• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 2: Dark Waters revealed [New Details p#172]

Status
Not open for further replies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
psykomyko said:
Your right it was. Is there any deals on this game right now? Hesitant to pay $30 on Steam.

Wait for a big sale. It may be a good game but I didn't like it all. Something was off. On the other hand I bought Divinity II right after I played the new demo, so it's a matter of taste.

-SD-

Banned
Neuromancer said:
So are Piranha Bytes going to do their own console port?
PB does the PC version only. What comes to console ports, it looks like it's Wizarbox again. The same folks who ported Risen to Xbox 360.

John

Blackace said:
I loved a lot about Risen.. but I felt the pacing was not very good. I love open world gameplay but something felt blah about Risen until you get much deeper in the game.. maybe it was the music that sucked the life out of the game..

Also wish I could make my character..
i love the risen soundtrack a ton, especially the instrumentation reacting to the day/night cycle. very clever, and totally organic with it too.

i could see that someone might think it too passive, i guess, but i thought it was intimate. which is great.

-SD-

Banned
risen2j811.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I haven't been keeping up with this. Will this let you level up your ship, shipmates, and whatnot like the cancelled Pirates of the Caribbean game?

That's what I want is an equal amount of on foot and on boat stuff.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Awesome. I'm still working on Risen 1 but it's a damn good open world game. It's been awhile since I've played a game that made exploration feel so exciting and dangerous (aside from STALKER). It's got a lot of room for improvement, though, but that makes the sequel that much more appealing.

Love the pirate theme, too. I hope there is some good piratey music.

Ricker

Game was awesome but I hope they improve the quest tracking for one,the first had some bugs and what not that made some quest hard to find,like if you needed to find 5 places,it didn`t erase the tracker(red dot on the map)so you had to make sure you remembered which you had discovered...it was not a come back after a week of not playing friendly game because of this hehe...

Can`t wait for this one.

Ricker said:
Game was awesome but I hope they improve the quest tracking for one,the first had some bugs and what not that made some quest hard to find,like if you needed to find 5 places,it didn`t erase the tracker(red dot on the map)so you had to make sure you remembered which you had discovered...it was not a come back after a week of not playing friendly game because of this hehe...

Can`t wait for this one.
I loved Risen but let's face it, there's a lot to fix. Especially on console.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Neuromancer said:

Combat is definitely in need of some improvement. I prefer that they keep it simple, but dodging, parrying and the targeting can all be frustrating. Most of it is just a matter of polish, and as a Eastern European-made open world RPG on a modest budget, it was basically a perfect storm of buggy/jankiness. I prefer that they don't make finding places easy necessarily, part of the fun is exploring the map and seeking out locations yourself rather than just following a giant floating arrow but it wouldn't hurt for it to be a bit more intuitive.

Not everyone likes this kind of stuff, but I'd like to see something like a fully realized version of what Fallout New Vegas tried to do with hardcore mode. It would be badass if you had to hunt for and cook food to survive, and to find and purify water and stuff like that. Risen has a great skills system and all the pieces are in place for something like that.

Excited for this, though. As I said, Risen is damn good but it's prime for some major improvements that can take it to an elite level.

edit - Oh yeah, and controller support is a must. I prefer KB/M in most cases but it would work great with Risen.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Haven't kept up with this. Will there be ownable ships which I can upgrade? That's a HUGE reason why I wanted Armada of the Damned was for on and off shore leveling

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DanielJr82 said:
Never tried the original Risen, but this one looks very promising. It's on my radar now.

You really, really should.

Snuggler said:
Combat is definitely in need of some improvement. I prefer that they keep it simple, but dodging, parrying and the targeting can all be frustrating. Most of it is just a matter of polish, and as a Eastern European-made open world RPG on a modest budget, it was basically a perfect storm of buggy/jankiness. I prefer that they don't make finding places easy necessarily, part of the fun is exploring the map and seeking out locations yourself rather than just following a giant floating arrow but it wouldn't hurt for it to be a bit more intuitive.

Not everyone likes this kind of stuff, but I'd like to see something like a fully realized version of what Fallout New Vegas tried to do with hardcore mode. It would be badass if you had to hunt for and cook food to survive, and to find and purify water and stuff like that. Risen has a great skills system and all the pieces are in place for something like that.

Excited for this, though. As I said, Risen is damn good but it's prime for some major improvements that can take it to an elite level.

edit - Oh yeah, and controller support is a must. I prefer KB/M in most cases but it would work great with Risen.
Errr ... Isn't PB in Germany or Austria or something like that?

zoner said:
Haven't kept up with this. Will there be ownable ships which I can upgrade? That's a HUGE reason why I wanted Armada of the Damned was for on and off shore leveling
Hmm good question. Outside of some screen shots and a brief description we don't really know anything about this game.

JudgeN

Neuromancer said:

I agree big time, I love the exploration of Risen but once you cleared the island (took me 30 hours or so) and the story took over the game feel off a massive cliff. Alot of what needs to be improved has already been said but my personal opinion would be to add more loot.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Risen > Gothic

I know Risen had it's fair share of issues, but the combat felt beefier than Gothic. The island seemed more interactive and there was definitely a sense of exploration and danger.

I'm hyped for a sequel and I hope the devs have improved upon what they have.

BeeDog

Kuro Madoushi said:
Risen > Gothic

I know Risen had it's fair share of issues, but the combat felt beefier than Gothic. The island seemed more interactive and there was definitely a sense of exploration and danger.

I'm hyped for a sequel and I hope the devs have improved upon what they have.

The combat is definitely better in Risen, but it can't touch Gothic 2 when it comes to the game world and the exploration aspect. I have a hard time seeing any Piranha Bytes game ever topping Gothic 2 and its expansion. With that said, bring on the Risen 2 trailer!

Ceebs

JudgeN said:
I agree big time, I love the exploration of Risen but once you cleared the island (took me 30 hours or so) and the story took over the game feel off a massive cliff. Alot of what needs to be improved has already been said but my personal opinion would be to add more loot.
More weapons and shields maybe, but keep the armor count low. It makes upgrades a huge deal. I was super excited when I found an ugly leather hat in Risen. It was such a big deal I can actually recount making my way to a ruined out castle on a cliffside and fighting off multiple skeletons just to reach the top of the only remaining spire and locate the chest with my hat inside. You do not get moments like that if there is loot all over.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ceebs said:
More weapons and shields maybe, but keep the armor count low. It makes upgrades a huge deal. I was super excited when I found an ugly leather hat in Risen. It was such a big deal I can actually recount making my way to a ruined out castle on a cliffside and fighting off multiple skeletons just to reach the top of the only remaining spire and locate the chest with my hat inside. You do not get moments like that if there is loot all over.

I completely agree. The same goes for MMORPGs and is exactly why the experiences in older titles like EverQuest felt meaningful while "modern" MMORPGs are so empty in comparison.

Downloaded and played through the demo for Risen. It was a taste of the core mechanics and good to see what the game ran like on my system but that shit just ended too abruptly. Oh well, the demo was enough to know that I'm buying the shit out of Risen once I work my way through a few other games.

Ceebs

jaundicejuice said:
Downloaded and played through the demo for Risen. It was a taste of the core mechanics and good to see what the game ran like on my system but that shit just ended too abruptly. Oh well, the demo was enough to know that I'm buying the shit out of Risen once I work my way through a few other games.
The demo is honestly straight up awful. If you enjoyed that you will be blown away by the full game.

Ceebs said:
I agree, hope they keep with the quantity over quality theme. I was in rags for what felt like a third of the game. When I got my first armor, it was fucking amazing.

JoeBoy101

Incidentally, RPS just posted this on their website:

Linkie

I’ve been travelling for 25 hours, and now I’m in Utah. There’s snow, and buildings made from wood. Why do I tell you this? Because I’m knackered and want to have a little moan. Pity me. Weep for me. Tell me you love me.

Cheery news, however: 1) there’s a big pot of coffee right next to me. 2) Gothic creators Piranha Bytes might be getting their original franchise/universe back, having had to hand over the rights to erstwhile publisher JoWood some time ago.

This story’s waters are far from muddied, however. It began with one of Piranha Bytes’ founders, Mike Hoge (if only he was called Mike Huge), telling fansite Gothicz.net that “We get the rights to Gothic back when we have finished Risen 2. Why? Because we did only sell them to our ex-publisher for a certain amount of time.”

Woah! In case you didn’t follow the background, Piranha Bytes created the semi-great Risen since their (legally-resolved) rift with JoWood, and have a bold, piratey sequel in the works. Meantime, JoWood used their wrangled rights to publish the monotonously stupid Arcania: Gothic IV, the expansion pack for which was recently laid low by unspecified legal problems.

…Which may or may not be related to JoWood’s ongoing insolvency crisis. Things aren’t looking too rosy for those dudes, so I guess the question of what happens to their various IPs in the event the worst does happen is a pertinent one.

However, over on a German forum, another PB blokey, Michael Rüve, attempts to pour cold water on the happy fansplonsion.

Observing that Mike ‘Not Mike Huge’ Hoge is “in no way a lawyer”, Ruve says to take his comments “with a grain of salt”, claiming that “For me there is no need to comment on our contractual position with JoWooD. The fact that we are not currently working on Gothic well known. Jowood currently has other worries. Speculation about the future Risen 2 is just that – speculation.”

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
JoeBoy101 said:
Incidentally, RPS just posted this on their website:

Linkie

Just read that. Honestly, while we still know rather little about it, I rather prefer Risen's world to Gothic's.

bengraven

I will admit, I really really want to get into these games (I own Risen, Gothic 2 and 3) but every time I do I get to point where...hate to admit it...it gets a bit too hard to get anything done. I just walk out into the wilderness and something kills me. Which is a huge bulletpoint/plus for some gamers. Maybe I'm just whiny.

That said, after I finish my second Witcher playthrough I might take a crack right before Witcher 2 comes out.

gothic actually had a fleshed out world. Risen while a worthy attempt, is still a wannabe from a developer that's desperate to rekindle the sheer magic they created with their first two games.

BeeDog

fizzelopeguss said:
gothic actually had a fleshed out world. Risen while a worthy attempt, is still a wannabe from a developer that's desperate to rekindle the sheer magic they created with their first two games.

Seriously, no game has come close to Gothic 2's game world (that is, with the expansion pack). While I love Risen (it's a fantastic game), I can't understand how anyone who has played them both can prefer Risen's game world, which is extremely small in comparison.

First game was god awful. I am surprised that it sold enough to warrant a sequel. Actually what do people find fun about the Gothic games and its clones? They were all horribly broken and shallow. I don't think I ever got Gothic 3 to launch lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom