• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revised DS4 Included with PS4 Slim

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Gaf is typically smarter than the average corner of the internet, yet collectively you seriously seem to believe that LED lights are a significant drain on the battery.

Not only does common sense say this isn't the case, but it's been tested.

SOR5

OP could you clarify that its still just one light but there's a transparent window at the front of the controller now

Also that the LED light isn't what's draining batteries

Just to stop the "OMGSONNNYCANTBELIEVEIT" stuff

Vire

Gaf is typically smarter than the average corner of the internet, yet collectively you seriously seem to believe that LED lights are a significant drain on the battery.

Nobody asked for this though, if Sony actually listened to what the community has been asking for, they would have removed the light not made it even more visible, added a bigger battery and changed the quality of the sticks.

Unless I'm missing something and it does in fact have a better battery inside of it, this is just stupid.

Having taken apart both my DS4s, I'm willing to bet the only difference in the lighting for the new controller is a new transparent area in the touchpad. That LED lets off a LOT of light bleed and adding transparency to the touchpad in that area probably doesn't even require an extra LED; it'll get enough light from the original lightbar's bleed.

I like the idea of the light on top. Games that actually use the colored LED can sometimes convey some interesting information *shrug*

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
OP could you clarify that its still just one light but there's a transparent window at the front of the controller now

Done

Gaf is all knowing. Hyperbole overreactions are more important than logic.

First a simple black square box is "ugly", then 80 cents increase of PS+ makes us all homeless and now another light that comes from the same source drains the controller even more and is annoying.

MtZ9N.gif

Jonboy

Yes, its this controller here, and it has the same battery as the original one. No info on the lights on the manual tho

Cqf06soWAAAF6D0.jpg

Cqf08CnWcAAFBOj.jpg:large
I've seen this posted in multiple threads now and ppl just keep ignoring it. Is there a joke I'm missing this is in reference to? If not, I'm not sure why people keep skimming over this, lol.

Definitely looks a little wider with slight tweaks to the triggers and analog sticks.

Elios83

Going on what was posted a few pages back.

But there is no detail about battery capacity unless I'm missing it.
There's just a video showing that now you can see the light bar color through a slice on the front touch pad.

Edit: Ah ok! I've seen the prototype on page 3, I missed it, sorry =)

Sigh... the light bar is probably the most useless gimmick I've ever seen on a controller. I thought they were going to make it smaller, but I guess I can't complain so long as they improve the battery li- ohhhh

if Sony actually listened to what the community has been asking for, they would have removed the light not made it even more visible

But wouldn't that break compatibility with games that already use the lightbar, and all PSVR games currently in development?

How should they handle this? Extra info on game boxes with a "you'll need one of these" with a picture of a DS4 before the frothing-at-the-mouth, "it's all so unfair, I hate you" GAF-inspired hardware revision?

Wtf? Arrogant Sony seems to be back in full force. Instead of addressing the fact that people hate the light bar, they make it even more annoying and harder to not distract you.

Kazooie

Banned
It doesn't turn on, he appears to be in a car.

notsureifserious.jpeg
Can't you see why people are dissapointed? Within 24 hours we've had leaks of the PS4 slim which a lot of people think looks ugly, it has no 4k media capabilities, PS Plus is going up in cost and now this controller which looks like Sony hasn't listened to any consumer feedback at all and have just stuck another lightbar in the DS4.

Better build quality and a longer lasting battery are all I'm looking for in a dualshock revision.

And can you turn off the light? Or is it just going to shine in my face now?

Wait... That was their first thought? To add another light? You know the one thing people complained about with the original controller.

Not to fix the horrible build quality, tearing analog sticks and squeaky triggers?

What the hell Sony.

Just how in the world do you know that they didn't address those issues? HOW?

I swear, the hyperbole on this forum is insane.

ViciousDS

Banned
Actually the touchpad is what drains the battery the most. The lights don't.

ooohhhhh really?

Steel you can also update the OP that the LED disabled controller died sometime last night. It was at 1 bar at just past midnight last night, and when I checked on it at 10am it was dead. So the LED disabled controller lasted somewhere between 26 and 36 hours of idle operation. I must admit though yesterday I setup my xbox one and it powered off my PS4 and also the controller. Therefore I had to restart the system and relink the controller for the test. My test is not scientific in anyway but the controller was off for a maximum of 1 minute after I discovered I had accidentally pulled the power for the PS4.

The actual time that the LED enabed DS4 lasted was between 13 and 15 hours. It was down to one bar, I left for 2 hours came back to check on it and it was dead.

double the battery life without even touching the controller

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723148

I literally typed neogaf DS4 battery life

that thread has been there for a long time....somehow people seem to think the LED's have little to no effect on the battery life

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

It's not a transparent window I think, it looks like a completely separate LED.

Really trying to figure out what the 2nd light is for. Seeing the touchpad in the dark? VR features?

Would be silly if the battery life is even worse due to it.

Soooo the lightbar is the only physical property on the DS4 that can visually signify things. So devs use it to signify local multiplayer controllers (blue for first player, red for second player, etc.), some use it to enhance feedback of games (red when you're nearly dead, etc.), and so on. Because of this, there is no way that Sony would allow you to turn off the lightbar completely. It would break compatibility for too many games...not in a major way, but enough to where it would actively discourage devs from utilizing it.

With this top lightbar, and I'm just shooting in the dark here, but to me this is going to be the way to allow users to turn off the main light and just have the tiny LED instead. They can get all the visual info they need, in a way that's more friendly and easier to access in fact.

Of course this could all be fake, or Sony might not allow the light to be turned off still, but I think this is exactly what's going on. It just lines up perfectly.

Top Bottom