• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2: The Official Thread of Mankind's Last Stand

tanod

when is my burrito
LiquidMetal14 said:
AMAGING OP BRUCE! Damn. You just solidified yourself in the elite for this material. You better be doing the KZ2 thread now. No pressure. And congrats to INSOMNIAC for delivering another great product. Upgraded to the CE, I couldn't resist. And thank you for using a BRD for the extras. I can't wait to play this!

Me too. Can't wait. Nice OP Bruce!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I watched bits of that video and thought it looked excellent. The atmosphere is a massive improvement over the original (it feels as if the game now has an identity).

Honestly, the only real complaint I have remains the transitions used for aiming (there are none). I absolutely hate how the weapon just sort of warps to the center of the screen rather than smoothly animating the gun moving to the aiming position. I don't understand why they decided against that. The current method is ugly and would deter me from using the aiming function. In all honesty, if they couldn't pull it off, they should have left it out (ala Halo). It's a nice feature to have, but isn't required for great first person gameplay.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
FirewalkR said:
I've had someone offer to send me a CE from the states, but if these guys are reliable, since they're sending it from Europe, I might try it.

So... are they reliable? :)

I bought from them before and I got what I paid for, so I guess they're reliable :D They have a great reputation, at least for importing blu rays.

andycapps

dark10x said:
I watched bits of that video and thought it looked excellent. The atmosphere is a massive improvement over the original (it feels as if the game now has an identity).

Honestly, the only real complaint I have remains the transitions used for aiming (there are none). I absolutely hate how the weapon just sort of warps to the center of the screen rather than smoothly animating the gun moving to the aiming position. I don't understand why they decided against that. The current method is ugly and would deter me from using the aiming function. In all honesty, if they couldn't pull it off, they should have left it out (ala Halo). It's a nice feature to have, but isn't required for great first person gameplay.

From my time in the public beta (that is ending today.. ugh), I've noticed that it feels very, very responsive in transitioning from run and gun to aiming. Yes, there isn't a smooth transition there, but as a result it feels more responsive. It's instant. The aiming function is a necessity unless you're a balls to the wall type person that uses the carbine and bullseye constantly (and even then, I think you'd need to use the iron sights for headshots).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dark10x said:

Game lacks that kind of visual finesse. It's very rigid and functional as far as camera movement goes. You will notice in the video(s) I run a lot whenever I can as I love how the camera waves a bit there. A pity it's so static during everything else.

Also, they have an awesome DOF effect going on at times, but they didn't use it on the gun when aiming. Not to mention the odd decision not to offer true ironsight view. Perhaps they didn't want muzzle flash to cover the view, but who cares. For some reasons I love when I can't see shit when I pull the trigger.

I hope they go for a more gritty and realistic approach for Resistance 3.

Just watched the beginning of TTP's video. When they call out for help in the plane, they say "India-Eight-Two to Tower".
India-Eight-Two = I82 = I8 (project name for R:FOM) + 2 (the sequel). Nice little detail :D

Apologies to those who already knew that.

J2d

That actually looked pretty good, first time I'm really anticipating R2 since the first screens were released. But end of november, honestly why SCEE?

decon

Should I worry too much about having the same problems in the retail version as I have with the beta? I always get "host timed out" :( Never happened to me in any other game (CoD4, Burnout, Wipeout HD just to name a few).

for what its worth. The levels get more and more impressive as you go in terms of graphics and art design. Except for one small Section where they use the bungie technique of cutting and pasting corridors. The section was alright in terms of gameplay but level design was unsually dull for that one section. You will know when you hit it.

Looks like its straight out of halo.

otherwise each level impresses more than the previous one.

tanod

when is my burrito
J2d said:
That actually looked pretty good, first time I'm really anticipating R2 since the first screens were released. But end of november, honestly why SCEE?

Maybe it's a competitive thing. When does Gears 2 come out in Europe.

With the minor graphical imperfections people have been mentioning in reviews and the massive improvements in the multiplayer code since the beta started, you can tell that Sony was just busting Insomniac's ass to get this out the door before Gears 2.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kabuki Waq said:
for what its worth. The levels get more and more impressive as you go in terms of graphics and art design. Except for one small Section where they use the bungie technique of cutting and pasting corridors. The section was alright in terms of gameplay but level design was unsually dull for that one section. You will know when you hit it.

Looks like its straight out of halo.

otherwise each level impresses more than the previous one.

IMO it goes up and down. There are some really bad artistic design decisions in some of the later levels. One in particular had me shacking the head wondering "why the hell did this pass approval from whoever is responsible for the art?". I'm referring to a section which is all black Chimera architecture with lots of thin white lines all over it. This is basically the worst case scenario as far as jaggies and shimmering/flickering are concerned. And it shows. You want to avoid that black and white mix like a disease. Especially on a system as prone to show some aliasing issues as the PS3 is. But yet Insomniac didn't bother. That section was a serious pain for the eyes. Other chimera environments are fine, with browns and greys, but that one was seriously disgusting. Constantly flickering at every step. Good thing it didn't last too long.

TTP said:
IMO it goes up and down. There are some really bad artistic design decisions in some of the later levels. One in particular had me shacking the head wondering "why the hell did this pass approval from whoever is responsible for the art?". I'm referring to a section which is all black Chimera architecture with lots of thin white lines all over it. This is basically the worst case scenario as far as jaggies and shimmering/flickering are concerned. And it shows. You want to avoid that black and white mix like a disease. Especially on a system as prone to show some aliasing issues as the PS3 is. But yet Insomniac didn't bother. That section was a serious pain for the eyes. Other chimera environments are fine, with browns and greys, but that one was seriously disgusting. Constantly flickering at every step. Good thing it didn't last too long.

I have not reached that part.

Man game is so polished its sad that the quality wont be consistant. Flickering would feel so out of place.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay this is getting fucking ridiculous!

What the FUCK is up with VG+ and the CE? I canceled my order just for the CE and it doesn't seem that they'll even put it up. Also checked Tronix, DUH they didn't have it either.

Seriously, UGH...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kabuki Waq said:
I have not reached that part.

Man game is so polished its sad that the quality wont be consistant. Flickering would feel so out of place.

Let me know what you think about that. I wouldn't say game is really THAT polished tho. At least in the review code, there are spots where enemies get stuck in the environment (you can see that a couple of times in the video I made for Gamersyde, it's very rare but it's there) as well as some oddities with the lighting engine. In some dark places, you can see objects and what not illuminated as they would under direct sunlight.

Norml

The chimera look really good.
2el9ld5.jpg

2utssn9.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm not watching 1 hour footage of this game. Seriously, wtf guys.

Seiken said:

What the FUCK is up with VG+ and the CE? I canceled my order just for the CE and it doesn't seem that they'll even put it up. Also checked Tronix, DUH they didn't have it either.

Seriously, UGH...

VG+ stop listing items when they sell out. I ordered the CE from them, but now it doesn't seem to be listed anymore.

Lince

Banned
Seiken said:

Seriously, UGH...

I feel your pain, I check VG+ like every five minutes but no luck, it's the only site I know that ships orders fast and in a way Spanish customs won't even notice it.

Yoshichan

Blimblim said:
No one is forcing you!
Oh and it's so easy not to watch, right? I mean, it's just an hour gameplay of the best console FPS game ever.

ChryZ

TTP said:
The best is yet to come. 3 MORE!
I just watched the first one. Dude, seriously ... :lol

I lol'd when you did the 360 spin to check for tearing, I lol'd when you zoomed in on the ground to demo the texture and I lol'd when you inspected the models of the fallen chimera.

theBishop

Banned
To Jstevenson:

PLEASE tell me there are plans to get the coop class system into the competitive multiplayer. There should be a downloadable expansion with maps specifically geared toward objective, team-based multiplayer. If the designers haven't played Return To Castle Wolfenstein, I'll send them my copy :)

h3ro

ChryZ said:

I lol'd when you did the 360 spin to check for tearing, I lol'd when you zoomed in on the ground to demo the texture and I lol'd when you inspected the models of the fallen chimera.

It's like he did the GAF test with out us even asking... :lol

Enojado

ChryZ said:

Yeah, I also :lol when he did that - especially since I will still do the same thing just to bask in R2 hi-def goodness.

tanod

when is my burrito
theBishop said:
To Jstevenson:

PLEASE tell me there are plans to get the coop class system into the competitive multiplayer. There should be a downloadable expansion with maps specifically geared toward objective, team-based multiplayer. If the designers haven't played Return To Castle Wolfenstein, I'll send them my copy :)

:OOOOO Just thinking about it. That would rock so damn hard!!!

I bet the only reason it's not in there at launch is that they haven't quite found a ruleset that keeps it fun and strategic but keeps it from being a complete stale mate.

Is there going to be a special Full Moon Show for launch? I haven't listened to the latest episode yet.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
theBishop said:
To Jstevenson:

Killzone 2 multiplayer... look it up.

Loudninja

Dammit, what is with these medics,I was next to 3 medics, and I died, not one of them tried to review instead they continue fight and than they all died and we lost.

They did not pick me up one time when I died during the co-op.

Loudninja said:
Dammit, what is with these medics,I was next to 3 medics, and I died, not one of them tried to review instead they continue fight and than they all died and we lost.

They did not pick me up one time when I died during the co-op.

That's why you need a Mic to yell at them.
:D

Sorry for the delay guys just added lots of new avatars to the OP.

btkadams said:
great thread op! but where does it say on metacritic that resistance 2 is at 100%? lol

Ha I am just waiting till metacritic has a score for it, but in a decent world it would get a 100%!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
tanod said:
:OOOOO Just thinking about it. That would rock so damn hard!!!

I bet the only reason it's not in there at launch is that they haven't quite found a ruleset that keeps it fun and strategic but keeps it from being a complete stale mate.

Is there going to be a special Full Moon Show for launch? I haven't listened to the latest episode yet.

I think we'll be recording it at the launch event in SF... you may need more than one sense to fully appreciate the show too.....

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ChryZ said:

Yeah. That's the added value with my vids. :p

In the second vid I also placed myself to recreate the hangar view of one of those early pics. @04:25

I'm crazy I know.

Top Bottom