• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - News and Info Thread

Nemesis_

Zenith said:
that wasn't a leak, just a guess.
It wasn't a leak. The member who made it up was a member in the RE community who has caused a lot of problems and made up a lot of shit.

In addition, the "leak" had lists with names for chapters. Some of the Live E3 2009 Gamespot videos showed the menus for the game and there weren't any similar names for the chapters.

KAOz

Short bus special
I can't unsee the stupid face in the US boxart. :(

125oyuu.jpg

2vb2zo4.jpg

The box art is looking good for both territories. My ideal would be the graphic quality of the PAL cover with the darkness of the NA version, but both stand up pretty well individually.

Nemesis556 said:
Shiggy said:
When is it coming out? Still this year?
Yes. Winter.
Pretty sure it was bumped to 2010. I actually think it's good news, because I'd like to see the camera work ironed out, and the more breathing room Dead Space: Extraction has before having to compete with RE the better.

Zenith

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
It wasn't a leak. The member who made it up was a member in the RE community who has caused a lot of problems and made up a lot of shit.

Exactly, not a leak. A guess.

Nemesis_

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Pretty sure it was bumped to 2010. I actually think it's good news, because I'd like to see the camera work ironed out, and the more breathing room Dead Space: Extraction has before having to compete with RE the better.

CAPCOM TAKES GAMERS ACROSS TO THE DARKSIDE….
This Winter the undead will rise again in Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles!

Exclusively on the Wii, Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles captures the excitement of the zombie genre by bringing together new and classic storylines with fan favourite characters, including Leon S. Kennedy and Claire Redfield.

Capcom Europe has just released the chilling new box art which features Leon and Claire ready to fight the zombies that await them around every corner. Venture over to the Capcom Europe Press Site at your own peril to check out the pack art www.capcomeuro-press.com

Playable as a single-player or two-player cooperative on-rails arcade shooter, Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles features a more intense horror experience than its predecessor, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, which is one of the top-selling adult rated Wii games. With classic scenarios and new gameplay re-envisioned on the Wii, it is shaping up as the best-looking and action-packed game for the system this Winter!

Capcom Europe PR Team

Sent to me on the 28th.

Exactly, not a leak. A guess.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like an asshole if I did, I apologise. >_>

Yasuhiro Seto said:
Sound Recording Takes Shape

Most of the Resident Evil series is set in America, so the characters speak English. Of course this means that we have to record each character’s dialogue in English.

We have Japanese voice actors record the dialogue of games which are in Japanese, and there was even a time when development staff recorded the voices for games. That was fine back then, but now as every aspect of our games becomes higher quality, and as we try to appeal to a more global audience, the quality of in-game voice must increase as well.

The voice for the Resident Evil series has been praised as exceptional, and that is due in large part to holding the voice recording sessions in America. We recorded the voice for Darkside Chronicles in America as well.

We broke the recording up into a number of sessions. I went to one such session in Los Angeles in March.

Los Angeles has plenty of great weather in March, but I was closed up in the studio all day and couldn’t enjoy it at all. Also, we were trying to have the actors that worked on the older games work on Darkside as much as possible, so the actor/actress was often connected to our studio remotely to do their recordings. The role of Claire was played by Alyson Court and Ada Wong’s voice was provided by Sally Cahill. These actresses are both based in Canada, so they weren’t actually with us while we recorded. This technology is very advanced, and is very commonplace in the industry right now, but there are still drops in the connection, and since the actor/actress isn’t there in the room with you, it can be frustrating at times.

In spite of those issues, the studio was great because there was free coffee, donuts, fruit and salad. You could have as much as you wanted! It was always fun to munch on these snacks when waiting for a tech problem to get sorted out, or just while taking a break.

We worked with JUST CAUSE for the voice recording of this game. They are excellent at what they do in terms of voice recording and motion capture, and did great work on Resident Evil 5 in both of those areas. JUST CAUSE has a great sense of quality and a passion for games. They are a great partner to Capcom. I know that we will be able to reach our high goals for quality working with them.

The theme of the voice recording was “presence”.
We learned an important lesson about voice during Umbrella Chronicles. We learned that voice is extremely effective when trying to build tension. In Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles the camera advances automatically, so we are able to sync a dramatic conversation between characters that matches what’s happening. You couldn’t have such a fluid and natural conversation happening if you were controlling the characters movement directly.

We felt we had to set the bar for voice very high on this game, but just saying you want to have powerful voice acting that conveys a sense of presence is much easier than executing it. First, we create a Japanese script that flows naturally, correcting, editing and trying different things as we go. The next step is the very difficult task of translating the script. All of the voice is recorded in English, so special care and attention needs to be paid to the translation process. We cannot translate the script literally. Sometimes, completely different expressions need to be used in English. For example, there is the line “Mushikera!” (“You worm!”) in the Japanese script, however, there is no good phrase that means “You worm!” in English. This line is rather important in the scenario, so it had to be translated very carefully. In the end we couldn’t find something that got the meaning across exactly, so we settled on “You rat!” for the translation.

There were a number of cases where the actors just couldn’t get a feel for the lines, and the presence which we were aiming for couldn’t be achieved. The first voice recording session didn’t go quite as well as I had hoped, so we took the time to hold some extra sessions to fix our mistakes. Through trial and error, the voice director and studio staff was able to more fully understand the meaning behind the brilliant words we had written. By giving examples of what kind of tension we were going for, and by providing videos which made the scenes and situations as easy to understand as possible, we were able to eliminate the problems. We were able to get all the voices, sighs, breathing, groans and whimpers that are necessary to conveying a realistic sense of presence.

This process has yielded voice for Darkside Chronicles which I feel is a cut above other game voices. I can’t wait for all of you to hear it! You can’t help but be pulled right in!

■ About Me
Recently the air plants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tillandsia) I’ve been keeping have been dying. I like air plants and carnivorous plants, so I’ve got a few of them in my house. Of course, Ivy is one of my favorite Resident Evil monsters. I also like the plant-based Ultraman bad guys.
She's-a-back! Good thing they got rid of that horrible person from UC (not that she's a terrible VA, but she was faking the Ada persona too much). Sally Cahill is the one and only for that role!

xfactor

Banned
You mean Sally Cahill wasn't the VA for Umbrella Chronicles? o_o?

And yah they're bringing back the old VAs for Darkside Chronicles, but not sure about Sherry ...

xfactor said:
You mean Sally Cahill wasn't the VA for Umbrella Chronicles? o_o?
No, Ada was voiced by an uncredited VA in UC. I thought that was very noticeable, actually. Here's Sally Cahill, for comparison's sake. The UC actress sounds younger and does not have that calm and coquettish vibe to her voice that Sally has.

xfactor said:
And yah they're bringing back the old VAs for Darkside Chronicles, but not sure about Sherry ...
Sherry will get another VA because Lisa Yamanaka didn't sound like her anymore, according to this preview here.

Bizzyb

Banned
Prime Blue said:
She's-a-back! Good thing they got rid of that horrible person from UC (not that she's a terrible VA, but she was faking the Ada persona too much). Sally Cahill is the one and only for that role!

We felt we had to set the bar for voice very high on this game, but just saying you want to have powerful voice acting that conveys a sense of presence is much easier than executing it. First, we create a Japanese script that flows naturally, correcting, editing and trying different things as we go. The next step is the very difficult task of translating the script. All of the voice is recorded in English, so special care and attention needs to be paid to the translation process. We cannot translate the script literally. Sometimes, completely different expressions need to be used in English. For example, there is the line “Mushikera!” (“You worm!”) in the Japanese script, however, there is no good phrase that means “You worm!” in English. This line is rather important in the scenario, so it had to be translated very carefully. In the end we couldn’t find something that got the meaning across exactly, so we settled on “You rat!” for the translation.

They should have gone with "You Bitch!" Or "Son of a bitch!".
Is Sally Cahill the original Ada Wong?

xfactor

Banned
Sally Cahill is the VA for Ada in RE2 and RE4.

I hope they will focus on the characters that haven't been appearing for quite a while, or those one-shot characters, for the later chapters.

I want to know what's up with Barry/Rebecca, and more on Sergie and Spencer (they are important figures in Umbrella hence deserves another appearance, despite Sergie being a rubbish character). Also, they can shine some light on Tricell (Excella etc), and even establish another new main enemy to replace Wesker.

Great to see Krauser returning of course :D

Sadist

Don't see that happening, the whole Spencer/Sergei/Tricell wish. I'd love two or maybe three little scenarios with Wesker. A final homage, if you will.

Sadist said:
I'd love two or maybe three little scenarios with Wesker. A final homage, if you will.
GOD no. I was so happy when they blew him to smithereens in RE5 and Kawata finally confirmed him dead.

xfactor said:
Great to see Krauser returning of course :D
That was fake information spread by a guy named beasleySOMERANDOMNUMBER. Still, I think he is right with his guess. It all just fits too well. While the English script made it seem like Leon was not around when Krauser supposedly died ("I died in a crash two years ago, is that what they told you?"), the Japanese knife fight implies the exact opposite:

K: Been a long time, Leon.
L: Krauser...
K: I should've died in the accident two years ago...is that what you wanted to say?
L: You're the one who kidnapped Ashley?
K: Indeed... As expected, me and you are two sides of one coin. Or so you'd think.
L: What's your objective?
K: I just want the sample Saddler raised.
L: So Ashley has nothing to do with it?
K: I did it to make Saddler trust me, an American.
L: Just for that, nothing more...
K: It was for Umbrella, too.
L: Umbrella...?
K: You bear no purpose to that end, so die!

I also think it's hilarious how they got the "Almost let it slip" line from that...
The coin remark makes it seem as if he's pretty confident, as if he thinks he's doing the right thing. I'd love to see some light shed on his and Wesker's relationship.

xfactor

Banned
Prime Blue said:
That was fake information spread by a guy named beasleySOMERANDOMNUMBER. Still, I think he is right with his guess. It all just fits too well. While the English script made it seem like Leon was not around when Krauser supposedly died ("I died in a crash two years ago, is that what they told you?"), the Japanese knife fight implies the exact opposite:

I am basing my belief on the hidden guy on the boxart, not by that fake rumor: that guy on the boxart must be Krauser. There's no one else who have that silhouette. Being featured on the boxart implies that he's related to one of the key characters in the game, and that he's someone whom we know.

I've heard enough stories to differentiate who's lying and who's not.

xfactor said:
I am basing my belief on the hidden guy on the boxart, not by that fake rumor: that guy on the boxart must be Krauser. There's no one else who have that silhouette. Being featured on the boxart implies that he's related to one of the key characters in the game, and that he's someone whom we know.

I've heard enough stories to differentiate who's lying and who's not.
You're right, the placement of the scars is another giveaway.

Shiggy

According to various retailers from different European countries this game will be released on November 25th.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Looks awesome.

But my biggest fear is that you won't be able to aim crosshair-less like SEGA's Wii on-rails/lightgun games.
That would bug me a lot and probably make me wait for a price-drop/just rent.

Shiggy said:
According to various retailers from different European countries this game will be released on November 25th.

Kinda bad timing in that case I think. Lots of other games coming out around then. This could get lost in the scuffle.

Shiggy said:

Fantastic :/

If Mass Effect was moved to get it away from the clutter, and mega sellers, why in the world would they release this game then? They are just asking for this game to get lost in the holiday rush...

bomb_jack said:
Err.. What other Wii games are coming out then?

I'm willing to bet that alot of the people who got RE:UC are multi-console owners who might have their sights set on other titles come November.

Zenith

Banned
JosM88 said:
Fantastic :/

If Mass Effect was moved to get it away from the clutter, and mega sellers, why in the world would they release this game then? They are just asking for this game to get lost in the holiday rush...

It's the Christmas run-up. You can't cancel all your games because you're afraid of a few heavy-hitters. May as well delay it permanently.

Zenith said:
It's the Christmas run-up. You can't cancel all your games because you're afraid of a few heavy-hitters. May as well delay it permanently.

I agree, but I think it is important to begin your work for a game of that type so that it lands before the holiday rush. I don't think it would a good idea to delay at this point anyway.

Still very sceptic about that November 25th release. It just seems like the game isn't that far into development yet. I'd rather have it come out in March 2010 with some extra scenarios.

Davey Cakes

Prime Blue said:
Still very sceptic about that November 25th release. It just seems like the game isn't that far into development yet. I'd rather have it come out in March 2010 with some extra scenarios.
I agree. Extra scenarios and polish (especially in concerns to the framerate) could do this game wonders. I don't see why it needs to be rushed to shelves.

Capcom took their damn time with RE5, so why not give Cavia some breathing room? The game is going to sell no matter what, anyway, because it's RE.

beje

Banned
Prime Blue said:
I'd rather have it come out in March 2010 with some extra scenarios.

I'd rather have it in March 2010 with a decent optimization instead of the "lololol let's fill this with bump mapping and enough bloom to make zombies look like they ate a lamp even if the game runs like shit" early "next-gen" approach

IGN has the gamescom trailer up. It is entirely comprised of prerendered cutscene footage and focuses on both the 2 and C:V scenarios.

2a95g8x.png

With that one covered, I guess the next reveal is one of the new scenarios.

Zenith

Banned
phwoar, check out that arse.

don't like the tinkerings done to the classic USFU vs Birkin cutscene though. Looks like Hunk on a solo with a TMP.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Zenith said:
phwoar, check out that arse.

don't like the tinkerings done to the classic USFU vs Birkin cutscene though. Looks like Hunk on a solo with a TMP.
Datass.jpg
Playable Hunk section perhaps?

Top Bottom