• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick & Morty [Mafia] |OT| Someone's been spending too much time around glowing rocks

Faddy

Banned
Believe it or not sometimes it's okay to let something sit for a while before you press it. You can get way more out of posts if you let them marinate and get some responses and reactions without blowing your load so quick.

As far as my opinions, shockingly they are the opposite of faddys. I town read the wizards reversal there. His opinion involved pushing a vote and then visibly retracting it. That's the type of attention scum generally would want to avoid. It's tangible something he can be held accountable for.

Penguin on the other hand is non commital. He basically says yea that's a pretty good point I guess he could be town. And then pushes a weird statement calling ccs's townness into question. Ccs is the hardest confirmed town in the game right now, there's no taking it on faith. It is a fact. (And if it's not then the actual other mason can see me after class) overall don't like this post.

But faddy had no issue with it because he's committed to the line of penguin being town. So he's not going to attack their posts ever. Cause that's way harder to do as scum.

So being non-committal is scum says the player actively avoiding committing to anything

You are being far too obnoxious

VOTE: Kawl_USC

Kawl_USC

People have to have some intuition about alignments or this wouldn't be mafia. I town read Penguin and I has no reason to doubt that read right now.

What you have done is refuse to give any information so we can't read how your view point has changed through the game. Mine is out there in the open. Go look at my scum list, it has evolved through the game. If I was scum I would have been caught in a contradiction by now.

You don't have any reason to doubt that read because you are refusing to even look at his posts. Your thoughts on his backpedaling were literally his town why do I give a shit. Intuition and gut is a crucial part of mafia yes but you are just tunneling on both your town and scum reads which is either piss poor play or scum.

Faddy

Banned
Lol also take a hike with this. At the very least I kept people from lynching fat on day 3 which was the far inferior target which helped give us an additinal conftown today.

You saved one town and lynched another. Good job.

Also nice of you to want to remind people of your Town Credit, didn't you vote for Swamped for exactly that reason as well.

Kawl_USC

So being non-committal is scum says the player actively avoiding committing to anything

You are being far too obnoxious

VOTE: Kawl_USC
If you think I'm not committing to things simply because I haven't put down a complete full reads lists, I don't know what to tell you. There are more thing to mafia than just read lists. I'm a very opinionated player and that is evident in this game. Look beyond the one dimensional thinking in terms of what a contribution is to the game state.

Faddy

Banned
If you think I'm not committing to things simply because I haven't put down a complete full reads lists, I don't know what to tell you. There are more thing to mafia than just read lists. I'm a very opinionated player and that is evident in this game. Look beyond the one dimensional thinking in terms of what a contribution is to the game state.

Stop telling me about all these opinions you have and start telling the thread.

Other than a feigned annoyance at a lazy town i have no idea.

Kawl_USC

You saved one town and lynched another. Good job.

Also nice of you to want to remind people of your Town Credit, didn't you vote for Swamped for exactly that reason as well.
If you don't understand that having fat alive today as confirmed town is better than having zeemumu around as an unknown I have no idea what to tell you. Not to mention there was no good choice that day. I was vocal that I didn't believe either of the targets were scum, simply that zeemumu was the better of two bad choices.

Swampeds was unprompted. Mine was in response to the gauntlet you threw down. So yea again sorry you don't understand context.

Faddy

Banned
If you don't understand that having fat alive today as confirmed town is better than having zeemumu around as an unknown I have no idea what to tell you. Not to mention there was no good choice that day. I was vocal that I didn't believe either of the targets were scum, simply that zeemumu was the better of two bad choices.

Swampeds was unprompted. Mine was in response to the gauntlet you threw down. So yea again sorry you don't understand context.

Zeusy was a good choice. Explain how having Zeusy alive is better than having Zeemumu alive.

And you didn't know Fat was town confirmed until Sorian told us yesterday ... unless you are scum.

Verelios

Yes, those 4 always end up having votes on people being lynched. And while some of them being confirmed town maybe they were just tunneling. I do see a lot of people thinking wizard as scum...so I'm not alone there
So what was the connection between the four that proves you right? If two are confirmed town* then 1/2 your list is completely unrelated. Doesn't seem like a valid theory.
How is he town?

You responses are arbitrary and guided completely by the alignments you've already committed to believing in.

That strikes me as way scummier than either of their responses. Scum generally pick some people to push as scum and stick with it and are also confident in pushing their reads (cause obviously those are right). It becomes hard to naturally reassess new information in a vacuum because they've already hard committed to playing with people as a certain alignment, some of which they know to be wrong.
I don't think tunneling is a uniquely scum trait. Everyone does it when they've convinced themselves of a read or eventuality and it seems like scum would rather not repeatedly push for town when that could be taken and analyzed against them. Unless it's a move to bus.

Fat4all

Banned
Sorry for being absent the last couple hours, I was taking a bit of drinky time away with friends.

We have about 24 hours left now with the reduced day period, and so far Dr. Worm hasn't made any sort of appearance which I find worrying. They started the game being fairly active, but over the course of the game has decreased in activity more and more. I've always been worried about Zeusy, but honestly at this point I don't know if it's worth the risk to lynch them. I highly doubt that they would offer any sort of insight if pressed anyways.

In this last 24 hours I'm gonna be all about this game, if anyone wants to bounce idea or theories off of me I'll be around til the end of the day building and posting some reads.

My current thoughts though are as follows:

02. Dr. Worm [m] - Pushed heavily against me early on which was concerning but understandable considering how I was playing on day 1 and day 2, but as soon as scum started putting pressure against me, they backed off in a major way, even before I was confirmed. Maybe they didn't want to seem like scum, or maybe they were starting to make up for the fact that they had a scum read on me for so long, but their quick back down reads a bit more like self conservation than some sort of planning. They had a few weird reads and votes yesterday, but besides that they could go either way. Neutral, not worth taking the risk today imo.

07. Zeusy [m] - Very high likelyhood of being coasting scum, but the nature of the coasting scum means this is a 50/50 shot of being that or just a not very good town player/neutral. Probable scum, but again, probably not worth the risk today when we need to hit scum.

10. Kawl_USC [m] - Kawl has been up and down for me most of the game. Early on they read as scum for a few reasons; their insistence on certain standards that they just barely met themselves, like emphasizing the importance of posting long, informative reads and posts in general, but then ghosting for a few days after posting 10-11 times with a slight bit of fluff mixed in. They got back into the game and contributed more seriously on days 3/4, which has been good, but there's still the slight feeling of them laying down standards that others should follow while not quite pulling it off themselves. Leans slightly scum.

11. The Wizard [m] - This is a bit weird. The Wizard doesn't really post a whole lot, but they do try and get as much as they can into the posts they do make, which is nice. They make the effort to try and respond to others, though sometimes it's a bit infrequent to the levels in which they commit to basing claims against others. I can see where they are currently going with their push on Penguin to a point, but it did seem like a fairly base-level move. Though, this doesn't quite read as scum play to me, it reads more like rust or maybe inexperience, which is ironic as the same kind of applies with Penguin. Slight town read.

14. Verelios [m] - Very reactive, a bit like Ouro or Faddy. Good at laying out their logic and reasoning. Ever since they entered the game they've been fairly proactive when it comes to going against others or challenging them on certain things, which has lead to some good conversations in some point, even if they haven't quite lead to scum being found. Probably my highest town read in the group of unconfirmed players.

15. Faddy [m] - I like the way Faddy plays. A bit more loose, like a Sorian-type but with a bit more cheek. Because of this I've had a fairly strong town-read on them for most of the game. They are consistent in their votes most of the time, but aren't afraid to back down when they know it won't go in their favor. But, this strong play is also something that could be a major benefit to the scum team, and could be what's kept them afloat without catching a single lynch for so long. Even though, that's just a possible gut feeling on my end, other than that I'd say they are likely town.

16. SalvaPot [m] - Salva on the other hand is a bit more of a loose cannon, not quite on a Blargonaut level but still a bit of a frustration. The way they play is a bit inconsistent and abrasive with other players, as well is their knack for not giving clear answers. This kind of low level chaos in a player can actually be helpful to town in some situations, but I'm not certain if it's been helpful this game. Insistent and assured, and a bit callus to other players experiences ahead of their own. Having this out in the open would of likely lead them to get a lot more heat in other games, but they've been able to skirt a lot of pressure because of the general lack of activity that has kinda haunted this game. All these things have me worried, because it could go either way. Playing in such an open way is dangerous for both a town and scum, and it's not quite indicative of either side, really. Neutral.

17. Nomadic Sparks [m] - There's either some cruel irony going on here or Nomadic is just unlucky, but I've gone around in my thoughts for a while at the possible allegiance of the vote blocker. I thought at first that they were neutral, but the more I mull it over the more I think our vote blocker is scum. Scum trying to angle and distract with their targets, or to try and direct town in a certain way. Vote blocking Nomadic seems like a direct correlation to their comments on the subject yesterday, so hitting them would likely give town a nudge into lynching them. But, what if Nomadic knew this would happen? There's also the possibility that Nomadic as a scum could of set this up so that the action would look so obvious that town wouldn't even bother considering them as scum. I might be overthinking this, maybe because I've been on the side of the vote block being used against me, but that mixed in with their coasting (to a degree) style of play could very well be a thing. I'm currently leaning scum.

21. Penguin [m] - Penguin has such a thick layer of inexperience surrounding them I'm honestly not sure how much of it is real or played up as a tactic. I think without a doubt it's being used as a crutch slightly, but as we get further and further into the game people start pushing such excuses to the side. They've been active, and usually get votes in early which is good, but they rarely waiver from their original vote, almost as if they had planned to get their uncontroversial vote in early and then just ride out the rest of the day while everyone else fretted by the days end. This seems like slightly high level play for a scum, but again, are they playing up their inexperience? It's really hard to say. Voting for Bronx because of pre-game talk was one of those things that could of been a smoke screen of inexperience, but it could of just been not quite understanding how these games go. Light scum feel on this one.

-

These are just some small things I've been mulling over, I need to take the time to read the stuff I've missed since I started boozing up last night. I'll probably end up doing a deep-dive post or two, where I go back over some players post history in the game and see if I can;t see a pattern in there, who knows.

Again, I'm gonna be around for most of this last 24 hours of the day, so if you wanna bounce stuff off of me I'll be here.

Kawl_USC

So what was the connection between the four that proves you right? If two are confirmed town* then 1/2 your list is completely unrelated. Doesn't seem like a valid theory.

I don't think tunneling is a uniquely scum trait. Everyone does it when they've convinced themselves of a read or eventuality and it seems like scum would rather not repeatedly push for town when that could be taken and analyzed against them. Unless it's a move to bus.
Scum are way more likely to tunnel someone as town, especially when the person they are stanning for hasn't made any move to pocket them. That's what standing out to me here. Faddys post about penguin is bad.

Kawl_USC

Zeusy was a good choice. Explain how having Zeusy alive is better than having Zeemumu alive.

And you didn't know Fat was town confirmed until Sorian told us yesterday ... unless you are scum.
Because it cut off half of the fucking frenzy regarding the day 2 end votes. If zeemumu was still alive there's no way half of town wouldn't be frothing at the mouth to lunch them to find the scum the kalor votes were protecting.

And please, don't insult my intelligence. I firmly believe without my posts on day 3 fat gets lynched over zee (call that egotism or w/e) meaning the game state now includes one less conf town exists now. Sure that benefit was contingent on sorian happening to pick fat but who cares I'll take it. Still makes me more useful than half this town this game.

Faddy

Banned
Because it cut off half of the fucking frenzy regarding the day 2 end votes. If zeemumu was still alive there's no way half of town wouldn't be frothing at the mouth to lunch them to find the scum the kalor votes were protecting.

And please, don't insult my intelligence. I firmly believe without my posts on day 3 fat gets lynched over zee (call that egotism or w/e) meaning the game state now includes one less conf town exists now. Sure that benefit was contingent on sorian happening to pick fat but who cares I'll take it. Still makes me more useful than half this town this game.

If you had voted for Zeusy he would have died.

Fat4all

Banned
The vote block is the crux of this.If Nomadic is scum, that's a very high chance that the vote block is scum and this was just a little gambit to take heat off from the slip yesterday. It is also possible the vote block is from a town or neutral, in which case, Nomadic could be any alignment and they just blocked him to stop his votes that are never well thought out but it seems to convenient to me.

I'm thinking there's a certain kind of reverse going on here as well, where originally the vote block was used to apply pressure, but as soon as that was found out, it's now being used to try and take pressure off of Nomadic. It seems like such a strange way to use the ability, but if that's the case then it's almost certainly a scum who has the vote block ability.

Unfortunately, thinking in this way can be very risky, as it could go either way;

- Nomadic is being set up to have people lynch him due to the shady circumstances

or

- Nomadic is protected scum because it would look too obvious as a scum trap, and town wouldn't want to mislynch again.

Faddy

Banned
And I posted that day when I voted for zee that I didn't scum read zeusy. I still don't. I just think he's kind of a dick of a mafia player.

But I thought you were townreading Fat and Zee as well and you picked the better player to save. So why didn't you vote to lynch Zeusy?

Fat4all

Banned
And I posted that day when I voted for zee that I didn't scum read zeusy. I still don't. I just think he's kind of a dick of a mafia player.

I think he's scum, but now I've come around to the fact that lynching him at this point is just too damn risky. If I was more active and not distracted in the early game I could of made a proper attempt at getting them lynched, but it's just too late of a gamble to make at this point.

If scum wins and Zeusy is scum, I'm gonna carry that L.

Kawl_USC

But I thought you were townreading Fat and Zee as well and you picked the better player to save. So why didn't you vote to lynch Zeusy?
Go read post 1417. But your posts st that day end continues to show you don't actually read posts or give a shit what is said beyond pushing your tunnels. So never mind lol.

Faddy

Banned
Go read post 1417. But your posts st that day end continues to show you don't actually read posts or give a shit what is said beyond pushing your tunnels. So never mind lol.

I called that you would attempt to de-rail any Zeusy train. I didn't nail how you would do it but it still happened.

Kawl_USC

I called that you would attempt to de-rail any Zeusy train. I didn't nail how you would do it but it still happened.
Didn't nail how it would happen, aka completely ignored the entire point I was making that day. No wonder you think I haven't done anything :eyeroll:

Kawl_USC

I think he's scum, but now I've come around to the fact that lynching him at this point is just too damn risky. If I was more active and not distracted in the early game I could of made a proper attempt at getting them lynched, but it's just too late of a gamble to make at this point.

If scum wins and Zeusy is scum, I'm gonna carry that L.
If you think he's scum then you need to push it man. Why is lynching him in particular a gamble?

My current thoughts though are as follows:
[...]
I like this post, those reads are making a lot of sense to me for now. I agree with what you said for Penguin also and that's part of why I was conflicted in pushing too hard for him. I can definitely see some similarities in our playstyles in terms of the sometimes half-baked theories. I know in my case I'm still new to this and trying to get a feel for it, I don't know how many recent games Penguin has played in order to give him the benefit of the doubt.

One thing which I didn't like and which sorta twigged my scum radar was the way Penguin was subtly pushing for us to still lynch Fat after the voteblocks had been set up in such manner that it seemed like a fat lynch might have been part of the scum agenda early on day 4. I could see this as a more naive scum player trying to incorporate the scum chat discusion (let's setup Fat!) into their day play.
Outside of that, I agree it's probably time to see where Fat's allegiance lies, skirted by what 2-3 days in a row now? If he is flipped, we'll be able to see who has voted for him or saved him from going down.
Again though I am weary and when re-reading his posts I certainly saw the town potential.

In terms of the voteblock, it does seem a little cute that Nomadic gets blocked after causing so much hullabaloo about the ability yesterday. If it was a 3-shot and he let it slip accidentally now would be the perfect time to claim being blocked as scum. The threat that anyone who votes for him is going to be scum doesn't particularly help his case here.
With regard to Zeusy, I do see him as likely being scum. I hate that the way he's playing could be such an effective scum strategy as it just seems lazy. Even accusing confirmed town today is just so egregious that it would make anyone cautious when voting for him. People don't want an obvious choice this late into the game, but maybe that's why he's been able to survive for so long. Don't think he should be completely off the table, a scum flip for Zeusy would have some utility in that it would help place Faddy in my book.

Fat4all

Banned
If you think he's scum then you need to push it man. Why is lynching him in particular a gamble?

Because it's a scum read that doesn't play into anything other than general inactivity and bad play, which isn't unique to scum. I'd feel safer pushing for their lynch again once we have at least one scum lynch under our belts.

Sorian

Banned
I can get behind a Kawl lynch in a bubble but the fact that Faddy is pushing it is what worries me. I scum read Faddy way more than Kawl and this is not w/w.

Fat4all

Banned
One thing which I didn't like and which sorta twigged my scum radar was the way Penguin was subtly pushing for us to still lynch Fat after the voteblocks had been set up in such manner that it seemed like a fat lynch might have been part of the scum agenda early on day 4. I could see this as a more naive scum player trying to incorporate the scum chat discusion (let's setup Fat!) into their day play.

I could see what Penguin (and Ouro at the time) were going for, which is why I never really challenged them on the topic in any major way, as it was suspicious for me to of been dragged so many days forward out of equal parts luck and straightening out on my end. I dunno if Penguin was just kind of sheeping Ouro's play at the time, or if they were scum trying to stick with the plan to lynch me that day, but either was as soon as Sorian claimed they jumped out of that immediately, even while Ouro stayed skeptical.

It's a bit similar to their Arkham play in a way, where they kind of followed along with others ideas and plans more than make their own, but it's hard tell how much is on purpose and how much is part of their own plan. It certainly reads like new player, even into this game. I dunno, maybe I want them to be more complex in their play then they actually are.

There's still the potential they are scum, though. I would never brush it all off to inexperience completely.

Faddy

Banned
I can get behind a Kawl lynch in a bubble but the fact that Faddy is pushing it is what worries me. I scum read Faddy way more than Kawl and this is not w/w.

What issues do you have with me? And did you go with acohrs yesterday because I said not to?

FWIW I think Nomadic is still a decent choice for today as well. If I had to guess at a scum team right now it would be

Kawl, Zeusy, Nomadic, Wizard and Worm

Sorian

Banned
What issues do you have with me? And did you go with acohrs yesterday because I said not to?

FWIW I think Nomadic is still a decent choice for today as well. If I had to guess at a scum team right now it would be

I said my main complaint a few days ago and it's never really changed. You've been trying to get people to go to certain lynches in times of desperation. Like when I was refusing to lynch Fat, instead of letting me sit on whoever I was, you told me I had to switch to your vote so we could consolidate and had a chance to save Fat. It's opportunistic and you've done it more than once. My wanting to lynch acohrs had very little to do with you but my theory that Zeusy is town does have to do with my guess that you are scum.

Faddy

Banned
I said my main complaint a few days ago and it's never really changed. You've been trying to get people to go to certain lynches in times of desperation. Like when I was refusing to lynch Fat, instead of letting me sit on whoever I was, you told me I had to switch to your vote so we could consolidate and had a chance to save Fat. It's opportunistic and you've done it more than once. My wanting to lynch acohrs had very little to do with you but my theory that Zeusy is town does have to do with my guess that you are scum.

We've played a few games together, that is just how I play. And that particular lynch should tell you something.

If you are sure me and Kawl aren't w/w then if I am scum then Zeusy is town because there is no way I was stepping off that vote and worked my ass off to try and get it but Kawl stepped in and went with Zee which flipped CCS.

Is it possible I am bussing Zeusy? Yes and I do have a weird relationship with him considering I hammered acohrs for his tunnelling and then went on to do the same.

Something in my favour I think should be on day 3 when I was quite aggressive against your read of the situation and I actually had a vote typed out on you but decided to re-read with the perspective that both you and fat were town and everything made a lot more sense.

This post was going to mention town reading you as well but I thought that was coming on a bit strong

Going to follow into this

Vote: zeusy

I'm giving fat the big town read now. Perhaps I am being naive but if I take that to its logical conclusion then scum were going to be going hard for him today since he sort of just faded away on day 2. Of the people who voted for fat so far I find zeusy the most suspicious, town confirm CCS is already on him. Time to get this wagon started.

But when it came to end of day list I specifically mentioned that you had gone up in my estimations.

Coming up on deadline time to revisit the rankings

TOWN
CCS
Penguin
Giant Panda
Swamped*
Fat4All
acohrs
Sorian
Dr Worm
Ourobolous
Nomadic Sparks
SalvaPot
zeemumu
Dusk Soldier
The Wizard
Kawl_USC
*Splinter
zeusy
SCUM

Obviously Splinter has massively tumbled down the rankings and less sure about Dr Worm. Big rises for acohrs and Fat4All. Mild rise for Sorian.

Verelios

I've become more and more down on Worm as I reread so I do agree he's suspicious. Wish he'd pop in for more information.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Yes, those 4 always end up having votes on people being lynched. And while some of them being confirmed town maybe they were just tunneling. I do see a lot of people thinking wizard as scum...so I'm not alone there

since your scumlist contains players cleared by a claimed cop, what's your take on the claimed cop? is he legit, and he's hitting godfathers? or is he a big phony?

why do you think having votes on people who are lynched is relevant (considering that we lynch by plurality)?

Dr. Worm

Banned
The vote block is the crux of this.If Nomadic is scum, that's a very high chance that the vote block is scum and this was just a little gambit to take heat off from the slip yesterday. It is also possible the vote block is from a town or neutral, in which case, Nomadic could be any alignment and they just blocked him to stop his votes that are never well thought out but it seems to convenient to me.

if the voteblocker is town, how do you think NS's block fits in the context of the previous voteblocks?

Sorian

Banned
if the voteblocker is town, how do you think NS's block fits in the context of the previous voteblocks?

It doesn't which is why I'm voting Nomadic and thinking this was a target a partner to make him look better type situation. You are definitely the weakest of the rest of the lot and we now know Ouro and Splinters alignment for sure but everyone else hit made sense on trying to quiet a strong voice.

Sorian

Banned
We've played a few games together, that is just how I play. And that particular lynch should tell you something.

If you are sure me and Kawl aren't w/w then if I am scum then Zeusy is town because there is no way I was stepping off that vote and worked my ass off to try and get it but Kawl stepped in and went with Zee which flipped CCS.

Is it possible I am bussing Zeusy? Yes and I do have a weird relationship with him considering I hammered acohrs for his tunnelling and then went on to do the same.

Something in my favour I think should be on day 3 when I was quite aggressive against your read of the situation and I actually had a vote typed out on you but decided to re-read with the perspective that both you and fat were town and everything made a lot more sense.

This post was going to mention town reading you as well but I thought that was coming on a bit strong

But when it came to end of day list I specifically mentioned that you had gone up in my estimations.

So I read this much earlier right before I had to leave to work but couldn't formulate too well why it bothered me. There's some hand waving here. You quote me to a post and then tell me your internal logic at the time which is all well and good but the actual post doesn't say any of that info. And sure, I can see that you bumped me up your reads list there but I've known you've been pushing me up as a town read for days now, that doesn't color what I think of you at all. It's a mild point that you got out in front of my claim and evolved your read on me but I had the writing on the wall for awhile now, Ouro was pointing out my cop soft claim for at least 24 hours before I actually claimed and people were questioning the soft without saying the word cop for even longer than that.

Dr. Worm

Banned
not really liking the Nomadic vote, tbh. feels like an easy setup from scum. Faddy being on board with it raises my suspicions

VOTE: Faddy

Sorian

Banned
not really liking the Nomadic vote, tbh. feels like an easy setup from scum. Faddy being on board with it raises my suspicions

VOTE: Faddy

You know what an easy set up is? Not silencing anyone's vote and then pointing out that Nomadic "slipped" and claimed that the silence was 3-shot. The fact that Nomadic felt comfortable telling us right away that he was silenced tells me that he is either the silencer, is in contact with the silencer, or was actually silenced. The issue is that Nomadic's vote has been extremely useless the whole game with him throwing it around almost at random with no/little justification so why bother silencing him? He's the opposite of a threat and even if he nailed the whole scum team on the nose with a list, he'd never convince anyone to vote with him. Remove that possibility and what are you left with?

This action is the exact opposite of a set up and the only reason it smells so bad is because of how weak a player Nomadic is, if the same were done with anyone else, it probably would look perfectly fine.

Zeusy

You are so obsessed with me, I kind of like it ;)

Top Bottom