• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 - Gamescom 2011 screens

BeeDog

I dunno, I get the feeling the SP will be extremely short for some reason. :( Let's hope my gut feeling is wrong on this one.

jstevenson, can you say anything that'll calm me?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Not gonna read the spoilers.

Cant wait for R3!!!

Calcaneus

I loved the first Resistance, but nothing after that really excites me. More than any other series, it really seems like they are just stretching things out.

Loudninja

BeeDog said:
I dunno, I get the feeling the SP will be extremely short for some reason. :( Let's hope my gut feeling is wrong on this one.

jstevenson, can you say anything that'll calm me?
He said its no longer or shorter than the first 2 games.

Fersis said:
Not gonna read the spoilers.

Cant wait for R3!!!
I already got it preorder, you should watch the slegehammer video atleast. :)

CozMick

Banned
Finished the first game recently, about half way through the second....loved every second of it so far.........

Played the beta :\

Now my hype has decreased considerably, the damn thing hurts my eyes it's so low res.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Loudninja said:
He said its no longer or shorter than the first 2 games.

I already got it preorder, you should watch the slegehammer video atleast. :)
I watched it and hype went through the roof!

frankthurk said:
Actually it is about having the job system. R2 was more heavily scripted than R1 or R3 will be, and the only good tool available at the time to manage aggression was to say 'you attack player now' which turns the AI into a dumb missile. The job system allows for pressure/aggression controls while still allowing the AI to still smartly respond to what's going on around it.

And also the AI does totally have to be toned down. Smart AI that does good flanking vs. non-expert players = players getting constantly nailed from the sides/offscreen which actually turns out to not be much fun. You want more aggression and flanking crank up the difficulty.

I'm not telling them to do away with the job system, but the job system itself doesn't make the AI smart, it only controls the variety of enemies the player faces and the difficulty of a scenario.

The AI doesn't have to be toned down, what needs to be tuned is the number of various enemy types that the player is facing, for example the ratio of grunts/elites in HALO. You're not going to have to face a whole bunch of super-smart enemies, but you don't dumb down your super smart enemies, you don't dumb down your smarter AIs, you have fewer of them in case of an easy difficulty setting.

Fersis

Loudninja said:
Should be a fun weapon to , especially to conserve ammo.I dont think this will be an easy game.
I want to rock some MP matches with the hammer.

ProfessorMoran said:
I'm not telling them to do away with the job system, but the job system itself doesn't make the AI smart, it only controls the variety of enemies the player faces and the difficulty of a scenario.

The AI doesn't have to be toned down, what needs to be tuned is the number of various enemy types that the player is facing, for example the ratio of grunts/elites in HALO. You're not going to have to face a whole bunch of super-smart enemies, but you don't dumb down your super smart enemies, you don't dumb down your smarter AIs, you have fewer of them in case of an easy difficulty setting.

Yeah the job system actually doesn't control the variety, it offers jobs that the enemies, whatever their make up, can do. If they want to ramp up the intensity they can toss in a couple aggressor jobs and the AIs in best position and that most like being aggressive can take those and start wrecking stuff... same with flanking.

So it doesn't make them smart, it just gives design knobs they can use to control intensity and pacing without having to make the AI dumb.

patsu

frankthurk said:
Yeah the job system actually doesn't control the variety, it offers jobs that the enemies, whatever their make up, can do. If they want to ramp up the intensity they can toss in a couple aggressor jobs and the AIs in best position and that most like being aggressive can take those and start wrecking stuff... same with flanking.

So it doesn't make them smart, it just gives design knobs they can use to control intensity and pacing without having to make the AI dumb.

That's implementation details.

From user point of view, more enemy job variety can be perceived as smarter.

Zoibie

Does the sledgehammer upgrade? If it does, how, because I'm imagining some sort of nitroglycerin covered, explode on contact sledgehammer that covers everything in hybrid blood and entrails.

Loudninja

Zoibie said:
Does the sledgehammer upgrade? If it does, how, because I'm imagining some sort of nitroglycerin covered, explode on contact sledgehammer that covers everything in hybrid blood and entrails.
I don't think it does, but ti does have an alt attack like every other weapon

patsu said:
That's implementation details.

From user point of view, more enemy job variety can be perceived as smarter.

Good point.

Just trying to point out there isn't an aggressive guy and a flanker guy and a coward guy. Most can fill most 'jobs' as needed.

Loudninja

o2doo.jpg

PS3 from Gamescon, Detroit on the IG forums posted it.

There's a coalition of PS fanboys at work; one guy gave me his copy of Resistance and insists that I play it. I put it in for 20 minutes and almost fell asleep. Is it worth it to force myself to play a little more?

patsu

Conciliator said:
There's a coalition of PS fanboys at work; one guy gave me his copy of Resistance and insists that I play it. I put it in for 20 minutes and almost fell asleep. Is it worth it to force myself to play a little more?

You mean RFOM ? Where did you stop ? At the beginning, it feels and plays like an old WWII shooter. Only after certain encounters then the story begins to pick up, and the enemies start to become more interesting.

Loudninja

Conciliator said:
It gets much better.

Loudninja

Tylahedras said:
I've tried to play both the first and second game and I just do not understand the appeal of this series.
It just a fun series, the weapons, enemies and the story are all good to me

Edit:BTW the official topic will be handled so don't worry about that guys ;)

Loudninja

Eh someone got R3 already?Well here are his impressions
yea, didn’t know it went gold but a couple copies landed in the office and since my boss doesn’t play games so I got it

Compared to R2 it is so much better…. graphics, controls, story, difficulty… I am really enjoying it. How it feels and plays is a ton better than R2. It is difficult on normal (more strategic, no run and gun at least in this difficulty). The graphics are dang good too. The game feels very dark and graphically it has a very dark palette. It is also quite intense in some areas. I also enjoy how there are med packs instead of health regeneration! The art direction is pretty cool

I don’t play COD much so I can’t really compare much. Last I played was World at War. This feels similar

Haven’t played multiplayer yet…

To be honest I played a couple hours yesterday but couldn’t really get into it… just wasn’t in the mood. Tonight I am really enjoying it tonight though. I am probably 4 hours in so far and the levels are pretty good. I am currently in a “stealth” area and it doesn’t feel like other stealth games (to me at least).
http://beefjack.com/news/resistance-3-leaked-2-weeks-before-release-to-reddit-user/

Hph ;(

Top Bottom