• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revised DS4 Included with PS4 Slim

Wolfe

The strip of light sort of matches the shape of the PSVR processing unit's.

That's not so bad, I admit my mind went straight towards it being closer in size or width to the current light. Assumed it would be a lot more obnoxious, although I won't lie I'll prolly still put tape over it too haha.

SMG

I still don't get the hate for the controllers battery life either, I generally get 2/3 gaming sessions from a controller if I happen to leave it on the sofa, but generally I like things tidy and use this

163356_detail.jpg
Wow.
You were played into paying for that.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The way people are overreacting in here I half expect there to have been mass suicides back when the Xbox 360 contoller got revealed and when it had front-facing LED's.

This is a non issue, it's not a bright light. In fact it's superior now because you can actually see the status-LED while playing now. It serves a function.

Alucrid

Banned
Wow.

i bought one too because the usb port on my controller was failing. works perfectly.

The way people are overreacting in here I half expect there to have been mass suicides back when the Xbox 360 contoller got revealed and when it had front-facing LED's.

This is a non issue, it's not a bright light. In fact it's superior now because you can actually see the status-LED while playing now. It serves a function.

i needed a new issue since we got folders

madmackem

This, they must have lost thier shit when it use to blink at you when running low.

Wow.

Think I paid £15 for it, and since getting it I've constantly got 2 controllers on full charge and guess what, I find myself not needing to rant about a battery life of a controller that lasts a full gaming session.

Tomeru

My biggest gripe with the DS4 is its battery life and Sony adds another LED bar? [/IMG]

I'd wager on it being the same led, just the plastic now extends to the touch pad. If you'd know how it looked in the original ds, than you'd know what I mean I guess.

Edit:
Beaten many many times.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Is it two LEDs or is the top one piggybacking off the sensor lightbar?

It's obviously not intended for sensor purposes given its position, so I guess/presume it is frosted off or softened vs the lightbar on the back. I guess/hope it's not going to be any more glaring than a backlit home button or whatever.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
People are really trying to force fake outrage over stupidest bullshit. Lol. Trying to force that "arrogant Sony is back" meme so bad.

-d0hv

Do people in this thread really believe that a second LED is lighting up the touchpad? Do you also think there is a LED beneath every key on your backlit keyboard? lol gaf is ridiculous sometimes.

Kuni

In the unboxing video the controller is looking good. Makes sense to have the light on the front so you can actually see if it's on and whatever the dev is doing with it.

I do hope it goes have a better battery, although the current one is acceptable. The charge is notably lower than the DS3. However since this PS4 slim is clearly being made for aggressive pricing, putting in a bigger battery would go against that quite a bit.

valkyre

The only thing I want to know is if this new light bar can be somehow disabled. And I am not saying it for battery life (its LED...) but more so because i like to game in a dark room and lightbars become very distracting... (i have covered the big lightbar on the back)

Coxy100

Banned
I still don't get the hate for the controllers battery life either, I generally get 2/3 gaming sessions from a controller if I happen to leave it on the sofa, but generally I like things tidy and use this

163356_detail.jpg

You won't get the hate if you use that. The point is out of the box the controller's battery isn't great - we have to pay more money to get that charger unit.

Especially when compared to XB1 battery life - that is soooo much better.

Behlel

Massive design flaw, I don't care for VR or own a camera. It's one the most idiotic features I've come across this gen. Drains my battery for no reason!
Open the pad and disconnect it, then try without the lightbar and post some result. It doesn't change nothing, it's the touchpad and the speaker that are draining the battery life not a single led.

JawzPause

I actually like the new controller, now I can see when the light changes as developers use it in their games.
Ye i always thought the light was kinda pointless because you the player couldn't see it but now it actually has a use. Plus it's the same LED as the back so people complaining about battery have no leg to stand on

I'm not concerned about whether its the same light, I don't want to see it at all let alone another angle of it shining through, it's effectively another light. I don't believe it depletes much battery life but I don't like large lights. On my PC mouse I just like a tiny LED I don't want a large light shining out and bouncing off the screen and looking ridiculous and annoying by itself.

Buying the thing means you have to disassemble it, sabotage the light, order a reasonable mAh battery and Xbox thumb sticks and waste time and money fitting them. How can Sony not release a decent controller after 3 years.

Meanwhile the Xbox One standard controller is getting better and better. They have the elite controller. They've released a very smart console that has UHD bluray and HDR.

The battery life thing is the most annoying things about the controller.

I think all this lightbar hate is ridiculous but a controller should at least last 10 hours between charges.

Do people in this thread really believe that a second LED is lighting up the touchpad? Do you also think there is a LED beneath every key on your backlit keyboard? lol gaf is ridiculous sometimes.

Except..there is on my 2015 MacBook I believe :p The light has never really bothered me on its lowest setting. I think it looks pretty cool actually, but I'm not sure on the grey color scheme for the sticks and such.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
oh for goodness sake. now i'm gonna have the light shining in my eyes? at least with the OG controller you don't need to look at it. what possible reason is there for putting it on the top? if they want to pull this shit then at least let us turn it off.

they should get rid of the light bar and touch pad. the xbox one controller is by far the best. sony are getting just as bad as nintendo with these wacky ass controllers.

Jumeira

Banned

OH come on! Status is visible on the damn screen, no one is going ignore the on screen status, take a glance at their controller then nod back at thier screen to confirm the status is accurate. It serves no purpose for non VR gamers (most gamers) apart from irritating us. The big deal is waste, who thought it was a good idea to force wasted use of energy, I mean it's design 101! Reduce redundancy.

In the dark the glow is distracting, in the light the glow reflects off the screen, it's fucking useless

It's such a shame because the DS4 has the potential to be the best controller ever.
The touchpad is useless and the lightbar is irritating. The most mind boggling thing is that they can easily make an option available to turn the light off, but Sony is very stubborn for some reason. (On PC you can turn off the light completely with just a software setting...)

A version without the touchpad and lightbar would also make the controller more affordable.

The top of the touchpad is now transparent so the light bar shines through on the touchpad. No word on other changes but it confirms that the DS4 is being updated alongside this revision. This guy is going to keep drip feeding updates, it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDFbLGEky8g
People aren't getting the Transparent part which means the light source for the light bar on the front is shining through the transparent touchpad.

Announced plans have always been to have the light bar color as a clue to who is active or who is which player and it sometimes helps if the player can see the color of his light bar without having to tilt it up to see the front.

Casual games (Move and VR games) not requiring VR goggles will be more popular and fully supported after October (China TV ad last month featuring Grandma playing a game). I hope they support 3D TVs too.

JP

I'm not sure how much of a difference people think being able to switch off an LED would make to a controllers battery? It's a low power LED that may well only save you few minutes over the life of a single charge. Although it's a different format on the DualShock 4, these controllers have had low power LEDs since the original PS1 DualShock and the Xbox has had them since the days of the 360 and it's even possible that the DualShock 4 lightbar uses energy more efficiently than those older controllers used to.

If people are having power issues with their DualShock 4, it's unlikely that it's going to be anything to do with the power consumption of the lightbar if that's working as it should.

Top Bottom