• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix |OT| ft. 100+ Minigames, Story Mode, and more!

Kinsei

Banned
In order to get the skill star on Quiz you need to match the rhythm perfectly. I guess I'm never getting 100% in this game.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
If you wanna save coins on the Gates, just choose the hardest difficulty---that way you can just lose a couple of times and they'll let you pass for the lowest amount of coins. There's no long-term penalty as far as I know and you can come back to them later.

I have to say

Once I got to the last set of rhythm levels, I was DREADING the possibility

That the worst level in the series is back

And then I saw Cosmic Rhythm Rally.

Though in general, I thought the game had a pretty weak final set of levels, none of the levels were the remix levels that I would have brought back.

In order to get the skill star on Quiz you need to match the rhythm perfectly. I guess I'm never getting 100% in this game.

What? That's awful

Javier

Holy shit, effin' Lockstep. I was stuck for minutes in the tutorial.

I'm not even gonna bother on a No-Miss on that one.

pHand

I struggled mightily on one of the Challenge Trains because I kept failing the hi-tempo Flipper-Flop. I switched to touch controls and got it in one try. I don't think some of the DS or Wii games translated all that well, because quickly switching from the A button to B breaks the flow for me.

Berordn

They do a really bad job at explaining lockstep, too. It's a lot simpler than the tutorial makes it.

It's just a 4 note count, and every so often you're switching from hitting 2 and 4 to hitting 1 and 3.

Lockstep is a tough one to master, but once I figured out how to master it, it became effortless, to where I was posting on NeoGAF and got like, 92 + no miss and a star at the same time

XaosWolf

I just know I'm not going to be able to 100% this game.

I know this because Love Rap and Bossa Nova will be left unpurchased in the shop where they belong.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Donna's favorite rhythm game: Tangotronic 3000

......wouldn't it make more sense if it was Blue Bear since that has donuts in the game?

Also freakin' hell at the cost to play the mini-game at the 4th gate, been spending my coins getting all the rhythm items.

Edit: UUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHH WAS AT 19 ON HARD & LOST AT THE FINAL ATTEMPT

*phew*

Today was a productive, but very stressful day for this game. I managed to Perfect a bunch of hard songs on my first go-around:

-Lockstep
-Rhythm Rally 2 + Cosmic Rhythm Rally
-Jumpin' Jazz (OK, this took two go-arounds)

So outside of remixes, Frog Hop, and Air Rally (a personal hard one for me, based on prior experience), are there any other songs I should worry about? I think the worst has already passed when it comes to Perfects haha.

I just know I'm not going to be able to 100% this game.

I know this because Love Rap and Bossa Nova will be left unpurchased in the shop where they belong.

*slow clap*

Official factual list of things they could have included besides Cosmic Rhythm Rally

Every absent stage in the series

C'mon, it isn't that bad. The new input you need to do only shows up twice in the song.

See, the change is actually not a problem. It made it better for me. I hate it because it is so damn long, it's super repetitive, and it's not terribly interesting. I'd love to have seen Fillbots 2, or Lockstep 2 (which I thought was better than 1).

Also, I played Quiz Show and got the star on the first try, yay

And the guitar one with the ghosts, it's not the strongest, but I think it's neat

Check out these recent eShop charts for Rhythm Heaven Megamix

http://nintendoeverything.com/3ds-eshop-charts-62016/

2nd place below Mario Kart 7, which worries me.

MK7 wasn't on sale on the E3 eShop sale. So I don't know what could provoke its first place other than the MK7 2DS Bundle. Does the 2DS bundle digitally have the game from the start or do you need to go to the eShop to download the game?

If its the former then it implies RH: Megamix sold really low.

Which is bad, cause I want to see more RH games come in the future. :(

I love Megamix dearly.

Dr. Buni

It also got some extra popularity with having content in Smash 4 (Sneaky Spirit in Smash 3DS, Monkey Watch and Blue Bird songs in Smash Wii U). That said, I don't think the series will ever be that popular and that is fine by me.

