• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawns Abbie Heppe: "We're not dropping the resolution" of Titanfall for launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chobel

So he was wrong about the textures, more than likely he's wrong about the resolution, what are the odds that he's wrong about the party chat?

Barzul

That's not what he said at all.

"If people are still considering the the xbox one after all we know, nothing I say will change their mind."

which is exactly what im saying :- outside of forum debates that ultimately amount to nothing, CBOAT hasn't effected anything.

edit: actually its "nothing I say", not "nothing I can say"

He then goes on to say I give what I can. I still think my previous post was a good enough generalization of the sentiment cboat was trying to convey, especially as I was going off memory from a post from almost 4 months ago.

you seem so blase about someone putting their career and way of life on the line for video game fans. sure him being treated like a God is completely over the top but don't act like his info is inconsequential or of little merit. you are here trying to undermine him afterall so he must be good for something.

Huh??? Last I read, we don't even know what CBOAT does, much less where he works.....but sure...for the love of the games....

I don't. The movement/parkour in Brink was far more involved and reliant on where you were looking. Titanfall's movement is far more automatic and intuitive. Frankly I think Titanfall feels more like Mirror's Edge in terms of movement far more than it feels like Brink.
In terms of campaign multiplayer. Which was why I brought up Brink originally. There are lots of differences, Brink lets you play offline with bots for example.

arimanius

That's not what he said at all.

"If people are still considering the the xbox one after all we know, nothing I say will change their mind."

which is exactly what im saying :- outside of forum debates that ultimately amount to nothing, CBOAT hasn't effected anything.

edit: actually its "nothing I say", not "nothing I can say"

That's how I read it. He's not trying to change anyone's mind.

So he was wrong about the textures, more than likely he's wrong about the resolution, what are the odds that he's wrong about the party chat?

It wouldn't be the first time as I believe that BF4 has its own parties and party chat on the xb1 (anyone? I have the ps4 version).

That said, everything I know about it is they are working with the "fixed" microsoft system, they don't have their own solution.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Have you not read his livejournal? It's amazing.

It was a fun read as long as I took him for a troll or a stupid 10-year old. But ever since he went on a witch-hunt and revealed a gaffer's personal information on his blog, I think that we should just ignore that jerk. Console war drama and lulz are entertaining, but that went way too far.

danwarb

You are correct.

To correct my statment: Remeber How PS4 Tomb Raider had TressFX and was able to reach 60fps, but the XBone couldnt

Xbox was capped at 30 (consistent though), probably because it averaged lower than PS4. PS4 struggled with 60fps, often less.

Alpha blending shouldn't be especially awkward for the XBone. You'd think that's be something the eSRAM would actually be good for.

TyrantII

Have you not read his livejournal? It's amazing. The xbox one has a second hidden GPU. Double layered ram.

He also made this which he thinks somehow makes a point about... I don't even know what.

Bg09bm1CEAABJ6z.jpg

Nah, I won't give him pageclicks.

My money in the hat is on it being an elaborate, cynically epic trolling of the fanboys that will eventually be revealed.

After the page clicks generate some nice cash first, of course.

It was a fun read as long as I took him for a troll or a stupid 10-year old. But ever since he went on a witch-hunt and revealed a gaffer's personal information on his blog, I think that we should just ignore that jerk. Console war drama and lulz are entertaining, but that went way too far.

I agree. I typically ignore him, but since timdog is gone I felt like we needed stupidity from somewhere.

Chobel

It wouldn't be the first time as I believe that BF4 has its own parties and party chat on the xb1 (anyone? I have the ps4 version).

That said, everything I know about it is they are working with the "fixed" microsoft system, they don't have their own solution.

Strike three, cboat you're out.

Symax

Now everything makes sense. Titanfall is a secret weapon designed by Microsoft with the one and only mission to kill CBOAT.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

The party chat rumors makes much sense since we know that there is an actual problem with party chat. It's also very likely that Respawn had to implement a fallback solution way before Microsoft had scheduled the system's patch for March, just to be on the safe side.

jgf

It just makes no sense - as if cboat is trying to get banned on purpose.

However if Respawn are going to ship their own version of party chat -perhaps temporary till a system update arrives- I can see that they would need to take resources away from the game in order to run the rumored tacked on version.

But why should the developer outright deny those rumors if they were true? I don't see any reason. Just ignore them if they are true. Thus they are very likely false.

Although it appears that this whole scenario is not based on the rules of common sense.

E92 M3

The alpha channel is the transparency component in a color description, e.g. of a pixel. You use this to describe the transparency of smoke, etc. Alpha blending is the process of determining the final color of a pixel on screen by mixing all the colors of overlapping pixels according to their alpha values. If I am not mistaken, the performance of this step is mostly limited by the GPU's pixel fillrate. (I am a computer scientist, but not in the field of computer graphics, so I am an easy victim to the Dunning-Kruger effect, but I think this explanation is mostly correct.)

I appreciate the in-depth explanation -- this stuff really flies over my head. I can understand any biological process, but when it comes to computer science, I really have to engage my brain lol and then feel stupid.

They called him out on the alpha textures being final as well.

Didn't see the alpha so I wouldn't know but the beta textures were pretty bad. Could it be that cboat was kind of right about this?

Can anyone explain why TF is nearly 50GB after download and install is complete?

https://twitter.com/VinceZampella/status/437980161263153152

That's what I don't get either. Killzone is less than 50gb and has textures in a different league from Titanfall. Not to mention a campaign in addition to MP maps. So yeah I don't know why Titanfall is such a massive game

I agree. I typically ignore him, but since timdog is gone I felt like we needed stupidity from somewhere.

I know someone at work who reads his stuff and believes him. The dude is actually a low level boss where I work. Additonally, he has friends who believe him. Can you imagine what I have to avoid? I can't even talk about the subject anymore. The guy interrupts others conversations about games and yells & shit.

This was my exact reaction when he targeted Ekim. I would be all for the banning of misterx's website here. The dude came off as a real prick.

The Cboat witch hunt continues to be most amusing to observe.

The chaos he can cause with a single post is amazing.

So, the only legit guy is Verendus?

I wouldn't put much stock in him to be honest. Thuway and Mortimer seem to be the only consistently accurate guys on that score as far as I can tell.

mmitt

48 gigs for a multiplayer only arena based shooter that doesnt even look that good. This game really has got to be rushed there is no other explanation.

"48 gigs for a game? they clearly rushed it. they didn't even have time to _________"

can you finish that sentence while making sense?

His site will be interesting to read in 2 years.

that cult will still be claiming Microsoft is purposely holding back the second gpu and extra 96mb of esram and that is all a tactic.

a lot of them seriously believe that the xb1 is 3 times the power of the ps4.

that the ps4 is just off the shelf parts so it will die out faster, etc etc.

50 gigs for a game that looks like this? Where is all that memory going? Textures released at high res but internally upscaled? Some unknown asset diversity? Some strange texturing technique requiring huge storage space?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom