• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

televator

So I went to buy an NTSC Sega Genesis, they all had Pal, couldn't find an Snes mini as well and got really upset because I had this money for retro stuff and couldn't find anything to buy with.

As I sighed in the store I felt I hit something below me, it was an original Xbox laying on the floor that was just brought in by someone

Now I have an Xbox with no games I want to play on...

Please recommend me some Xbox games.

The black box of doom has chosen you. Trully, this was fate. Join us in the Xbox appreciation thread. Play KotOR, JSRF, Panzer Dragoon, Pro Skater 2x... I have a feeling you'll like playing Silent Hill 2 just for curiosity of the differences too.

Things you must also do: Find component cables, soft mod, upgrade the HDD, install an 80pin ribbon, and play your games off the HDD with greatly reduced load times. Also, no more region worries, only dreams now.

So I went to buy an NTSC Sega Genesis, they all had Pal, couldn't find an Snes mini as well and got really upset because I had this money for retro stuff and couldn't find anything to buy with.

As I sighed in the store I felt I hit something below me, it was an original Xbox laying on the floor that was just brought in by someone

Exclusives:
Halo / Halo 2 (these are on a very short list of shooters I like)
Ninja Gaiden Black

Good or Best multiplatforms:
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2
Beyond Good and Evil
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Shenmue 2
Soul Calibur 2
Splinter Cell (all 4 on Xbox, Double Agent is a completely different game from the 360 version)
Syberia 1 + 2

Brhoom

Banned
Exclusives:
Halo / Halo 2 (these are on a very short list of shooters I like)
Ninja Gaiden Black

Good or Best multiplatforms:
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2
Beyond Good and Evil
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Shenmue 2
Soul Calibur 2
Splinter Cell (all 4 on Xbox, Double Agent is a completely different game from the 360 version)
Syberia 1 + 2

Thanks! I got my eyes on PoP.

The black box of doom has chosen you. Trully, this was fate. Join us in the Xbox appreciation thread. Play KotOR, JSRF, Panzer Dragoon, Pro Skater 2x... I have a feeling you'll like playing Silent Hill 2 just for curiosity of the differences too.

Things you must also do: Find component cables, soft mod, upgrade the HDD, install an 80pin ribbon, and play your games off the HDD with greatly reduced load times. Also, no more region worries, only dreams now.

Will do! The store told me it can play burned CDs, does that mean it is softmodded?

Will do! The store told me it can play burned CDs, does that mean it is softmodded?

They're probably referring to the CD player functionality, chances are it's not softmodded.

Either way, you're going to want to softmod it and install an HDD. The OG Xbox disc drive is so extremely unreliable; worse than the PS2's in my experience.

Televator has good advice, follow what he said. The 80 pin IDE upgrade is absolutely worth it too, don't sleep on that!

Recommended games:
Burnout 3
Pro Skater 2x, 3, 4
Outrun 2
Ninja gaiden black
NFL 2K5
Panzer dragoon orta
Crimson Skies
Crazy taxi 3
Jet set radio future

And many more...Very underrated retro console imo

dubc35

RalliSport Challenge 2 if you remotely like racing games.

I sold my og xbox a long time ago but bought another last year just for RS2.

Can anyone here attest to how well the OSSC works with the ps2?, my tv murders 480i signals and forcing 1080i or a progressive signal via GSM is hit or miss.

I've got the OEM component cables if that helps.

Brhoom

Banned
Thanks for the advice and help guys.

I just bought a lot of cables and two switchers from Amazon, so I'll wait till next month to mod my Xbox. I swear I read someware about xbox leaking something if I don't change it, anyone got a clue on what I'm talking about lol.

I just bought a lot of cables and two switchers from Amazon, so I'll wait till next month to mod my Xbox. I swear I read someware about xbox leaking something if I don't change it, anyone got a clue on what I'm talking about lol.

The capacitors in the older models (pre 2004 I think) are low quality and will fail relatively fast. There's one in particular that is very large and it's only job is to keep the clock running between power downs, and even then it doesn't do a great job. That cap is notorious for already having failed and leaking a lot of electrolytic fluid over the board and corroding traces.

You need a set of torx screwdrivers (at least a 20 and 10) to get into there but the recommend action is to remove it even by just forcing it out. If you're lucky you may have a 1.6 revision which doesn't have that cap at all and has better caps altogether, but it's a bit harder to do some mods (bios stuff) or in some cases impossible like with the memory expansion mod.

televator

Oh, right. The clock capacitor. You can just wiggle it off the board. If you see any goo on the board just whipe it off with an alcohol rag.
43054-IMG-20151014-023037-jpg
Pretty much all boxes have the concentric circles underneath them so it's easy to find it. If you have a revision 1.6 though, you don't really need to worry about it because the cap is different and you won't even find it in the same place.

Galdelico

Took these shots to help a dude over at SHMUPS forums, so I thought to drop them here as well, to encourage some hesitant OSSC buyer to pull the trigger... :D

MDFF2_zpshom5jqbe.jpg

(Garou Densetsu 2 - Mega Drive)

MDGH_zpsbb91cj3v.jpg

(Gunstar Heroes - Mega Drive)

SatSFZ2_zpsont6i0wd.jpg

(Street Fighter Zero 2' - Saturn)

Vespa

Great shots, Galdelico! I'm still waiting on sorting out my Saturn to try on the OSSC.

@Peltz Graphics Synthesizer Mode Selector (aka: GSM). Let's you force a bunch of video modes with varying degrees of success. I managed to get Sega's Route 66 to output in 480p for the one fan out there who might care. I was interested in using it with Ridge Racer V and Virtua Fighter 4 Evo but I don't think they can be forced.

bobble

Took these shots to help a dude over at SHMUPS forums, so I thought to drop them here as well, to encourage some hesitant OSSC buyer to pull the trigger... :D

Dang!! Mine is on the way... what settings are these screens at (% of scanlines and stuff)

Looks great!

Must play exclusives(that aren't already mentioned
Otogi
Otogi 2
Unreal Championship 2 The Liandri Conflict
Mech Assault
GunValkyrie
Kindom Under Fire: The Crusaders/Heroes
Deathrow

Honorable Mentions(mainly because some of these have overall visually better ports and some are multiplatform)
Jade Empire
Escape from Butchers Bay
Phantom Dust
Half Life 2
Outrun 2 Coast 2 Coast
SSX3
Amped 2
Psychonauts
PGR2
Far Cry Instincts
Burnout Revenge
Spiderman 2
Timesplitters 2
Midnight Club 3 DUB editions
Guilty Gear X2 Reload
Mercenaries
Rainbow Six 3
KOTOR 2
The Warriors
Hitman 2
X-Men Legends 2
Dead Or Alive Ultimate 2
NBA Street Volume 2
Freedom Fighters
Mech Assault 2
Darkwatch

Already mentioned but worth re-mentioning because they are must-plays IMO
KOTOR
NGB
Halo
Halo 2
Splinter Cell 3 Chaos Theory
Crimson Skies High Road to Revenge

edit: If I had more time, I could make a more comprehensive list as I know I'm missing stuff but these all came off the top of my head atm. Hope it'a good start for you

KingErich

Banned
I have been doing some more research on finding affordable SVideo cables for the SNES, N64, and Gamecube. I have an idea as to what is causing the checkerboard problems on the cables. My guess is that cheap thin gauged wire is a huge cause. My other guess is because on most cables I have tried out, only one ground is connected. I know a lot of people say that the cause is because the composite pin is connected to chroma or luma pin. I have yet to find a cable that has that problem.

Does anyone out there have an Nintendo or Monster SVideo cable and a multi meter to verify if both ground pins are connected on either of those? It should be pins 5&6 connected to pins 1 and 2 on the SVideo cable.

I got my OSSC today and I was literally blown away with how good the picture quality was on my old consoles via RGB, especially the Genesis, my TV (Samsung UN32EH4003F) even works with the SNES perfectly fine.

I did experience some visual noise when playing through a scart switch, but enabling a digital noise filter got rid of the problem entirely; barely any input lag was added with it.

Galdelico

Dang!! Mine is on the way... what settings are these screens at (% of scanlines and stuff)

Looks great!

Thanks. ;)
That's LineX3 on a 4K PC monitor (LG27MU67), with scanlines at 100%... They look just fine at a lesser strenght too, say around 30/50%, but I find them maxed up in Line Triple to look the best on my display, especially at the distance I use to play. In LineX4 - once you get past 25% - they noticeably dim the colors, while in LineX5 they look thin and not genuine, which I'm not really a fan of.

It's down to personal preferences, of course, but to me, those settings (with the subtle amount of image softness provided by the display itself) get really close to what my Trinitron CRT TVs used to display, so I'm very happy with the result.

Crynox

Neo Member
They're probably referring to the CD player functionality, chances are it's not softmodded.

Either way, you're going to want to softmod it and install an HDD. The OG Xbox disc drive is so extremely unreliable; worse than the PS2's in my experience.

Televator has good advice, follow what he said. The 80 pin IDE upgrade is absolutely worth it too, don't sleep on that!

Recommended games:
Burnout 3
Pro Skater 2x, 3, 4
Outrun 2
Ninja gaiden black
NFL 2K5
Panzer dragoon orta
Crimson Skies
Crazy taxi 3
Jet set radio future

And many more...Very underrated retro console imo

Can anyone link me to a 80pin compatible cable ? I bought one but got burned as the connector that plugs into the dvd drive was the wrong way round and no amount of cable twisting could make it fit...

televator

Can anyone link me to a 80pin compatible cable ? I bought one but got burned as the connector that plugs into the dvd drive was the wrong way round and no amount of cable twisting could make it fit...

Was it a ribbon style? You should be able to nearly flatten the cable to get some necessary turns. Try plugging in the DVD drive first and twisting the mobo connection end instead.

Edit: Shin got a good post.

Kawika

I got my OSSC today and I was literally blown away with how good the picture quality was on my old consoles via RGB, especially the Genesis, my TV even works with the SNES perfectly fine.

I did experience some visual noise when playing through a scart switch, but enabling a digital noise filter got rid of the problem entirely; barely any input lag was added with it.

Which TV do you have? I think going forward all OSSC posts should have a make a model because there seems to be a lot of incompatibility that is keeping some from pulling the trigger on this device.

Which TV do you have? I think going forward all OSSC posts should have a make a model because there seems to be a lot of incompatibility that is keeping some from pulling the trigger on this device.

Samsung UN32EH4003F

Line4x works too, but my TV settings are limited if I do; digital noise will always be there in that case. The OSSC also stretches the aspect ratio to 16:9 in this mode too, not much of a problem since I can use the TV and force it back to 4:3, even then, Line3x is more than enough for my setup.

Crynox

Neo Member
Have you seen this tutorial, it has a pretty good explanation of how to fold it and how many times.

http://web-nine.com/projects/xbox/ide/

Thanks for the guide, very helpful I will try again.

Was it a ribbon style? You should be able to nearly flatten the cable to get some necessary turns. Try plugging in the DVD drive first and twisting the mobo connection end instead.

Edit: Shin got a good post.

Yes it was a ribbon cable, I just ended up with one of the connectors the wrong way around. Can you open them up and reverse them ? I thought you might be able to but didn't try..

Got my OSSC, worked perfectly in 3x (720p) mode with my 2008 Pioneer Kuro plasma (model PDP-5020FD). It worked with both SNES and Famicom. 4x didn't work at all and 5x displayed a bunch of garbage on the screen attempting to sync.

The scaling of 720p to 1080p by my set of course causes some moderate artifacts that are apparent when using scanlines; some of them appear slightly thicker/softer. Of course a 4K set ideally should not have these issues as 2160 divides evenly by 720.

240p passthru does not display on my set despite the fact that 240p over component DOES display properly.

The OSSC definitely results in a crisper image than 240p component on my set. I think the Kuro really softens low res component when scaling it up.

