• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retailers are heading to Nintendo Europe in Germany for undisclosed reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deleted

When have they done this in the past exactly? Retailers, not journalists.

My guess: We don't know about it, because we didn't care. Most likely those kinds of information/events are often later than the reveal, because the reveal is further away from the launch-date/preorder-date and we already know everything important about the console in question at that point, so nobody cares about retailer invites.

A lot of information about the reveal is in the dark, simply because we don't have a date like E3 set in stone for a reveal. So we soak up all the available information. And things like this end up in the spotlight when nobody would care under different circumstances.

Why wouldn't they discuss any feature details? I expect Nintendo to present a bit the product to be launched before jumping into the details about workflow and such.

I fail a bit at following your black&white logic somehow.

I guess they need to show the product and hand out (or mail out shortly after) some official pictures and info sheets...maybe October really is to far off, but still I dont think we will get any info today. Maybe a direct end of the week or beginning of next week...

I wonder if that Zelda axe tweet is really just a coincidence. It seems weird to tease an event that, even if it is an NX presentation to retailers, won't see the light of day because of NDAs.

KAL2006

Banned
If this a hybrid another thing they need to communicate with retailers is how to market the product.

Will their be NX with TV kiosks
NX handheld kiosk with controller attached
NX tablet on its own
NX Controller detached attached Wii Remotes

Malus

What I posted in the NX reboot thread:

I mean most people in this thread know very well that we will not get any infos today. Thinking about it, IF they really talk about the NX then it probably will be about the reveal and release, like "make your websites and servers ready, we will reveal the NX in October on xth and preorder can go live then" so MAYBE we will get a leak concerning the reveal or release date, but I dont think anything more substantial will come out

I mean there were people hoping for something today before all this germany stuff started.

Ah well, let's just get October started already lol.

Baleoce

If this a hybrid another thing they need to communicate with retailers is how to market the product.

Will their be NX with TV kiosks
NX handheld kiosk with controller attached
NX tablet on its own
NX Controller detached attached Wii Remotes

That's a good question. How are retailers going to effectively convey the core experience to the public?

What I posted in the NX reboot thread:

I mean most people in this thread know very well that we will not get any infos today. Thinking about it, IF they really talk about the NX then it probably will be about the reveal and release, like "make your websites and servers ready, we will reveal the NX in October on xth and preorder can go live then" so MAYBE we will get a leak concerning the reveal or release date, but I dont think anything more substantial will come out

Surely they could communicate that sort of thing via email rather than at an event which requires European retailers to travel to a single location?

georly

Surely they could communicate that sort of thing via email rather than at an event which requires European retailers to travel to a single location?

an nx retailer event would definitely do more than that. Probably show off the different in-store demo kiosks available, mock-up boxes for all the accessories and the system itself, promotional artwork, slogan, etc, on display, to give exects and marketing people an idea of how to create planograms for them in store and how much room to allocate for the product. Seeing it in person helps with this planning, I'm sure.

Now whether that's this event, or that's already happened, or that's yet to happen, who knows, but I imagine something like this is inevitable for any new system/product line that comes to retail.

Maiar_m

Why wouldn't they discuss any feature details? I expect Nintendo to present a bit the product to be launched before jumping into the details about workflow and such.

I fail a bit at following your black&white logic somehow.

Edit: showing a new console to retailers has a purpose, showing a new console to journalists has a different purpose. For logistic reasons the former happens usually before the latter. There is no contradiction here. I don't understand what the issue is.

Alright. I didn't say it was contradictory. I'm trying to understand why they would go with retailers first. My reserves are that leaks are likely to happen (PS4 slim) and that logistics don't necessarily take that much time, plus having the public being aware of a product is a much more efficient strategy to motivate retailers into presenting your product. It isn't contradictory, I don't understand it strategically is all. And I am not aware of precedent (which is partly ignorance on my end but also maybe a sign that leaks don't happen that often through retailers either?).

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Suuuuure, "undisclosed reason".

Yeah ok, they could do it via e-mail, but if they invite all of them to the same place, they have to answers questions just once instead of hundred times...plus people like to get free stuff, and if its a trip to germany to see the new Nintendo console which no one saw to this day, you would feel good, wouldnt you?

Hermii

I wonder if that Zelda axe tweet is really just a coincidence. It seems weird to tease an event that, even if it is an NX presentation to retailers, won't see the light of day because of NDAs.

Im sure it was just whoever ran the NOE twitter that day deciding to troll Nintendo fans. It had no relation to the event.

Lucifon

I'm not seeing retailers learning about the system before the masses do. Retailers need to know a lot of more-specific information about the format that developers with dev kits don't have access to yet, so it'll have to be revealed to the masses before Nintendo goes in-depth with retailers in a few days' time. So I think the reveal has to be before October, assuming retailers are travelling to an event that's this month.

I am. They want those preorder pages and info all up ready to go for the reveal so that people can get locked in straight away.

an nx retailer event would definitely do more than that. Probably show off the different in-store demo kiosks available, mock-up boxes for all the accessories and the system itself, promotional artwork, slogan, etc, on display, to give exects and marketing people an idea of how to create planograms for them in store and how much room to allocate for the product. Seeing it in person helps with this planning, I'm sure.

