• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider: Preview and Technical Analysis (NX Gamer)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Looks like something from Assassin's Creed 3 tbh. That is not a compliment.

This game looks pretty much identical to the last one to me. Also not a compliment.
The last Tomb Raider, especially the facial animation, didn't look anywhere near as natural. I mean look at this character model. The eyes especially look way more convincing.
aDI6SA.gif

kOk47d.gif

look at these environments
DefiniteOrderlyAkitainu.gif

BothAgileFish.gif

It's so incredibly disingenuous to say that it looks identical.
Also this is what AC3 snow looked like.

Percy

Banned
Not being impressed by leap from last TR to this one = console wars? It really does not take much, does it?

lol...thought I was the only one, every thread my man is on Xbox defense to the max! we get it, Xbox is a great piece of hardware, and has some great games, no need for the shield and armor.

You are not the only one, believe me.

Chobel

It may not be obvious, but I'm sure Bgamer90 is mostly talking about Percy and not generalizing everybody in this thread.

Crossing Eden

Not being impressed by leap from last TR to this one = console wars? It really does not take much, does it?

You are not the only one, believe me.
I sincerely want an explanation on how you think the game looks identical, despite all of the new tech that objectively makes this game look better. I mean just for comparison's sake of the last gen and definitive version.
TombRaiderConsoleCompareThumb.jpg

Bgamer90

Banned
Right on cue.

Since apparently it's the only thing I say right (isn't that what you said in a previous thread)? You seem to only pop up during the rare times in I say something similar to what you've quoted which I find a bit strange. Trying really hard to make a (silly) perception look true.

I see you bring up console war stuff a lot.

How much is "a lot"?

lol...thought I was the only one, every thread my man is on Xbox defense to the max! we get it, Xbox is a great piece of hardware, and has some great games, no need for the shield and armor.

I thought the same. Most of that guys posts are painful to read.

I've made similar posts in threads involving games for other consoles so I'm not sure how it's "Xbox defense".

Really not sure what I did to some of you guys but I find it funny how my pretty simple/basic posts gets such a "team-up" reaction in certain threads as if I stated something that just's so insane or unbelievable. Very strange to me! :)

Wow, someone actually mentioned ps2 era games being comparable in terms of the snow deformation in this game. Now I've seen it all.

RoKKeR

Facial animation stuff is pretty cool, the little we've seen is very impressive.

Might grab this game and run through it before I jump into Fallout 4.

Synth

Wow, someone actually mentioned ps2 era games being comparable in terms of the snow deformation in this game. Now I've seen it all.

Not entirely accurate, they never actually said the PS2 games were comparable.

Of course if that's not what they were implying with their comment, then I'm really not sure why the comment was made.

Jesus christ the game director himself confirms it's 1080p and gaf's response is "hmmm, maybe?"

Thread A: It's a huge difference, super noticeable, you'd have to be blind to not see it. 16 bajillion pixels difference. Facts.
Thread B: Really, the dev said that? Are we sure though? Can someone double check this for us? You sure he's not Greenberg?

:p

etta

my hard graphic balls
Jesus christ the game director himself confirms it's 1080p and gaf's response is "hmmm, maybe?"
I'll be glad to change the OP to say that, many of us here would be, but how do you know that he means rendering at 1080p and not just outputting at 1080p? If you can confirm that, I'll change it in a heartbeat and go to bed a happier person than I was before, knowing that the game is native resolution.

Crossing Eden

Not to mention "the game looks identical and the snow deformation looks like this last gen game." I'm never gonna get that explanation on how Percy feels that way because it was complete nonsense. It's just so utterly disrespectful because the devs put in a ton of work to make Lara look much better, which you could see the moment she pulled her hood down. Meanwhile, here's some facts about the advancements and challenges that wenty into Lara's character model.

As well as a picture.
1.0.jpg

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i'm pretty sure that running and jumping has been in videogames since the atari 2600, am i supposed to be impressed?

shinnn

I think the game is missing AO. The bottoms of the tree trunks also have no ambient occlusion, so maybe they haven't implemented it yet.

Also Its looks strange because the bear fell inside the puddle, plus there's already a tree shadow there. Shadow over shadow is always a problem.

On a side note, the bear blood being diluted in the water is a nice touch.

Arklite

Yeah those youtube guys definitely know something the director of the game doesn't.

"Opinions" lol

You claimed comments on gaf are the source of doubts with "hmm maybe." We're only discussing the content given by the video provided, not bringing out doubt for the sake of it.

Did they add crafting or was it in the first one (I cannot remember)?

Was in the first, but it felt more like an upgrade system really. With the addition of rare materials there could be some more tangible crafting options.

THRILLH0

Banned
You claimed comments on gaf are the source of doubts with "hmm maybe." We're only discussing the content given by the video provided, not bringing out doubt for the sake of it.

What are you even talking about? The director of the game himself has confirmed the demo was 1080p. Despite that, plenty of posters are doubting it including the OP who linked the tweet and said it "might" be 1080p after all.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'll take occam's razor for 200. Same reason I won't ask you to prove NX weren't playing on a 900p television.
Err, pixel counting so done using a capture, not while the game is running. Also, it doesn't matter what display you use, you zoom on the capture until you start seeing pixels. But I will update the OP.

Arklite

What are you even talking about? The director of the game himself has confirmed the demo was 1080p. Despite that, plenty of posters are doubting it including the OP who linked the tweet and said it "might" be 1080p after all.

The video, the topic of the thread.

Veelk

Banned
Not to mention "the game looks identical and the snow deformation looks like this last gen game." I'm never gonna get that explanation on how Percy feels that way because it was complete nonsense. It's just so utterly disrespectful because the devs put in a ton of work to make Lara look much better, which you could see the moment she pulled her hood down. Meanwhile, here's some facts about the advancements and challenges that wenty into Lara's character model.

Honestly, at a glance, it they do look pretty similar, but I would argue it's more of a compliment on how damn good the first TR looked. It lacked in other areas, I felt, but graphics were pretty phenomenal. Placed side by side, yeah, I can see the improvements, but just from memory, they're close.

However, the improvements of the environments are pretty obvious. I really hope RotTR blows us out of the water, since I really liked a lot of what they did with the TR reboot.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Was in the first, but it felt more like an upgrade system really. With the addition of rare materials there could be some more tangible crafting options.

Crafting was available in TR2013, crafting is now "deeper", however.

But, there wasn't crafting during gameplay correct, ala TLoU? I remember the upgrades for the bow, but those were done in the menu?

THRILLH0

Banned
Err, pixel counting so done using a capture, not while the game is running. Also, it doesn't matter what display you use, you zoom on the capture until you start seeing pixels. But I will update the OP.

To be honest, I get why you worded it that way and that's not really a problem. I'm more responding to the posters who are simply ignoring our outright disputing what he said.

No biggie.

Arklite

That's cool. But since the video was posted, the director of the game has responded saying that the demo is 1080p.

Are you pretending his tweet doesn't exist?

Of course not, that tweet wasn't around when the discussion started, so speculation before then isn't about us being doubtful. I didn't see people talking of 900p after the tweet, but if they were then obviously we were wrong.

etta

my hard graphic balls
To be honest, I get why you worded it that way and that's not really a problem. I'm more responding to the posters who are simply ignoring our outright disputing what he said.

No biggie.

OP has been updated.
Update:
There are conflicting reports on the matter of the game's resolution. NX Gamer says the version he was given is 900p; however, the game director, Brian Horton, says the game code given to NX Gamer was 1080p.
Until further clarification, it is to be assumed the game is running at 1080p.

3o85xKtIGimAbftLzy.gif

^
Please point me to the ps2 game that was doing anything even remotely close to the above. And presumably that's not even how good it will look in the final game when they polish it up.

The trail looks absolutely horrendous, thankfully the actual gameplay segment after that was good but this is a tech thread and damn, the cross gen base of this game shows. It's not a very impressive game at all on a tech front, there was no need for them to go cross generation for this, rather just worry about the XB1 and nothing else. Can only assume that the studio thought last generation sales would not fall off a cliff like they did.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm not getting the love for this NX Gamer dude. Doesn't he just do everything by eye off videos? How do you take that seriously?

Don't Digital Foundary have actual equipment/software they use to measure framerates, resolution etc?

FrankT

Wait, did that tweet come out right after I updated the OP? Does it have to do with my wording?

@fcruzsierra: @BrianHortonArt but demo was 900p, could you explain? Maybe preview footage is from a new build or the demo was very old? Retail is 1080p?

@BrianHortonArt: @fcruzsierra The demo is 1080p

He posted that 12 hours ago. Can't really mince messages with that and yea that last response was minutes ago.

Crossing Eden

Honestly, at a glance, it they do look pretty similar, but I would argue it's more of a compliment on how damn good the first TR looked. It lacked in other areas, I felt, but graphics were pretty phenomenal. Placed side by side, yeah, I can see the improvements, but just from memory, they're close.

However, the improvements of the environments are pretty obvious. I really hope RotTR blows us out of the water, since I really liked a lot of what they did with the TR reboot.
From memory so many last gen game look a lot better than they actually did. Yes the original did look really good. But the difference was immediately apparent to me, I said "wow" when she turned and started talking. Truth be told keyframed facial animation on these super realistic characters really don't cut it anymore so it's good to see them using facial capture for their characters.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Pretty sure NXGamer only downloaded the video from CD website, like everyone else. There's no "code given".

Update:
There are conflicting reports on the matter of the game's resolution. NX Gamer says the direct capture video he was given showed that the game was running at 900p; however, the game director, Brian Horton, says the game was running at 1080p.
Until further clarification, it is to be assumed the game is running at 1080p, as per what the game director is saying.

This good?

Arklite

But, there wasn't crafting during gameplay correct, ala TLoU? I remember the upgrades for the bow, but those were done in the menu?

Yeah, menu based at camp for TR '13. Rise gameplay vids show the same crafting menu at camps, but I can't remember if there was any on-the-fly crafting.

Top Bottom