• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix |OT| ft. 100+ Minigames, Story Mode, and more!

Link_enfant

Just a quick question. In the EU version, can you still quickly switch between the different song languages in the café, including the Japanese and the other eu languages?

I've just started playing the EU game and unlocked the Cafe, there you can indeed switch between Japanese and English (+ others? not sure) languages.

Fireblend

Banned
Duuuuuuuuuuuude.

But yeah, the story in this game is a pain in the arse. Once you complete it you can just play everything from a menu kind of like the old games though and that improves the overall experience a great deal.

:O really? Where can I find that? I'm done with the campaign already, haven't seen that anywhere.

I'm a musician, have great rhythm, and had cleared everything with a gold pedestal except for Lock Step. It was the only game that gave me trouble. Here's what I did to finally get the gold.
1. Switch to simple tap controls and use the stylus
2. Hold your 3DS in such a way that you can tap with the stylus in one hand and tap one of your fingers on your other hand to keep the off rhythm.

Keeping time with both hands throughout the game helped me a lot, and the tap controls are the only way I'd ever clear that. The button press is a little too sensitive for that game. Other than that, just getting used to the voice cue for when to switch up is the tricky part. You'll get it in 2 or 3 tries once you switch to simple tap and keep time with both hands. I did, anyway.

THANKS YOU. I'll try this sometime later. I already experimented with Simple Tap, but not with using both hands. And I have pretty much the same background as you; musician (percussionist, even!) and can ace everything else except this one game. I've probably memorized all the cues by now, though!

:O really? Where can I find that? I'm done with the campaign already, haven't seen that anywhere.

It's in the cafe, on the far right. I believe it opens up pretty early on in the game.

Semajer

I got this yesterday. Is it just me, or are the perfect timings really, really strict compared to previous games? If not, have I really gotten that shit since the Wii game?

magnetic

I thought that this game would interest me more in other rhythm games, but having these self contained scenes with different styles and patterns tied to a specific song and theme is just so different from the usual rhythm titles where just arrows or circles fly across the screen.

I mean, I kinda enjoy Theathrythm once in a while, but usually have enough after a few songs, whereas I could played Rhythm Heaven for hours.

Megamix is such a great mix of heavy nostalgia for me - remembering where and who I was when I imported Tengoku and later played Heaven. With the amount of love this game has I definitely see myself picking this up every once in a while for years and years.

I'm so happy we got this game - that it exists. Such a unique, quirky, adorable series that can't be compared to anything else.

Fraeon

Loving it so far (just beat the first towers) but the addition of cutscenes and long bouts of pointless dialogue is my least favorite addition to the series. One of the things I really like(d) about the other games is how simple they are.

Omg just got to Blue Bear 😭

Was iffy on this game so far but that's now one of my favourite songs in all of Rhythm Heaven.

Link_enfant

I've played through the whole game using the stylus and felt it was perfectly fine, but I'm curious to go with the button mode to see the difference and if I can hit a better timing in some games.
Can you only use the A button in the mini-games or also other buttons/D-pad?
For some reason I'm not really comfortable using only A :/

eXistor

I have no problems with the A button, I can't imagine playing it with the stylus to be honest, seems very cumbersome. Great game btw, I wish it was all new games, but they managed to keep it fresh enough. The 3D is great too.

In The Snappy Trio the single super fast clap (that rewards the star) has an insane point weighting to it.

Was only managing a score ~73-76 while hitting every other note, and then when I barely hit it (nowhere near perfect timing) I got a score of 91.

Ah well, I've got my medal for 80+ at least lol.

dock

I've already kinda stopped playing, and I still haven't found a single Remix. :(
Is anyone else having trouble staying interested in this compared to previous ones?

Intel_89

I just beat the main mode,I don't understand why this has so many unlockable songs that could've been used instead of having two or three versions of the same games. On top of that, there should be more remix stages, those have always been the big standouts of the series and they're here as well, I just wish there were more of them. For the record, it took me 6 hours to go through the main mode which is pretty lenghty when compared to any other game in the series, if we ignore the fact that the majority of the songs in this one are from said previous titles.

Beat the game, got at least 80+ on everything for the medals.

Spent a little time getting perfects to buy the extra games, but the allure of playing minigames I already have on the old games isn't enough to push through the grind.

Also, holy shit at the amount of coin grinding you have to do to buy everything, after beating the game I managed to get maybe 20-30% of the rhythm items? And after those there's the music too.

Definitely the weakest in the franchise, story does nothing but slow it down, navigating game to game is a pain, and the start is way too easy. Games near the end were early game stuff in previous titles. I really enjoyed some of the new stuff though, Blue Bear and Kitties were especially fantastic.

Will keep it in my 3DS for when I want to play a quick game or two, but moving onto other games now.

Intel_89

I actually think the new chameleon minigame is the best thought out one, along side with Kitties. Every other new minigame is pretty straightforward.

I've already kinda stopped playing, and I still haven't found a single Remix. :(
Is anyone else having trouble staying interested in this compared to previous ones?

Yeah, I've been feeling this as well. I think I'm just not enjoying how they structured this one. Rhythm Heaven Fever had a gratifying loop where you'd play a bunch of tracks, build up to a Remix, and repeat, while gradually ramping up the beat difficulty. I'm not actually sure how far I got into Megamix, as it's been months since I last turned it on, but it felt like a seriously slow burn compounded by a slow drip of tracks I found memorable. A lot of people in here have said it builds momentum with a great back half, so I'm sure I'll get back to it at some point.

Haganeren

I'm still working on unlocking stuff (i have NO idea how i will be able to perfect lock step even with tap control... I even have issue with the frog song and never cleared the hard version of the "hit on the head" mini game... Man is it expensive !)

But it is an amazing game. I don't mind the story at all, it was cute but having only 10 remixes (which are not as good as the Wii version) was indeed kinda disappointing. That's the only downside i see, i loved Rhythm HEaven since the first one and will never let it go !

Hum.... I just fear that it was the "final episode" or something. I mean a new one can't realistically have 100 games.... So what will they do ?

Mafro

I don't like the new structure of these wacky characters talking in between mini games. I didn't play the Wii version so I dunno if that was the same in that. Much preferred the GBA and DS versions where you just went from one mini game to another, followed by the remix.

Andyliini

I bought this game about a week ago, and finished the story mode yesterday. This was my first game in the series, and I liked it. And after watching it on YouTube many times, I eas finally able to play Ring Side on my own. It was still one of the best game there were in this package. I didn't like Glee Club or Lockstep, I found it difficult to change the rhythm during the game.

Maybe I'll play the Wii game one day, too.

Intel_89

I don't like the new structure of these wacky characters talking in between mini games. I didn't play the Wii version so I dunno if that was the same in that. Much preferred the GBA and DS versions where you just went from one mini game to another, followed by the remix.

The Wii version works like the other games and it's well worth picking up, it still looks great on an HD TV even though the Wii outputs at 480p.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Bought it, haven't played since the first one on the DS... Did I grow old or WHAT ?
Some bullshit. But awesome game. But some bullshit.

But awesome game.

Oddish1

This was my first game in the series and I liked the story. Thought it was funny and cute and was glad it was there.

derFeef

This was my first game in the series and I liked the story. Thought it was funny and cute and was glad it was there.

Same. But I can see where everyone is coming from. Also if you get to the towers it's pretty straightforward anyway.

Beat the game, got at least 80+ on everything for the medals.

Spent a little time getting perfects to buy the extra games, but the allure of playing minigames I already have on the old games isn't enough to push through the grind.

Also, holy shit at the amount of coin grinding you have to do to buy everything, after beating the game I managed to get maybe 20-30% of the rhythm items? And after those there's the music too.

Definitely the weakest in the franchise, story does nothing but slow it down, navigating game to game is a pain, and the start is way too easy. Games near the end were early game stuff in previous titles. I really enjoyed some of the new stuff though, Blue Bear and Kitties were especially fantastic.

Will keep it in my 3DS for when I want to play a quick game or two, but moving onto other games now.

I think it's the strongest in the franchise in terms of the games it contains, but it's certainly the weakest in terms of structure. When playing through the game for the first time, the story is completely unwelcome and just gets in the way. The lack of remixes in the first half of the game spoils the flow that worked well in the previous games. The guardian challenges feel like a waste of coins that would otherwise be used on unlockables. And actually navigating the menus is a pain. If you want to just quickly play specific games, you have to go to the Cafe, scroll along to the far right, and then access games from there.

It has the best replay value of any Rhythm Heaven game, but the first playthrough is the most tedious.

MrPanic

I finally managed to unlock and perfect campaign all the minigames, feels good man. Also went around to score 90+ on all the minigames. For my first Rhythm Heaven game I don't feel it took me that long to get good at it. Amazing game though, will definitely keep playing it.

-shadow-

Received my copy a couple of days ago and have been playing pretty much non stop. Replaying songs getting those rhythm stars and clearing some songs with a Perfect song is great. Really surprised how much the production value has improved with this game over the previous two (and assuming also the GBA game), it's really great that this is a budget title because it really feels rather premium with all the improvements with the same price tag.

Side note, the 3D effect while nothing special is really fun.

-shadow-

I have to ask, but anyone else having problems with 'Ninja Bodyguard'? It's the only minigame that I just flat out can't get a medal on. It's bizarre because most I've already perfected and yet this one is there mocking me with that silver border.

Kenstar

I have to ask, but anyone else having problems with 'Ninja Bodyguard'? It's the only minigame that I just flat out can't get a medal on. It's bizarre because most I've already perfected and yet this one is there mocking me with that silver border.

gave me trouble on a challenge train where it was 5 or six games and the last one was that, with no mistakes allowed. Specifically when they fire 4 arrows near the end

Piers

The marching birds and air rally (2) songs got stuck in my head for days.
Also glad the sneaky ghosts one is a fan favourite

llehuty

The marching birds and air rally (2) songs got stuck in my head for days.
Also glad the sneaky ghosts one is a fan favourite
Air rally 2 is one of the best songs in the game. It puts me in a good mood instantly.

And, yeah, for the next entry, I don't know what they could add that could justify a new one. Maybe double down on the remix side of things? An Osu vs Rhythm Tengoku cross over?

Air rally 2 is one of the best songs in the game. It puts me in a good mood instantly.

And, yeah, for the next entry, I don't know what they could add that could justify a new one. Maybe double down on the remix side of things? An Osu vs Rhythm Tengoku cross over?

More stages and no story mode, and I'm in.

If they make another one, they need to ditch the fucking stupid system that only allows you to go for a Perfect at specific random times. If I clear a stage without making a mistake at ANY point, that should yield a Perfect.

-shadow-

gave me trouble on a challenge train where it was 5 or six games and the last one was that, with no mistakes allowed. Specifically when they fire 4 arrows near the end

Yeah it's really weird because this one is the very last minigame that I just can't beat with a gold medal. Really annoying! :p

pariah164

... Huh. (Challenge Mode unlock spoilers):

I just unlocked a course called "Wario... Where?" in which characters are replaced in some games with Wario Ware characters. It's a cute, fun shout-out. I never played Wario Ware, but this made me want to go track down a copy.

I'm a huge rhythm heaven fan, but the story is just getting in the way. How does this continue through the store as I just started.

All the games you play show up in the Cafe, in the Museum. I don't know if they show up before you play them since I did the whole story first (and it takes way too long imo, especially if you go for Skill Stars on the first clear). Then there are extra games you can buy in the Cafe store that aren't in the story. You get the currency for those by doing Perfect Campaigns and challenges.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I wonder if Nintendo is planning a WarioWare Best +. I mean Ko Takeuchi basically has to be drawing one game or the other.

Hexagon!

Yeah, when I heard there was going to be a story in this game, I pictured something with Karate Joe and the Wrestler/Reporter duo being parts of the plot. I was a bit let down when I discovered it was all new characters.

As of February 1st, there's a Club Nintendo reward (80 gold coins) that gets you 30% off of this game. I've been considering ever since. I just can't quite pull the trigger for some reason.

As of February 1st, there's a Club Nintendo reward (80 gold coins) that gets you 30% off of this game. I've been considering ever since. I just can't quite pull the trigger for some reason.

You're never going to get it with a better discount than that, and there's sod all else to spend those coins on, so get to it.

javadoze

I just got this as part of the mynintendo discount.

Part of me can't decide whether I do better at the minigames either with my thumb resting on the A button or slightly hovering above it.

Top Bottom