• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Results for NPD - January 2019

Mista

Banned
Thanks to Smash the Switch is selling well. Sad to see the X drops like this but it’s understandable

Evilms

Banned
You never learn to you? Squeaking your way (since this one was light for you) to a perm huh?
This guy is a big nintendo fanboys, he spends his time making console war on resetera, vgchartz... while shitting on the PS4 to glorify his nintendo master.

ethomaz

Banned
And that's perfectly ok. Not going to change my opinion that in the future your options for a physical disc are going the way of the dodo.
The market will accommodate boths.

We are no where close to physical go away... it is more probably consoles will ends before physical media.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
The market will accommodate boths.

We are no where close to physical go away... it is more probably consoles will ends before physical media.

We are very close to physical being dead. Digital is at 50% and growing at a fast rate while GameStops shut down across the United States.

Midnight launches at retailers are no longer a thing. Low shipments on niche games are no longer an issue. Prices on games collapse to cheap prices faster than they ever have. And more games from all eras are more readily available on “working” modern hardware.

Everything about digital is superior. Everything

ethomaz

Banned
We are very close to physical being dead. Digital is at 50% and growing at a fast rate while GameStops shut down across the United States.

Midnight launches at retailers are no longer a thing. Low shipments on niche games are no longer an issue. Prices on games collapse to cheap prices faster than they ever have. And more games from all eras are more readily available on “working” modern hardware.

Digital grow faster because it was small to begin with and even so it took the full generation to go from less than 10% to around 40%.

Now the grow won’t be that fast... it will probably stagnate around 50-60%.

Physical will never die or at least we won’t be alive to see that. You need to understand that even with MP3, Spotify, etc the Vinil market is still good.

There are advantages and disadvantages in both sides... digital is not anywhere close to be better in everything lol

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

It is willing to forgo your money. Your money for used games doesn't go to them. It goes to the gamestops. PC figured this out long ago and it's been so long that it's just a distant memory. People are angry about games being exclusive on the Epic store and not Steam. Completely digital distribution. Just you wait. Like I told the other one, you're a dying breed.
Who said anything about used games? I buy everything new unless I can only find it used. Think I’ve bought maybe 5 used games this gen. Still willing to bet my buying power is much greater than; yours, we will see. Maybe we aren’t a dying breed, maybe cats like you are stillborn.

VertigoOA

Banned
Digital grow faster because it was small to begin with and even so it took the full generation to go from less than 10% to around 40%.

Now the grow won’t be that fast... it will probably stagnate around 50-60%.

Physical will never die or at least we won’t be alive to see that. You need to understand that even with MP3, Spotify, etc the Vinil market is still good.

There are advantages and disadvantages in both sides... digital is not anywhere close to be better in everything lol

Vinyl market is not good. Lmfaooo. It’s beyond niche. Just because .0000000075 percent of a population still buys it doesn’t mean it’s anywhere near relevant.

Hold on let me go to my moms garage and dig up here record players. Vinyl only appeals to wannabe djs who are incapable of playing actual instruments and want high quality samples of music they’re gonna steal.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Vinyl market is not good. Lmfaooo. It’s beyond niche. Just because .0000000075 percent of a population still buys it doesn’t mean it’s anywhere near relevant.

Hold on let me go to my moms garage and dig up here record players. Vinyl only appeals to wannabe djs who are incapable of playing actual instruments and want high quality samples of music they’re gonna steal.
vinyl_sales_muratore.jpg

Vinyl Record Sales Expected to Surpass 10 Million Units In 2018 — And That’s Conservative

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fbillrosenblatt%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F10%2Ftotal-used-vinyl-vs-RIAA.jpg

Vinyl Is Bigger Than We Thought. Much Bigger.

chartoftheday_7699_lp_sales_in_the_united_states_n.jpg

The Surprising Comeback of Vinyl Records

Vinyl Records Are Still Enjoying Double-Digit Growth — Up 19.2% In 2018

Sometimes I wish people do research before post.

But but but physical should die lol

It is not without reason big Publishers and electronic companies are looking serious at Vynil market ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, good thread.

PS4 almost double Xbox is pretty dramatic change from Xmas period where MS gets huge chunk of their sales. This will continue until next November as PS4 has a stellar line-up this year, potentially even better than 2018 (GoW, Spiderman and Detroit one mighty trio).

iconmaster

Banned
Damn, no one cares.

You jumped the gun, before there was much to talk about.

Software sales are showing up shortly, if you'd like to add them to your OP.

Edit: top sellers are -- NSMB U Deluxe (Switch), Kingdom Hearts III (PS4), Resident Evil 2 remake (Xbox One).

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned
Nintendo needed to man up their balls and share the digital numbers FFS, Smash Ultimate Digital number in Japan is above 500k and it's must be bigger in the US since the latest number of Smash Ultimate is above 5million there.

Dabaus

Banned
Funny fact...

XB1 global sales last month was probably below 200k.

Yeah but has anyone noticed xbox is secretly doing really well? I think this shows that ps4 is the "default" console for most gamers, albeit in need of a price cut. The switch is the hot new thing and probably a secondary console next to ps4. Xbox is just fighting for scraps at this point.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I said this before but in my opinion the biggest issue with current Xbox is its trying to be both a PC and a console but the system is no were near as powerful as actual PC gaming and it doesn’t have anywhere near as exclusive as Nintendo and Sony consoles. So it basically stuck in this awkward place between PC and console but it doesn’t have the benefits of the either side. Next gen MS need to properly decide if they want their system to PC or console.

guggnichso

Banned
That’s not particularly surprising, the PS4 is now at the end of its life cycle, so is the Xbox, while the Switch is still relatively new.

There‘ll be price cuts to tap into audiences that have not yet bough the consoles this year, and things might change, but I think this is just an expected development.

VertigoOA

Banned
vinyl_sales_muratore.jpg

Vinyl Record Sales Expected to Surpass 10 Million Units In 2018 — And That’s Conservative

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fbillrosenblatt%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F10%2Ftotal-used-vinyl-vs-RIAA.jpg

Vinyl Is Bigger Than We Thought. Much Bigger.

chartoftheday_7699_lp_sales_in_the_united_states_n.jpg

The Surprising Comeback of Vinyl Records

Vinyl Records Are Still Enjoying Double-Digit Growth — Up 19.2% In 2018

Sometimes I wish people do research before post.

But but but physical should die lol

It is not without reason big Publishers and electronic companies are looking serious at Vynil market ;)

10 millions units in a year. THats insignificant. Vinyl is a niche product for audiophiles. There is no difference between retail and digital game purchases

Dabaus

Banned
I posted this in another thread but I figure id post it here as well for further discussion.

Anthem XB1S bundle across Amazon.

UK #1070
Germany #1344
France #3771
USA #1007

Saw this floating around online that someone else posted. No idea if its true or not but if so theres a lot of implications here:

-First of all January NPD For MS was 101k(Switch was 284k and ps4 was 195k for context). To add injury to insult the one s was 50 dollars off and the 1X was 399. PS4 had no deals in January. Almost sub 100k purchases in their strongest market in a month. Were probably looking at a sub 200k month world wide, while switch and PS4 are probably 500k plus per month. I don't know how xbox can sustain any hype until late 2020 with this kind of showing if it continues.

-Xbox one X was not been the shot in the arm MS needed to sustain long term marketshare growth and in likelihood was probably selling to already converted xbox one owners. I have no evidence to back this claim but I doubt a 500 dollar console attracted a lot of new people.

-Third party game splits, at where we get information anyways, shows a consistent 60:40 split for larger western AAA games and 80:20 splits for AAA Japanese games., in xbox friendly territories mind you. This trend has been consistent but the spin is "But Xbox gamers download more games than usual." That may be true but PS4 gamers can download said games too and we don't know sales splits for those.

-Finally, Anthem is the Quintessential "Xbox" experience MS has been chasing all gen. Its what Sea of thieves, PUBG, and state of decay wish they could be in terms of production values and hype. And yet its getting mediocre reviews, and apparently bundles aren't helping at all. It may end up doing well when its all said and done but it wont be the phenomenon MS needs a game like this to be if GAAS type games are what they are betting the farm on.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Nice for Switch! This year is gonna be excellent for it. The release schedule is way more balanced this time around, so it should sell more then it did last year.

Xbox not doing to well and this is in it's strongest territory, i'd hate to see it's performance elsewhere...

-Xbox one X was not been the shot in the arm MS needed to sustain long term marketshare growth and in likelihood was probably selling to already converted xbox one owners. I have no evidence to back this claim but I doubt a 500 dollar console attracted a lot of new people.
The XB1X was the longest lasting "short-term" solution and brought home more hardware revenue to boot. It launched in November 2017 and the XB1 did enjoy a better YOY performance in 2018 (at least in NPD. No idea about worldwide). For once, Microsoft came up with a solution that lasted for a year. If we looked at Microsoft's measures before the X, they didn't last as long.

Holiday 2014 - Microsoft cut the price of the XB1 to $349 and bundled it with Assassin's Creed Unity. The console enjoyed impressive holiday season sales, but its performance dropped off in January.

Summer 2016 - Microsoft launched the XB1S which gave the console a good boost from August through December. However, its sales performance also dropped off in January.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The XB1X was the longest lasting "short-term" solution and brought home more hardware revenue to boot.

Is that supposed to be good? I can sell 10m $1m dollar cars for $10,000,000,000 in revenue, but what if those cars cost me $1,000,001 to make?

Is that supposed to be good? I can sell 10m $1m dollar cars for $10,000,000,000 in revenue, but what if those cars cost me $1,000,001 to make?
I didn't make any opinions about the X's effect. I'm just pointing out that out of all of Microsoft's strategies to boost XB1 sales, launching the X was the best one, thus far.

If you want my personal opinion on that, I would say it's 'okay'. It gave MS a respectable boost for a year. However, on the downside, XB1 sales fell rather precipitously last month as opposed to the PS4's gradual 4% drop. And with Mike Ybarra complaining about Anthem's lackluster reviews, the XB1's significant YOY drop may continue.

Scary thing for Microsoft should be the fact that starting next generation there will be 100+ millions of gamers invested into PS4 ecosystem so as long as Sony provides BC (and with AMD parts being used again there's no reason not to do it) they will have to provide enough incentives to make people abandon all that.

Well especially price - digital in Europe goes for 60-70 euros while I buy disc games for 45-50 usually

DanielsM

Banned
Yeah but has anyone noticed xbox is secretly doing really well? I think this shows that ps4 is the "default" console for most gamers, albeit in need of a price cut. The switch is the hot new thing and probably a secondary console next to ps4. Xbox is just fighting for scraps at this point.

Its so silent they are going back to original Xbox numbers - global Xbox sales for 2018 was 6.94m according to statista. (That is original Xbox sales levels) Nadella has no choice but to shove this into the cloud as soon as possible.

Nadella speaking of the phone market (Windows Phone)... note Microsoft stops support for WP at the end of this year:
“I voted no,” Nadella writes. “I did not get why the world needed the third ecosystem in phones unless we changed the rules … But it was too late to regain the ground we had lost. We were chasing our competitors’ taillights.”

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-ceo-not-get-world-needed-third-ecosystem-phones/

Last edited:

chinoXL

damn bad look for Xbox, i wouldn't want to be the head of the Xbox division right now, that's a battle i wouldn't want to deal with...Good on Switch and PS4 puttin up numbers!

Top Bottom