• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Results for NPD - January 2019

From the other place.

Switch: 284k
PS4: 195k
XB1: 101k

Switch has had the best January of the gen beating PS4's 2014 (274k).

EDIT ***********

Thanks to iconmaster iconmaster

Top sellers are -- NSMB U Deluxe (Switch), Kingdom Hearts III (PS4), Resident Evil 2 remake (Xbox One).

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally very glad to see Switch doing so well, especially how most people like shit on system for not being not as powerful as other consoles. This just shows having games people care about is more important than having powerful system.

TLZ

Banned
Honestly surprised Switch did that in Jan. Even then Xbox couldn't do much in its own backyard.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Damn, no one cares.
I would really like a breakdown for the PS4 and Xbox sales and who's buy and Pro and the X.

Other than that, I have to imagine this will be the trajectory for console sales until Sony and MS release whatever the hell they're going to release.

What I care about are whatever game sales they have while wondering who the hell still buys physical games.

Quixz

Switch is doing business out there
I wonder when the refresh is coming so I can finally pick up one

Athena~

Banned
Damn, no one cares.
Maybe wait more than 20 mins?

Sales average per week in Jan 2019:

Switch: 71k (YOY +29%)
PS4: 49k (YOY -4%)
XB1: 25K (YOY -47%)

For comparisons in Jan 2018 sales average per week:

Switch: 55k
PS4: 51k
XB1: 47K

PS4 steady thanks to RE2 and KH3. XB1 a disaster.

Switch is okay since it’s a new system. It needs to sell as much as it can before the PS5 hype.

TLZ

Banned
What I care about are whatever game sales they have while wondering who the hell still buys physical games.
giphy.gif

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
You're a dying breed. Hopefully your Walmart or whatever the Walmart equivalent for your Country will still sell you a physical disc, because places like Gamestop sure as hell won't be around for much longer.

When the gen started in 2013, between my PS4, my Xbox, my PC, and my Switch, I own 4 physical copies of games. 3 of them are for the Switch.

Athena~

Banned
You always so damn negative towards Switch, no matter how good it does.
How is “it did okay” the equivalent to “so damn negative”?

It just got a new Mario game last month plus only the 2nd month of releasing their biggest game, I thought the result was to be expected for a fairly new system?

Met expectations, so saying that it did okay was fair.

DanielsM

Banned
I do! Wow xbox sales dropped like a rock. Insane numbers for switch in Jan.

Year over year its been going down for quite some time, nothing new there. Here are global numbers by statista.com, statista gathers numbers on 100s of industries not just video game consoles.
https://www.statista.com/aboutus/

85c9565627e47ac4aba2a00cb3101acd-full.png

This is global sales, chart on the left is Platform sales (data does not include original Xbox and PS2), chart on right is the individual console sales, this does include the Switch but not other handhelds.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I’m surprised how good PS4 hold... after December I expected a 15-25% drop in January near 150k.

200k is absolutely great for that month in it 6th year.

Meh3D

You're a dying breed. Hopefully your Walmart or whatever the Walmart equivalent for your Country will still sell you a physical disc, because places like Gamestop sure as hell won't be around for much longer.

The bitterness that drips from every word. Almost like you’re damning the person for their preference. Not to mention the backhanded comment at the end.

Why did you feel the need to reply in a such a manner?

Last edited:

choodi

Banned
Switch is really ramping up to have a huge 2019. It should blow past the XBO installed base and will really hit its stride software-wise (both first and third party).

It's been quite a while since the XB1 nearly sold below 100K in an NPD report...

And the Switch may pass the XB1 in overall sales sooner than I thought.

VertigoOA

Banned
I still don’t like the switch comparison to the home consoles. I wouldn’t compare Nintendo’s handheld performance in the past to ps2, PS3 or 360 for instance. Its a bit fuzzy to say the least

Like by no means does switch selling more than Xbox one Ltd seem like ms lost to Nintendo. They still lost to Sony.

Nintendo did the right thing to put all their games in one place. Even if the switch revenue doesn’t compare to the monster period of Wii and ds early years... I imagine it’s selling more games than those... only because the fans don’t need to Buy two separate pieces of hardware. I never bought handhelds even when my primary consoles were snes,n64 and GameCube

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yep, uplift from One X is looking like its lasting almost exactly as long as that from the launch of the One S. Suggests to me that MS are great at selling to existing subscribers to their ecosystem, but not much beyond that.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The bitterness that drips from every word. Almost like you’re damning the person for their preference. Not to mention the backhanded comment at the end.

Why did you feel the need to reply in a such a manner?
Bitter? Why the hell would I be bitter?

I felt the need to respond because my reaction was, "Aww, that's cute." I swear that unless something drastically changes, the only way that you're going to find a physical copy of the game is from Redbox.

But please, show me where I can buy a PC game in physical form that isn't in one of the shops I listed or one that I'm guessing isn't going to be in business in 5 years. Steam has been training us for this for the past 16 years.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

When the gen started in 2013, between my PS4, my Xbox, my PC, and my Switch, I own 4 physical copies of games. 3 of them are for the Switch.

I own 143 physical games between Switch, PS4, and Xbox. I've bought a bunch of Indie games too. The only time I've bought digital has been when there is a deeply discounted sale that is better than can be found in store (not very often). I got Dragon Age Inquisition for $4.99, for example. I own 4 digital games. Is the industry so sure it wants to forego my money for yours? Something to ponder.

woigemok

Banned
Maybe wait more than 20 mins?

Sales average per week in Jan 2019:

Switch: 71k (YOY +29%)
PS4: 49k (YOY -4%)
XB1: 25K (YOY -47%)

For comparisons in Jan 2018 sales average per week:

Switch: 55k
PS4: 51k
XB1: 47K

PS4 steady thanks to RE2 and KH3. XB1 a disaster.

Switch is okay since it’s a new system. It needs to sell as much as it can before the PS5 hype.
LMAO, Switch is going to do a record number this year.

Rough year for Nintendo indeed :messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming:
Animal Crossing, Mario Maker 2, New Mainline Pokemon, FE 3 Houses, Astral Chain, Yoshi Craft World, Zelda: Link awakening, DXM, and etc are definitely > better than PS4 lineup this year :messenger_grinning_sweat:

LMJ

Animal Crossing, Mario Maker 2, New Mainline Pokemon, FE 3 Houses, Astral Chain, Yoshi Craft World, Zelda: Link awakening, DXM, and etc are definitely > better than PS4 lineup this year :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Congrats Nintendo, awesome news.

Looking forward to almost all of those, but isn't the best line up to personal opinion?

I mean it mostly boils down to subjectivity, personally I think both systems will bring the heat this year :messenger_beaming:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I own 143 physical games between Switch, PS4, and Xbox. I've bought a bunch of Indie games too. The only time I've bought digital has been when there is a deeply discounted sale that is better than can be found in store (not very often). I got Dragon Age Inquisition for $4.99, for example. I own 4 digital games. Is the industry so sure it wants to forego my money for yours? Something to ponder.
It is willing to forgo your money. Your money for used games doesn't go to them. It goes to the gamestops. PC figured this out long ago and it's been so long that it's just a distant memory. People are angry about games being exclusive on the Epic store and not Steam. Completely digital distribution. Just you wait. Like I told the other one, you're a dying breed.

leo-j

Xb1 is fading, this is it’s biggest market and it received a 100 dollar price cut for the one x, and the one s is selling cheaper than the base ps4 with games.

Ps4 outselling it 2:1 is intense.

Switch doing very well, it’s eating up that 3DS market for sure so far.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

You never learn to you? Squeaking your way (since this one was light for you) to a perm huh?

leo-j

I hope Nintendo release that new switch with slim bezels, a bigger screen. And 1080p in the go! Also announce some VConsole stuff.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

I have no issues getting my physical copies actually. In fact, I exclusively buy physical and will continue to do so.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I have no issues getting my physical copies actually. In fact, I exclusively buy physical and will continue to do so.
And that's perfectly ok. Not going to change my opinion that in the future your options for a physical disc are going the way of the dodo.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
And that's perfectly ok. Not going to change my opinion that in the future your options for a physical disc are going the way of the dodo.
If they dodo after I have dodoed I will not care. For the short and mid term I am pretty sure physical will continue to exist.

mejin

So, can we stop the fabrication SIE don't know what they are doing just cause they are not barking loud on the internet like MS?

If Sony needs to launch PS5 asap cause of a bad momentum where does it put MS? just some food for thought.

This year is for switch to shine. PS4 won last year in a direct confrontation with switch, so it did its job, in worlwide numbers.

This year the lineup is solid, we just need 1 of the big 3 to make it awesome. Hope it is TLoU2.

Top Bottom