Just wanna say:

Exhibition Match + Tempo Up + Monster Challenge + Last game in a 7-game challenge train = PURE EVIL

Seriously, who was the sadist who came up with that?

Still beat it, though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
if you think Cosmic Rhythm Rally is bad, let me remind you that at least you just have to press buttons here, unlike in DS

Check out these recent eShop charts for Rhythm Heaven Megamix

http://nintendoeverything.com/3ds-eshop-charts-62016/

2nd place below Mario Kart 7, which worries me.

MK7 wasn't on sale on the E3 eShop sale. So I don't know what could provoke its first place other than the MK7 2DS Bundle. Does the 2DS bundle digitally have the game from the start or do you need to go to the eShop to download the game?

If its the former then it implies RH: Megamix sold really low.

Which is bad, cause I want to see more RH games come in the future. :(

I love Megamix dearly.

I love the Rhythm Heaven series and have imported all the Japanese versions and purchased each US release. I'd love to see this do well, but who knows what Nintendo's expectations even are. They can't be too confident given the lack of English vocals in the songs and eShop only release though, I suppose.

Hylian7

Did they always have it where the Perfects show up one after another after you Superb'd all games? I can't remember if it was there in the first three or not.

Some of these Perfects will be the death of me. I had Flipper Flop 2 and got past 9 Flipper Rolls and then fucked it up on a "beep beep beep" after that. That one, and any that involve pressing the same button for 99% of it (LockStep, Frog Hop, etc).

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Did they always have it where the Perfects show up one after another after you Superb'd all games? I can't remember if it was there in the first three or not.

Not sure about the other games, but Rhythm Heaven Fever also gave constant Perfect challenges once you got Superb on all games.

Bebpo

Banned
Really disappointed by this game initially. There's a bunch of story crap I can't skip, and there's no full length songs yet and just these short mini-games, which I've never been a big fan of (they were always just appetizers for the main course which was the remix), and then challenge doors that basically are "pass this or grind for retries".

The whole "keep playing" in the OP sounds like "Kirby's Air ride gets good after 30 hours!". Why can't they just make the game fun from the start?

D-Man

I should be picking this up tomorrow after I get some eShop cards and I can't wait. As someone who perfected each game in DS and Fever (except for Remix 10 in Fever), will the game be too easy for me? I got a superb on each game in the demo so I'm just curious. I'm still gonna have a blast with it regardless of the difficulty.

I should be picking this up tomorrow after I get some eShop cards and I can't wait. As someone who perfected each game in DS and Fever (except for Remix 10 in Fever), will the game be too easy for me? I got a superb on each game in the demo so I'm just curious. I'm still gonna have a blast with it regardless of the difficulty.

Good luck getting 100 on every level :v

zigg

Is anyone selling download codes for this? Might as well get some store rewards/discounts if I'm going to be forced to buy digital.

Boss Doggie

Hey, I have a question for Japanese players since I need this for something.

So the item from Dog Ninja is "Mr. Eagle". What is his name in Japanese?

Really disappointed by this game initially. There's a bunch of story crap I can't skip, and there's no full length songs yet and just these short mini-games, which I've never been a big fan of (they were always just appetizers for the main course which was the remix), and then challenge doors that basically are "pass this or grind for retries".

The whole "keep playing" in the OP sounds like "Kirby's Air ride gets good after 30 hours!". Why can't they just make the game fun from the start?

It's to ease players into getting into the rhythm. Rhythm Heaven is not that popular of a series, so it doesn't want to scare away newcomers.

Fortunately, they did have the foresight to sprinkle full-length games here and there during the opening section, like Exhibition Match, First Contact, Flockstep, and Blue Birds, so it's not like it is only easy, tutorial-like games.

Also, if your goal is to move on with the game, the Easy versions of the Gatekeeper challenges are, well, really easy. You shouldn't have much of a problem completing those, and even if you do fail you get to move on anyways after a few tries (dunno how many, I never failed more than once on any of them).

I think they did a good job with being as accommodating as possible without holding your hand too much. The jump in difficulty is really noticeable once you get past the third gate, and waiting for you afterwards is basically what would be a full-length Rhythm Heaven game.