I'm really, really curious as to how the OSSC works with the 2016 and 2017 LG OLED sets but I can't find any evidence of anyone trying them together.

Vespa

I'm really, really curious as to how the OSSC works with the 2016 and 2017 LG OLED sets but I can't find any evidence of anyone trying them together.

I think Bahn Yuki has some impressions on his channel with LG OLEDs.

I had some artifacts with scanlines in x4 mode but got some help from Harrumph who gave me some tips on making them look right. This was on a SXGA pc-LCD monitor so might not work out on your Kuro.

ToD_

Got my OSSC, worked perfectly in 3x (720p) mode with my 2008 Pioneer Kuro plasma (model PDP-5020FD). It worked with both SNES and Famicom. 4x didn't work at all and 5x displayed a bunch of garbage on the screen attempting to sync.

The scaling of 720p to 1080p by my set of course causes some moderate artifacts that are apparent when using scanlines; some of them appear slightly thicker/softer. Of course a 4K set ideally should not have these issues as 2160 divides evenly by 720.

240p passthru does not display on my set despite the fact that 240p over component DOES display properly.

The OSSC definitely results in a crisper image than 240p component on my set. I think the Kuro really softens low res component when scaling it up.

Good to hear 720p is working for you. On my Kuro it doesn't play as nice - with the SNES, at least.

In order to get even scanlines on my Kuro I have to stretch out the image quite a bit with the DVDO Edge (external scaler), which means some lines will get cropped. It actually seems to be identical to the line5x 1080p crop mode when I stretch some of the other modes. It is totally fine with the majority of SNES games and probably most consoles, since some overscan was probably expected. The Neo-Geo often has some information displayed near the borders, however.

Testing this on my 1440p monitor results in perfectly spaced lines regardless of what mode I choose. So this makes me hopeful 4k screens will generally do well with the scaling too. Still not sure if I like using scanlines on the OSSC, however, since it dims the picture substantially and colors look less saturated on the Kuro.

Still not sure if I like using scanlines on the OSSC, however, since it dims the picture substantially and colors look less saturated on the Kuro.

I still prefer (thin) scanlines but since they'll not be perfect on the Kuro straight from the OSSC in 720p I'm not using them. Just going with full chunky pixels.

It's not really that important anyway since I'm selling the Kuro this summer and going OLED.

I think Bahn Yuki has some impressions on his channel with LG OLEDs.

Wow, checking out his Analogue NT Mini and OSSC footage with the LGs gives me a real chubby. I'd order my set today but I'm buying a new car this month and summer is going to be so busy I'm just going to wait until probably around September; prices will come down.

Brhoom

Banned
Thanks guys for the help! Didn't expect do much replies becuase I didn't think there was love for the Xbox here.

I might buy another CRT this weekned, just to make sure, 480p is a big NO for 240p and 480i gaming right?

Any 480p CRT will not handle 240p and 480i like a 480i CRT would right?

televator

Thanks guys for the help! Didn't expect do much replies becuase I didn't think there was love for the Xbox here.

I might buy another CRT this weekned, just to make sure, 480p is a big NO for 240p and 480i gaming right?

Truefact: I hated Xbox. I got one because I REALLY wanted to play JSRF after so many years waiting for a port to no avail. Plus the first one I found used only cost me 5 bucks. lol

It has become one of my favorite systems. I...I might like it more now than the Dreamcast and Saturn. I like it more than PS2 and Gamecube even. It is compelling hardware with an under appreciated library and lends itself to ease of use hacks very readily.

I still prefer (thin) scanlines but since they'll not be perfect on the Kuro straight from the OSSC in 720p I'm not using them. Just going with full chunky pixels.

It's not really that important anyway since I'm selling the Kuro this summer and going OLED.

Wow, checking out his Analogue NT Mini and OSSC footage with the LGs gives me a real chubby. I'd order my set today but I'm buying a new car this month and summer is going to be so busy I'm just going to wait until probably around September; prices will come down.

I've got the OLED / Analogue NT mini combo (65E6P) although I haven't had a lot of retro gaming time with it yet.

