• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridiculous idle/portrait animations.

T.O.P

Banned
tumblr_ns3irkvceY1tlc1q4o1_250.gif

Cammy's idle animation in SF5 is just bizarre.

This looks amazing tbh, love the no clipping hair, counting the days for the PC Beta :|

You all know those games where you see a little portrait of you char. And you all know those animations that look like an earthquake is undergoing or the character has some kind of seizure.

Yes, I'm looking at you DOTA 2. It's horrible. I can not stand watching those intense movements while the char is doing nothing... >_>

npc_dota_hero_rubick.gif

Yo, Rubick idle is awesome and fits his character.
rubick-laugh.gif

UltraJay

Hey! I'm almost certain that monster sprites in Final Fantasy 4, 5, and 6 were static! That's how they got them to be so large and detailed - basically transcribing their art. It was impossible to animate them. The DS version in 3D is the only exception.

That gif is a dirty, dirty lie.
Still funny, tho.

danmaku

Rubik is supposed to be twitchy and bizarre. It's not like Valve wanted him to look and move like a standard fantasy wizard (you have Keeper Of The Light for that).

Nachos

You all know those games where you see a little portrait of you char. And you all know those animations that look like an earthquake is undergoing or the character has some kind of seizure.

Yes, I'm looking at you DOTA 2. It's horrible. I can not stand watching those intense movements while the char is doing nothing... >_>

portrait_luna.gif

npc_dota_hero_dark_seer.gif

npc_dota_hero_rubick.gif

7:45, we're drivin' on the highway
Cruisin' so fast, I want time to fly
Fun, fun, think about fun
You know what it is
I got this, you got this
My friend is by my right, ay
I got this, you got this
Now you know it

anigif_awkward-14486-1300112676-21.gif

Veal

This is incredible. I'm surprised no one has mentioned you can actually see her muscles flexing and moving as she moves it's not just static model. The detail in this crazy
I guess that's what makes it ridiculous to me. That's an amazing amount of detail.

Oppo

hah. I made a thread about this a while back.

people thought I was complaining about idle animations – not at all, just the hilariously hyperventilating ones. Blizzard does this all the time.

it's a holdover from when you perhaps needed to 'read' the character in a melee a little better as yours, but honestly at today's resolutions the argument doesn't hold up.

popyea

This is incredible. I'm surprised no one has mentioned you can actually see her muscles flexing and moving as she moves it's not just static model. The detail in this crazy

Are you quite sure it's not just the light interacting with parts of the model and normal mapping? Looks great but I don't see muscles actually moving.

HGH

Banned
Hey, Luna, the first gif, is totally excused. She's riding on a...lion thing, of course, she'd bobbing up and down all over the place.

Finaika

tumblr_ns3irkvceY1tlc1q4o1_250.gif

From my meagre martial arts experience, I think that's a pretty legit Wing Chun stance opener.

Just looks extra sexy when a woman's wearing practically nothing, obviously.

Edit: the two-hand crotch thrust is actually a sexual assault protection. Basically breaking someone's hands away from your hips or crotch. It's one of the first moves in Wing Chun's first set. Wing Chun was designed for women's self-defence originally, so all the moves are about keeping intimate attackers away

Cammy uses Wing Chun?

Are you quite sure it's not just the light interacting with parts of the model and normal mapping? Looks great but I don't see muscles actually moving.
I think the normal maps themselves are animated, or they blend between different maps depending on how the model moves and how tense they want the muscles to look. Games have been doing it for a while with folds and creases in cloths, Max Payne 3 is one which comes to mind. It's cool attention to detail.

npc_dota_hero_rubick.gif

Except that's how Rubick moves even when he's idle.

Scepter_of_the_Grand_Magus_Aghanims.gif

thomaser

I remember when Bubsy the Bobcat was previewed in mags. One of the biggest selling points was that he had lots of idle animations, one of them knocking on the screen. That was pretty cool back then.

Jintor

let me be the zth to echo: jesus christ that street fighter gif

tbh i really just love fighting game animation. it's so cool

OmegaDL50

Nothing comes close to a character named Scorpion SIK who i have no idea which game he comes from and i have only seen him in this mugen tournament.His walking animation is equally if not more ridiculous if you see him fight.

This is his actual idle stance.
Anybody got a clue where he's from?

That's Mantis from a game called Martial Masters...I think.

Top Bottom