• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rez Infinite |OT| Fear is the Mind Killer-App

Man, after 15 years, Rez is still an incredibly overwhelming experience, and Area X just takes it to a whole new level. And that's without having played it in VR.

Has anyone figured out how to trigger the alternate boss for Area X yet? (The trophy has a 6.3% get rate so I guess the real question is "has anyone posted how")

Mdk7

Just played though all but Area 5 (died during the boss and I should probably go to bed anyway) with 4 controllers in Trance Vibrator mode, headphones, and in a perfectly dark room.

Holy shit. I'm still recovering. The human body is not made for so much stimuli. It's enveloping. Pretty much every sense but taste and smell are being used at full force.

how do you set that up?

how do you set that up?
That should really read "3 controllers in trance mode, one in my hands still playing"

Simply connect multiple controllers. Go to options and flip on Trance Vibrator. I said 4 controllers as while the 3 that surrounded me (see last page) were doing the majority of the vibrating (they handle the bass kicks and enemy shots) the controller you are holding takes a back seat until specific moments kick in. Thus 4 controllers.

The craziest part is that it seemed like the controllers knew how they were positioned, which is impossible, as I don't have a camera or anything hooked up. A handful of times the controllers to the left and right of me (3 & 4) would pulse and then the one on top of my knees (2) would pulse in response on the next beat. It was like a mini Rez suit.

8bit

Knows the Score
The speed of cursor movement seems a bit off, guessing it's just me getting used to it though.

I am a bit disappointed that actions are mapped to face buttons only, played RezHD mostly with triggers so I'm missing that. Otherwise, it's Rez. Again.

One interesting thing I noticed is that there is a credit for California Soul in the credits, which makes it seem like the finally actually licensed the sample. This makes me wonder if the new OST will contain a version of Fear that actually sounds like the in-game track, or if they're still just using the old OST version. Likely the latter, but one can hope...

That should really read "3 controllers in trance mode, one in my hands still playing"

Simply connect multiple controllers. Go to options and flip on Trance Vibrator. I said 4 controllers as while the 3 that surrounded me (see last page) were doing the majority of the vibrating (they handle the bass kicks and enemy shots) the controller you are holding takes a back seat until specific moments kick in. Thus 4 controllers.

The craziest part is that it seemed like the controllers knew how they were positioned, which is impossible, as I don't have a camera or anything hooked up. A handful of times the controllers to the left and right of me (3 & 4) would pulse and then the one on top of my knees (2) would pulse in response on the next beat. It was like a mini Rez suit.

I'm wondering if this is the default setting (2 center, 3 left and 4 right) if you have four controllers and you just got lucky with the setup. Wonder if it does L/R if you only have three?

Just realized we have four DS4s in the house; going to mess around with this tonight.

raven777

Just played the first stage in PSVR. It was my first time ever playing Rez , so I didn't really know what to expect going into the game except that it was Mizuguchi Tetsuya's game. The only game from him I got to play was Lumines on PSP and I loved it.
So after playing first stage I am taking a break... it's really hard to explain what I experienced. It feels like simple rail shooter so far, but the visual and music just makes it very unique and special.

Does anybody know if there are plans beyond the vinyl to (re)release the soundtrack? I would love to have high quality FLACs and 320 MP3's of the music...

Peltz

I've been able to consistently get a 100% shoot down rate in this game for the last decade using a normal Dreamcast (and later Xbox 360) controller.

I wonder how I'll fair using the Move in VR tonight after work? It will be fun finding out <3

120fps will be fucking amazing.

robotrock

Banned
Trying not to play this until the UPS truck delivers my headset.

Does anybody know if there are plans beyond the vinyl to (re)release the soundtrack? I would love to have high quality FLACs and 320 MP3's of the music...

The vinyl comes with a digital download so hopefully they'll release that on it's own.

Trying not to play this until the UPS truck delivers my headset.

The vinyl comes with a digital download so hopefully they'll release that on it's own.

Wow. iam8bit actually doing digital downloads? I don't believe it! The only thing that's come close is copies of steam games for Dustforce and HLM2. It's such a shame, their vinyl sounds great and is packaged well but it's so expensive, constantly delayed, and they have horrible customer service.

Hoping that the digital version is freed from the 8bit shackles.

