtime along with some lighting, fog effects and whatnot ;)

Capcom has touched some assets:

Original:

a3mcwk.jpg

Capcom's:

re_006_bmp_jpgcopy.jplziih.jpg

Mine (again in game it might be brighter, more like Capcom's screenshot, because the game might further process the image):

finalx7dyj.jpg

I can't compete with that! -> http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/86883

edit another one:

Original:

a5ru2p.jpg

Capcom's:

re_009_bmp_jpgcopy.jp6jlnu.jpg

Mine:

finaljjdoj.jpg

I come close and with NO crushed blacks! http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/86886

Good job but your version is missing that "pop!"
At least that's what I imagine some clueless exec saying.

Hypron

I never had much trouble with it. Certain parts of Professional were actually easier with an AI partner.

Yeah Sheva was all right. Apart form the fight against
Wesker and Jill
. Having to spam the "follow me" command to keep her from getting killed in half a second is a real pain in the ass. Luckily you can end the fight really quickly with a rocket launcher.

Sectus

I don't think this is QLOC. QLOC seems to focus on localization and porting games to PC. The fact it's being ported to 5 platforms and getting major upgrades to rendering makes me think QLOC isn't working on this.

If rumours about RE5 steamworks are true, I'm guessing that's one of the projects QLOC is working on right now.

Most of the problems with RE4 UHD came from the 60fps mode: slow-downs and problems with in-game logic (enemies acting weird, floating weapons, chickens laying too many eggs, not all animations being able to be converted to 60fps). When I played the game I was using the beta version of the last patch and the problems (mainly slow-downs) were still there. :/

Given how you have a mix of 2D and 3D animated graphics here I don't think converting REmake to 60fps would be any easier and less problematic than RE4, which was a fully 3D game.

I'd think converting REmake to 60fps would be easier than RE4 because it's a simplier game from a technical standpoint. There seems to be far less systems in REmake than RE4. The backgrounds would be a very difficult problem though. But if they are re-doing many of the elements which animate (based on screenshots, it looks they're re-doing all the moving grass and plants), they could do the new animations at 60fps.

-MD-

Does anyone that's actually played REmake care if it's 60fps or not? This is one of those games where I honestly couldn't give a shit and I'm a performance snob.

Top Bottom