• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of The Ronin | Final Previews Released

SJRB

Gold Member
I just can't get over how bad this looks.

In that first video, when the cutscene of the boss fight jumps to gameplay it's like it's warping back an entire generation. Obscenely flat lighting, texturework, geometry.
And that horse riding bit, oof. That city looks straight up terrible. Blurry distances with flat textures, pretty aggressive pop-in, super low geometry. Everything has a very grainy element to it, as if it's running on 480p or something. It just looks very jarring.

And before you go "what does that matter" and "not every game has to look like a big budget title", I will remind you that this game sells for the exact same price as a "big budget" title. It's 80 euros in the PSN store, 75 euros boxed. At that price point, and its PS5 exclusivity, that comes with expectations.

Last edited:

Fabieter

In that first video, when the cutscene of the boss fight jumps to gameplay it's like it's warping back an entire generation. Obscenely flat lighting, texturework, geometry.
And that horse riding bit, oof. Blurry distances with flat textures, pretty agressive pop-in. Everything has a very grainy element to it, as if it's running on 480p or something. It just looks very jarring.

And before you go "what does that matter" and "not every game has to look like a big budget title", I will remind you that this game sells for the exact same price as a "big budget" title. It's 80 euros in the PSN store, 75 euros boxed. At that price point, and its PS5 exclusivity, that comes with expectations.

Botw had a bigger budget than horizon zero down. Does it look like that? No not at all.

StueyDuck

This, like helldivers 2 before it released, is just getting weird and significant gaf hate and I just scratch my head and don't understand why.

It looks like ass creed but actually fun. Isn't that what we want in games? Fun?

Why we going on about graphics and for some reason dark souls when this game has fuck all to do with dark souls🤣.

I just remember similarly confusing nonsense about helldivers2 when it was clear that was gonna be a fun game too before release.

Also I'll never care what a game journo or influencer thinks, they are all brainless. You can usually tell what a game is like from gameplay clips these days. Just cut out the simple jack middleman already

Last edited:

Schmendrick

so early PS4 era visuals paired with combat that`s a big downgrade from Wo-Long and Ni'Oh set in a last gen Ubisoft open world.
It always looked very mediocre, but I´d hoped at least the combat would shine once again since it`s made by Team Ninja.......

Hard pass.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What I said has nothing to do with the environments or pathways based on the opinion/video I was referencing.

Its got everything to do with it when the criticism in Cowboy's video is about comparative depth/complexity in the fighting system versus Nioh/Wo Long.
A video/opinion I have to say struck me more with what it didn't cover than what it actually did.

No mention of character swapping when partnered up? Nothing about story/dialogue branching or how gear/skill progression works... It just felt like he was disappointed it wasn't Nioh 3 and couldn't really engage past that.

samoilaaa

Where are the gameplay first people. Where are the I dont care for graphics people. This is the reason companys push for graphics first and foremost and its the reason budgets are the way they are.

Game looks fine as it is. Hyped.
these are the same people that complain about linear level design , lack of combat depth , too many cutscenes , and when a game with engaging combat releases "wtf is this ? i better get my PS3 out to play this game "

and we wonder why games havnt progressed at all

Zathalus

"Stop spending 200 millions on game budgets. Problem solved."

"Why is this open world game looking so bad? Jesus."

There is no way we can go back to smaller budgets because people will bury everything not only on looks but on length too. "You want 80 euros for 15 hours?" etc.
False equivalency though, having a good-looking game does not require having a huge budget. Plenty of games out there that have amazing looking graphics and made on budgets well under 100 million.

Kikorin

Damn, when the broll of the open world was running and especially when it flyes high in sky the graphics give vibes of Pokémon Legends/Pokémon: S/V. It looks atrocious, I really never care about graphics but since this is a PS5 exclusives I can't understand how it can looks that bad. Animations during combat are also terrible, all feels light and give zero feedback. Seems a huge step back even compared to Ninja Gaiden on original Xbox.

Last edited:

Vlodril

False equivalency though, having a good-looking game does not require having a huge budget. Plenty of games out there that have amazing looking graphics and made on budgets well under 100 million.

People are just scrutinize everything. Let me zoom 10x see this isn't as good as it should be etc. Depends where you want people to spend their budget at. What is the priority? Graphics? FPS? Gameplay? A lot here seem to espouse the have 60 fps and good gameplay but will complain when the graphics aren't as good as they could be.

We are just too used to these production values that instantly we can't help but except them on "big" games (don't think any of the games the studio made would be considered AAA. More AA budget wise at least).

Honestly the best feature the game has is a character creator. An open world ass creed style story driven game where you can create the perfect waifu while Ronin your way down the countryside.

GHG

You must really be running out of positive things to say if you have to call out "+difficulty options".

That's not a positive.

We live in a post Elden Ring world where it's been proven you can do this type of open world without the need to dumb it down and provide difficulty options (no doubt many of which will not be balanced).

Its got everything to do with it when the criticism in Cowboy's video is about comparative depth/complexity in the fighting system versus Nioh/Wo Long.
A video/opinion I have to say struck me more with what it didn't cover than what it actually did.

No mention of character swapping when partnered up? Nothing about story/dialogue branching or how gear/skill progression works... It just felt like he was disappointed it wasn't Nioh 3 and couldn't really engage past that.

Well he specifically called out the combat and it's lack of depth/difficulty compared to their previous titles.

It seems like they are shooting for mass appeal with this title, but I highly doubt they will achieve it.

Blood Borne

And that horse riding bit, oof. That city looks straight up terrible. Blurry distances with flat textures, pretty aggressive pop-in, super low geometry. Everything has a very grainy element to it, as if it's running on 480p or something. It just looks very jarring.

Gamers are their own worst enemies.
They complain about budgets skyrocketing, games taking too long to make, etc
And at the same time they want state of the art graphics, 50 hour long games, super massive open world, etc

Seriously pick a struggle. You can’t have both.

Rise of Ronin looks good enough, and if the gameplay is good and if it has a decent amount of content, then we should be celebrating instead of complaining about trivial stuff.

Last edited:

Slimboy Fat

I think it looks fun not every game has to set a new AAAA standard. Even if the combat is a decline form Nioh it will most likely be miles ahead of most other open-world games such as Assassins Creed. Meanwhile the open design will be a huge improvement over previous team Ninja level design which is forgettable at best. Souls+open-world is a very good combination, assuming at least decent executation it still makes for better games than most

Last edited:

Fabieter

What games are you talking about. Just to get a feeling.

Aion002

Lots of people complaining about the graphics, but I am more worried about the perfomance.

Both quality and perfomance mode seems to suffer from frame drops.

Ninja Gaiden 2 flashbacks...

Frustrated Jason Segel GIF by NETFLIX

Last edited:

Fabieter

Robocop
Alan Wake 2
Horizon Zero Dawn
Dying Light 2
Hitman 3
Witcher 3

More then possible to offer a good looking AAA for well under $100 million.

By 🇪🇺 standards all of those games were super expensive. There would have been like 200m if they were made in the us.

Zathalus

By 🇪🇺 standards all of those games were super expensive. There would have been like 200m if they were made in the us.
Which means the problem is the insane cost of development in the USA, not AAA graphics. It's also irrelevant to this Japanese made games where costs are inline with the EU.

Fabieter

Which means the problem is the insane cost of development in the USA, not AAA graphics. It's also irrelevant to this Japanese made games where costs are inline with the EU.

Ism not sure you could do w3 in japan with around 80m$. But if you think so.

Apparently mgs v had a similar budget to w3 which was arguable not as ambitious as w3.

Last edited:

FrankWza

You must really be running out of positive things to say if you have to call out "+difficulty options".
Every time a game is released that has a rep of being too hard there's a million complaints about it. They said during development that they wanted to make this their most accessible game.

Ninja Gaiden/Black/Sigma has difficulty options but everyone beat that on the hardest level, blindfolded and with one hand tied behind their back. Now we've come full circle

blue velvet

Looks fun but what's up with the mobile game physics? Saw some clips on twitter where the character is swinging around a tower and it looks so bad. Don't care much about graphics but I wish the animation and physics were better.

Last edited:
I don't get why anyone would want this team to do open world. Both Niohs are Recycle Central to the point of absurdity and favor quantity over quality in anything but the very fun combat system by a mile. The only thing I wanted to see from them is to make a smaller, tighter game.

Wo Long's demo already bored me but this looks so lame, I have yet to make it through an entire video.

Variahunter

Where are the gameplay first people. Where are the I dont care for graphics people. This is the reason companys push for graphics first and foremost and its the reason budgets are the way they are.

Game looks fine as it is. Hyped.
No. Just no. Graphics are meh, but they also botched the gameplay.

It was my most hyped game of the year because it was made by TN, gameplay first.

But they completely casualized the gameplay here.

- Only one attack button compared to NioH that had normal attacks and strong attack buttons.

- They implemented the shitty rock/paper/scissor system from GoT… ffs
Meaning that if you don’t have the correct stance facing your enemy, your parries will do shit posture damage to him. Yay.

The game has been casualized but casuls won’t buy a game with dates graphics so we’re left with a hybrid game that possibly won’t appeal to a lot of people. At least they could have satisfied the die hard fans if they didn’t botched the gameplay, but here nobody is satisfied…

fart town usa

Gold Member
Remember when the legacy media came out and supported SBI and labeled us all conspiracy theorists...?

Yea, they can take their previews and shove them up their ass.

Variahunter

so early PS4 era visuals paired with combat that`s a big downgrade from Wo-Long and Ni'Oh set in a last gen Ubisoft open world.
It always looked very mediocre, but I´d hoped at least the combat would shine once again since it`s made by Team Ninja.......

Hard pass.
It’s still better than Wo Long from a gameplay perspective. But let’s admit it, you’ve only played Wo Long because you’re an Xbox Gamepass shill.

You’re just happy to see the demise of this game because it’s not on your box.

Saber

Gold Member
I feel like this one gonna be like Elden Ring. Bashed because of "outdated visuals", but its probably gonna deliver in every aspect, including visuals. Because artistic direction is miles better than realistic visuals.

willothedog

Horizon Zero Dawn was $50 million and developer salaries in the Netherlands are higher then Japan.

It is not just salaries that have to be considered. Countries might offset that with incentive schemes to bring in business, preferable tax/business rates, grants etc.

Quezacolt

Watched some previews, and it sadly doesn't convince me, doesn't help the fact that i did not enjoy Nioh or Wu Long.
Idk, i love Souls games, mostly the ones made by From Soft, but i think i'd rather have Team ninja make a new ninja gaiden, with the combat system that series had,and not try to make it a souls game

Top Bottom