• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime Creative Director: "Reading Neogaf made me cry for two days"

DNAbro

That's the thing, NeoGAF absolutely believes it's above all of this. This is the place for rational, critical thoughts about games unlike those other vile internet forums when the truth is that it really is the same + entitlement because it's hard to register

That's the main problem. People are just better at hiding the shit on the surface. Well some are.

True Fire

NeoGAF to me seems a lot like Berkeley at times. Even very small things will get scrutinized more than they should be. Not that everyone should get a free pass, but some news topics do get very radical opinions here.

This x100. NeoGAF is fun to participate in, but I would never ever ever read a thread about myself as a game dev. Especially as an indie game dev, because you get way too attached to your projects

Um, which NeoGAF are you reading? Tongue-in-cheek? Not when it comes to the hype cycle. There are a lot of true believers here and they pull the collective IQ of the site way down.

This might be true. I stick to a personal filter bubble of threads and stay the fuck away from console wars. I'm definitely happier for it

This is definitely a huge eye opener. IMO NeoGAF is largely tongue-in-cheek and hyperbolized, and most users are well aware of the site's exaggerated tone. But I imagine a nervous creative director would take every shitpost personally, and that makes me sad.
I don't think people are as self aware as you think they are.

Well that's awful. I enjoy posting and reading here, but it does get overblown with how harsh criticism gets. I try to keep mine measured and constructive because I know developers do browse here and hopefully get useful feedback that they apply.

That said, I'm not really sure how this place is worse than any other form online.

I have my fair criticisms about neogaf, our community and how it's moderated but I think in general we are considered a kind of measured voice of reason in the gaming community. We're definitely a step above the game spot forums, r/gaming and gamefaqs for example. Lots of developers are members of this community so it makes sense that someone developing a game might take something they read here to heart

rhandino

Banned
This is a bunch of rumors not facts. And yeah a lot of people were saying Sony dropped them because the game must be bad or something to that effect.

Yeah but again, was this ever proven? People dogpiling a dev based on nothing more than rumours seem a bit cruel.
lherre seems to be a verified account and some people in there said that they were told the same thing some months earlier.

Izuna

Banned
Yes, Nier Automata was a result of Square not listening to any critiques about the first game.

How do you think Hillary got elected?

His point wasn't about criticism in general, but NeoGAF.

That being said, Sunset Overdrive is a great game that made changes based on GAF and other forums, and benefitted for it.

Timeaisis

Once Sony dropped Rime (because they're backing off of indie publishing efforts in general--see Edith Finch and other indies they dropped as well), a lot of Sony fans lost their shit and were like "hah, it's terrible, it has to be terrible, no way Sony would drop a good game."

At the same time, I mean... Tequila Works' last game was one of the worst games I've ever played?

Then again, I've played Rime now, and... Rime seems pretty darn great. If anything, it's the best turnaround I've ever seen for a studio.

I remember people being pissed after Sony dropoped them and it was revealed (or rumored) the first teaser was essentially a render target, and nothing was actually mechanically developed. Somewhat justified, but some reactions were too harsh, for certain. But again, this is an open forum. It happens.

I hope it turns out good as well. We shall see. I'm of the opinion that criticism pre-launch is mostly fair game, as we're shooting the shit with the quality of the game, anyway. "Looks pretty, but I dunno if it'll be fun." is fair, for example. Unless the stuff clearly toxic and ad hominen stuff, of course. "This developer is shit" is not good and shall never be acceptable.

Again, it's on Rime to prove it's a good game. If it is, NeoGAF will be nice. In the meantime, some people will be skeptical. That's just how it is.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If it wasn't true then he wouldn't have had a reason to be sad. That's what all the backlash was based on.
Hmm, I can't agree. If it weren't true, he'd have plenty of reasons to be sad. Imagine reading all fake rumours slandering you and your hard work when you know it's not true, or missing crucial information, etc. It would be extremely frustrating.

Again, ton of times they were asked to answer these rumors or at least explain why the game disappeared for two years, and they always dodged the question. It pretty much confirms these rumors.
Context added to the OP.
It was not, and as the game exists and plays and it's being previewed and it's releasing like next month, it was probably just conjecture.
Heh.

I'd say that's sketchy if they indeed dodged the questions, but I'm not sure it confirms anything, really.

Most other sites are filled with GG/MRA/transphobic/homophobic/racist/etc nonsense so I'd say Gaf has earned a little bit of "entitlement" to feel better about themselves than the other gaming communities out there. Yes, Gaf often gets a bit hyperbolic and has plenty of its own stupid shit, but most of the internet is a much worse, much more disgusting cesspool in ways that are more important and more damaging to the world than hurting some game developer's feelings because a game's future was shady.
Yeah, this is true. GAF is hyperbolic and silly and even vicious at times, but compared to less-moderated communities, it's not nearly as toxic. If a dev gets personally offended at GAF commentary, they really, really shouldn't check other communities, or they'll completely break down. xD

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You want to cite a game from 2017 that completely ignored criticism of the previous installment?
packArt.img.jpg

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I've stuck with this forum over the years because there's generally a core of earnest, well-intentioned discussion going on here. But when this place decides to go against someone or something, it can lose all sight of perspective and get pretty vile. I'm taken aback by it even when I've been standing on the side of being a detractor in the first place. I just can't summon up the degree of hate that others seem capable of, over games. And, yes, I say that as someone who has had games in their life as a central primary hobby going on almost forty years now.

Some people need to grow the fuck up. But that's not really Neogaf's specific problem moreso than anywhere else, I think.

Gator86

This is how I feel.

But also GAF might have its moments - but at least it's usually mature. Try reading gamefaqs etc

Enhhhh. Any thread on diversity or social issues turns wasteland nearly immediately and remains that way until the mods begin their gruesome work. Gaf's quality is almost entirely dependent on the mods. Without them, this place would be an absolute nightmare within minutes.

Most other sites are filled with GG/MRA/transphobic/homophobic/racist/etc nonsense so I'd say Gaf has earned a little bit of "entitlement" to feel better about themselves than the other gaming communities out there. Yes, Gaf often gets a bit hyperbolic and has plenty of its own stupid shit, but most of the internet is a much worse, much more disgusting cesspool in ways that are more important and more damaging to the world than hurting some game developer's feelings because a game's future was shady.

I mean, I used to participate on GameFAQs back in the day and reddit can give me ulcers sometimes so I agree. But the thing is, you're not a critic just because you're registered to NeoGAF and a lot of people think that they are

The one rumor of the reveal trailer as bullshit that could have been true. But it was also 4 years ago and years after the rumor popped up. Wouldn't be the first time that happened, especially with a game at a Sony show. I wouldn't hold that against Tequila Works if Sony wanted to announce yet another game years before it was really ready to show.

Ahasverus

I think it's OK to criticize actually released, tangible things while focusing no the product, not throwing personal accusations to developers of products in the making.
That's the very big difference between Rime and Andromeda.

mdubs

Banned
Correlation vs Causation yadda yadda yadda.

Take out your specific reference to Gaf and do you not think thay those pubs/devs don't have internal testing/criticisms? Hell there are books written about how tough Nintendo is internally. We even have stories on how the BOTW dev team play tested for a full week after making changes to make sure the game still fet good/played well with the changes.

Many studios do this. Not all of them have access to that kind of work flow, but I can tell you that many of the most successful creatives value good criticism and do not take it personally. They also have avenues and methods for valuable constructive criticism. The argument can be made that the majority of critical posts on gaf/the internet are shitposts and should be ignored. Thats hard to do when you're personally vested in a project, but it is possible to separate the wheat from the chafff even here and determine good well thought criticism from the worthless stuff.

This is obviously true. So to clarify, what I'm disputing is that all of us sitting here are somehow key to advancing the medium when we have example of games that turned out to be great without that back and forth. In the case of Breath of the Wild, the dev team clearly did a lot of internal back and forth, which is pretty different from them sitting down to read this or any other forum to make their game

rhandino

Banned
3 of the best games of the past number of years (Zelda, Nier, Persona 5) just came out from studios that had absolutely 0 interaction with this forum or the majority of the English language video game internet
I am pretty sure we know that Treehouse (Nintendo) used GAF during their E3 streams and some members at NoA have GAF accounts.

Crying over some forum posts you can't be serious lol i don't buy it

Well, if you made something you were passionate about and then the people you made it for tore it apart and said stuff like how you are everything wrong with (insert industry here), would you not feel a little sad?

GAF can be savage sometimes. GAF member's feelings even get hurt in this forum.

mazpratim

This is why I cringe when some people here think that NeoGAF is "above" other places such as Reddit/etc. when it's really not

Fisty

The one rumor of the reveal trailer as bullshit that could have been true. But it was also 4 years ago and years after the rumor popped up. Wouldn't be the first time that happened, especially with a game at a Sony show. I wouldn't hold that against Tequila Works if Sony wanted to announce yet another game years before it was really ready to show.

Or maybe the trailer was to secure funding and they gave Sony a good roadmap. Not exactly a stretch, given its probably very common. They blew it and couldn't meet their targets, so Sony pulled the plug. Even gave them the IP back, which they had no obligation to do

Seik

Banned
There's a middleground for everything, internet have everyone, the two love/hate extremes as well.

A developper should weight the constructive cristicism and not pay too much attention to people just looking to be hurtful, doing so is taking things too much at heart and can be extremely nocive to your mental health and motivations.

I can't feel much sympathy for him crying over internet comments. Everybody knows that people are assholes on the internet. If the comments are bothering you, don't look.

CHC

Criticism is vital to the continued success of this medium.

Well, to a point - the point at which someone decides to purchase a product or not. That's really the only thing you can do that matters.

I'm all for transparency and honesty from developers, but I do notice that things can easily get really carried away here, to a point that it seems more a case of people draining their own vitriol and latent frustration rather than it coming from any kind of "pro-consumer" stance.

Recently some stuff has been a bit much, like the thread that basically drove Shinobi from NeoGAF, wherein one of the oldest, most reliable and most active members of the forum was met with vague accusations of being an actual paid shill for Bioware, more or less heckled off stage because he liked a game that simply happens to not be very good.

It's just the culture of criticism that I kind of find gross - the popcorn and lawnchair gifs, the Jim Sterling threads, the outrage over unusually good or bad reviews, etc. I don't think any of that really comes from a place of "hey let's make people aware that X or Y game isn't a good value." In most cases it just seems like pure frustration or disdain that some people need an outlet for.

I should definitely say that I like GAF quite a bit, and as far as internet discussion forums go, it's as good as it can ever get. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a couple of grievances with the overall culture here.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Poor guy got ripped for loving Andromeda, from what I've seen.

Was a little more than that.

He played a preview build of Mass Effect and basically gushed about it. People said he was an admitant fanboy of Bioware but he denied it. One of the first lines of his preview was 'the performance is great' which as we all know about ME:A.... no. He rarely cited any bugs during his time with it and if this were any game other than ME:A I'd say 'well 3 hours isn't long enough to run into bugs' but since its ME:A yes it is. Bugs are EVERYWHERE in that game. So I imagine a lot of people knew him as a member of the community and would trust his post a lot more than an IGN preview so I imagine a lot of people preordered(which is dumb but it is what it is) off his good word. As a member of the community with some access to things.

Game comes out and is a complete mess. Its like your buddy told you this car is great, you bought the car and it exploded 1 day out. In retrospective, the post blurs the line between enthusiasm and viral marketing.

GAF is invaluable to me in many ways when it comes to the video games industry. We have members who contribute in many ways and we have many intelligent and very well educated folks on here from all walks of life. The OTs here are very informative, the scoops posted on here are second to almost no one except Press Sneak Fuck, and I always come here first before I go to IGN, GameSpot, Glixel etc.

Having said all that this forum leans left and dangerously so. If you're a conservative or even have conservative leaning views you might as well just not say a darn thing. Outrage culture and PC culture can be pretty rampant on here like in many places on the internets. Colin Moriarty's tweet comes to mind and just the hatefulness folks spewed towards him. Tbh even before that, the PS I Love You XoXo thread was toxic as shit.

Fanboys will be fanboys so I don't really mind when the Xbots and SDF go at each other. Annoying at times but meh. NMS debacle was just too much, again just hatefulness spewed towards Sean Murray over a game. You'd think he promised the coming of a new God. Some Gaffers are way way up their own asses and just wanna die on this self-righteous hill of everyone wins. No not everyone wins. In life you have winners and losers. It is what it is.

kamspy

Can't imagine crying for two days if the inspector or commissioning tech didn't like something I built. I can't understand this strong of a reaction to criticism, no matter how snarky. I haven't seen the moderation here ever let it get very far past snarky. If he were referencing reddit or /v/ I wouldn't be as surprised.

LordKasual

Banned
No, just no. NeoGAF can be totally hyperbolic and dumb about gaming related shit, but atleast people here respect woman or minorities, for putting an example. GameFAQs is just a cesspool that doesn't respect anything. It goes way beyond on having shit opinions on games.

A few situations aside, that doesn't have anything to do with game design.

And furthermore, just because you demand respect towards one thing doesn't give you a free pass to be completely disrespectful to something you don't personally deem worthy of earning mutual respect. It's that same silly self-righteousness that leads to NeoGAF having its reputation for hyperbolic threads. Some of you guys take your own beliefs and opinions way too seriously.

It's also the reason the term "Echo Chamber" pops up so often, to the point where some of you even preemptively dismiss it. I've seen "NeoGaf isn't an echo-chamber" posted in response probably more than i've actually seen people make the claim.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Seeing those rumors and then later learning that its publisher dropped it, you can't really not expect a mean reaction from the internet.

Aselith

In my humble opinion, Neogaf is better served being considered a positive, constructive source a criticism in the media, not some kind of bully hive.

Disagreed tbh. It's a place to get unfiltered comments about what you're doing. I wouldn't come into a thread about my game and especially go back months and months when it seemed like the game was doing poorly or not shaping up. Most people would be a lot kinder by keeping some of their opinion to themselves if they were talking to the dev directly but you would also lose a lot of the nuance to their opinion that they feel comfortable saying when they aren't talking to the dev.

I'd imagine Chris Roberts would go into some madman suicide spiral if he ever read a Neogaf thread on Star Citizen.

It's not really positive or negative, it's both and if your brain pulls out all the negative an tunes the positive out of course you're going to be depressed. Many devs have burned out spectacularly on threads about their games here. It's tough but don't read threads about your game if you can help it.

Top Bottom