• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 2: Dark Waters revealed [New Details p#172]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
perfectnight said:
First game was god awful. I am surprised that it sold enough to warrant a sequel. Actually what do people find fun about the Gothic games and its clones? They were all horribly broken and shallow.
Get out

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
perfectnight said:
First game was god awful.
b458f1e2afe107083f3595a30e59d3c4b8c5cc91.jpg

-SD-

Banned
perfectnight said:
First game was god awful. I am surprised that it sold enough to warrant a sequel. Actually what do people find fun about the Gothic games and its clones? They were all horribly broken and shallow.
I'm of the complete opposite opinion. Sad that you've missed what makes Piranha Bytes' games the best in the business.

perfectnight said:
First game was god awful. I am surprised that it sold enough to warrant a sequel. Actually what do people find fun about the Gothic games and its clones? They were all horribly broken and shallow. I don't think I ever got Gothic 3 to launch lol..

It was definitely...rough around the edges, but that's euro rpgs for you. You either love him or you don't, like us apparently.

perfectnight said:
First game was god awful. I am surprised that it sold enough to warrant a sequel. Actually what do people find fun about the Gothic games and its clones? They were all horribly broken and shallow. I don't think I ever got Gothic 3 to launch lol..
I bite my thumb at you, sir

-SD- said:
I'm of the complete opposite opinion. Sad that you've missed what makes Piranha Bytes' games the best in the business.
And what would that be? The combat is Gothic 2 was probably the worst I've ever experienced in any RPG. IIRC the world was pretty big and you could do a lot of stuff except none of it was very fun (to me) due to the bad combat system/bugs/awful controls.

-SD-

Banned
perfectnight said:
And what would that be? The combat is Gothic 2 was probably the worst I've ever experienced in any RPG. IIRC the world was pretty big and you could do a lot of stuff except none of it was very fun (to me) due to the bad combat system/bugs/awful controls.
Again, I'm of the opposite opinion that you are. Loved the combat, controls were good and flowed well. There were a few bugs but no game-breaking ones.

Gothic 2: Night Of The Raven is my Best Game Ever™

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The combat worked fine for me, except for the last boss which just had a horrible setup with the whole platform jumping crap. It's not like combat in the likes of Oblivion is fun or anything close to that... Best Risen parts for me were the adventure-like quests in the cities and settlements that you could solve in various ways, some of them surprising. Oh and that depending on your choices you skipped loads of stuff or did extra stuff, if I remember right.

Dennis

Banned
-SD- said:
I like it. Strong pirate theme and some voodoo magic.

Can't wait for the first gameplay video.

subversus said:
fuck this, I know I'm overreacting but every game presenting itself with the cinematic trailer at the start of campaign from now on = bargain bin for me. Build up hype and then cockblock people, yeah.

There are a lot of games on the market, I'll wait.
So every game is bargain bin for you

Ceebs

subversus said:
fuck this, I know I'm overreacting but every game presenting itself with the cinematic trailer at the start of campaign from now on = bargain bin for me. Build up hype and then cockblock people, yeah.

There are a lot of games on the market, I'll wait.
It's probably just the opening CG from the game (Like the original's bit with the ship in the storm)

Siegfried

Risen 1 was amazing! It had some crappy achievements that pissed me off while trying to 1000 it on the 360, but overall, my first playthrough of the game was extremely pleasing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The combat in Risen was awesome, but it was plagued with some pretty bad animation.

I really liked that player skill actually mattered, and it wasn't just a numbers game (although numbers played a part). You won't do well if you just try to brute force your way through. When I first started the game, I was getting obliterated by wildlife near the starting beach. By the time I beat the game once and started over again, I was a complete badass that demolished everything in my path.

Ceebs

Neuromancer said:
Very cool. We have far too few pirate themed games these days.

So are we to understand that's the girl from the first game?
Are you talking about the Lena Headey character? I would not be surprised to see her show up in this once since she went off in search of her pirate father's other treasure. (at least in my game, pretty sure that quest could end a few ways)

Ceebs said:
Are you talking about the Lena Headey character? I would not be surprised to see her show up in this once since she went off in search of her pirate father's other treasure. (at least in my game, pretty sure that quest could end a few ways)
Yeah I guess, or the girl that was a shipwreck survivor with you. I guess this is a completely different girl though.

Ceebs

Neuromancer said:
Yeah I guess, or the girl that was a shipwreck survivor with you. I guess this is a completely different girl though.
Shipwreck girl went off to work on a farm after the first 15 minutes and was never seen again. XD.

Don't know how I feel about this. Bought the first game. Seems... mediocre. But I am also a sucker for these sort of shitty open world rpg games.

Salaadin

GrandHarrier said:
Don't know how I feel about this. Bought the first game. Seems... mediocre. But I am also a sucker for these sort of shitty open world rpg games.

Its has its issues but its hardly mediocre. My biggest problem was the combat..it felt very stiff to me.

Ah ha, justified!

End game spoilers from Risen courtesy of Wikipedia:

After the credits roll, dialogue between the main character and Patty, the daughter of an infamous pirate, suggests that the two will travel to the mainland to fight the Titans in the sequel.

Ceebs

Neuromancer said:
Ah ha, justified!

End game spoilers from Risen courtesy of Wikipedia:

After the credits roll, dialogue between the main character and Patty, the daughter of an infamous pirate, suggests that the two will travel to the mainland to fight the Titans in the sequel.
Oh yeah, the girl from the very beginning of the game is the one I was talking about vanishing.

Salaadin said:
Its has its issues but its hardly mediocre. My biggest problem was the combat..it felt very stiff to me.

Maybe that is it? One thing that I've found that immediately takes me out of most games is whether or not the character "feels" like it belongs in that world from an animation standpoint. You know what I'm talking about; Ever see shitty korean MMOs and how monsters appear to be little more than one layer moving across a second layer? Oblivion has the same thing when you go into third person mode (fallout too, obv). When you're in first person it is fine, but there is that animation disconnect in 3rd person that very few games seem to get right.

For the record, I'm that type that buys troubled games like Venetica and Arcania 4, despite them both being subpar.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
GrandHarrier said:
Maybe that is it? One thing that I've found that immediately takes me out of most games is whether or not the character "feels" like it belongs in that world from an animation standpoint. You know what I'm talking about; Ever see shitty korean MMOs and how monsters appear to be little more than one layer moving across a second layer? Oblivion has the same thing when you go into third person mode (fallout too, obv). When you're in first person it is fine, but there is that animation disconnect in 3rd person that very few games seem to get right.

For the record, I'm that type that buys troubled games like Venetica and Arcania 4, despite them both being subpar.

If you managed to get any enjoyment out of Arcania, you should love Risen. It's the best open world RPG in years. The combat is stiff due to the weak animation, but as you get better at it, it becomes very satisfying.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
That trailer was underwhelming. Story is not a strong point in Risen, but I like the art style and atmosphere.

I'm playing through the first game on 360 right now. Besides it being a bad port, it does a lot of things very well and is a great game overall. I look forward to seeing how Risen 2 improves.

atre324

I really loved the first Risen, although I think I didn't really get the full experience out of it. I had just finished 250+ hours of Morrowind + all expansions when I started it, and I lost my patience so quickly so I enabled cheat codes to make myself invincible and have unlimited money. Still, I loved the way the island is laid out and it definitely had some of the most satisfying dungeon exploration of any open world rpg I've played.

I know I missed out a lot on the combat system so I've been meaning to go back through, probably before the 2nd one is released so I can play them both in a row.

Is it worth getting into the Gothic series? I don't think Gothic 3 looks too dated, but should I start with Arcania?

Ceebs

atre324 said:
I really loved the first Risen, although I think I didn't really get the full experience out of it. I had just finished 250+ hours of Morrowind + all expansions when I started it, and I lost my patience so quickly so I enabled cheat codes to make myself invincible and have unlimited money. Still, I loved the way the island is laid out and it definitely had some of the most satisfying dungeon exploration of any open world rpg I've played.

I know I missed out a lot on the combat system so I've been meaning to go back through, probably before the 2nd one is released so I can play them both in a row.

Is it worth getting into the Gothic series? I don't think Gothic 3 looks too dated, but should I start with Arcania?
Forget Arcania exists. It's for the best.

Gothic 3 is a fantastic game but it is a technical mess like you have never seen. There are an immense amount of fan patches and fixes and it still has issues.

atre324

it almost sounds like you're saying I should stick with Risen and forget about the Gothic series altogether, haha...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ceebs said:
Forget Arcania exists. It's for the best.

Gothic 3 is a fantastic game but it is a technical mess like you have never seen. There are an immense amount of fan patches and fixes and it still has issues.

I've got to give Gothic 3 another try now that I have a modern quad core processor.

Hopefully I'll be able to brute force it into running smoothly.

Ceebs

atre324 said:
it almost sounds like you're saying I should stick with Risen and forget about the Gothic series altogether, haha...
If you are sensitive to large amounts of jank skip Gothic 3, if you are sensitive to very dated graphics and controls skip the first 2.

Zefah said:
I've got to give Gothic 3 another try now that I have a modern quad core processor.

Hopefully I'll be able to brute force it into running smoothly.
It feels like I need a SSD to put the game on to get it running smooth. I get a fine framerate with high settings with a dual core and a 4870, but constant hitching every few meters making me think it's having trouble streaming the data in.

Minsc

Gold Member
atre324 said:

Skipping Gothic 1 + 2 for Gothic 3 is a bit like skipping Baldur's Gate 1 + 2 for Dragon Age Origins imo.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Minsc said:
Skipping Gothic 1 + 2 for Gothic 3 is a bit like skipping Baldur's Gate 1 + 2 for Dragon Age Origins imo.

that's what I did.

Not a fair comparison. You can get past the beginning in Gothica without reading a manual.

Minsc

Gold Member
subversus said:
that's what I did.

Not a fair comparison. You can get past the beginning in Gothica without reading a manual.

I know, I'd have to take a couple points off the Gothic games for not needing a manual to play them.

Kyaw

Thinking of getting Risen 1. Would i enjoy it as a Witcher and KOTOR fan?
Also, is it real time combat?

BeeDog

Kyaw said:
Thinking of getting Risen 1. Would i enjoy it as a Witcher and KOTOR fan?
Also, is it real time combat?

Risen is really nothing alike those games, so it's hard to say. It's much more open-ended, and it's also harder since the game pretty much dumps you in a game world and says "have a go at it". The narrative side of the game pales in comparison to the games you mentioned, but personally I find Risen to be muuuuuch, much better than Witcher 1 and KoTOR. And yes, the combat is in real-time.

BeeDog

Kyaw said:
So the story is weaker?
How about the quests? A lot of generic pick up or go kill quests?

The quests are solid, but there is a fair number of fetch quests but also unique ones. The Witcher had tons of boring fetch quests, but the script helped alleviate the utter boredom somewhat, but it's worth pointing out that Risen doesn't have the same type of dialogue role-playing as Witcher or (especially) KoTOR. So if you like talking your way out of combat situations and finish quests peacefully, you won't find that kind of stuff in Risen. Risen is simply an exploration-heavy RPG with a game-world that is infinitely better than the boring worlds in KoTOR and Witcher.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
alcohol and women play an important role

fantastic

Details sound great for the most part. I know it's a tall order, but I would have loved to be able to actually pilot my boat across the bodies of water instead of it just being a form of quick travel to another map. Still, I think this game is gonna be something special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom