• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revised DS4 Included with PS4 Slim

Sony: Oh, you guys don't like not being able to turn the light bar off? Well how about EVEN MORE LIGHT BAR?!?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I actually like the light bar

Oublieux

I assume it's to improve tracking in VR somehow. That's all I can think of, otherwise seems pointless.

My first impression was that the translucent plastic would allow the light to be more visible. The original generation PS4 controller used the light in some neat, albeit also gimmicky, ways like flashing red and blue in GTA V when the player was being chased by the police.

Based on the responses, I feel like the negativity is unwarranted though. I very much doubt they added another LED purely for this function. More likely, it's just a clear section of plastic that used the previous LED set up and now just shines through. There is also the potential for increased battery life using updated parts.

This thread is just a whole lot of speculation and knee-jerk reactions from a video less than 30 seconds.

Wolfe

So fans beg Sony to turn the light bar off and their response is to put more lights on it?

What is Sony doing?

Haha I just saw this thread for the first time and thought "DS4 revision?... skeptical yet optimistic!". Then I enter the thread... holy shit lol! I put electrical tape over the light on both of my controllers and now I'm gonna have a light shining through the touch pad? You've got to be kidding me.

Might as well put electrical tape over that too, I can't recall a time I've ever purposely felt the need to utilize any of the touch functions. I'm not doubting they can't become easier or more efficient than button presses, I've just never felt the desire to get past the phase of it just feeling cumbersome. I don't think I'll mind that only being a traditional button, barring some reason they added a light into it that I may want to take into account.

Shin-Ra

Seriously now I've got an annoying light in my face?
The lightbar is dim on the dim setting, you should know that.

edit: actually you defended the Greenberg spin about VR games not being console games so this goes on the deliberately obtuse pile.

clintar

Da fuck? Arrogant sony in full effect.

Whew, if that's the full effect of Arrogant Sony, then I guess we don't have too much to worry about.

BTW, why is it taking SO long to get videos of these things? I mean we barely get a bit of a quick clip in this guy's car. Other video said a guy from Eurogamer was there and they'd have video and info soon. What's taking so long?

Also, it's probably just a little adjustment so people can actually see the lightbar when games intentionally change the color so it's actually usable (debatable) without having to rotate the controller to know it changed.

Stiler

Someone tlel me why you can't disable the lightbar or turn it off in the options? I loathe it, since I play with one on my pc it's annoying when it shines off my monitor right into my eye.

Man if they let light bleed through the symbols on the 20th Anniversary pack-in controllers, so the little symbols had a very soft glow while the controller was in operation, would've been cooooooool.

But yeah, this implementation is awful. I really don't want this glaring at my face.

deadduck

My first impression was that the translucent plastic would allow the light to be more visible. The original generation PS4 controller used the light in some neat, albeit also gimmicky, ways like flashing red and blue in GTA V when the player was being chased by the police.

Based on the responses, I feel like the negativity is unwarranted though. I very much doubt they added another LED purely for this function. More likely, it's just a clear section of plastic that used the previous LED set up and now just shines through. There is also the potential for increased battery life using updated parts.

This thread is just a whole lot of speculation and knee-jerk reactions from a video less than 30 seconds.

Yep I agree, I thought they'd use some translucent light tunnels and just make the existing led shine through.

Zalman

I'll be disappointed if it has the same battery. I feel like I charge it way too often. My Wii U Pro Controller lasts 80 hours on a single charge.

Shin-Ra

The strip of light sort of matches the shape of the PSVR processing unit's.

DS4tpLightBar.gif

PSVRhdmiSplit.jpg

Wow this is horrible! We wanted LESS light!
Feigned shock! Speak for yourself.

Probably just like a vast majority of the 40+ million people that own one.

Clock it. Gaf sometimes can be an echo chamber for things that really don't bother that much people. I've never heard outside of this forum, in real life, an overwhelming amount of complaints about the light. When people are discussing the PS4, the controller is never mentioned. Gaf is just gaf.

Ashhong

I like the light bar design, even as a controller identifier, it's much clearer than the 1,2,3,4 LEDs on DS3.

Matching up the colors is more clear then just reading the number? :/

Clock it. Gaf sometimes can be an echo chamber for things that really don't bother that much people. I've never heard outside of this forum, in real life, an overwhelming amount of complaints about the light. When people are discussing the PS4, the controller is never mentioned. Gaf is just gaf.

What about if you actually asked those same people what they think of the light after telling them the battery would be dramatically better if it wasn't there

Robot Pants

Sony is so stubborn when it comes to this stuff. They can never admit they've made a bad choice/had a bad idea.

Just ditch the god damn light bar or make it way smaller and use almost zero battery

Bsigg12

Sony is so stubborn when it comes to this stuff. They can never admit they've made a bad choice/had a bad idea.

Just ditch the god damn light bar or make it way smaller and use almost zero battery

At this point it's essentially for PSVR and tracking the controller. It has a use at lesst.

Swass

Not really liking whats been coming out of the Sony camp lately. While they largely knocked everything out of the park with the original PS4, their decisions lately just seem...off.

Kind of feeling the same way..

1. PS4 Slim is a miss, though contrary to popular opinion I don't mind the look, but not a fan of them cheapening out badly on it. I understand why they do it, but removing the optical out and the led light bar along with not adding features like 4k bluray and hdr, this machine pales in comparison to Microsoft's revision.

2. Raising PS+ $10 just because.. I know Xbox Live did this a couple years back, but that's not enough a reason, at least add some value when jacking up the price, especially when we see all the articles on how much they are raking in from these subs..

3. The controller is really getting out shined by Microsoft in a major way.. I believe the Xbox One controller has now had 3 major revisions, the first one that added the 3.5mm jack and fixed the bumpers, the second one that added rubber grip to the back on the special edition controllers like the forza and lunar, and the latest Xbox One S revision that adds Bluetooth and the ability to customize the colors. Plus they offer the Elite. Meanwhile on the PlayStation the only revision we have had the rubber on the thumb sticks replaced and that only happened because the original rubber was defective.. They still have yet to address the terrible battery life and this latest revision looks like a joke..

4. Flaws with the OS and Network.. some that have existed for a decade like being able to change your PSN name are getting to the point of ridiculousness.. and the smaller things that should be easy to address like external drive support..

5. It feels like Microsoft is listening to the community feedback and quickly addressing their issues and concerns where with Sony it's felt like they have been turning a blind eye to the community for some time now.. have they already forgotten why they were able to turn the brand around?

I really hope the Neo knocks it out of the park because I'm not liking Sony's current trend.

Futurematic

Or they're brilliant and only the Pro controller will have an off switch for the light.

(As an avid fan of what the MiniDisc could have been, you should discount my opinions accordingly.)

Shin-Ra

Matching up the colors is more clear then just reading the number? :/
At a quick glance, and looking at other players' controllers (seeing who's who in local multiplayer), yes.

You stubbornly don't even attempt to understand what the light bar is used for and the console's been out for 33 months.

playXray

Wow, people seem to be way overreacting to me. From the comments I thought the whole touch pad was going to light up, not just a tiny bit at the end. I don't have a problem with this.

Swass

Wow, people seem to be way overreacting to me. From the comments I thought the whole touch pad was going to light up, not just a tiny bit at the end. I don't have a problem with this.

I don't think it's so much the adding of the light coming through the touch pad as it is the lack of other revisions that address complaints that have existed since the controllers inception namely the battery life.

knerl

Yeah battery life and a better grip on the sticks is the only thing that's needed.
Some complain about build quality, but in all honesty that's as solid as one can be. At least if I'm to compare with other controllers from the big three.

What's the default battery capacity? 1000mAh?

knerl

Looks great standing vertically and very slim.

Looks ok. Not remotely as good as the original 12xx-model (all matt) and it doesn't seem to be all that much smaller. Better be superior in terms of heat generated and noise levels for me to be interested. Then again. I'm waiting for Neo I think.

playXray

I don't think it's so much the adding of the light coming through the touch pad as it is the lack of other revisions that address complaints that have existed since the controllers inception namely the battery life.

That makes sense, sure. However (and this is just from the last page):

Man if they let light bleed through the symbols on the 20th Anniversary pack-in controllers, so the little symbols had a very soft glow while the controller was in operation, would've been cooooooool.

But yeah, this implementation is awful. I really don't want this glaring at my face.

Someone tlel me why you can't disable the lightbar or turn it off in the options? I loathe it, since I play with one on my pc it's annoying when it shines off my monitor right into my eye.

Seriously now I've got an annoying light in my face?

wow, they really give no fucks about that light

I don't see how we can assume that this is the only change to the pad design - that video makes no mention of battery capacity, material changes or anything else.

Maybe it literally is just a new light functionality, or maybe it's more than that.

So fans beg Sony to turn the light bar off and their response is to put more lights on it?

What is Sony doing?

Thankfully, it's not another light source but the touchpad is just transparent on top letting the light come through from the bottom of the controller.

no additional light source!

I still don't get the hate for the controllers battery life either, I generally get 2/3 gaming sessions from a controller if I happen to leave it on the sofa, but generally I like things tidy and use this

163356_detail.jpg

Top Bottom