• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix |OT| ft. 100+ Minigames, Story Mode, and more!

Those characters weren't in Space Soccer though, they were in Rhythm Rally.

latest

hqdefault.jpg

You're right, but you still posted an image from that awful game and for that you will be banished to the shadow realm >:[

I've always been a fan of the English vocals in Rhythm Heaven, but I can understand why people prefer the Japanese vocals in some games. Cheer Readers is not one of those games. The English vocals are perfect.

The only minigame I'm missing in this game is Love Lab. I guess the controls couldn't translate to buttons cleanly enough for Nintendo. :(

Kenstar

I've always been a fan of the English vocals in Rhythm Heaven, but I can understand why people prefer the Japanese vocals in some games. Cheer Readers is not one of those games. The English vocals are perfect.

The only minigame I'm missing in this game is Love Lab. I guess the controls couldn't translate to buttons cleanly enough for Nintendo. :(

but does English Cheer readers have NE-BA GI-BU A-PU?

NO

pHand

That fucking "All Remix" challenge, with lives than a score. I fucking hate the Machine Remix with those tweezer bulbs :<

Whose bright idea was it to speed up anything involving Rhythm Tweezers?

In some cases like Frog Hop and Karate Man, the vocalists were decent, but were let down by the sound mixing. But whoever did Fan Club and Box Show sounded bored as hell and sucked all of the joy from the songs. The German versions sounded happier.

Nintendo really stepped up their game with Fever, though. Not only were the vocalists much better -- the lead female vocalist for the Remixes knocked it out of the park -- but I felt that the translations flowed better as well.

but does English Cheer readers have NE-BA GI-BU A-PU?

NO

This person knows what's up. HEY YOU CAN DO!

Cmagus

I've already put so much time into this and it's nice that people can get a chance to play the original games. It's a really nice package and a good collection of mini games. I would say my only complaint is the story mode. I found the story just got in the way and personally I just like having the game columns where you pick and play.I really wish I could just click to skip the long winded story stuff. I was happy when you get to some of the tower areas and the layout follows the rows like the originals.

Hylian7

I'm sure most know this already, but the bonus games can appear as Perfect opportunities! I got Karate Man Kicks today.

Would I need a stylus to play this game? Never liked using a stylus for games but i loves Wario Ware on the GBA back in the day and this looks similar.

Kinsei

Banned
Would I need a stylus to play this game? Never liked using a stylus for games but i loves Wario Ware on the GBA back in the day and this looks similar.

You don't. It makes things a bit easier for certain games where you have to tap quickly but they can still be done perfectly with buttons.

I finally beat all of the Challenge Train challenges, too! Surprisingly, nothing in Paprika's section is as hard as that Exhibition Match challenge I complained about earlier in this thread.

Now that all of the hard stuff is out of the way, I can enjoy the game at my leisure. I spent almost all of my coins getting the stupid goat to level 200, so I have quite a bit to go to unlock everything.

The Streetpass mini-game will probably prevent me from 100%ing this game, unfortunately. I went to CEO this weekend and only winded up with 7 Streetpasses for this game... and I need 35ish, I think?

Oh, and I just wanna leave this here:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADV0aAME1QiQ

NLlMrRs.jpg

Charged my 3DS, updated the firmware, and went to buy this last night to find out it doesn't release in the UK until October. Fucking October.

:/

NX really needs to be region-free, or I'll go back to importing Nintendo systems again :(

So I just learned there is a full version of "I'm a Lady Now" (Honeybee Remix):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZWF6qi8jhE&feature=youtu.be

I always assumed all the vocal songs were produced in-house at Nintendo. Are there other remixes in the series that are like this as well?

Koi no Honey Sweet Angel
WISH ~ Kimi wo Matenakute
I Feel Fine!!
I love you Watashi no Kimi
Yagate Onna wa Kirei ni Naru Darou
Tokimeki no Story (no soundtrack release yet)

They're all produced by Tsunku, generally for performers and groups under one of his projects. You can find live performances for pretty much all of them too.

Koi no Honey Sweet Angel
WISH ~ Kimi wo Matenakute
I Feel Fine!!
I love you Watashi no Kimi
Yagate Onna wa Kirei ni Naru Darou
Tokimeki no Story (no soundtrack release yet)

They're all produced by Tsunku, generally for performers and groups under one of his projects. You can find live performances for pretty much all of them too.

This is blowing my mind right now lol.

Anything for Machine Remix? That's actually my favorite vocal track of the entire series (that I've heard, at least).

A full version presumably exists, since every other vocal remix in the series and every other vocal track in Megamix has one, it just hasn't been released yet. idk what's going on with the Megamix soundtrack release at this point, lol

Just finished up the main story mode with 100% of the skill stars and superbs, and I feel like I'm still just getting started with this game. I barely touched the challenge mode except to pick up perfects when they came up during my story mode run; I think I only bought one of the unlockable rhythm games, and my goat is only level 10.

This is an insanely generous purchase for $30.

The full length songs got me on a Rhythm Heaven music kick on youtube. Through that I discovered how the final remix was put together and holy shit I love that song even more now.

They remix the main themes of the 4 main games during the final remix and only use minigames that debuted in those respective games, with each section ending with an endless game from that same game (turned into a gate challenge in Megamix).

Here's a video of the final remix if you want to check it out.

2:00-2:25 Rhythm Tengoku theme with games
2:26-2:51 Rhythm Heaven (DS) Theme with games
2:52-3:15 Rhythm Heaven Fever theme with games
3:16-3:41 Rhythm Heaven Megamix theme with games

Just finished up the main story mode with 100% of the skill stars and superbs, and I feel like I'm still just getting started with this game. I barely touched the challenge mode except to pick up perfects when they came up during my story mode run; I think I only bought one of the unlockable rhythm games, and my goat is only level 10.

This is an insanely generous purchase for $30.

Same, I also know there is a badge for clearing another world which I assume unlocks when you buy all the songs?

I feel weird I want to move on to something else but there is a lot left to do in RHM

Didn't realise this was out yet. Awesome. Have been looking forward to this. What is the EU price?

Edit: read first post. God damnit.

zroid

Banned
Contact 2 is the first game that is really kicking my ass

Generally I hate any games where you have to call back a sequence, but there's a few in this one where the notes come faster than usual and it doesn't reflect that on-screen. Throws me off really badly. :(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Contact 2 is the first game that is really kicking my ass

Generally I hate any games where you have to call back a sequence, but there's a few in this one where the notes come faster than usual and it doesn't reflect that on-screen. Throws me off really badly. :(

something about the 3DS buttons unable to recognize really rapid A presses

it screws me up with Tempo Up Rhythm Tweezers and Machine Remix :(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Tweezers recommends you alternate A and D-Pad
it's still making me cry with Tempo Up

God I think I only cleared 2 challenges in Paprika level and I still haven't finished Remix Remix (the one that has 3 lives and makes you play the 7 remixes separately).

First Rhythm Heaven game, got past the first gate last night. Where has this been all my life? The new games they added are pretty great. Flock Step is the first game I finished without a no-miss, because of the very last beat. So many fake endings in that one.

zroid

Banned
this game never ends :lol

honestly I am still bad at Lockstep, and I don't expect I'll ever be good at it, but I think I've finally achieved a certain degree of adequacy. the main thing that helped me was to stop looking at the main screen. it really distracts from the audio cues to switch beats.

Krabboss

Cheer Readers has the largest gulf in quality between the Japanese and English vocals, if anything. The English version is far less fun.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
real talk these gate guardian things are awful

Just play it on easy.

I've got mixed feelings about them. To me, I think the games are fun in their own way - but the idea of them gating your progress and being a money sink if you fail is a huge turn off. The fact that theres no free-play continuous practice mode BEFORE you beat it is sort of frustrating. It feels too punishing, especially some of the early ones.

this game never ends :lol

honestly I am still bad at Lockstep, and I don't expect I'll ever be good at it, but I think I've finally achieved a certain degree of adequacy. the main thing that helped me was to stop looking at the main screen. it really distracts from the audio cues to switch beats.

I'm far from great at it, but if you keep count as you go its a lot easier. I never really have the desire to practice it because I don't find it to be a very fun game, but I can see how if you practiced while counting "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" then it could be something easily mastered. Like, in practice mode just counting it out and figuring out on what numbers it transitioned helped a bunch.

Squishy3

Just play it on easy.

I've got mixed feelings about them. To me, I think the games are fun in their own way - but the idea of them gating your progress and being a money sink if you fail is a huge turn off. The fact that theres no free-play continuous practice mode BEFORE you beat it is sort of frustrating. It feels too punishing, especially some of the early ones.
So now that I've encountered more than one I'd toss in my opinion again:

The coin tossing one is terrible, screw that one. The second one where you need to fork the virus' with the d-pad was excellent and felt like the concept of the pea catching minigame from Fever applied to a different minigame. (can't think of the name right now) Third one where you fill up the car with just enough gas to reach the finish line is also terrible. That's as far as I've gotten.

I think it just kills the flow of the game (which is ironic, considering all the messages about needing flow to progress forwards) and isn't fun if you just get stuck on one. Which the gate guardians admit themselves when they let you by if you fail too many times.

zroid

Banned
I guess I've been fortunate, never had much of a problem with the guardians. I usually pick the middle difficulty, and I've only failed a couple times. The car game was probably the only one which gave me trouble, although it's fine.

Well the good news is after that one you won't see them again for a long time. And just once more I think.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The slap chop one is fuckin TOUGH. But when you mess up at least its hilarious seeing dude get hit.

zroid

Banned
The slap chop one is fuckin TOUGH. But when you mess up at least its hilarious seeing dude get hit.

lol I couldn't clear it consistently in practice, so I just went for the easy mode (50 coins, oof)

I think I still missed on like 7/10 of the reps, but they were all close enough that the dude still stopped the chop before hitting him so it counted. It was weird that you could get a success on a miss.

Hylian7

I did all the guardians on hard initially, but it is ridiculous that you have to do the lower difficulties (requiring you to grind for the necessary coins) to get the endless version of the game.

I just wanted to be able to play endless Coin Flip and Sick Beats.

I was slightly disappointed the best endless game in the whole series wasn't in: Lady Cupid.

PalmtreePanic

Neo Member
Any tips on Lockstep? It's the only game I can't superb, but I feel like I'm so close to getting an 80 on it.

I can switch back and forth between the normal & off-beat, but I always miss the beat transition, if that makes any sense.

pHand

Any tips on Lockstep? It's the only game I can't superb, but I feel like I'm so close to getting an 80 on it.

I can switch back and forth between the normal & off-beat, but I always miss the beat transition, if that makes any sense.

Close your eyes. Seriously, it helps you to focus on the audio cues only. For normal to off, think of the Hai Hai Hai Ha-ha as 1 2 3 4-5, where the 5 is a half beat after the 4. Going from off-beat to on-beat is a little trickier, but when it goes Um-ha Um-ha Hai, the Hai should be a half beat after the final ha. Once it finally clicks in your brain you'll wonder why you ever had trouble with it.

Top Bottom