Now whether that's this event, or that's already happened, or that's yet to happen, who knows, but I imagine something like this is inevitable for any new system/product line that comes to retail.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking, but I can't see it happening before everyone else knows some of these details. Or is this usually what happens before a system even gets revealed to the public?

georly

If this is the *real deal*, what do we think are the chances of somebody going rogue and spilling details early?

Real deal or not, if it's a retailer thing, it's super likely we never hear another detail about it ever. If we do, it'll be through similar rumor mill channels, probably backing up prior rumors, nothing more. Do not expect photos or anything.

For one we're not certain what this event is for, and two, we likely never will.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking, but I can't see it happening before everyone else knows some of these details. Or is this usually what happens before a system even gets revealed to the public?

Retailers (at the upper levels) usually know about products before people because they have to be ready to launch in-store marketing as soon as the info drops. Preorder now!, etc. Those posters/displays take time to print and distribute. Remember all those E3 games that got leaked because the posters arrived at gamestops early? Marketing execs had to have known about that stuff for WEEKS before E3.

I mean, there are definitely events where the public learns about it first (like when wii u was revealed 1.5 years before launch), but this close to launch? We're like 6 months away - retail needs to be ramping up too.

It's always possible nintendo doesn't care about getting marketing in stores early (to prevent leaks i guess?), but this close to the release? I say it's very likely execs from major retail chains are learning the details soon, if they haven't already.

Snaku

Banned
tumblr_nfvxs7LPtO1rfqcklo1_400.gif

JonnyKong

I always assume somebody who works for one of these retailers might send a cheeky text to their friend saying, "the NX is this blah blah", then that friend tells us all on Gaf.

But if that did happen, I don't see why we should believe them.

Jacknapes

Here's hoping it's details of the NX

However, it's most likely promotional stuff for Sun and Moon and the NES Mini.

georly

Funny how febuary is PACKED but there are NO release for march...

Just like if... a new console was coming...

sw0IPoc.png

Not like nintendo announced NX was out march 2017 forever ago.

But don't worry, that's where all the november/december titles get pushed to when they get delayed next week.

Wouldn't be surprised if south park lands in march also.

GAF's reaction to the tweet of the Bayonetta 2's director about "look forward to 9/20" as he was replying to a guy who asked if he could color a draw of Bayonetta made me think that we are getting crazy guys.

What if the NX has Xbox One looking games on a Handheld?

With carts and awesome loading times.

My wishlist:

Hardware

-720p
-GOOD image quality
-good battery life
-snappy interface

Software

-Mario Galaxy 3
-Wave Race NX
-Smash Bros Brawl 2
-Skyrim NX
-F-Zero NX
-Links Awakening 2
-Donkey Kong Country 1 Remake (with CGI Look)
-Super Metroid NX

My wishlist:

Hardware

-720p
-GOOD image quality
-good battery life
-snappy interface

Software

-Mario Galaxy 3
-Wave Race NX
-Smash Bros Brawl 2
-Skyrim NX
-F-Zero NX
-Links Awakening 2
-Super Metroid NX

Although I would prefer a nice home console than a handheld, what you suggest is pretty cool. I was gonna say Star Fox NX but the Wii U game might of put that on hold for quite a while.

TLZ

Banned

My wishlist:

Hardware

-720p
-GOOD image quality
-good battery life
-snappy interface

Software

-Mario Galaxy 3
-Wave Race NX
-Smash Bros Brawl 2
-Skyrim NX
-F-Zero NX
-Links Awakening 2
-Super Metroid NX

"It's Groundhog Daaaaaay!!"

Nesther

My wishlist:

Hardware

-720p
-GOOD image quality
-good battery life
-snappy interface

Software

-Mario Galaxy 3
-Wave Race NX
-Smash Bros Brawl 2
-Skyrim NX
-F-Zero NX
-Links Awakening 2
-Super Metroid NX

I'd love that. Gimme a Nintendo trophy system too.

EvB

GAME UK managers had to sign a Nintendo NDA at their last big conference. I'd imagine this is the same thing

Genio88

My wishlist:

Hardware

-720p
-GOOD image quality
-good battery life
-snappy interface

Software

-Mario Galaxy 3
-Wave Race NX
-Smash Bros Brawl 2
-Skyrim NX
-F-Zero NX
-Links Awakening 2
-Super Metroid NX

Those are the rumors, about same Xbox One/PS4 graphics instead i think we can forget it, it'll be more powerful than WiiU but less than the other console, though that's great to me, i don't care that much about graphics for this console, i've got a gaming PC for that, i just want the Nintendo games and Handheld form factor

Xiao Hu

My wishlist:

Hardware

-720p
-GOOD image quality
-good battery life
-snappy interface

Software

-Mario Galaxy 3
-Wave Race NX
-Smash Bros Brawl 2
-̶s̶̶k̶̶y̶̶r̶̶i̶̶m̶̶ ̶̶n̶̶x̶ Witcher 3 NX
-F-Zero NX
-Links Awakening 2
-Super Metroid NX

Ftfy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom