• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of The Ronin | Final Previews Released

bender

What time is it?
interesting take, elden ring does look like a shit unless u play on PC and it still does :p

G60.gif

Topher

Gold Member
So basically Ghost Tsushima but with Nioh graphics (maybe worse). Eh.....I'll give it a shot with Gamefly. The rope and gliding look pretty cool.

The horse animations.....wtf. The way the rear of the horse moves looks so cardboardy. That looks like the most dated thing I've seen but the whole game looks dated.

Yeah....no shit. You ever see a kid playing with a toy horse? That's what that horse animation reminded me of.

Last edited:

GHG

Not really. You can't pass judgement on total depth based on a couple of hours of playtime - especially in a game with this sort of open-world format.

The whole point of having open environments is that the player has plenty of alternatives to, and distractions from, the "golden path". A game like Nioh is the exact opposite of this; the level-based progression is all "golden path" and every side-mission is segregated from it, and clearly marked as being separate.

If you want an obvious point of comparison, think about what most people get done in the first couple of hours of Elden Ring the first time they play it, versus what can be done by an experienced player who knows exactly where to go and when in order to maximize their character development.

What I said has nothing to do with the environments or pathways based on the opinion/video I was referencing.

Topher

Gold Member
Some of the comments here just shows exactly why dev cost is ballooning like crazy .

You guys are way too fixated on visuals and graphics

The visuals are subpar. Nothing wrong with pointing that out. I'm actually more intrigued by the game itself now after watching a couple of previews. I'm much more of an Ghost of Tsushima fan and not so much Soulslike. I can certainly understand why this taking a step back from Nioh and being more "accessible" would not be to the liking of those who like those games. This is atypical for Team Ninja.

and this is why AAA aint going anywhere. At the same time i dont think Team Ninja expects to sell 10M+ for this game.
users on Youtube, FB, Twitter and other sites comments suggest that the game might do some decent numbers.

Team Ninja is expecting/wants the game to do 5m.+ copies sold WW.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Some of the comments here just shows exactly why dev cost is ballooning like crazy .

I’ve always been about the graphics, unless there’s a great art direction. It’s games like this that try to mix the realistic graphics with subtle art that usually end up looking kind of bad.

This game is still in my GameFly game queue. No way does this look like a game worth owning.

Nydius

You’re right but the gameplay here also looks kinda… meh. Subpar visuals but amazing gameplay would be fine, but for me they both look rather mediocre.

I’m still interested in it but it’s turned into a wait-for-sale kind of game.

DavidGzz

It's a pretty big developer and it's a PS5 exclusive. We aren't supposed to judge it on how it looks? StarField would be torn apart of it looked anything like this. Gameplay is greater than graphics, but there is a certain standard that should be met. It can still be great but we can't really judge the gameplay until we play it. It looks smooth, for sure. Well besides the horse lol

bender

What time is it?
As much as I love Nioh, the spin-offs just feel off, almost like a b-tier team is working on them. I was always a little skeptical when this was announced as an open world title. And for as neat as I thought the Diablo style loot in Nioh was, I'm growing a little fatigued of it in Team Ninja's games.

StereoVsn

So no PC version looks to be forthcoming any time soon then?

I guess I will grab this for $30 or so during BF sales.

Are the visuals a bit rough? Yes. Do I give a fuck? Absolutely not. Looking real good, combat is going to be god-tier and I'm happy to hear the narrative is worth a damn, open-world traversal looks like it will be a joy. Only issue for me is timing, I'm knee deep in FFVIIR Rebirth, just picked up Unicorn Overlord and I need to get back to Yakuza 8, these are three, massive RPG time-sinks, there simply isn't any more room on my plate.

Last edited:

bbeach123

I dont mind dated graphics but the lighting system look really boring . Its make everything else look bland af .

But the cutscene lighting look nice though , I wish they keep that lighting in normal gameplay .

Was looking forward to this and probably getting this day 1 still but seems like something is off...

completely see & agree with where cowboy's coming from. there's just something completely characterless about this game. it's like the opposite of 'distinctive'. I've had zero enthusiasm since it was announced, which genuinely surprises me, but there you go...

I've wanted to like Team Ninja's output since the first Nioh, but I haven't been able to get into any of the games and this is definitely not going to be the one to win me over. It honestly seems like their games have been getting progressively worse since Nioh 2.

Senua

Are the visuals a bit rough? Yes. Do I give a fuck? Absolutely not. Looking real good, combat is going to be god-tier and I'm happy to hear the narrative is worth a damn, open-world traversal looks like it will be a joy. Only issue for me is timing, I'm knee deep in FFVIIR Rebirth, just picked up Unicorn Overlord and I need to get back to Yakuza 8, these are three, massive RPG time-sinks, there simply isn't any more room on my plate.
Impressions haven't exactly shown god tier gameplay

Also just watched nxgamers video. He's positive about the visuals despite the footage he's showing looking absolutely shite. Guy will just cum on anything PS related

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

They forgot to mention theres alot more interactions with NPS than Asassins Creed, Nioh or Sekiro.
You can buy gifts and do missions with them to build relationships with certain NPC/s to gain more items, move sets etc

Kokoloko85

Where are the gameplay first people. Where are the I dont care for graphics people. This is the reason companys push for graphics first and foremost and its the reason budgets are the way they are.

Game looks fine as it is. Hyped.
Yeah people complain there is too much AAA games out there, they are sustainable and too much efforts on graphics. Then comain about this… retards

The combat and gameplay looks great. Graphics are good enough

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Where are the gameplay first people. Where are the I dont care for graphics people. This is the reason companys push for graphics first and foremost and its the reason budgets are the way they are.

“gameplay first” in reality means “gameplay only”.

The combat is the only thing that looks decent here. Everything else looks straight garbage.

So basically, when you’re not hacking and slashing, the game sucks.

It’s an open world, the game needs to be enticing to explore and easy to be immersed in

tusharngf

its team ninja game which means i am gonna play it no matter what the reviews are. I even played wo long for 80 odd hours on Game Pass and that is the weakest game they ever made.

Love Team Ninja games. This looks better than anything they have made before graphically.

I think their stories/writing tend to be weak, thats a bigger concern cause its a quest based game. Just keep it minimal and it will be great.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Tell me one thing that looks good in this game aside from the hacking and slashing

Everything looks dated, not just the visuals

I dont see what the praise is about, its your standard hack and slash with outdated elements.

He says the gameplay is kind of shit and Press A to Awesome sort of combat.

Kurotri

Well, what do you know. After reading and watching some impressions I'm impressed, especially since the story seems to be intriguing enough as well as choices actually mattering. I can excuse the outdated visuals.

Last edited:

I'm with you there. Gameplay looked pretty decent from what I saw in a few of those videos. Not a day one game for me since Dragons Dogma 2 will take up my time, but I'll look at getting this in a sale later down the line.

Top Bottom