Shin-Ra

I think you just need a shoot down ratio over 95% to get the alternate Area X boss. Either that or it has something to do with the red/blue AT-STs.

Valonquar

Just blasted through all 5 stages to unlock Area X. First of many "Oh WOOOOOOW" moments with the PSVR today. Area X makes me instantly hungry for a full current gen game from this team. Incredibly beautiful, just wish it was even longer.

ArchAngel

Played through all 6 stages.
First, the Trance Vibrator does not work on PS4 :(

But this game is so damn good, I loved it on every released console and I think the old stage select screen was better.
Area X ist just REZ Next-Gen magic. I didn't read much about it and just saw the reveal at PSX, but the first playthrough was amazing. REZ 2! But I didn't understand the whole graphically overkill at first. My second round was way better in that regard and I LOVE this stage. Sooo good!

And a small tear for United Games Artists in the credits, I miss you ;(

One interesting thing I noticed is that there is a credit for California Soul in the credits, which makes it seem like the finally actually licensed the sample. This makes me wonder if the new OST will contain a version of Fear that actually sounds like the in-game track, or if they're still just using the old OST version. Likely the latter, but one can hope...

That credit is in the 360 version, maybe they only licenced it in-game and not for the OST?

LiK

Did a quick run through before work. Area 4 is still my favourite.

The vibration on the DS4 is shit though.

Also does the trance vibrator work?

I used a SCUF PS4 controller and the vibration was sublime. I should test it out with DS4.

Ahh, Rez is still awesome. If I were even a little bit more impulsive in my purchases, I'd have grabbed the PSVR already. I played straight through 1-5, lost area and X (which is very cool). Apparently I've lost my PS2-era mojo as I couldn't get any 100% clears, but maybe that will come back.

I think you just need a shoot down ratio over 95% to get the alternate Area X boss. Either that or it has something to do with the red/blue AT-STs.

I got 93.x% and beat the alternate boss, so it's something else.

SkylineRKR

I saw Rez initial download is only like 500mb but it takes like 30 minutes on PSN. I am getting sick of this. Gonna file a complaint, yet again.

KiraXD

I'm incredibly disappointed with iam8bit. They should have cut off orders if there were going to be manufacturing issues. Instead, we're left with a very broad ETA of winter, which is really unacceptable if you preordered day one like me with the belief that the physical copy would make launch window.

It's unfortunate as while I did not think they would make launch I still held out hope they would at least make October. That is not the case. At least send out a code as well to make up for the wait. I'm left with either waiting until god knows when for my killer app to get here or caving and double dipping, neither of which are great options.

i was told november.

M5H5mwv.png

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Amazzzzzzzzing OT :D
Thank you Kyonashi! Will definitely be showing this to Miz tonight :)

Real quick:

--On the FAQ: In Rez Infinite, Area 5 unlocks simply by beating Area 4 (in normal or invincible "travelling" mode); other unlockables and trophies are still there for those who want to dig deep and master the game, but this was a nod to the amount of feedback / people who "just want to chill" and play through the game. :)

--The Move motion controller is indeed supported (when playing in VR) -- you can aim with it, or aim with your headset and just use it for buttons.

--The menus were redesigned to keep them the same in or out of VR (and so you weren't flipping through pages / jumping screens in VR), and simplify the help text that shows you how to unlock things, etc. Tbh, I missed the old separate "stage select" screen at first, but have grown to prefer the cleaner & simpler layout. Or maybe I'm just used to it? I'm not exactly impartial!

--Area X has a "Shot Down %" rating after the credits, but only when you aren't playing in "travelling" (invincible) mode. I'll be curious to see how fast anyone gets 100% (afaik only one guy on the team has done it, but I'm sure the internet will fare better)

Sorry I might not be around much for the next day or two (we have a small launch event tonight) to answer comments, but here's a code for anyone who read this far!
HD6T-D2NQ-M2Q3

Thanks everyone so, so much for the all support -- Rez's incredible fanbase is the only reason this game was possible, and we're a tiny team that can use all the help we can get getting the word out :)
Thank you so much for making this! I just received my PSVR, and I'm practically daydreaming of playing Rez with it now while I'm at work :)

I have a question - does the game have visual filter modes like X360 version had? There was bloom and something else.

...Seriously?
Theyre supposed to act like a large subwofer, without having a subwoofer that would shake your walls. Actually, more delicate than that, the idea is that they provide a physical sensation in sync with the game music and action. So yeah, you're supposed to put them onto your chest, or your legs while you're sitting.

8bit

Knows the Score
On first impressions, I'm not sure about Area X. Not really bought into the gameplay and the music is a bit eh, it looks amazing but something is off.

cilonen

Area X. VR. in ear monitors and SubPac.

Wow. I think I cried a little bit, then laughed aloud.

By far one of the most awesome experiences I've had in this medium,

Thank you so much for making this! I just received my PSVR, and I'm practically daydreaming of playing Rez with it now while I'm at work :)

I have a question - does the game have visual filter modes like X360 version had? There was bloom and something else
I checked this last night and I saw no options for bloom or blur like in HD unfortunately

KiraXD

I checked this last night and I saw no options for bloom or blur like in HD unfortunately

damn this is disappointing. i loved playing with bloom and some of the other trippy effects... is it really not there? (if i remember it was for certain modes in HD?)

fuck iam8bit, i was hoping the shipping horror stories i heard of them werent true... i was desprately hoping id get my hard copy this week...

looks like im going back to HD to practice... gotta re-learn the score-chain-pathing.

Some tips for advanced players:

Remember you can hold onto pickups through the layer transition to add to score chains in the next layer. (unlock the Layer cube, then hold X on a health or overdrive pickup as you transition to the next layer

Also remember that unlocking the Layer cube (the countdown cube at the end of each layer) then linking it with an enemy also adds score-chains... so like, unlock the layer cube, chain a couple enemies, then chain the rest of the link with the cube... (so if you have 2 enemies locked on, you can get an additional 6 from the countdown cube towards you chain score.

There ARE optimal paths, and links.. know when to chain pick-ups, enemies, missles, and layer cubes for optimal scores.

CLEEK

Rez is one of my all time favourites, so a vanilla PS4 port would have been exciting enough.

But holy shit at PSVR + Rez. Pitch perfect launch title and has entirely sold me on PSVR.

Never played Rez before. Opinions?

My opinion is that you're a bad person.

KiraXD

Never played Rez before. Opinions?

its an absolutely timeless game... i mean look at it, other than higher resolution resolution, its a game thats held up through 3 console generations... its one of the rare games that will never look bad due to its art style and graphical style, the gameplay is amazing and addictive (others have said... easy to pick up, hard to master) and it DOESNT get boring once youve finished it.

Its literally the one game ive bought over and over and over because i STILL love playing it, the music is tremendously good, its so addicting trying to get top scores or get a better score than your last, or figuring out new strategies for gaining more points... Playing different modes like Boss Rush, or Direct Assault (play through the entire game in one sitting) gives a little more variety for those who want it, though the meat of the game is definitely the main game and score attack... i was in the top 300-400 at one point in Rez HD on the leaderboards (currently sitting at 500)

(And this is based on Rez and Rez HD, i cant even comment on Rez Infinite and Area X yet... waiting on Physical Copy to come... :(

Bought this and 100% this on 360. Pre ordered this as soon as it went up without hesitation. I'll be playing this this weekend no doubt!

Can't seem to figure out how to trigger the standard boss, I keep getting the alternate one. I go into the boss in final form every time (it's almost hard not to), maybe that's it? I guess I'll try to play worse than usual and see if that works? From what people are posting it doesn't really seem tied to performance, but maybe I'm wrong?

yyr

Love the OT, just have a few suggestions about the FAQ section: "F.A.Q" looks odd without a period after the Q, and also, under "But Rez already got an HD port, didn't it? What does this add?" you could mention that Rez HD was actually limited to 720p. It's something I wasn't aware of up until recently.

Rez Infinite represents the first time we can experience this game in 1080p, let alone 4K and VR =) I have no plans to buy PSVR at this time and I still have a 768p TV, but I'm looking forward to eventually fully enjoying the new experience with my pre-ordered physical copy!

Are those extra stages and bonus stuff part of the original Rez release, or new?

Also, I kinda wish you could use the Move controllers in the non-VR mode.

Top Bottom