• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

Jarmel

Banned
EA bought Bioware (who were independent at the time and owned all their IP's) after ME released, hence why ME was initially exclusive. EA got control as soon as Bioware signed up.

When you buy an entity, it doesn't make previous contracts void. EA would have still been bound by Bioware's contract.

If its a timed exclusive, the real problem is on the wording MS chose. Timed exclusivity deals should be referred as 'first on'. Otherwise is deceiving the consumer.

13 months exclusivity on Titanfall was long enough for EA/Respawn/Xbox to use the word 'first on.'

Granted, it was obvious back then that it was timed, since Respawn was skirting around the question by saying they do want to reach out to the broadest audience possible.

Megatron

Can someone explain the term money hat?

It's from this Penny Arcade Comic.

Money-Hat.jpg

It basically just means a publisher decided to do something for one specific platform because said platform gave them a ton of money.

Some Nobody

lol. All you guys talking about "it's totally timed" are PC fans, right? Because if you're PS4 and arguing for that...

XLxzUhQ.jpg

Even if so, I'd be surprised if we saw the game on PS4 before 2017. Which is sad because I was definitely looking forward to it.

Denton

IIRC that's because the PC version was going to wind up not making it financially.

Yup wikipedia (at least assuming this is correct):

Sounds like excuses...Dear Esther and Amnesia sold plenty, and even if they did need more money, they could have at least attempted to get it in a way that does not say "fuck off" to their existing fanbase. It was very similar case to what is happening with TR.

However with TR I am fairly certain the game will wind up on other platforms 6 months to a year after Xbone, but with Rapture I doubt it.

SentryDown

Either it's timed or definitive, it's a pretty bad move from Square. Ok, they have a ton of cash to make this episode but nobody is going to play it (even if ports comes later) and then the next episode is going to sell poorly, etc, etc.

Console wars is not the problem, people who desperately want the new TR will buy it on Xbox One (look at GTA PC players prior to announcements), the problem is that Square Enix was trying to bring back an old franchise and convince new players that it is actually cool but most of them aren't ready to buy a new system just to discover TR 2013 sequel.

KoopaTheCasual

Is Greenberg deliberately trying to be obtuse on Twitter so that some people may think this is a full-on exclusive when it's actually just timed? Really?

Pretty low, why don't he just clarify it in one tweet, we'll find out soon anyway.
This is the guy, who was tweeting "Don't believe every rumor you hear on the internet" hours before MS's DRM 180. Can't take anything he says seriously.

daveo42

Banned
Assuming the game is well into development, wouldn't they had to have known that this is only on Xbox right from the start?

Depends. Definitive edition was wrapped up at the end of 2013 and if the same team at CD was making the new game, then they might have just entered full production. Already having a handle on the platform by working on the Definitive edition means it would be easier to get the game up and running on a particular console.

My guess is there were talks in the works for a few months and CD started with the X1 first, but news was held till all of the details were hammered out before going ahead with the announcement.

This always happens when they use the adverb "exclusively".

"This game is exclusive to Xbox" vs. "This game is exclusively available 2015 on Xbox" which I'm pretty sure is how Phil framed it.

Bollocks

By now it should be clear that this is a timed exclusive.
No way you tip toe around full exclusivity like that.
They just do it to generate extra buzz.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If it wasn't a timed exclusive they wouldn't be so careful on their wording.

All of this dancing around just screams timed exclusive to me.

Maybe I am wrong *shrugs* but just telling it like I see it.

spookyfish

It was actually announced/initially developed as a Saturn game. But I believe the PS version ended up being released first, still.

Yep. People don't remember that.

She also was initially named Lara Cruz.

(At least early promo shots showed her as Cruz. I made the leap to "Hispanic.")

Geoff Keighley ‏@geoffkeighley 2m
Spoke to many people here at Xbox press conference on Tomb Raider. Official line is that the game is "exclusive on Xbox for holiday 2015."

If it takes a year or more for other platforms, screw this. Dumb greedy SE; if you were gonna do this, just announce it the first time as an exclusive.

kamo

Just stop. No one needs that drivel. There's no salt; its a discussion on the bizarre choice by SE to alienate millions of potential customers simply because MS threw a lot of money in their direction.

There's a lot of salt in this thread. If RotTR was announced as a PC exclusive I'd be so salty about that decision since I'm a console gamer. No need to deny what's all on this thread, salt.

With Garden Warfare, they announced "exclusive to Xbox/PC" but still showed EA published the game. All signs point to timed exclusive now. Now SE's logic makes more sense now. Now it is not a stupid move.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I don't get why people are saying timed exclusive.

The statement clearly says it's an exclusive and that PS4 and PC owners can look forward to Temple of Osiris.

Will it be released in other platforms in the future? Maybe, but the information today is that for the time being it's locked to the Xbone.

MSFT has done timed exclusives before, but their paid exclusives generally are exclusives for years, so IMO any opinion in timed exclusive is just plain ol' port begging; even if it's a mod saying it, or the fucking Dorito Pope speaking to his Kinect.

I-hate-u

It will help feel Xbone owners to temporarily feel good for owning the console.

As in will it help push more boxes. The original TR sold about 6 million units, with a good bulk of that on PS3 and PC. I am wondering if this it going to do anything for SE or MS.

It probably will for SE seeing as how its probably timed.

Wereroku

This whole situation makes me more inclined to believe that Square was solely responsible for the vita type-o announcement. Why can't one of the Microsoft guys just come out and say that it is lifetime exclusive to Xbox if that is the case since they did it with Titanfall.

MayMay

Banned
There's a lot of salt in this thread. If RotTR was announced as a PC exclusive I'd be so salty about that decision since I'm a console gamer. No need to deny what's all on this thread, salt.

There's a difference between salt, and genuine disappointment from fans that have been there since day 1 in 1996

Renzoku

Banned
lol. All you guys talking about "it's totally timed" are PC fans, right? Because if you're PS4 and arguing for that...

XLxzUhQ.jpg

Even if so, I'd be surprised if we saw the game on PS4 before 2017. Which is sad because I was definitely looking forward to it.

Yeah, totally dude. It's not like there have been dozens of timed exclusives in the past released for other systems within as little as a year from the release of the original.

It's not like Dead Rising 3, another XBO "exclusive" was announced for PC release mere months after its release or anything.

Mononoke

Banned
How does this logic come from trying to get clarity.

Geoff can't win. People accuse him of being a corporate PR shill, unwilling to ask questions that benefit the consumer. He then asks questions (wants to know information for the consumer), and now he's a Sony shill.

I'm not a fan of Geoff's overall industry rep/persona work. But this is ridiculous lol

lawful

Banned
It basically just means a publisher decided to do something for one specific platform because said platform gave them a ton of money.

Man like dude, they should be like in it for like, the fans maaaaaaaaaaan. for the love of the art maaaaaaaaaan.

Seriously though, what else would they work for?

Top Bottom