There's also a lot of side content in addition to the main game, like a whole lot more than there is in Fever. It's actually almost daunting. This game deserved more than its $30 price tag lol.

You get a voucher with the game, so any MK7 units with 2DS would count. So I would not worry.

Overall I think that the final set of levels was the worst part of the game besides the beginning.

1. Cosmic Dance - Probably the best part of it, though I never really cared for it much. I would have rather seen Karate Man 2 from GBA, Space Ball 2, Marcher 2, or Sneaky Spirits 2.
2. Cosmic Rhythm Rally... - Really, is there anything they could have picked that is worse from the DS? I mean, they could have had Munchy Monk 2, Lockstep 2, Glee Club 2, Blue Birds 2, Fillbots 2, or Shoot-'Em-Up 2 (seriously, this and Lockstep are SHAMEFUL absences for me!). Rhythm Rally isn't that good, and this one is too long for its own good.
3. Working Dough 2 - It's not so bad as it is disappointing, especially when you consider that we could have had Cheer Readers 2.
Karate Man Senior - Now I think this is an okay level, but shit, we have five Karate Man levels! This one doesn't even do anything that new, and feels just a bit too complicated - I haven't tested this, but I'm not sure if you can play it with your eyes closed, and if you can't, that's really disappointing. Think of the great remixes of new games they could have done! The iguana one, the sumo one, the slumber party one, the dance one, all of those could have been remixed and made even more awesome.

Remix is okay, I can't say I dislike it because it is actually a real level rather than a victory lap like Fever had, but it doesn't hold up quite as well vs. GBA's final remix.

pHand

I think all of the new rhythm games can be played blind. I do find that LumBearJack's audio cues are very subtle, though, and while it's possible to differentiate between the light bulbs in the final Karate Man, it requires very fast reflexes.

Now that I think about it, I think every Fever game was playable blind. But Gold had Crop Stomp, and the GBA game had a couple of games that required visual cues (Night Walk 2 and Bunny Hop).

Hey, I have a question for Japanese players since I need this for something.

So the item from Dog Ninja is "Mr. Eagle". What is his name in Japanese?

タカさん (Taka-san). Taka can refer to either eagles or hawks, but due to its size -- it's the same eagle you ride in Super Samurai Slice -- it's most likely an eagle.

Kenstar

That cat clap game really screwed me until I realized that there is NO timing requirement for getting your cat to pop up, only for the claps, so get him out as soon as the 2nd cat appears and clap on beat.
Really wish we had Love rap 2, better in every single way than 1, in music and gameplay

They could NOT have picked a worse place for the skill star in Working Dough.

Not sure I have the patience to keep retrying for it.

Boss Doggie

タカさん (Taka-san). Taka can refer to either eagles or hawks, but due to its size -- it's the same eagle you ride in Super Samurai Slice -- it's most likely an eagle.

thanks

though I thought eagles are washi

Jeeves

That cat clap game really screwed me until I realized that there is NO timing requirement for getting your cat to pop up, only for the claps, so get him out as soon as the 2nd cat appears and clap on beat.
Really wish we had Love rap 2, better in every single way than 1, in music and gameplay
You don't need to do anything to make the cat appear at all.

Hylian7

Your cat pops up automatically. All you have to do is clap, the spin, and getting the fish.

pHand

I think Bunny Hop can be played blind, but it's extremely subtle - the timing of the big jumps can be guessed based on when the music starts up again.

Yeah, I just tried it again, both in RHM and the GBA game, and it does have different sound effects right before you launch. Honestly, though, I can barely do it with the visual cues, much less just the audio.

Night Walk 2 is definitely impossible blind, since there are no sound cues for the electric fish. Interestingly, the GBA Rat Race is actually more difficult than the 3DS version because it lacks extra sounds that the cat makes in the latter. This makes the signal-less part extra hard. No wonder I had no problem with it in RHM, despite struggling with it a lot before.

thanks

though I thought eagles are washi

Taka can refer to large birds of prey in general. Washi is more specific and does refer to eagles exclusively.

Top Bottom