• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retailers are heading to Nintendo Europe in Germany for undisclosed reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could just be "hey retailers, you remember us? We are still here" with a showing of the new Animal Crossing, Mario Maker, and the Q1 games. Even if they don't have anything to show, it's active customer relationship management.

Obviously would make more sense if they also provided NX info so that these folks don't need to come again very soon.

You can already preorder Mario Maker and stuff what other info would a retailer need?

If this turns out to be a retailer showcase for games releasing this holiday season I'm going to be awfully disappointed. I mean, it's already a scarce lineup at retail once you get past Pokémon and a 3DS port of Mario Maker...

scamander

Banned
It could just be "hey retailers, you remember us? We are still here" with a showing of the new Animal Crossing, Mario Maker, and the Q1 games. Even if they don't have anything to show, it's active customer relationship management.

Obviously would make more sense if they also provided NX info so that these folks don't need to come again very soon.

It could also just be a "here's how you present the NES Mini in your store" presentation.

NES Classics Mini is developed/made in Germany. Gonna be a killer holiday product, too. It's not NX guys. Take a deep breath.

This is probably just a Q4 info meeting. Maybe an n3DS price cut. It's it's much more, then great...but keep your expectations in check.

There is no fucking way NoE would fly retailers from all over Europe to Frankfurt just for that.

oti

Banned
There is no fucking way NoE would fly retailers from all over Europe to Frankfurt just for that.

Eh, seeing how the Mini is sold out everywhere I could see Nintendo trying to gain some momentum or moment here and with the help of the retailers, who love Nintendo, to make the most out of it.

It could also be NX. Believe.

Yeah. And you could make a case that the NES didn't dominate the European market in the same way it did in North America, so I suspect it'll see a quieter release with less marketing in Europe compared with what NoA has lined up for the system. In short, I don't think NoE will have the same sales expectations for the NES Mini that NoA does.

Maiar_m

Highly doubt this to be NX-related. Retailers before press seems like too weird an approach, also not very efficient. Plus the local scope isn't really on par with a new hardware launch, is it?

Shiggy

You can already preorder Mario Maker and stuff what other info would a retailer need?

Building relationships with key retailers. By demoing products and paying their expenses, they feel more valued and should get more interested in promoting Nintendo products.

If they haven't been to NoE for some time, it could well be.

Discuss secret shipments so there can to an announcement ending with "surprise, preorders open now/ product will be in stores next week!"

In my dreams...

deleted

Eh, seeing how the Mini is sold out everywhere I could see Nintendo trying to gain some momentum or moment here and with the help of the retailers, who love Nintendo, to make the most out of it.

It could also be NX. Believe.

Yeah. And you could make a case that the NES didn't dominate the European market in the same way it did in North America, so I suspect it'll see a quieter release with less marketing in Europe compared with what NoA has lined up for the system. In short, I don't think NoE will have the same sales expectations for the NES Mini that NoA does.

This thing is already on preorder and sold out in a lot of places. Retailers already know about the demand and don't have to see this thing to create space for it.
So I somehow doubt thatit's for a thing they already sell.

Discuss secret shipments so there can to an announcement ending with "surprise, preorders open now/ product will be in stores next week!"

In my dreams...

This is what happened with the Sega Saturn (along with it being expensive and a retailer exclusive) and it backfired spectacularly. Nobody is ever going to do a (brand new) console launch like that again.

This is what happened with the Sega Saturn (along with it being expensive and a retailer exclusive) and it backfired spectacularly. Nobody is ever going to do a (brand new) console launch like that again.
To be fair... That was before the Information age. Products get launched like this now.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Retailers before press seems like too weird an approach, also not very efficient.

What? Everybody does that.

Also about the local approach, regional business is handled by regional Nintedo branches. Would you expect worldwide retailers to fly to Japan?

oti

Banned
Retailers: "So why did you bring us to Frankfurt?"
Nintendo: ...
Retailers: "WHAT IS IT?"
Nintendo: "Snake-"
Retailers: [gasp]
Nintendo: "in-"
Retailers: "NO FUCKING WAY"
Nintendo: "Smash."

Maiar_m

Was the same for PS4 Pro.

PS4 Pro really is a retailer's issue though, how do you retail a midway platform update is something worth flying retailers around and not on the same level of secrecy as a brand new console. It's still "just a PS4". I don't know, I really don't think they'd take chances that way. Plus retailers are probably the last link on the marketing chain.

What? Everybody does that.

Also about the local approach, regional business is handled by regional Nintedo branches. Would you expect worldwide retailers to fly to Japan?
Do they? Did retailers know about the original PS4 or Xbox One before the press? I'm not aware of that and missed the sources then.

Local approach for retailers-related business makes sense. I'm saying it makes less sense as the first step in the event of a new console reveal. Now if you guys tell me it's always the way it happens, why not.

