• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro City Rampage sales breakdown

PSN

- $600,000 earned across over 35,000 units

PC

- $400,000 from over 40,000 copies sold

Xbox Live Arcade

- $200,000 earned across 15,000 units sold

WiiWare

- under $100,000 with fewer than 5,000 units sold
- sales currently sit around 97,000 total
- total sales will expected to break $100,000 next week

So it wasn't a $20,000 gift at the end for WiiWare users, since he luckily is making more money. Also apparently PSN version made him the most money without accounting for PS+, the number is across both PS3 and Vita.

Also:

Provinciano said he spent the most development time on the Xbox Live Arcade port, on a platform he called the most expensive. "Knowing what I know now, I would've skipped it," he said. Though he considered the WiiWare version a $20,000 gift to fans, the XBLA port ended up costing more.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/where-retro-city-rampage-made-its-money/

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's hard to really judge each platform for sales merit, because the release dates were so staggered.

I bought the PSN version because it was first. I might have bought XBLA if it were.

Persona7

Banned
How much do developers get for games on Playstation Plus? They were pushing RCR pretty hard on the PSN store and even the scrolling text ad box on the menus.

I hate to ask, but is this how much he has made or just the number of sales added up?

Well, the game is 15 dollars so 35k x 15 on PSN is 525000 and that doesn't even account for all the cuts that are taken off the top.

PC : 40k x 15 is 600k, I got a gog key through the humble bundle store at $9.99.

Tiktaalik

He's been really vocal about how surprisingly easy it was to get everything running on the Vita. It's no wonder we're seeing so many indies flocking to that platform at the moment.

sangreal

It's hard to really judge each platform for sales merit, because the release dates were so staggered.

I bought the PSN version because it was first. I might have bought XBLA if it were.

Right, the release schedule and the low overall sales makes this data pretty useless for any comparative analysis but it is still interesting. I thought developers were generally barred from releasing this data, which is why we dont have many better comparisons

HoosTrax

It was strange to watch this game get completely overshadowed by Hotline Miami, at least on PC. Almost no one seems to talk about it. I have no idea if it was any good, although I did hear some rumblings that it was a minor disappointment.

Edit: for comparison, Hotline Miami had sold 130,000 copies by December 11, 2012. Both games launched the same week.

saunderez

Yeah I bought it on PC due to the delay instead of 360 so that's a -1. He should never have staggered the releases like that.

Takao

Banned
Yeah I bought it on PC due to the delay instead of 360 so that's a -1. He should never have staggered the releases like that.

Not his fault on the XBLA front. He waited on Microsoft for months to get a slot, and they wouldn't so Brian just released it on PSN/Steam.

Whats up with XBLA sales being super down recently?

Is everyone just buying Minecraft?

Ever since Minecraft 360 was released I have heard this story for a bunch of games.

Hero

Not sure why he released this on Wii Ware instead of eShop on Wii U or 3DS. Would've bought it for either.

Sandfox

Ever since Minecraft 360 was released I have heard this story for a bunch of games.

I think its more of a combination of people just starting to speak up now and the other companies actually improving their services.

sangreal

This game was timed exclusive on PSN and didn't sell much on any platform. It's under 100,000 combined. It's at 35k PSN and 15k XBL sales. Neither is anything to write home about

sangreal

It was PSN/Steam on the same day.

The post I was replying to was about XBLA so I was talking about consoles. It could be on any number of platforms in addition to PSN day one, but that doesn't change my point about XBLA sales since it wasn't on that platform.

The game is a little too retro for my tastes, but I respect him for keeping his promise to release it on WiiWare even if the odds were against him. Now he should try to release it on the Wii U/3DS eShop!

JDSN

Banned
I like this game because it's the climax of retro indie shallow shit and its so bad people will hopefully loose interest in this style.

Retro is the indie dev's FPS.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Didn't the game release way later on Wiiware? Like almost half a year from pc/psn and a couple of months after xbla? I'm surprised it sold that much then, especially since it was widely known the game was bad by that point...

So apparently Sony has the lowest fees? XBLA or Steam at 35,000 units wouldn't be as profitable as PSN according to this data.

Persona7

Banned
Not sure why he released this on Wii Ware instead of eShop on Wii U or 3DS. Would've bought it for either.

Probably wasn't worth the extra thousands for development kits and certification on top of thousands more for the development costs to port it.

saunderez

I like this game because it's the climax of retro indie shallow shit and its so bad people will hopefully loose interest in this style.

Retro is the indie dev's FPS.
I love retro but RCR was just kinda boring. Gimme a new Pacman game any day though.

sangreal

So apparently Sony has the lowest fees? XBLA or Steam at 35,000 units wouldn't be as profitable as PSN according to this data.

Sales, probably. Of course, PS+ had the ultimate sale with the game being free, but those numbers aren't included here while presumably other sales are.

MisterHero

I thought the demo was pretty good but Arcade Mode should've been the focus. Does Arcade last longer in the full version?

if his game was good it would of made tons of money on XBLA

Skulls of the Shogun failed to make even 10000 on XBLA. Sine Mora with an 83 Metacritic sold about the same as RDR on XBLA. Conversely Deadlight which was by many accounts shit sold a lot more.

Saying that, the sales on PSN and Steam are nothing to write home about either. Especially PSN, which he was praising to high heaven. I'm starting to think if a game quickly goes to PS+ it means it has bombed.

GulAtiCa

I bought it on WiiWare last month. I liked it. So since that is at nearly $100k, does that mean he met the threshold limit?

I'm glad Brian succeeded with his game especially on WiiWare. I can't comment on the game since I haven't played it yet even though I own it due to PS+.

I hope his next game is a little bit more well received.

Xellos

I really liked this game when I played through it last month (WiiWare). Nice to see it was a successful game for the developer.

SparkTR

The game was okay. What hurt it was the staggered release dates (didn't it not appear on the Euro PSN store for weeks?), Hotline Miami on PC which overshadowed this game on Steam (HM sold something like 135k copies on Steam, more than this did with every platform combined), and the lukewarm critical reaction.

Top Bottom