Looks really nice. Running scanlines on but at minimum depth. Using the 5x/6x scaling as recommended in some of the review videos.

2017 OLED prices probably won't hit 2016 prices until this time next year (except maybe on Black Friday).

Brhoom

Banned
Wait, only HD CRTs support 480p?

Truefact: I hated Xbox. I got one because I REALLY wanted to play JSRF after so many years waiting for a port to no avail. Plus the first one I found used only cost me 5 bucks. lol

It has become one of my favorite systems. I...I might like it more now than the Dreamcast and Saturn. I like it more than PS2 and Gamecube even. It is compelling hardware with an under appreciated library and lends itself to ease of use hacks very readily.

I bought it for 75$...

Mega

Banned

No, some 480p sets handle SD content without any extra processing or lag. The ones that do progressive scan (480p+) and also 240p/480i tend to be highly sought after and pricey. You may want to take some of the recommendations from a bit earlier and just get an inexpensive CRT computer monitor, although I'm not sure how you go about connecting your new Xbox to it.

Galdelico

Still not sure if I like using scanlines on the OSSC, however, since it dims the picture substantially and colors look less saturated on the Kuro.
Good to know 1440p monitors work fine with the OSSC too. I'll soon be replacing my old Asus 1080p, and I was looking at a couple of 2K displays, also to fully upgrade from 24" to 27.

Now, about the scanlines. Is it me, or the dimming is way more prominent in LineX2/X4? I ruled them out in LineX5 only because they look too thin and artificial, but I found out they don't really impact brightness and saturation that much, while in that mode and in LineX3 too (which is currently my setting of choice). I mean, I can't really tell a substantial difference from around 30% to full 100%, in Line Triple, whereas I can clearly see the image getting less and less saturated (to the point it becomes objectively dull with maxed scanlines) in LineX2/4.

Also, as I found out the hard way, check the sharpness setting on the picture mode of your TV/monitor, if scanlines may look odd right out of the box (especially if you have an older 1080p set). On my Asus, having sharpness anywhere over 10% makes them look uneven.

I'm going to cross post this here and in the NES thread but Kevtris has updated the HiDefNES' firmware and added 4 new Palettes.

Here's the info copied and pasted from his post on the NESDev forum.

"Well here it is, after 14 months!

http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/HiDef ... 20beta.nes

Changes:

* Audio DC level restoration to fix some monitors that'd be silent or have other weird audio volume issues.
* FDS channel redone to be hopefully more accurate.
* DPCM fixed to allow retriggering.
* Address bus filtering fixed so that graphical/palette glitches should be a thing of the past.
* PAL pixel capturing fixed.
* 4 new palettes added.
* Removed interpolation and associated menu. I needed the logic gates in the FPGA to fix the other things.

I tested 5 sets of PAL chips- 1 set always worked, but the other 4 had minor to very severe "speckling". These are all working perfectly now.
I tested 3 sets of "laser H rev" parts as found in the newest AV famicoms (I think) and they are all working perfect now as well.

This should fix all the problems people had I hope.

This update is a beta because I am not 100% sure I didn't break something else relating to DPCM, so if I did please let me know.

The four new palettes are:

Firebrand X NTSC
Firebrand X PVM D93
RGBSOURCE Hybrid
RGBSOURCE NESCAP

The original 4 palettes are still in there of course.

Hope that's enough because this thing is fulllllllll up. There is absolutely no room left anywhere. I have scavenged it all. btw,
the xray mode is "free" so it doesn't use any logic elements. It's the internal decisions being made about the HQX stuff. It's basically detecting edges."

I know I'm super excited to try out the Firebrand X PVM D93 Palette since that one is for digital displays to look like an RGB modded NES on a PVM.

I have been doing some more research on finding affordable SVideo cables for the SNES, N64, and Gamecube. I have an idea as to what is causing the checkerboard problems on the cables. My guess is that cheap thin gauged wire is a huge cause. My other guess is because on most cables I have tried out, only one ground is connected. I know a lot of people say that the cause is because the composite pin is connected to chroma or luma pin. I have yet to find a cable that has that problem.

Does anyone out there have an Nintendo or Monster SVideo cable and a multi meter to verify if both ground pins are connected on either of those? It should be pins 5&6 connected to pins 1 and 2 on the SVideo cable.

Have you recieved the cable from Sweden yet? Still waiting on mine.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

KingErich

Banned
Have you recieved the cable from Sweden yet? Still waiting on mine.

No, not yet. I did not check the mail yesterday. I will tonight though. One guy said it took 10 days to get to him. Not sure where he lives. I am on the West Coast. I am excited to test it out.

I also went crazy and pre-ordered a Framemeister. I kind of regret it now..... I'll be using SVideo at first and go RGB when I can. I hope it is worth the money and the wait.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Can anyone identify this model?

cZKVbIX.jpg

Buying things on craigslist is super annoying when they don't list any info. Looks like a 20"?

No, not yet. I did not check the mail yesterday. I will tonight though. One guy said it took 10 days to get to him. Not sure where he lives. I am on the West Coast. I am excited to test it out.

I also went crazy and pre-ordered a Framemeister. I kind of regret it now..... I'll be using SVideo at first and go RGB when I can. I hope it is worth the money and the wait.

Hope its good, just picked up a gamecube so planning to buy another if it ends up positive.

I contemplated the framemeister but blew too much cash recently, maybe further down the year. Definitely post your impressions when you recieve it!

Teknoman

That scart to component converter the guy from the neo geo forums made is much better / more dependable than the usual from Amazon?

Brhoom

Banned
Ugh. All the CRTs here are Pal and "Asian"

I can't find anything on them online. I don't want to end up with an HD CRT.

Is there a place to search for PAL CRT?

I just want to add that Urban Chaos Riot Response is also really worth a check out on the Xbox as it's the best version available and it never got a port. It never received a huge amount of praise but it has an amazing feeling pistol that packs a huge punch and it has the hands down best feeling riot shield in all of gaming to date.

Also it was made by the same peeps who made the Arkham series and is actually the reason I gave Arkham Asylum a look at in the first place.

Graphics have aged ok but they look mighty sharp on a CRT still.

kubev

I just received my Framemeister today. I tried testing it with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on Sega Saturn. I have the Sega Saturn hooked up through SCART, with the Framemeister set to 1080p60 output. I've noticed that the screen occasionally goes black while playing. This got worse when I tried going into the inventory menu. (I believe that the game resolution may change in menus. Not sure, though.) I'm using an HDMI cable that I know to not be defective, and it's capable of 4K60, so I doubt that it's a bandwidth issue for the cable. Any idea as to what could be causing this? Any possible solutions or changes to settings? I've updated to the lastest version of the Framemeister firmware (in English), for the record.

I just received my Framemeister today. I tried testing it with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on Sega Saturn. I have the Sega Saturn hooked up through SCART, with the Framemeister set to 1080p60 output. I've noticed that the screen occasionally goes black while playing. This got worse when I tried going into the inventory menu. (I believe that the game resolution may change in menus. Not sure, though.) I'm using an HDMI cable that I know to not be defective, and it's capable of 4K60, so I doubt that it's a bandwidth issue for the cable. Any idea as to what could be causing this? Any possible solutions or changes to settings? I've updated to the lastest version of the Framemeister firmware (in English), for the record.

IIRC the pause menu is 480i while the game is 240p. Framemeiseter has this issues with games that swap resolutions (same thing would happent in Chrono Cross gameplay vs. menus, Sonic 2 splitscreen, etc).

kubev

IIRC the pause menu is 480i while the game is 240p. Framemeiseter has this issues with games that swap resolutions (same thing would happent in Chrono Cross gameplay vs. menus, Sonic 2 splitscreen, etc).

Bummer. Should that persist after I'm back to game play, though? Does the Framemeister's performance vary based on its output resolution, out of curiosity?

KingErich

Banned

How long did it take from ordering it to getting it in your hands? Did you do the preorder thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom