• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rez Infinite |OT| Fear is the Mind Killer-App

MarkMacD

Amazzzzzzzzing OT :D
Thank you Kyonashi! Will definitely be showing this to Miz tonight :)

Real quick:

--On the FAQ: In Rez Infinite, Area 5 unlocks simply by beating Area 4 (in normal or invincible "travelling" mode); other unlockables and trophies are still there for those who want to dig deep and master the game, but this was a nod to the amount of feedback / people who "just want to chill" and play through the game. :)

--The Move motion controller is indeed supported (when playing in VR) -- you can aim with it, or aim with your headset and just use it for buttons.

--The menus were redesigned to keep them the same in or out of VR (and so you weren't flipping through pages / jumping screens in VR), and simplify the help text that shows you how to unlock things, etc. Tbh, I missed the old separate "stage select" screen at first, but have grown to prefer the cleaner & simpler layout. Or maybe I'm just used to it? I'm not exactly impartial!

--Area X has a "Shot Down %" rating after the credits, but only when you aren't playing in "travelling" (invincible) mode. I'll be curious to see how fast anyone gets 100% (afaik only one guy on the team has done it, but I'm sure the internet will fare better)

Sorry I might not be around much for the next day or two (we have a small launch event tonight) to answer comments, but here's a code for anyone who read this far!
HD6T-D2NQ-M2Q3

Thanks everyone so, so much for the all support -- Rez's incredible fanbase is the only reason this game was possible, and we're a tiny team that can use all the help we can get getting the word out :)

Just completed my first playthrough, technically this is the best way to play Rez, but I'm not sure if it's my favorite? Things like the menus and stuff feel lacking compared to other versions of the game. It's a minor detail, but it keeps this port from being completely true to the original 's vibe. Still, playing through it again reminded me that Rez is one of those games that I'm truly "in love" with. Still makes me grin ear to ear and makes me feel like no other game out there.

Area X is something else entirely, though. I don't remember the last time a game made me feel butterflies and goosebumps like this. I'm still in complete awe. Only thing I can really say is I need more. Really hoping that Area X is a tease for a next gen Rez sequel....

ryseing

Real quick:

--On the FAQ: In Rez Infinite, Area 5 unlocks simply by beating Area 4 (in normal or invincible "travelling" mode); other unlockables and trophies are still there for those who want to dig deep and master the game, but this was a nod to the amount of feedback / people who "just want to chill" and play through the game. :)

--The Move motion controller is indeed supported (when playing in VR) -- you can aim with it, or aim with your headset and just use it for buttons.

--The menus were redesigned to keep them the same in or out of VR (and so you weren't flipping through pages / jumping screens in VR), and simplify the help text that shows you how to unlock things, etc. Tbh, I missed the old separate "stage select" screen at first, but have grown to prefer the cleaner & simpler layout. Or maybe I'm just used to it? I'm not exactly impartial!

--Area X has a "Shot Down %" rating after the credits, but only when you aren't playing in "travelling" (invincible) mode. I'll be curious to see how fast anyone gets 100% (afaik only one guy on the team has done it, but I'm sure the internet will fare better)

Sorry I might not be around much for the next day or two (we have a small launch event tonight) to answer comments, but here's a code for anyone who read this far!
HD6T-D2NQ-M2Q3

Thanks everyone so, so much for the all support -- Rez's incredible fanbase is the only reason this game was possible, and we're a tiny team that can use all the help we can get getting the word out :)

Bummer! Somebody took the code. Thanks for dropping it in anyway!

Wonderful OP, Kyonashi - the game deserves exactly that level of reverence!

Just played through. Still just unbelievable to me this game has survived 3 console generations when we've seen so much else fall by the wayside. It's enough to silence even the most cynical of us. Thank you to mizuguchi and to all who've kept her alive!

Played the entire way through in one sitting (without VR). Core game still holds up, Area X is gorgeous; like the best parts of Child of Eden mixed with Rez to an amazing track.

Just finished Area X. It truly is the perfect evolution of Rez and Child Of Eden. I actually wasn't expecting it to resemble Child Of Eden as much as it did. Here's hoping we get a new game somewhere down the line.

Man, I forgot how chill the Lost Area is. It's a total contrast to the horror that is the Trance Mission. I swear I almost crapped my pants the first time I tried that level out. I don't even want to know what it would be like in VR.

Just played though all but Area 5 (died during the boss and I should probably go to bed anyway) with 4 controllers in Trance Vibrator mode, headphones, and in a perfectly dark room.

Holy shit. I'm still recovering. The human body is not made for so much stimuli. It's enveloping. Pretty much every sense but taste and smell are being used at full force.

How exactly are you using four controllers? Wait, maybe I don't want to know the answer to that...

LiK

Just beat the campaign. Fucking yes, still awesome. Still my fave game of all time. So timeless. I'll play Area X tomorrow.

Kevtones

Real quick:

HD6T-D2NQ-M2Q3

Thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU.

Area X is fantastic. Can't stress this enough. The stop/boost mechanic works perfectly and it evolves the game in such a beautiful way. Rez is one of my favorite games ever so you've made me a very happy fan.

It's interesting because the game is indeed easier and BETTER with the VR. It's such a natural fit. I've quadruple dipped this game now (DC, PS2, X360) and I got 100% shot down on 3/5 stages my first playthrough (including stage 5).

Now how about a sequel/DLC or Childen of Eden remade? :)

EDIT: I miss the old stage select screen. Hearing the little song samples prior with the pulsing wireframes made me hype :(

Maan, I just played Areas 1-5 after maybe 10 years without playing Rez, and I'm surprised that I'm still decent at it.

I also played Area X twice, and let me say that the effects are incredible. I'd really like to play a Rez 2 in this style.

What I didn't like is that the game feels like Child of Eden in the later parts. Also, that it not being in rails makes it feel a little disorienting, but this is probably because the mode was designed for VR.

I really want to play this game in VR, but after getting a Vive that I barely use, I cannot justify spending $400 more dollars for playing Rez, a game that I've played a million times.

*sigh* I met Miz in Pax West this year and he told me that I should play the game in VR cause the experience is totally different. And I think he's absolutely right, based on the games I've played on my Vive.

One day Miz, I'll get a PSVR and get to play your vision in VR, like you intended. One day.

EDIT: I miss the old stage select screen. Hearing the little song samples prior with the pulsing wireframes made me hype :(

I missed the stage select samples as well. I wonder if they can patch them back, 'cause they should :p

Kyonashi

Oh wow! That was unexpected! Please tell him thank you for creating one of my favourite games of all-time. :)

I'll update the FAQ with the info you shared, appreciate you dropping by.

Wish i'd been awake to grab that code (I finished and posted the OT at 2:30am haha) - I actually won't be able to play until my iam8bit physical copy + picture disc vinyl arrives, even though my PSVR is coming today!! Going to try and just satiate myself with the demo in the interim. Hopefully someone got the code who wouldn't be playing it otherwise :)

Kevtones

Maan, I just played Areas 1-5 after maybe 10 years without playing Rez, and I'm surprised that I'm still decent at it.

I also played Area X twice, and let me say that the effects are incredible. I'd really like to play a Rez 2 in this style.

What I didn't like is that the game feels like Child of Eden in the later parts. Also, that it not being in rails makes it feel a little disorienting, but this is probably because the mode was designed for VR.

I really want to play this game in VR, but after getting a Vive that I barely use, I cannot justify spending $400 more dollars for playing Rez, a game that I've played a million times.

*sigh* I met Miz in Pax West this year and he told me that I should play the game in VR cause the experience is totally different. And I think he's absolutely right, based on the games I've played on my Vive.

One day Miz, I'll get a PSVR and get to play your vision in VR, like you intended. One day.

I missed the stage select samples as well. I wonder if they can patch them back, 'cause they should :p

PSVR, as someone who impulse bought the thing tonight based off of good timing and Rez - it changes the experience dramatically. The head tracking shooting is a game changer.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
I have absolutely no Idead what im doing or what im supposed to to, im just waving left and right and up and down with the move like a madman, grinning and smiling all the way trough the demo!
This is so awesome!

TheBear

This has been the seminal VR experience for me and I haven't even played Area X yet. Holy shit.

I don't understand the point of using other controllers as trance vibrators. What are you supposed to do with them?

I mean I wasn't being entirely serious but the idea is to use them for additional force feedback to further your immersion.

photo-9-full.jpg
Worth it.

Just finished my first session with Rez. Not VR, just regular Rez, as I missed the boat in the PS2 days. I made it past the first two areas and had to take a break. I always had the impression that this game was kind of a laid-back, synesthetic digital trip, one which you could also bring a special lady friend on. But no, this game is intense! You can't just lazily wave around the targeting square, this shooter demands fast reflexes. In a way I'm disappointed by this realization because I was hoping for a game to de-stress with, but I can't knock the experience. Perhaps the Traveling mode will be more the speed I'm looking for.

And now I can see why people are saying PSVR is the real way to experience the game. I can definitely see that, and it makes me even more conflicted about cancelling my preorder.

Question about the targeting... do you get a score bonus for lining up more targets at a time, versus just targeting each virus individually?

LiK

Just finished my first session with Rez. Not VR, just regular Rez, as I missed the boat in the PS2 days. I made it past the first two areas and had to take a break. I always had the impression that this game was kind of a laid-back, synesthetic digital trip, one which you could also bring a special lady friend on. But no, this game is intense! You can't just lazily wave around the targeting square, this shooter demands fast reflexes. In a way I'm disappointed by this realization because I was hoping for a game to de-stress with, but I can't knock the experience. Perhaps the Traveling mode will be more the speed I'm looking for.

And now I can see why people are saying PSVR is the real way to experience the game. I can definitely see that, and it makes me even more conflicted about cancelling my preorder.

Question about the targeting... do you get a score bonus for lining up more targets at a time, versus just targeting each virus individually?

If you're just playing the story mode, just play however you want. Once you unlock Score Attack mode, then you can worry about it.

Argh, Rez is one of my favorite games of all time. I want the physical copy so badly, but I also want to play this now, but I also don't want to double-dip... WHY MUST YOU FAIL SO HARD IAM8BIT.

What to do, what to do. I already missed out on the free (and apparently awesome) theme, argh...

big_z

Has Rez ever cost this much before? Aus$45 is pretty damn high for an old wireframe re-release.

im in the same boat. im so tempted to buy it as rez is one of my favorite games and I want to support the team so hopefully we get rez2 but the price is just too high. I've already put tons of time into rezhd and money is a bit tight so ill have to hold out for a psn sale.

Played the entire way through in one sitting (without VR). Core game still holds up, Area X is gorgeous; like the best parts of Child of Eden mixed with Rez to an amazing track.

I think the area x track starts and end strong but falls a bit flat mid way through. Amazing looking area though and very inspired by child of eden.

For the highest score you always want your target to be maxed before releasing the shot.

Does the Trance Vibrator work in this version?

Based on a friend's post on Facebook, the PS2 USB trance vibrator does not work, but there is a "Trance Vibrator" mode which enables vibration for multiple controllers, pretty much just like Rez HD on the 360.

Ogni-XR21

I played area 1 just before I went to bed. Got my headset delivered to work and am now waiting until I can finally go home (a little over 4 hours left to go).

Only thing I was kind of bummed about there not being a travelling mode for area 5 (as it has always been, I know, I was just hoping for it to be included this time).

Ferr986

Watching a stream of the new area, loving the melodic progressive vibes of the music!

I need to get this game when I have some spare money.

EDIT: Holy shit I shouldnt be watching this considering I'll get this game later but I can't stop, Area X is my jam.

Dantooine

Banned
Hang on, the Move control is only for VR mode - is that right? A bit of a disappointment, but I'll probably get it anyhow. Loved the Dreamcast version all those moons ago.

Shin-Ra

There's a few little changes and polish improvements I'd love to see:

◊ When the game starts, before pressing a button you get the original title music but when you back out to this screen later, the game stays silent. Play the music!

◊ Some of the menu titles/text have a transparent glow effect that's been cropped slightly too close, giving unintended sharp edges:

RezInfGlowCrop.png

RezInfFslashPolish.png

That '/' character looks garbled too.

◊ There's little kinks in the corners of the Area X aiming cursor. Ideally the cursor would be given pixel-precise treatment so all the edges have equal width too, yeah this is super picky.

RezInfReticulePolish.png

◊ It'd probably be a lot of extra work but an option to switch to the original menu design (area select at least) would be 👌🏼

Novocaine

Did a quick run through before work. Area 4 is still my favourite.

The vibration on the DS4 is shit though.

Also does the trance vibrator work?

CyberChulo

Just played though all but Area 5 (died during the boss and I should probably go to bed anyway) with 4 controllers in Trance Vibrator mode, headphones, and in a perfectly dark room.

Holy shit. I'm still recovering. The human body is not made for so much stimuli. It's enveloping. Pretty much every sense but taste and smell are being used at full force.

How are you strapping the controllers to your body? I've already got my couch vibrating from the buttkickers. Do you velcro it or something?

https://postimage.org/

How are you strapping the controllers to your body? I've already got my couch vibrating from the buttkickers. Do you velcro it or something?

Much more low tech. I live in a dorm room so I have limited space to put things, so I have my TV on my dresser, which is about a foot and a half away from my bed. Incredibly nice for late night gaming or sick days when you want to watch a movie.

I sat in a upright seated position with my legs out. Put 2 controllers to the sides of where I am sitting, and I couldn't think of a better place for the 3rd than the knees.

The mattress my school provides has hella springs so it spreads across the bed fairly easily.

Top Bottom