• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridiculous idle/portrait animations.

deoee

You all know those games where you see a little portrait of you char. And you all know those animations that look like an earthquake is undergoing or the character has some kind of seizure.

Yes, I'm looking at you DOTA 2. It's horrible. I can not stand watching those intense movements while the char is doing nothing... >_>

portrait_luna.gif

npc_dota_hero_dark_seer.gif

npc_dota_hero_rubick.gif

Noaloha

Not really what you're getting at, but the topic reminded me of this McElroy Vine from Fantasy Grounds, an ePnPRPG client (let's you play DnD with friends online, basically). Very likely a you had to be there thing.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Yes, I'm looking at you DOTA 2. It's horrible. I can not stand watching those intense movements while the char is doing nothing... >_>

Well you kinda need to automatically blame Warcraft III for that given that's where it mainly started.

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga.

tumblr_mczc7qxvkn1r6o325.gif

I don't care what anyone says. They're glorious and fits perfectly well with the battle theme.

Go ahead. Play that song in the background and just stare at that gif.

EDIT: Bonus video!

EDIT 2: Mario and Luigi battle theme works with anything:

tumblr_inline_myu76focuL1qf07y3.gif

3a89832f3514de2b43305e71cbb7b9c6.gif

0015_67cf.gif

OfrkWRV.gif

You all know those games where you see a little portrait of you char. And you all know those animations that look like an earthquake is undergoing or the character has some kind of seizure.

portrait_luna.gif

npc_dota_hero_rubick.gif
You know there's an option to turn those off, right?

Idle animations are just a large part of why Deadly Premonition is interesting to look at. Characters are never sitting still in cutscenes. If they aren't making really awkward repetitive motions, they are rocking back and forth like a twig in the wind.

aWVkCpj.gif

I hate jrpgs where people walk even when they are not moving, it makes me crazy
http://25.media.tumblr.com/74b80c377f1b91342810b9cba73f6487/tumblr_n10myiM4Gn1rku2gvo1_400.gif
This type of stuff bugs me too, and I don't know why it's a thing. The screen looks more active, but also looks bad. Maybe they didn't know how to manage their animation cycles properly back in the day, and by the time they figured it out, people already grew fond of it?

jediyoshi

portrait_luna.gif

npc_dota_hero_rubick.gif

They're battle ready, it's not like they're waiting in line at the DMV.

I hate jrpgs where people walk even when they are not moving, it makes me crazy
tumblr_n10myiM4Gn1rku2gvo1_400.gif

That's actually really turned me off replaying FF Tactics a few times, even though I love the game. Never noticed it when I was young, but now? They need to chill.

That's actually really turned me off replaying FF Tactics a few times, even though I love the game. Never noticed it when I was young, but now? They need to chill.

I've never seen anyone bringing this up until now, glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like the animation loop.

I think the snes FFs are also guilty of this. Why.gif

Top Bottom