• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro City Rampage sales breakdown

NotLiquid

Honestly surprised the game sold at all on WiiWare. It's the last major WiiWare release at the end of the console's lifetime, it was guaranteed to generate little to no numbers.

Jac_Solar

Isn't the game also mission-structured, but in an open world? Like, you go to a certain point, get a mission, and then you get sent to an instanced/separate area.

I understand that the game wanted to go for a retro feel, but my first impression upon playing was that it would have benefited from having some higher resolution sprites, 3d, or even cell shading. I only played it for like 10 minutes though.

NotLiquid

Isn't the game also mission-structured, but in an open world? Like, you go to a certain point, get a mission, and then you get sent to an instanced/separate area.

I understand that the game wanted to go for a retro feel, but my first impression upon playing was that it would have benefited from having some higher resolution sprites, 3d, or even cell shading. I only played it for like 10 minutes though.

It's not a very fun game to look at and it gets incredibly disorientating. The first 10 minutes are probably those you'll laugh the most at because of the unexpected barrage of references but that is the extent of the entire humor. Gameplay-wise it does a really poor job pacing itself and it's not that great due to some dodgy controls.

Most of the fun I get playing it is because of how silly it is and how the concept is relatively charming, but the game is honestly a bit of a mess, and not because it's trying to emulate some old school style.

saunderez

The game wasn't released on XBLA because MS were taking their time allocating a slot and he got fed up waiting. Ironically it launched in the US on PSN on the same day as Machinarium, Joe Danger 2, Walking Dead pt 4, Derrick the Deathfin and a couple of other PSN games so he faced a fair bit of competition.
The game that was released on XBLA was not the same game that was originally released on PSN. The game was changed after the initial launch, we have no idea how much further that delayed things because it would have required a complete recert.

It was done though wasnt it it was just the case of not having a slot for it. EU psn cert is bonkers, we still dont have csgo ffs.

As mentioned, changes made following feedback from the US PSN and Steam release.

We obviously don't know exactly what happened, so we can't get into specifics, but we do know bits, like how it was held up waiting for a slot for months and that it was the most expensive version. You don't think Microsoft can improve themselves in that regard?

Also, cert != QA. SCEE do seem to have some sort of crossover but Microsoft and SCEA are far more concerned with developers complying with their standards than running perfectly. So long as they tick all their boxes, they don't give a shit about crippling bugs (which is why Skyrim PS3 still got released, even in Europe).

Changes were made however, so it does bring into question just what was happening. It's possible he submitted for cert, as it was releasing on US PSN and Steam, noticed the less than great feedback and decided to make some changes.

I fully agree that Microsoft need to change their policies, especially in the face of what both Sony and Nintendo have done, but I don't believe we can pin the blame for RCR and its delayed release at their door.

The game wasn't released on XBLA because MS were taking their time allocating a slot and he got fed up waiting. Ironically it launched in the US on PSN on the same day as Machinarium, Joe Danger 2, Walking Dead pt 4, Derrick the Deathfin and a couple of other PSN games so he faced a fair bit of competition.

As mentioned above, some changes were made to the game before it came out on Live Arcade.

beril

Eh? WiiWare numbers? Someone go ask beril/skullomania for sales figures for their eShop/DSiWare releases.

Gunman Clive has sold a bit more in total; but made way less money (much lower price)

Also I don't really get how those revenue figures make any sense; I'm assuming he's counting the full price including the cut the platform holders take, but even then he seems to be making a lot more than 15$ per game on some platforms. I guess inflated Euro prices places plays a part, but VAT usually means the difference isn't that great.

GRW810

Gunman Clive has sold a bit more in total; but made way less money (much lower price)

Also I don't really get how those revenue figures make any sense; I'm assuming he's counting the full price including the cut the platform holders take, but even then he seems to be making a lot more than 15$ per game on some platforms. I guess inflated Euro prices places plays a part, but VAT usually means the difference isn't that great.
Beril can you comment on Nintendo's policy on developers releasing sales figures? It was a big no-no in the days of WiiWare but it seems more relaxed now. Is it allowed, or still frowned upon but not as seriously as before?

beril

Beril can you comment on Nintendo's policy on developers releasing sales figures? It was a big no-no in the days of WiiWare but it seems more relaxed now. Is it allowed, or still frowned upon but not as seriously as before?

I don't really know to be honest

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

So, this means Gunman Clive sold around 100k across iOS, Android and 3DS, no?

rjc571

Banned
Why does the article say the Wiiware version has earned less than $100,000 with less than 5000 units sold? The Wii version only costs $10. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say less than $50,000 earned? (Or $0 earned since it didn't reach the sales threshhold.)
Excuse my ignorance but who is skullomania? I know of Beril as the developer of Gunman Clive but what has skullomania made? Haven't come across the name on here before.

Developer of Go! Go! Kokopolo aka the best indie game you've never heard of.

GRW810

Why does the article say the Wiiware version has earned less than $100,000 with less than 5000 units sold? The Wii version only costs $10. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say less than $50,000 earned?

Developer of Go! Go! Kokopolo aka the best indie game you've never heard of.
Thanks. I've heard of it but never seen anything of it. Looks a lot of fun.

EDIT: Sorry for double post.

saunderez

While the quality of the game is subjective, XBLA is a clusterfuck for browsing. Unless you are only interested in dashboard ads for mainstream products in and outwith gaming.
No its not. There is an easy to find XBLA section that displays all titles by either release date or name. Maybe it was a problem with the last dash revision but not any more.

rjc571

Banned
The Wiiware version might have a shot at making money actually, since it's only 7 MB and the sales threshold is lower for games which are smaller than 16 MB (seriously). It needs to sell 4000 copies in North America or 2000 copies in Europe to make money; with 5000 copies sold total, that means it's within 500 copies of the threshold in at least one of those regions.

Is the game actually good?

It's one of the worst indie games I've played. It isn't fun in the slightest, feels small and empty for an open world game, and costs 20 times what it's worth. I regret buying it. You'd have more fun buying ten drinks from McDonald's than playing this game.

Did my part and bought the wii ware version. I had been waiting for the wii ware one for like what, four years or something. I couldn't not buy it.

Changes were made however, so it does bring into question just what was happening. It's possible he submitted for cert, as it was releasing on US PSN and Steam, noticed the less than great feedback and decided to make some changes.

I fully agree that Microsoft need to change their policies, especially in the face of what both Sony and Nintendo have done, but I don't believe we can pin the blame for RCR and its delayed release at their door.

Let's not pretend like this would be the first time someone ran into delays due to Microsoft's slot system, so even if the 360 version of RCR wasn't actually ready when Brian Provinciano said it was, there's still clearly a problem there.

And going back to the first bit, there's always the possibility that he did resubmit it (not wanting to use up his free patch) and that's one of the reasons why it costed so much.

The Wiiware version might have a shot at making money actually, since it's only 7 MB and the sales threshold is lower for games which are smaller than 16 MB (seriously). It needs to sell 4000 copies in North America or 2000 copies in Europe to make money; with 5000 copies sold total, that means it's within 500 copies of the threshold in at least one of those regions.

Oh Nintendo.

The game that was released on XBLA was not the same game that was originally released on PSN. The game was changed after the initial launch, we have no idea how much further that delayed things because it would have required a complete recert.

Well we know that the XBLA version was 99.9% done and he was just waiting for a slot when the US PSN version released because that is what the dev said himself. I guess he made the most of that time.

Camjo-Z

Being out first and offering cross-buy helped the PSN version's sales greatly, I'm sure.

Shitty tailing missions don't get a free pass to be shitty just because they're ironic or whatever. :p

You do know the dev put out an update that fixed that mission and others, right? I remember that mission made me drop the game for a while but now it takes far less time and is a lot more forgiving thanks to a few changes.

I used to hate RCR, but after replaying it I had a much better opinion of it. The gameplay can be repetitive but the game throws enough varied missions at you to keep things fresh, humor wears out later on but is pretty funny while it lasts, it looks awesome on the Vita (and the special filters are fun to mess around with), the soundtrack is downright awesome, and playing retro versions of Super Meat Boy, Bit Trip Runner, and 'Splosion Man (sorta) to unlock them is fun.

Evidently you've never played Chronovolts.

i hate chronovolt so much

no vita game can ever be worse

One thing to consider (and I posted this in a previous thread when BriPro was on Twitter rallying fanboys with "Sony rules, Microsoft sucks!" rhetoric) is that the game had such an overwhelming negative reception when it was released, which had to have trickled down to people's decision to purchases it when it was released elsewhere.

If it had released day and date on XBLA or WW, I probably would have blind bought it, but decided not to once I heard that the game was mostly a mess and it almost solely relied on making constant references to lull unsuspecting gamers into acquiescence.

One thing to consider (and I posted this in a previous thread when BriPro was on Twitter rallying fanboys with "Sony rules, Microsoft sucks!" rhetoric) is that the game had such an overwhelming negative reception when it was released, which had to have trickled down to people's decision to purchases it when it was released elsewhere.

If it had released day and date on XBLA or WW, I probably would have blind bought it, but decided not to once I heard that the game was mostly a mess and it almost solely relied on making constant references to lull unsuspecting gamers into acquiescence.

It's the main reason I didn't buy it. I was really looking forward to be but the feedback after the US PSN and Steam release completely destroyed any interest I had in the game/ This is why developers should aim for simultaneous release on all platforms, if you don't and your game isn't very good, you're going to suffer tremendously in terms of sales.

VanWinkle

@RetroCR 11:16 PM
Clarification: WiiWare version of Retro City Rampage has not generated dev revenue or hit the threshold, still a "gift to the fans".

Wow, so for all the effort the guy put into the game, Nintendo made about $100,000 on it and he made nothing.

I don't know why on earth ANYBODY put games out on WiiWare.

Mileena

Banned
I really wonder why this came out on that ghetto Wii shop instead of the Wii U eShop. Surprised they even got 5k sales from that.

It's pretty ironic that Microsoft pretty much introduced digital downloading to consoles. XBLA certainly pushed Sony and a reluctant Nintendo to embrace online stores and indie titles.
Virtual Console was in the works a LONG time. Like, originally planned for 64DD sort of long.

Platy

Considering the diference in release dates from the Wiiware ... it has VERY good sales on wiiware !

Also, the game deserves to be played even if only for the Bit.Trip Runner minigame

Wow, so for all the effort the guy put into the game, Nintendo made about $100,000 on it and he made nothing.

well its only been out a few weeks and it seems it may be pretty close so it will probably tip over eventually

and if it doesn't he could always do the give some copies away 'free' trick i seem to remember some wiiware dev doing

Grinchy

Banned
Everyone always assumes Live sells the most digital content. I wonder how many other digital games do way better on PSN.

rjc571

Banned

He has two years to hit the sales threshold, and if these numbers are accurate then he's pretty much guaranteed to reach it. Not that it excuses Nintendo's policy in any way.

eurghh!!!!! cd n64 would have been horrible, the DD would've been amazing
I dunno, I'd have liked 3rd party games on my N64. ;)

I do kinda wonder how things might've gone had Nintendo just built the 64DD into the system day one though. Japanese devs might not have uniformly rejected it then?

Shiggy

He has two years to hit the sales threshold, and if these numbers are accurate then he's pretty much guaranteed to reach it. Not that it excuses Nintendo's policy in any way.

Are you sure? I think sales will be pretty much down after relatively high launch sales because nobody seems to be using WiiWare anymore. And I doubt that it's going to get any better in a year or so.

Top Bottom