Nah it will be this:

Nintendo: You all know for the last year we were secretly working on something.
Retailer thinks: here it is, Im here, the nx is here, i wish my wife was here to see that moment with me!
Nintendo: We invited you to show you something....for the last years we finally perfected it...coming in December....the vitality sensor, for 3DS and Wii U!

ekim

PS4 Pro really is a retailer's issue though, how do you retail a midway platform update is something worth flying retailers around and not on the same level of secrecy as a brand new console. It's still "just a PS4". I don't know, I really don't think they'd take chances that way. Plus retailers are probably the last link on the marketing chain.

I have a feeling it is rather the first link. You would have to make sure, they are ready when the products hit and that they are ready when you announce it so people can preorder it instantly. They also need to brief their staff about the product, get the pricing correct, get room for stock in their warehouses/stores. What is the marketing approach from Nintendo (colors, boxart design, will WiiU stuff be removed?) etc

oti

Banned
I think that this reinforces the October reveal as the more likely.

If this is NX related I'd think this is the start of the marketing campaign. Retailers first, then just a few days later the official reveal. No matter how good the NDA is, the danger of leaks is just too big.

Kuraudo

Banned

Cue trailer featuring the snake from Blockade and all it derivatives.

Neiteio

This is the dream. Snake in Smash NX would be the perfect way to cap off my MGS series marathon.

Update his moveset so I can perform Fulton extractions on other characters.
Followed by Kaz asking, "You gonna extract him?"

This thing is already on preorder and sold out in a lot of places. Retailers already know about the demand and don't have to see this thing to create space for it.
So I somehow doubt thatit's for a thing they already sell.

Yeah, retailers know an awful lot about the device already and it's simple enough in concept and execution to not require some sort of on-site demo or presentation.

I think that this reinforces the October reveal as the more likely.

I'm not seeing retailers learning about the system before the masses do. Retailers need to know a lot of more-specific information about the format that developers with dev kits don't have access to yet, so it'll have to be revealed to the masses before Nintendo goes in-depth with retailers in a few days' time. So I think the reveal has to be before October, assuming retailers are travelling to an event that's this month.

If this is NX related I'd think this is the start of the marketing campaign. Retailers first, then just a few days later the official reveal. No matter how good the NDA is, the danger of leaks is jusg too big.

If that were the case then I think it would make sense. Gives them enough time to get their websites/preorder pages ready.

Neiteio

I want Konami to put the MGSV: Definitive Edition (GZ + TPP) on the NX.

200+ hours and I'm still not bored of TPP. To me it's a modern-day SM64. Having a portable version would be amazing.

Maiar_m

I have a feeling it is rather the first link. You would have to make sure, they are ready when the products hit and that they are ready when you announce it so people can preorder it instantly. They also need to brief their staff about the product, get the pricing correct, get room for stock in their warehouses/stores. What is the marketing approach from Nintendo (colors, boxart design, will WiiU stuff be removed?) etc

I get your idea, but wouldn't much of that effort be taken care of by communicating about the console through the usual media? Sure there are retailer-specific issues at hand as you've rightfully said, but are these relevant 6 month ahead of release? I really don't know. If that's the way the industry is know to work, it's interesting news to me either way. I don't see Nintendo risking a PS4 Slim-type leak though.

That's the point. It's not a reveal. It's most probably a business meeting to prepare the reveal, pre-orders and supply for the launch.

Oh, so unlike ekim, you're not expecting them to actually discuss any feature details? Just commercial workflow details? Isn't that even more weird as retailers wouldn't know if it's worth betting on the product yet with so little to base their decisions on?

oti

Banned
If that were the case then I think it would make sense. Gives them enough time to get their websites/preorder pages ready.

Nintendo could just go "screw retailers, here's the reveal deal with it" but historically they have had a good relationship and after Wii U they have to get them back on board to some degree.

What I posted in the NX reboot thread:

I mean most people in this thread know very well that we will not get any infos today. Thinking about it, IF they really talk about the NX then it probably will be about the reveal and release, like "make your websites and servers ready, we will reveal the NX in October on xth and preorder can go live then" so MAYBE we will get a leak concerning the reveal or release date, but I dont think anything more substantial will come out

georly

So a Pokémon themed furry convention. 'Electrocute me again Pikachu."
tumblr_nq5lc0K9yE1qkz08qo4_540.gif

sharks.png

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh, so unlike ekim, you're not expecting them to actually discuss any feature details? Just commercial workflow details? Isn't that even more weird as retailers wouldn't know if it's worth betting on the product yet with so little to base their decisions on?

Why wouldn't they discuss any feature details? I expect Nintendo to present a bit the product to be launched before jumping into the details about workflow and such.

I fail a bit at following your black&white logic somehow.

Edit: showing a new console to retailers has a purpose, showing a new console to journalists has a different purpose. For logistic reasons the former happens usually before the latter. There is no contradiction here. I don't understand what the issue is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom