• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP United Front Games

Pudge

What a bummer. I have to imagine some kind of investment fell through because they game was just put into EA a few days/weeks ago, right?

It was put up on September 27th, so not even three weeks ago.

It's a real shame, it seems like they needed that game to hit real big and it went nowhere.

I played Smash and Grab during the alphas and betas and you can tell the devs were passionate about the game and it was pretty polished for an early access game. Sucks they were hoping for a hail mary with this game and it didn't deliver I guess.

Triad Wars was the really weird one, I was in the alpha and beta for that too and everyone kept telling them its terrible and not fun and they just kept pushing on, like something magic would happen and suddenly lots of people would play. So weird.

RIP the studio though, hope everyone finds new jobs quickly. I believe the studio is located in Vancouver, BC and I think there are a lot of game studios there?

Sleeping Dogs was one of my favorite games last gen. A game you can tell they poured their hearts into. Hope everyone lands on their feet.

Ryuuga

Banned
WOW for real? I JUST got a chance to play Smash + Grab and a friend was going to play it but the download/purchase button was removed on steam. I CANNOT believe such a talented studio has been forced to close. Smash and grab was going to be a game I definitely wouldve put time into. I wonder what happens to the people that recently bought it. Refunds?

Amagon

I was a huge fan of their work, even pestered them asking for any info on when we'll see some news regarding Sleeping Dogs back in the day when it was in limbo.

Damn shame, this studio should of had the sequel of that game instead of the kerfuffle of Triad Wars and it's spiritual successor.

Zafir

I played Smash and Grab during the alphas and betas and you can tell the devs were passionate about the game and it was pretty polished for an early access game. Sucks they were hoping for a hail mary with this game and it didn't deliver I guess.

Triad Wars was the really weird one, I was in the alpha and beta for that too and everyone kept telling them its terrible and not fun and they just kept pushing on, like something magic would happen and suddenly lots of people would play. So weird.

RIP the studio though, hope everyone finds new jobs quickly. I believe the studio is located in Vancouver, BC and I think there are a lot of game studios there?

Yeah I was also in the alpha/beta of Triad Wars. I'm just not sure what they were thinking with that one. The idea in general just seemed really poor for a PC game. It felt more like a game style you'd find on mobile or facebook or something.

Cracklox

Well that's shit. I just posted in an LTTP thread for Sleeping Dogs yesterday, which reminded me how good that game was. I hope everything works out for everyone involved

They never had he opportunity to make Sleeping Dogs 2. Blame Square Enix for that.

No I blame us, I bought two copies of the game, met the devs at NYCC after the game released, opened a twitter account to get the word out, spent alot of time on the forums with a full I me job, family, etc, because I knew this was an amazing game and team... We as gamers who didnt support the brilliance of a game which was way better than GTA IV in my opinion and just about any modern open world game at the time..

So damn shocked that a game set in overseas like a lot have asked for, best hand to hand combat, can use trunks, doors, etc for combat and many other great mechanics didn't sell well..

A Fucking shame and Fuck me if you dint buy this great game and support some of the coolest Fucking devs ever... So damn pissed...

ar4757

Did Sleeping Dogs not "sell enough" for Square? Meanwhile at this point FFXV couldn't recoup costs no matter what, and they're gonna get a free pass presumably.

Yeah I was also in the alpha/beta of Triad Wars. I'm just not sure what they were thinking with that one. The idea in general just seemed really poor for a PC game. It felt more like a game style you'd find on mobile or facebook or something.

Seems like the only thing Square Enix would fund considering they were apparently not interested in making a full blown sequel

No I blame us, I bought two copies of the game, met the devs at NYCC after the game released, opened a twitter account to get the word out, spent alot of time on the forums with a full I me job, family, etc, because I knew this was an amazing game and team... We as gamers who didnt support the brilliance of a game which was way better than GTA IV in my opinion and just about any modern open world game at the time..

So damn shocked that a game set in overseas like a lot have asked for, best hand to hand combat, can use trunks, doors, etc for combat and many other great mechanics didn't sell well..

A Fucking shame and Fuck me if you dint buy this great game and support some of the coolest Fucking devs ever... So damn pissed...

I hope that's sarcasm. People bought the game (many, like you or me, bought two copies or more) It's the publisher's fault if they set unrealistic expectations.

BY2K

Membero Americo
UYU1LUo.gif

:(

Evilisk

What a shame

ModNation Racers was one of the few games I actually got at launch last gen

I hope they can all find work quickly

That really sucks. Loved what they did with Sleeping Dogs and was really hoping for a sequel. Best of luck to all of those who this hits.

Zafir

Seems like the only thing Square Enix would fund considering they were apparently not interested in making a full blown sequel

Sure, but as I said, it was just a poor fit on PC. I could have understood it if they had have been making it as a mobile game, and maybe they'd have found a market for that idea of building your gang and attacking other gang headquarters. More recent mobile games are popular with similar concepts.

On PC though? It's a rough sell when the game idea just doesn't have much depth.

Maxey

Sleeping Dogs was such a great game. A sequel with improved engine tech, less jank and more stuff to do in the city would be mint as fuck.

Fuck. Fuck you Squeenix.

Some Nobody

I mean, on top of that modern open world games don't really lend themselves to anything less than AAA in terms of production and budget. You can't create reallly create one on the cheap. Look at Mafia 3. A game that clearly had a ton of time and money go into it, and even still you have complaints that it feels rushed. I don't really blame publishers for staying away from those unless you are fairly certain you can turn it in to a huge franchise IP.

Judging by what I've seen in video reviews Mafia 3's budget clearly went into marketing. I saw an ad for that shit at my local Hardee's (Carl's Jr, whatever). If they were marketing to places THAT mainstream just imagine how much money they'd already spots in the typical spots before they got that far.

I'm usually the first one to blame fans because...honestly, fuck 'em. They ask for too much and they're usually ungrateful bastards. But not this time. Publishers need to learn to invest in their fucking games. A Sleeping Dogs 2 was almost guaranteed to do better than SD 1 with all the Steam sales and positive reception the game got. An untested IP that got good reviews and nearly everyone who played it enjoyed it or loved it.

I did my part. Bought the fucking game on PS3 AND the Definitive Edition on PS4 because I wanted to show my support and loved the game THAT much. Square was too busy trying to introduce multiplayer elements to an audience that didn't want them, and this is the result.

diamount

Banned
Sleeping Dogs was such a great game. A sequel with improved engine tech, less jank and more stuff to do in the city would be mint as fuck.

Fuck. Fuck you Squeenix.

United Front was an indie studio, they were not owned by Square Enix. Their setbacks are simply due to their latest projects not catching on unfortunately.

Sabas

Banned
Sad news. Loved Sleeping Dogs and only heard about Smash and Grab when Giant Bomb played some. Seemed neat, but now I'll never get a chance to play it. :(

Gang, don't forget Disney's hand in this. United Front Games was also responsible for Disney's Marvel Battleground Playset and we all know what happened to Disney Infinity. Willing to bet this was what did the company in.

Zafir

Sad news. Loved Sleeping Dogs and only heard about Smash and Grab when Giant Bomb played some. Seemed neat, but now I'll never get a chance to play it. :(

if you downloaded it for the free weekend(or bought it) already you can still play it... for now.

Top Bottom