• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawns Abbie Heppe: "We're not dropping the resolution" of Titanfall for launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

E92 M3

I still think that CBoaT mistook alpha-version textures with alpha blending effects. Maybe somebody said that those are being downgraded, which would make sense, since they are probably the main cause for framerate drops. CBoaT then mistook that for alpha-version textures since those were of low quality in the alpha test.

This would explain everything without the need for crazy conspiracy theories.

What are alpha-blending effects and why do they cause framerate drops?

Since we can't get tim dog's reaction...

0vQfdDl.png

GOd damn, I really wish he and tim dog had GAF accounts so we could experience this stuff in real time. Maybe even at 60fps*

with periodic drops to 37

statham

I stand by what I said. I see no evidence that CBOAT had any impact except give talking points for fanboys. Any reduced sales of the Xbox one can be laid at the feet of Microsofts PR, pricing and mismanaged console reveal and launch.

how would you see impact? cboat threads are on reddit and every other gaming website. It all feeds back to GAF, and they think anything he says is fact. People are even taking his word over the dev. in this exact thread.

cboat has/had a agenda to get people not to buy a XB1, I guess the bundle got to him to say crazy stuff.
ntkrnl has/had an agenda to get people to buy an Xbone. Same coin, the truth is the truth.

I think CBOAT was smoked out right around when kernel came in. Respawn was on standby to deny his claims, a very unusual act from anything Microsoft related.

Megasoum

Banned
Sometimes it feels like the industry is being ran from inside an East-German bunker in the middle of the 70s.... Some Cold war level stuff happening.

antitrop

Well ok then, personally I see a lot of similarities between the two.
I just watched Angry Joe's review of Brink and it seems to have had a lot of good ideas, but zero execution.

So as long as Respawn can take some of those ideas and properly execute on them, then all is well. The Beta shows they're executing just fine.

Bsigg12

That ones easy.

It's 720 to cut down on tearing and dips, which were present in the alpha and beta. 72 lines of resolution ain't worth dropping more frames.

But if you read the OP of this thread, it's already debunked by Respawn. The game runs higher than 720p

Yoda

Talk about throwing someone under the bus. Until the game launches I don't think anyone should call BS on his claim. Sometimes he's right, sometimes he isn't. He's right more often than he's wrong (maybe not as much recently) but given that MS is in crisis mode that is most likely why.

Sean

Banned
And yet we still have the likes.of Albert.

I guess it's okay for ms employes to come here and lie to our faces. Hiding behind ignorance and just not knowing the plans, even though being the marketing/planing director.

I don't read Albert's posts cause I assume they're spin, but if he's made any false claims he should be held accountable as well.

Famous people like Dyack have been banned, CliffyB threads are banned, sites that post false info are asterisked out, etc. CBOAT shouldn't get special treatment just because he/she has been right in the past.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That ones easy.

It's 720 to cut down on tearing and dips, which were present in the alpha and beta. 72 lines of resolution ain't worth dropping more frames.

The thread is about them specifically not dropping the resolution. It's going to atleast be 792 unless the developers are lying.

danwarb

If that is the case then why the determination ? I don't get it. The timing of the accounts TitanFall alpha textures thread right after the Forza Horizon, Crackdown leak was dodgy to say the least and smelled a bit of an agenda but why?

I actually appreciate any genuine info from any trusted source but this situation surely goes beyond console war politics ? If not it's pretty sad.

The timing of new rumours is always pretty funny. As if to counter any perceived positivity.

Talk about throwing someone under the bus. Until the game launches I don't think anyone should call BS on his claim. Sometimes he's right, sometimes he isn't. He's right more often than he's wrong (maybe not as much recently) but given that MS is in crisis mode that is most likely why.

Not even the people who play the game daily?

PBY

Banned
People are arguing that sometimes devs and pubs lie for the sake of PR which is why we are waiting for DF to give us an actual verdict.

This would be pretty blatant though no? Ban bets? Straight up denials?

Like, they haven't even hedged

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Well ok then, personally I see a lot of similarities between the two.

I don't. The movement/parkour in Brink was far more involved and reliant on where you were looking. Titanfall's movement is far more automatic and intuitive. Frankly I think Titanfall feels more like Mirror's Edge in terms of movement far more than it feels like Brink.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
What are alpha-blending effects and why do they cause framerate drops?

The alpha channel is the transparency component in a color description, e.g. of a pixel. You use this to describe the transparency of smoke, etc. Alpha blending is the process of determining the final color of a pixel on screen by mixing all the colors of overlapping pixels according to their alpha values. If I am not mistaken, the performance of this step is mostly limited by the GPU's pixel fillrate. (I am a computer scientist, but not in the field of computer graphics, so I am an easy victim to the Dunning-Kruger effect, but I think this explanation is mostly correct.)

"if what all I've leaked doesn't stop people from buying an Xbox One, I just don't know what else to do".

That's not what he said at all.

"If people are still considering the the xbox one after all we know, nothing I say will change their mind."

which is exactly what im saying :- outside of forum debates that ultimately amount to nothing, CBOAT hasn't effected anything.

edit: actually its "nothing I say", not "nothing I can say"

But if you read the OP of this thread, it's already debunked by Respawn. The game runs higher than 720p

We should be careful though. Everything is being upscaled to 1080p in the end. If you see it that way, they're technically not dropping the resolution.
Would be weird, but who knows. As Pete said, the industry is bonkers.

Barzul

Have you not read his livejournal? It's amazing. The xbox one has a second hidden GPU. Double layered ram.

He also made this which he thinks somehow makes a point about... I don't even know what.

Bg09bm1CEAABJ6z.jpg

I personally think he's a parody blogger that didn't expect this much popularity and just went with it. No one sane would believe what he says.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
That's not what he said at all.

"If people are still considering the the xbox one after all we know, nothing I can say will change their mind."

which is exactly what im saying :- outside of forum debates that ultimately amount to nothing, CBOAT hasn't effected anything.

Yep. Those posts were made when the Xbone was at the lowest of the low in regards to perception. If somebody was intending to still buy one, anything he said would have no effect.

E92 M3

I just watched Angry Joe's review of Brink and it seems to have had a lot of good ideas, but zero execution.

So as long as Respawn can take some of those ideas and properly execute on them, then all is well. The Beta shows they're executing just fine.
It was very rough around the edges, but my point was the story mode being done in MP will be similar. Cutscenes before and after missions, and some dialogue during, and that'll be about it.

We'll see soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom