• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revised DS4 Included with PS4 Slim

glaurung

I don't want to increase the height of the analogs. The current height works out perfectly for the overall shape of the controller.
That is precisely why I mentioned the Destiny CQC stick covers. They are the lowest KontrolFreek makes and they are amazing. After a while, you will wonder how you could even play games before these things.

vgamer1

Only have it on when light is being in use for VR purpose. Is that too much to ask? I think this thing has something to do with the core OS that they cant figure out how to turn it off.

This reminds me of the PSN id issue. Seems like a small change, but the way PSN infrastructure is designed, looks like your id is the primary key in database. Sony's engineering team has tendency to design a flawed system, which are impossible to fix it in future with any update.

I'm pretty sure Sony can "figure it out"...

Like, really? The reason they won't turn off the light (at least on the current design) is that there is no other way to designate that the controller is turned on or what player it is assigned to.

On Demand

Banned
Need to know the model number on the box so I can avoid this when buying a controller.

Actually I just remembered the sticks, face buttons, triggers and dpad are gray now.

web01

Why are people saying 2 LED?
The OP clearly says the touch pad is made transparent so the light also shines through there.

No way would an extra LED be needed for what is shown in the video.

NJD316

Neo Member
Yeah getting rubber caps for the DS4 is essential in my opinion. I didn't even go for the KontrolFreek ones, just some cheap ones off Amazon for around £5, and they make using the thumbsticks a lot easier without raising the height. They also eliminate worries about the sticks peeling or getting worn over time.

fbutron

The OP clearly says the touch pad is made transparent so the light also shines through there.

Hear this man People!! Is the same LED...

Raymo

It's also probably using a plastic light guide. Something like this:

Tender_light_guide.jpg

Sakujou

Banned
Like I said in the other thread.

As if people didn't hate the light on the original DS4 enough already.
the battery life is already bad, and now they even cut more of the battery life.
how about increasing the price of the new ds4 after increasing thr price of the ps+?

we only asked for a better build quality and better battery. what do we get instead? higger prices and more sparkle.
thanks.

Chû Totoro;214688397 said:
Actually some people already reported that you can become blind if you look directly at it (military laser aiming tech here).

It's amazing any 360 owners survived last gen with their vision. That thing had FOUR LED lights on the face of the controller, and a RED RING OF DEATH LED on the console itself.

Sitris

the battery life is already bad, and now they even cut more of the battery life.
how about increasing the price of the new ds4 after increasing thr price of the ps+?

we only asked for a better build quality and better battery. what do we get instead? higger prices and more sparkle.
thanks.
There is no evidence that they have cut any battery life from the controller. Theoretically this could be a means for them to turn off the big light to just have the smaller light on towards the player.

As a previous poster mention, as it stands currently there is no way to distinguish between an on controller and an off controller if the light is turned off. This could be a means to fix this issue.

More likely though it is just the same light that was always there, it won't need extra power. Now, as to the uses of said light, I haven't got a clue. It has to be VR based. But you can't have no indication that it is turned on/who it is assigned to. Bad design from the start? (doesn't bother me, but eh) sure, but this is in no way a confirmed battery life drainer.

Onaco

Oh no, Sony can now do that thing that the NX can do that Nintendo was holding off on showing that would change the world. They're after your Lucky Charms, Nintendo!

Man, the tantrums in here caused by a strip of light. How old are you guys to act so… toddler like. We don't have comparisons of the device in use or any form of detailed design diagrams.

Very sad, I weep for the future of the human race.

Man, the tantrums in here caused by a strip of light. How old are you guys to act so… toddler like. We don't have comparisons of the device in use or any form of detailed design diagrams.

Very sad, I weep for the future of the human race.

I think you're overreacting a bit.

MooMilk2929

That line about the toucpad taking most of the battery could be true. I use my DS4 exclusively for PC and use DS4Windows and turn the light off, yet the battery only seems to last a few hours.

Shin-Ra

It's amazing any 360 owners survived last gen with their vision. That thing had FOUR LED lights on the face of the controller, and a RED RING OF DEATH LED on the console itself.
It's shocking, those quadrants weren't even filtered very well to remove glare.

It's just a business game.
Add one 'feature' of which they already have the negative feedback from consumers thus ignoring them, sell for some time then remove it again & release some sort of 'elite' model with improved shit. Just freaking release it in the beginning & cut the crap. I'm sick of these stupid games acting dumb.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
all pads since the 20th Anniversary one have an 8 hour battery. Still not as good as a 30h Dualshock 3 but hey, something :D

How fortunate for the people who own those. If only I didn't get mine at launch.

Call me when they decide to cut the bullshit out of it and make one that last 80 hours like the Wii U pro controller.

DavidDesu

Why are people still complaining about the DS4's build quality, poor sticks and battery life. All newer made controllers are much better in all respects. I got the 20th Annivesary controller for Xmas last year and the battery life is MUCH better. Still not as good as the DS3 but lasts sessions of gaming rather than maybe a couple like the launch controllers do. The stick rubber doesn't disintegrate, mine are still like new with tons of hours of Rocket League to stress them with (my launch DS4’s lasted fine until I got Rocket League, which quickly started to destroy them!).

I've had a DS4 for a few days and, while it's comfortable to hold, I don't like the buttons placement. The touchpad is too big and should be half its size. Thumb-sized would be fine for what it does. I only played TLoU and UC4 on it though.

This would leave more room for the options and share buttons. Most of the time I have to look at the controller to push the Options button. Sometimes I don't and end up hitting the touchpad instead.
The share button is not too bad but it still feels kind of awkward reaching it.

And, like a lot of people, I wish I could turn off that light. Worst thing a source of light can do is blink. And this new one fucking does.

Boss Man

FINALLY they add a light that I can't try to forget is there. Looking forward to having the front-facing light hitting my eyes directly while the top light glares off of my TV. Thanks for listening Sony!

wachie

thanks.
You forgot to sign off with "arrogant Sony is back"

Traxtech

That is precisely why I mentioned the Destiny CQC stick covers. They are the lowest KontrolFreek makes and they are amazing. After a while, you will wonder how you could even play games before these things.

I might have to give these a whirl, how do they go for third person shooters?

EDIT: They seem to make a 6.1mm version too, but convex. decisions decisions

Except..there is on my 2015 MacBook I believe :p The light has never really bothered me on its lowest setting. I think it looks pretty cool actually, but I'm not sure on the grey color scheme for the sticks and such.

No laptop has keys that are individually lit by a discrete LED. They all use light guides to route light from the light source, which is exactly the same thing that is going on with this new DS4.

Wil348

If this doesn't eat into the battery (which it apparently doesn't due to a shared light source between the two light bars), I don't really see what the problem is. It's a completely inoffensive (albiet kind of pointless outside of player indication and some games) addition.

Any word on build quality yet?

Quasar

If this doesn't eat into the battery (which it apparently doesn't due to a shared light source between the two light bars), I don't really see what the problem is. It's a completely inoffensive (albiet kind of pointless outside of player indication and some games) addition.

Any word on build quality yet?

They could just use a higher capacity battery anyway.

cchum

I guess thats to improve vr tracking.

Otherwise why not just do backlit buttons.

Lit ps button would have been amazing... Don't know why a small section like that is needed for vr. Maybe to tell which controller belongs to who, if you have more than one controller.

Or I guess games like GTA where it flashes red and blue and you don't get to see the indication.

Diablos

We are finally getting folders can we move on to pestering Sony to have an option of turning the flashlight off?
THIS.

I hate the lights on the controller. if they're going to put one on the front, holy shit, that's awful.

I'm at a point where I am seriously considering putting duct tape over the light. DS4 redneck edition. 😕

Let us turn it off in settings, and only be forced on if a game would require it... somehow.

Aenima

Lol, why ppl here think the controller has 2 lights now? Its the same light bar, but now you can see trought the touch pad.

I tought it was obvious from the video and light position shown on the video.

The controler has only 1 ligh bar that you can see from 2 angles in that new controller.

The purpose of the light shown on the front is probably to add game mechanics to some games, like frashing red if you are close to death instead of showing a health bar. Some games already use the light bar like this but is not pratical because u cant see it.

For the ones that cant stand the light:

41h-gWlSlaL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

That light bar will be awesome for stuff like The Last of Us where it displays your health. It'll be cool with GTA 5 too. There's so much negativity about it, if you're so freaked out by a dim light then either get an older controller or some electrical tape. The light on the 360 controller for what player you are never blinded anybody.

The only bullshit thing about these controllers is there's no improved battery.

Novocaine

That light bar will be awesome for stuff like The Last of Us where it displays your health. It'll be cool with GTA 5 too. There's so much negativity about it, if you're so freaked out by a dim light then either get an older controller or some electrical tape. The light on the 360 controller for what player you are never blinded anybody.

The only bullshit thing about these controllers is there's no improved battery.

The game HUD is also pretty good for displaying health :p

The complaints about the light causing distraction are a little weird though that's for sure. The problem one is the one that's there now reflecting back on the television screen not the one in my peripheral vision. I never notice the XBO light.

Top Bottom